HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Leighton clears re-entry waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
  #326
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,347
vCash: 500
Thank ****ing god no one claimed him

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
  #327
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There are definitely a lot of people out there who think that Leighton will bring this team the Cup. Not here, but they're out there. Twitter is an ugly place right now.
So is Facebook.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
  #328
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
I hope he starts the last two games of the season just for the lulz. If he got a shutout it would hysterical.

This isn't really a bad move if you think about it( ). Last year in the playoffs, all four of our top 4 defensemen were playing like legitimate 1st pairing shutdown D... likely due to the fact that they had to babysit Micheal Leighton for 60-65 minutes.
We also had goalie injuries (obviously) in the playoffs. I understand Holmgren's concern about injury, but this was a big risk to take when (theoretically) you aren't even planning on dressing/playing Leighton most likely.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
  #329
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Thank ****ing god no one claimed him
It was such a genius move by Holmgren.....

Love the rationale of some now that he passed through waivers. It is akin to walking in the worst neighborhood in Camden to buy some contraband and coming out unscathed and claiming your street smarts or whatever is what prevented you from getting hurt assualted etc very badly.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
  #330
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,781
vCash: 500
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
It was such a genius move by Holmgren.....

Love the rationale of some now that he passed through waivers. It is akin to walking in the worst neighborhood in Camden to buy some contraband and coming out unscathed and claiming your street smarts or whatever is what prevented you from getting hurt assualted etc very badly.....
Love the rationale that Holmgren was doing this with nothing but a hope and a prayer. He knew that Leighton wouldn't be claimed.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
  #331
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.
This is a smart move? If he was claimed, you probablly wouldnt be posting anything since we would be ripping Homer a new one.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
  #332
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.



Love the rationale that Holmgren was doing this with nothing but a hope and a prayer. He knew that Leighton wouldn't be claimed.
It was a high risk low reward move....it was stupid!

BTW: Please post the minutes of the meeting where management discussed the FACT according to you that they KNEW he wouldn't be claimed....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  #333
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.



Love the rationale that Holmgren was doing this with nothing but a hope and a prayer. He knew that Leighton wouldn't be claimed.
Is Backlund waiver eligible?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
  #334
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,317
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
This is a smart move? If he was claimed, you probablly wouldnt be posting anything since we would be ripping Homer a new one.
He wasn't. So it there's nothing wrong with the move. Sure there was risk, but it played well for the Flyers and he didn't get claimed. If he got claimed, bad move. But he didn't. If you sign a FA, make a trade, draft a guy, etc that has some risk and he winds up sucking, then it's a bad move. If the player turns out to play well, then it's a good move. There is no point in judging a move based on the risk that never came to be.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
  #335
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Finally, hanging your hat on LOL-eighton as insurance is like a paper umbrella. His added value is almost negligible.
Hmmmmm. If having Leighton as a THIRD string goalie is like a paper umbrella and his added value was negligible, than was it really a gamble? Why so concerned a team would take him at 700k if that's his value?

you're arguing from both sides of your mouth.
Make a stand, brother.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
  #336
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.
Why would he "DEFINITELY" have been claimed in two weeks? The rationale for claiming him wouldn't be any different... and the Machiavellian incentive wouldn't be any different.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
  #337
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He wasn't. So it there's nothing wrong with the move. Sure there was risk, but it played well for the Flyers and he didn't get claimed. If he got claimed, bad move. But he didn't. If you sign a FA, make a trade, draft a guy, etc that has some risk and he winds up sucking, then it's a bad move. If the player turns out to play well, then it's a good move. There is no point in judging a move based on the risk that never came to be.
So, if you run through rush hour traffic and don't get hit... it was a good decision?

The juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:00 PM
  #338
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Hmmmmm. If having Leighton as a THIRD string goalie is like a paper umbrella and his added value was negligible, than was it really a gamble? Why so concerned a team would take him at 700k if that's his value?

you're arguing from both sides of your mouth.
Make a stand, brother.
Uh, we're concerned because the Flyers are on the hook for 750k they can't afford if he was picked up. It was an unnecessary risk.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-06-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgot a zero
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
  #339
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yet again Holmgren makes a 'stupid' move that turns out to be pretty smart after the HF-Mensa group have done dousing his effigy in petrol.

If either goalie got injured in two weeks and we called up Leighton he would DEFINITELY have been claimed. We do it now to cover this eventuality and did it at a time where nobody is likely to claim him.



Love the rationale that Holmgren was doing this with nothing but a hope and a prayer. He knew that Leighton wouldn't be claimed.
How do you know that Homer knew that Leighton wouldn't be claimed? It's a serious question, has there been any quotes with him alluding to clearing with the other GM's beforehand? Because if he did that, then yes, this may have very well been the right move. Gambling on no one picking up Leighton just in case we'd get an injury, and thereby risking ~750K in dead cap when we're already having trouble fitting the players we want back next year, without such an assurance however is definitely not the sign of a genius.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
  #340
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
One thing is the team played better defense with leighton in net than they did with others. When they know they don't have Bob back there, maybe they play harder D, and try to score more because you never know when a sharp angle shot may be coming.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
  #341
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Uh, we're concerned because the Flyers are on the hook for 75k they can't afford if he was picked up. It was an unnecessary risk.
Maybe, but in the same breath as saying he's a horrible goalie who isn't even 3rd string worthy, you are worried about another team picking him up.

Why would anyone want him if he's so bad? Where's the risk he'll get claimed if he;s not even the 3rd best goalie on a team everyone seems to think goal is the weakspot?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
  #342
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Hmmmmm. If having Leighton as a THIRD string goalie is like a paper umbrella and his added value was negligible, than was it really a gamble? Why so concerned a team would take him at 700k if that's his value?

you're arguing from both sides of your mouth.
Make a stand, brother.
What part of saying it was a stupid move is not a stance? Also what part of being on the hook unecessarily for 700K is smart? Again this is about risk management 101..something Holmgren is not very astute in but happens to slide at times except when it bites him in the butt and he says "it is what it is." Seriously, you are the one who's blathering poo from your orifice....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
  #343
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,317
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So, if you run through rush hour traffic and don't get hit... it was a good decision?

The juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
We're talking about sports moves here. Not risking your life. This is just another reason for people to hate on Homer. He makes a risky move that works out and he is stupid. He makes a risky move that doesn't pay off, he is stupid. I guess it would be better if all GMs never made any risky moves because they are always stupid even when they work out. The bottom line is he cleared. I'm not saying there was no risk involved, but just because there was a risk doesn't make it a bad move.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
  #344
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Maybe, but in the same breath as saying he's a horrible goalie who isn't even 3rd string worthy, you are worried about another team picking him up.

Why would anyone want him if he's so bad? Where's the risk he'll get claimed if he;s not even the 3rd best goalie on a team everyone seems to think goal is the weakspot?
...the general consensus is that he's fine as a backup around here. Don't know what site you've been reading... unless you're taking the residual bitterness of last year too much to heart.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
  #345
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,948
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Uh, we're concerned because the Flyers are on the hook for 75k they can't afford if he was picked up. It was an unnecessary risk.
thats 750k if he was claimed. or about what hes really worth.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
  #346
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
We're talking about sports moves here. Not risking your life. This is just another reason for people to hate on Homer. He makes a risky move that works out and he is stupid. He makes a risky move that doesn't pay off, he is stupid. I guess it would be better if all GMs never made any risky moves because they are always stupid even when they work out. The bottom line is he cleared. I'm not saying there was no risk involved, but just because there was a risk doesn't make it a bad move.
We are, but I'm using your logic analysis of the decision making to the extreme to point out how shallow the analysis was. "Well, he got through... good decision" don't *ing fly.

No one denied that having Leighton on the team at this point is a general good thing from a depth perspective. By Holmgren's own admission, however, they are not bringing him up to serve as anything more than depth (perhaps that was a lie?).

So, the gains here: a guy that is going to sit in the press box.

Potential downside: inability to sign a scoring forward next season.

That's an amazingly lopsided pro/con situation there... if you go through life making decisions like that, you're going to end up living on the street. But Holmgren operates in the world of sports, so whatever.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
  #347
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
I forgot to add that I'm very glad that Leighton did make it through though. Makes this day a lot better than it's been so far (stupid rain). Also, while I believe Leighton to be one of the worst goalies I've ever seen (worse than Bobrovsky or Boucher for sure) if there is in fact some feeling amongst the Flyers players that they're more secure with Leighton in net, by all means play the hell out of him. It won't be good for my heart, but so be it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
  #348
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Maybe, but in the same breath as saying he's a horrible goalie who isn't even 3rd string worthy, you are worried about another team picking him up.

Why would anyone want him if he's so bad? Where's the risk he'll get claimed if he;s not even the 3rd best goalie on a team everyone seems to think goal is the weakspot?
He can be fine as a backup for a team that needs one. Several teams need one.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
  #349
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.
I didn't... maybe I should have, huh?

My hunch was correct... I suppose other teams were not so confident on him going forward. As an insurance policy he will be good for this postseason... Homer's information proved to be much better than those who heard Leight's would be snapped up. For the sake of all the Flayers fans who want a Cup, let's hope that this proved to be a great move.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
  #350
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,317
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We are, but I'm using your logic analysis of the decision making to the extreme to point out how shallow the analysis was. "Well, he got through... good decision" don't *ing fly.

No one denied that having Leighton on the team at this point is a general good thing from a depth perspective. By Holmgren's own admission, however, they are not bringing him up to serve as anything more than depth (perhaps that was a lie?).

So, the gains here: a guy that is going to sit in the press box.

Potential downside: inability to sign a scoring forward next season.

That's an amazingly lopsided pro/con situation there... if you go through life making decisions like that, you're going to end up living on the street. But Holmgren operates in the world of sports, so whatever.
Exactly, this is sports, not your life. I would make FAR greater risks as a sports GM than I would with my life so it is silly to treat the two situations as the same. I know there were risks. I know what the risks were. But they were bringing him up as added depth, which certainly isn't as "shallow" as you make it out to be (see: last season). If he got claimed, yes, it would have been disastrous. But he didn't. So how can you say it was a bad move? What was bad about it? That something that could have happened? Why is that more important than what did happen?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.