HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Leighton clears re-entry waivers

Old
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
You're missing the point...his cap hit will ONLY be 1/2 against the Flyers, ok that's still close to $800,000 they could use on someone else.

You don't see a team spending $800,000 just to take a chance on a back up who has stanley cup playoffs experience? Come on man, don't be so naive.
The point was he would count 1/2 ONLY if he is on an NHL roster... If he is not, the Flyers lose only the Salary and not the Cap space... I believe that you did not read that as I meant it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Good enough to outplay him and win the cup....
His team won the cup, not him...can't deny the fact that the Blackhawks were disgusting in front of him.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The point was he would count 1/2 ONLY if he is on an NHL roster... If he is not, the Flyers lose only the Salary and not the Cap space... I believe that you did not read that as I meant it.
I can see teams who have highly reliable starters grabbing him as a cheap backup, knowing he wouldn't see many starts. He would probably be an issue for the cap, unless he sucks badly enough that he gets sent down in short order.

edit: Or, someone like NYI.

edit2: Yeah, probably half of the East alone would consider grabbing him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why would you assume that Leighton would be in the AHL... more than a few teams (with waiver priority) that could easily use him on their NHL roster next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Flames, Habs, Sens, Leafs, Canes, Coyotes, Ducks, Pens,

All teams off top of my head that could use a close to league min back up !! WTF

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:43 PM
TOCxNJ

I was hoping I'd have more of an understanding of this as the day went on.....but it's just getting more and more frustrating.

Idiotic

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
bennysflyers16

If he is claimed, worst move by Holmer yet.
If he isn't claimed, Top 5 dumbest moves just because of the damn risk involved !!

Old
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well not to think to far ahead, but next season we are going to have around alittle over 1.2 mil to sign 4 players... (counting lappy on the roster)

Thats gonna be fun.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, No, No. Anderson at least has one absolutely stellar year. Leighton has NO stellar years. In fact, he's never played anything close to a starter's load, and the one time he did...well, his back still hasn't healed. Leighton isn't like any of those goalies. Leighton is like Toskala.
Yeah, I disagree. I loved Leighton last year. He straight up saved our season when Boucher was pissing it away. Emery goes down and we lose 9 of 11 with Boucher in net. Leighton comes in and goes 8-2 while Boucher loses his only start in that stretch. Emery comes back and goes 5-3 and is shut down for the year. Leighton comes back in and goes 8-5. Boucher replaces an injured Leighton and goes 5-9 and we sneak in the playoffs.

Playoffs. Boucher was great. He has that in him. That is why I still like him this postseason and see no need to bring up Leighton. Leighton was also outstanding, going 8-3 in the playoffs (should be 8-5 since Boucher takes two losses in SCF due to Leighton pulled). SCF was terrible goaltending, and that is why most hate him. I still think the Flyers top 4 D were run down. Leighton almost stole game 2 and was good in games 3,4 and 6. Chicago beat us in game 6 4-3 IN OT outshooting us 41-24.....but it is all Leightons fault. Not me. I don't see it that way.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
FlyersMania2

Whether he's claimed or not, it's FAIL-FAIL because he is still Michael Leighton

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Jester

Boucher wasn't the reason that team lost 9 of 11. He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either. The team was just playing like crap.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Do you like Ville Leino? If someone claims him he's quite likely gone.

Assuming you like Ville Leino (or some other competent offensive player)... then there is a SERIOUS problem with putting a potential 750K of dead cap space on our roster next year.
My point was that I don't believe that he will on an NHL roster next season... I believe he will not be picked up, and if he is the chances of his being on an NHL roster most of the season I believe to be small.

Now, if he is claimed and the Flyers have to work as if the Cap space is dead, they will have to work around it some way until he is no longer counting against the Cap... which hopefully would be during the season.

I'm counting/hoping on his not being claimed... and I fully realize the consequences if he is. I think the odds are on the Flyers side on this gamble, especially when projected out through the entire 2011-12 season considering Leighton's health concerns.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

If he's so ****** (career ahler), why would anyone want him?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
My point was that I don't believe that he will on an NHL roster next season... I believe he will not be picked up, and if he is the chances of his being on an NHL roster most of the season I believe to be small.

Now, if he is claimed and the Flyers have to work as if the Cap space is dead, they will have to work around it some way until he is no longer counting against the Cap... which hopefully would be during the season.

I'm counting/hoping on his not being claimed... and I fully realize the consequences if he is. I think the odds are on the Flyers side on this gamble, especially when projected out through the entire 2011-12 season considering Leighton's health concerns.
How can you say the chances of him being picked up by another team for next year are small? I'm not understanding this one bit

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Boosh will still be the backup.
Leighton the contingency
No?

Old
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Don't get it.
But find it funny that on this board he went from not even a cabapble backup for the flyers to a guy that 7+ teams are going to be drooling over at that salary.

People hated him as a back up cause he makes 1.55 mill per year, at 750 K hit, I bet most would gladly take him as a back up !! Any team needing a back up next year, gets one at 750K and gets to **** the FLyers cap, win win !!

Old
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Don't get it.

He's fine as a backup, but not at 1.8 million dollars.

At 800k, he's a great guy to have at your disposal.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Don't get it.

Silly rabbit...he is barely a capable backup, and less capable than Boucher. However, that being said, there are EVEN LESS CAPABALE backups on rosters in the NHL right now. We WERE fortunate to have had a capable one in Boucher, but it appears we intend to blow that.

Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

He is a perfectly serviceable backup for 750k. Dont see why anyone wouldnt take a stab. He isnt a starter, but he is a fine backup.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Why would you assume that Leighton would be in the AHL... more than a few teams (with waiver priority) that could easily use him on their NHL roster next year.
Too late to this insanity party to contribute anything original. MSE, in particular, you beat me to the newest additions to the Holmgren lexicon: "What's the difference?" and "You never know."

Yes, Mr. Holmgren, I think we collectively do know the outcome of this horrendous lapse in judgment. Following your moves is like watching a blindfolded toddler wander onto the New Jersey Turnpike at rush hour.

Quote:
General manager Paul Holmgren would only confirm to CSNPhilly.com that Leighton represented "depth" on the playoff roster.
Paul Holmgren's definition of "depth":

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Jester

Quote:

Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Well, you should send a note to the TSN guys... because both of 'em from talking to folks around the league thing he's getting claimed.
indeed...most of the analysts are in fact saying their guess is that he will be claimed...we will know, by when, 12 pm tomorrow?

Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate, but didn't they say Z would get claimed also?

Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
If you are the Pens ( and Johnson ain't signed next year ) you have to sign MFL to be your back up just to **** us over !

Old
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
indeed...most of the analysts are in fact saying their guess is that he will be claimed...we will know, by when, 12 pm tomorrow?
Probably a bit after.

The deadline to claim is 12pm; usually it's an hour or two before anything gets reported if I'm not mistaken?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote