HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Leighton clears re-entry waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
  #151
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
You're missing the point...his cap hit will ONLY be 1/2 against the Flyers, ok that's still close to $800,000 they could use on someone else.

You don't see a team spending $800,000 just to take a chance on a back up who has stanley cup playoffs experience? Come on man, don't be so naive.
The point was he would count 1/2 ONLY if he is on an NHL roster... If he is not, the Flyers lose only the Salary and not the Cap space... I believe that you did not read that as I meant it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
  #152
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?
 
Wayne Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: your mind
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Good enough to outplay him and win the cup....
His team won the cup, not him...can't deny the fact that the Blackhawks were disgusting in front of him.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
  #153
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,950
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The point was he would count 1/2 ONLY if he is on an NHL roster... If he is not, the Flyers lose only the Salary and not the Cap space... I believe that you did not read that as I meant it.
I can see teams who have highly reliable starters grabbing him as a cheap backup, knowing he wouldn't see many starts. He would probably be an issue for the cap, unless he sucks badly enough that he gets sent down in short order.

edit: Or, someone like NYI.

edit2: Yeah, probably half of the East alone would consider grabbing him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
  #154
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The point was he would count 1/2 ONLY if he is on an NHL roster... If he is not, the Flyers lose only the Salary and not the Cap space... I believe that you did not read that as I meant it.
Why would you assume that Leighton would be in the AHL... more than a few teams (with waiver priority) that could easily use him on their NHL roster next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
  #155
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,712
vCash: 50
Flames, Habs, Sens, Leafs, Canes, Coyotes, Ducks, Pens,

All teams off top of my head that could use a close to league min back up !! WTF

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:43 PM
  #156
TOCxNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
I was hoping I'd have more of an understanding of this as the day went on.....but it's just getting more and more frustrating.

Idiotic

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
  #157
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,712
vCash: 50
If he is claimed, worst move by Holmer yet.
If he isn't claimed, Top 5 dumbest moves just because of the damn risk involved !!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
  #158
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,456
vCash: 500
Well not to think to far ahead, but next season we are going to have around alittle over 1.2 mil to sign 4 players... (counting lappy on the roster)


Thats gonna be fun.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
  #159
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, No, No. Anderson at least has one absolutely stellar year. Leighton has NO stellar years. In fact, he's never played anything close to a starter's load, and the one time he did...well, his back still hasn't healed. Leighton isn't like any of those goalies. Leighton is like Toskala.
Yeah, I disagree. I loved Leighton last year. He straight up saved our season when Boucher was pissing it away. Emery goes down and we lose 9 of 11 with Boucher in net. Leighton comes in and goes 8-2 while Boucher loses his only start in that stretch. Emery comes back and goes 5-3 and is shut down for the year. Leighton comes back in and goes 8-5. Boucher replaces an injured Leighton and goes 5-9 and we sneak in the playoffs.

Playoffs. Boucher was great. He has that in him. That is why I still like him this postseason and see no need to bring up Leighton. Leighton was also outstanding, going 8-3 in the playoffs (should be 8-5 since Boucher takes two losses in SCF due to Leighton pulled). SCF was terrible goaltending, and that is why most hate him. I still think the Flyers top 4 D were run down. Leighton almost stole game 2 and was good in games 3,4 and 6. Chicago beat us in game 6 4-3 IN OT outshooting us 41-24.....but it is all Leightons fault. Not me. I don't see it that way.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
  #160
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Whether he's claimed or not, it's FAIL-FAIL because he is still Michael Leighton

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
  #161
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Boucher wasn't the reason that team lost 9 of 11. He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either. The team was just playing like crap.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
  #162
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Do you like Ville Leino? If someone claims him he's quite likely gone.

Assuming you like Ville Leino (or some other competent offensive player)... then there is a SERIOUS problem with putting a potential 750K of dead cap space on our roster next year.
My point was that I don't believe that he will on an NHL roster next season... I believe he will not be picked up, and if he is the chances of his being on an NHL roster most of the season I believe to be small.

Now, if he is claimed and the Flyers have to work as if the Cap space is dead, they will have to work around it some way until he is no longer counting against the Cap... which hopefully would be during the season.

I'm counting/hoping on his not being claimed... and I fully realize the consequences if he is. I think the odds are on the Flyers side on this gamble, especially when projected out through the entire 2011-12 season considering Leighton's health concerns.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
  #163
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

If he's so ****** (career ahler), why would anyone want him?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
  #164
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?
 
Wayne Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: your mind
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
My point was that I don't believe that he will on an NHL roster next season... I believe he will not be picked up, and if he is the chances of his being on an NHL roster most of the season I believe to be small.

Now, if he is claimed and the Flyers have to work as if the Cap space is dead, they will have to work around it some way until he is no longer counting against the Cap... which hopefully would be during the season.

I'm counting/hoping on his not being claimed... and I fully realize the consequences if he is. I think the odds are on the Flyers side on this gamble, especially when projected out through the entire 2011-12 season considering Leighton's health concerns.
How can you say the chances of him being picked up by another team for next year are small? I'm not understanding this one bit

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
  #165
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Boosh will still be the backup.
Leighton the contingency
No?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
  #166
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,712
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

If he's so ****** (career ahler), why would anyone want him?
People hated him as a back up cause he makes 1.55 mill per year, at 750 K hit, I bet most would gladly take him as a back up !! Any team needing a back up next year, gets one at 750K and gets to **** the FLyers cap, win win !!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
  #167
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

If he's so ****** (career ahler), why would anyone want him?
He's fine as a backup, but not at 1.8 million dollars.

At 800k, he's a great guy to have at your disposal.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
  #168
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

If he's so ****** (career ahler), why would anyone want him?
Silly rabbit...he is barely a capable backup, and less capable than Boucher. However, that being said, there are EVEN LESS CAPABALE backups on rosters in the NHL right now. We WERE fortunate to have had a capable one in Boucher, but it appears we intend to blow that.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
  #169
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,456
vCash: 500
He is a perfectly serviceable backup for 750k. Dont see why anyone wouldnt take a stab. He isnt a starter, but he is a fine backup.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
  #170
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why would you assume that Leighton would be in the AHL... more than a few teams (with waiver priority) that could easily use him on their NHL roster next year.
Too late to this insanity party to contribute anything original. MSE, in particular, you beat me to the newest additions to the Holmgren lexicon: "What's the difference?" and "You never know."

Yes, Mr. Holmgren, I think we collectively do know the outcome of this horrendous lapse in judgment. Following your moves is like watching a blindfolded toddler wander onto the New Jersey Turnpike at rush hour.

Quote:
General manager Paul Holmgren would only confirm to CSNPhilly.com that Leighton represented "depth" on the playoff roster.
Paul Holmgren's definition of "depth":

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
  #171
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
My point was that I don't believe that he will on an NHL roster next season... I believe he will not be picked up, and if he is the chances of his being on an NHL roster most of the season I believe to be small.

Now, if he is claimed and the Flyers have to work as if the Cap space is dead, they will have to work around it some way until he is no longer counting against the Cap... which hopefully would be during the season.

I'm counting/hoping on his not being claimed... and I fully realize the consequences if he is. I think the odds are on the Flyers side on this gamble, especially when projected out through the entire 2011-12 season considering Leighton's health concerns.
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
  #172
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.
indeed...most of the analysts are in fact saying their guess is that he will be claimed...we will know, by when, 12 pm tomorrow?

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
  #173
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.
Just playing devil's advocate, but didn't they say Z would get claimed also?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
  #174
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,712
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.
If you are the Pens ( and Johnson ain't signed next year ) you have to sign MFL to be your back up just to **** us over !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
  #175
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
indeed...most of the analysts are in fact saying their guess is that he will be claimed...we will know, by when, 12 pm tomorrow?
Probably a bit after.

The deadline to claim is 12pm; usually it's an hour or two before anything gets reported if I'm not mistaken?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.