HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

UPDATE: Leighton clears re-entry waivers

Old
04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Holmgren's quote regarding this move and the status of Bobrovsky and Boucher: “They both know this is strictly a depth thing for us in the playoffs,” Holmgren said. “It’s not an issue with those guys. They both knew it was coming.”
I love how he just assumes that Leighton will clear and it will automatically become a "depth move" and just doesn't mention at all that there's a chance he might not even make it through waivers.
Something stinks man

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but how is it that now at the most important time of the year the net won't be crowded at the practice facility like it was when they sent him down and said they had to b/c the goalies weren't getting the propper practice time??? This whole situation reeks of lies and FAIL.....
The only difference I see between that point in time and the current situation is that Leighton has since played in the AHL. At the earlier point, the practice time was necessitated because of the injury. That said, it is rarely ideal to have three goalies in practice. My guess is those answers will be issued once the waiver period has past.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Madude

Maby other GMs feel pity and wont claim Leighton.

No but really, just un-****ing-beliveably stupid move. All risk zero reward.

Madude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You disagree that Leighton has spent his career as an NHL disappointment?
Yes. But I liked the signing of Leighton. I understood us sending him down due to his back issue. I DO NOT understand us sending him through re-entry waivers to lose 800,000 on next years cap (Leino). That, I cannot understand.

On Leighton, I still like him as a goalie. It would not surprise me at all to see him having success in the NHL next year and beyond. Leighton, Craig Anderson, Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, Mary Turco.....these are the same goalie if you ask me. I like Leighton in Philly more than any of those guys, but not on re-entry waivers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Do you think the front office forgot that he is signed for next year

This is his worst move yet, if he clears great, but in no way was this a risk you could take !

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I want everyone to focus on the bold. Holmgren is taking a MASSIVE RISK with a player they're not even medically comfortable with in the event he does pass through waivers.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Meh, the health concern doesn't bother me. He is playing in the AHL so it isn't like he's not healthy enough to play. If he was on IR or about to go on IR that's another story, but he has played in at least the last six or seven games. If he makes it through I have no problem with this move. If he gets claimed, this is going to be a killer.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Am I missing something here in all the hysteria? Leighton cannot play for any other team his season and his Cap hit will only be 1/2 against the Flyers if he is on an NHL roster... If he is in the AHL he will cost the Flyers cash but no Cap space... A team claiming him has to use him to in the NHL to hurt the Flyers in any way other than keeping him out of the Postseason mix for them... which he is if they they not recall him anyway.

The only possible real concern other than the cash spent on another Organization next season is if it will have negative effects on Bob & Boosh... But if they are fine with him being a depth player, their is no problem... And they haven't been practicing anyway so there is no real problem there, and in the POs they will have three goalies at practice no matter if he is one of them or not.

I really don't see another team grabbing him to carry on their 2011-12 roster even at a bargain if he has a good chance of being the damaged goods he is reported to be.

I believe the concern here is overblown considering the circumstances present.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Yes. But I liked the signing of Leighton. I understood us sending him down due to his back issue. I DO NOT understand us sending him through re-entry waivers to lose 800,000 on next years cap (Leino). That, I cannot understand.

On Leighton, I still like him as a goalie. It would not surprise me at all to see him having success in the NHL next year and beyond. Leighton, Craig Anderson, Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, Mary Turco.....these are the same goalie if you ask me. I like Leighton in Philly more than any of those guys, but not on re-entry waivers.
No, No, No. Anderson at least has one absolutely stellar year. Leighton has NO stellar years. In fact, he's never played anything close to a starter's load, and the one time he did...well, his back still hasn't healed. Leighton isn't like any of those goalies. Leighton is like Toskala.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ORYX

As much as it is a risk, how crappy would it be if one of Bob or Boucher got injured in the post season and the team we were facing claimed Leighton on the way up just so we had to bring up an inexperienced tender?

While it's risky, and I am hoping and praying he clears, its a much better situation then if someone got hurt in the post season.

He played well last season and playoffs, he has the experience that bob doesnt and more then Boucher in the playoffs, its a good idea to have him up, it just sucks that he has to go through waivers and it makes the option much less appealing, but IMO it had to be done sooner or later.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
nudpedler

Perhaps Leino has already signed a contract with another team so that make it easier to put him on re-entry waivers?

nudpedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudpedler View Post
Perhaps Leino has already signed a contract with another team so that make it easier to put him on re-entry waivers?
Something tells me he won't be back...maybe they are concerned about his hip and the fact he's been bonheaded of late with his turnovers...probably b/c of his bum hip. However, the guy when healthy is a definate asset and I would hate to lose a 40 to 50 (potential) assist player....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Am I missing something here in all the hysteria? Leighton cannot play for any other team his season and his Cap hit will only be 1/2 against the Flyers if he is on an NHL roster... If he is in the AHL he will cost the Flyers cash but no Cap space... A team claiming him has to use him to in the NHL to hurt the Flyers in any way other than keeping him out of the Postseason mix for them... which he is if they they not recall him anyway.

The only possible real concern other than the cash spent on another Organization next season is if it will have negative effects on Bob & Boosh... But if they are fine with him being a depth player, their is no problem... And they haven't been practicing anyway so there is no real problem there, and in the POs they will have three goalies at practice no matter if he is one of them or not.

I really don't see another team grabbing him to carry on their 2011-12 roster even at a bargain if he has a good chance of being the damaged goods he is reported to be.

You're missing the point...his cap hit will ONLY be 1/2 against the Flyers, ok that's still close to $800,000 they could use on someone else.

You don't see a team spending $800,000 just to take a chance on a back up who has stanley cup playoffs experience? Come on man, don't be so naive.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
You're missing the point...his cap hit will ONLY be 1/2 against the Flyers, ok that's still close to $800,000 they could use on someone else.

You don't see a team spending $800,000 just to take a chance on a back up who has stanley cup playoffs experience? Come on man, don't be so naive.
Maybe his 4.00 GAA and 80% save percentage in the finals will preclude a pick up...not to mention his infamous bad goal.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

From the newspaper beat writer who covers the Phantoms:

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?cat=784

Quote:
There’s a lot of implications for what that means for Leighton’s career and the Flyers goaltending situation. For the Phantoms, it’s pretty clear: the ride is over. By noon tomorrow Leighton will either be a Flyer again or the property of someone else for next season.

After seeing what we’ve all seen the few weeks, I’d be stunned if a team didn’t claim him for half price. They’d be foolish not to.

I know Leighton wishes to remain with the organization, but by tomorrow, he’s an NHLer again either way. That’s clearly where he deserves to be.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
I have a hard time believing that they'd be fine with it. I'm sure they'd never admit it, but Boucher has to be at least a bit ticked off. He's had a really solid season for the most part and he's about to get replaced. If Leighton is coming up for just depth, in case of injury, then why start him against Buffalo. I don't believe for one second that if Leighton plays well against Buffalo, he wouldn't be the #2 going into the playoffs.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

From Chuck Gormley:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, who tells me that if Michael Leighton clears re-call waivers the plan is to play him either Friday in Buffalo or Saturday at home against the Islanders.

Here’s a quick transcript of our conversation:

Can you explain the timing of recalling Michael?

When it gets right down to it, what’s the difference whether we recall him this week or next week? If we want to improve our goaltending depth it doesn’t matter. We’d like to get him in a game Friday or Saturday so he can see NHL action before the playoffs.

Are you doing this now because you think you have a better chance of getting him through waivers than you would on Monday?

That could happen at any time, too. If a team wanted him Monday they could take him then. Timing is not the issue. We think we’re a strong team, depth-wise, with Michael.

Are you confident he’ll clear?

You never know. It’s something we’ve planned on doing for a while. But you never know what other teams are thinking.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Maybe his 4.00 GAA and 80% save percentage in the finals will preclude a pick up...not to mention his infamous bad goal.
So you're telling me not 1 team in the NHL is going to pick him up just because of that? What were Niemi's stats in the finals btw

Old
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
From the newspaper beat writer who covers the Phantoms:

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?cat=784
AS they say "clearly" this beat writer covers an AHL team and not an NHL team for a reason if they think Leighton is the kind of caliber NHL goalies are made of. I am pretty sure the inconsistent Leighton couldn't stop a beach ball on one of his bad days...his good days on the other hand, used to be pretty legit.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It looks more and more that this is being done as a favor to him..get him back in the NHL one way or another. Not sure why we are reciprocating a favor when he LIED about his back!

Old
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

"What's the difference." A new tag.

Then again, "You never know."

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
So you're telling me not 1 team in the NHL is going to pick him up just because of that? What were Niemi's stats in the finals btw
Good enough to outplay him and win the cup....

Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh, the health concern doesn't bother me. He is playing in the AHL so it isn't like he's not healthy enough to play. If he was on IR or about to go on IR that's another story, but he has played in at least the last six or seven games. If he makes it through I have no problem with this move. If he gets claimed, this is going to be a killer.
...but if you have concerns about his health, why take the risk right now?

Quote:

Do you like Ville Leino? If someone claims him he's quite likely gone.

Assuming you like Ville Leino (or some other competent offensive player)... then there is a SERIOUS problem with putting a potential 750K of dead cap space on our roster next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
mirimon

And here I was having a good evening and enjoying life in general...

What the hell is this!? Unless Homer has gotten the other GM's gentlemens words (ok, so some of them aren't exactly gentlemen, but still) that they won't grab Leighton on re-entry, this is just an immensely stupid and unnecessary risk to take.

I'm gonna open a bottle of whiskey now.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
**** You, Paul.

At least display that you at some level grasp the pros and cons of the **** you do.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
It looks more and more that this is being done as a favor to him..get him back in the NHL one way or another. Not sure why we are reciprocating a favor when he LIED about his back!
Right? I thought he lied about his back last year but no one ever mentions it. You raise a very good point...based on the game-winner in the SCF and his dishonest history, we do not owe him any favors.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote