HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games II

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Video Games II

First thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=818518

04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

A video game thread lasted fewer than 7 months. Not bad at all.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Oldskool

Nice new build, Drake. I guess money isn't an object for you, since you purchased all the components right away instead of waiting for deals to pop up

I just build a new SB rig a month ago, except I went with a 2500k CPU and the Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. It was fun but oh so painful-- I'd never recommend jumping on new tech right away. In the future, I'll wait at least 90 days or more to let the manufacturers work out all the kinks. The revised/fixed P8P67 Pro B3 stepping that I got in exchange has been a dream, though. No issues whatsoever.

Btw, you mention that you don't aggressively OC but I'd recommend that you try to take your 2600k to at least 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz. It is rediculously easy to OC with a SB CPU. I got mine to 4.7GHz by simply changing 3 settings in BIOS-- the OC to Manual, the multiplier to 47, and the RAM to specs. And all of it on air

Old
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm going to start at 4.2 GHz and work my way up from there. Reports of 4.7/4.8 GHz stable are widespread enough to think it's worthwhile.

The technology is 'mature enough' now that Intel got the kinks out of its embarrassing new launch, and the B3 stepping seems to have worked the kinks out. I've some solid guides and reviews to go by when I do build and start putting it through its paces. Hell, the overclock with software only on this motherboard CPU combination is said to be absurdly easy. There is also, literally, a built-in MSI overclocking "easy button. Might not even bother adjusting the vCore.

I'm not watercooling, but I am going to set aside the stock CPU fan and am installing a Zalman CPU cooler. I've had nice success with those coolers in the past.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I always by an aftermarket CPU fan....better and more importantly...more quiet.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Cush
-inator

I've never OC'ed my CPU, but my old 8800GT was factory OC'ed. Never had a problem with it

Battlefield4Free is in open bete: http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/

it's ok, but not being able to lean or go prone hurts

Old
04-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Zalman or Thermaltake aftermarket coolers are a must. With those you can get a good OC without the real hassle of water.

Water is great for temps, but they vary in quality so much that its tough to recommend for anyone other than a hardcore enthusiast. With a good vented case, the right airflow (biggest part imo) and a good CPU cooler you should never really want for heat. Especially with vid card and psu heatvents now.

I don't really see the point in much OCing now anyhow. Parts are so ahead of performance unless you're dealing with a billion processes or editing. Back in the day? Sure, but now? Meh. Not for me beyond just a little at the end of a comp lifespan. Cost is too much for the risk

Old
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yeah, I have a lot of experience with builds using Zalman CPU coolers, none with water cooling. Don't overclock as a rule, but the Sandy Bridge are supposed to be very overclock-friendly processors. I'll probably play with it, but not push it. Most likely software only.

I do a little video editing, so the extra would be nice.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
TRASHCAT

"You’ve played World War II games before…but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?"

http://www.dinodday.com/

Old
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Parts on the truck, a day early. Newegg is great with shipping.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Cush
-inator

Some Shogun Mods

Unit Variety: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437574

(No new units, just changes the appearance of individual soldiers so they don't all look the same)

New Unit Cards: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=440932

Clan Retexture Project: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435960

(This is still a Work In Progress)

1 Turn Per Month + Extended Campaign: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=440670

(1 turn a month seems a bit excessive...hoping for a 2 per season myself)

Darth Mode v1.8: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437591

Old
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Nice, thanks.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Good lord, the Cooler Master cases are sweet. It's not any one thing, although little details are certainly all well thought out, but just the overall build quality, materials, etc.

Old
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Oldskool

Yeah the HAF cases are very nice, I am using a HAF 922. All the fans are great at keeping things cool, but the downside is that my legs and ankles are always so damn cold all the time when I'm playing games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Good lord, the Cooler Master cases are sweet. It's not any one thing, although little details are certainly all well thought out, but just the overall build quality, materials, etc.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Will be interested to read your impressions, performance wise, with your system using a SSD drive.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Whoever came up with the designs for third-party CPU coolers should be shot. Jesus, that's nerve-wracking. The metal braces never fit right and it's always a chore getting one end locked in place, locking down the other two corners and keeping the cooler itself centered, applying what always seems like way too much pressure to be safe in order to firmly lock the cooler over the processor, all the while trying your damnedest not to crack the CPU die. I've installed 15-20 Zalman coolers in new builds before and am half convinced I'm going to **** it up every time.

Glad that's over. Motherboard installed, 2600K Sandy Bridge in place, thin layer of Arctic Silver compound applied with a trusty plastic bag, and Zalman CPU cooler locked in place. All the easy part is left.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Whoever came up with the designs for third-party CPU coolers should be shot. Jesus, that's nerve-wracking. The metal braces never fit right and it's always a chore getting one end locked in place, locking down the other two corners and keeping the cooler itself centered, applying what always seems like way too much pressure to be safe in order to firmly lock the cooler over the processor, all the while trying your damnedest not to crack the CPU die. I've installed 15-20 Zalman coolers in new builds before and am half convinced I'm going to **** it up every time.

Glad that's over. Motherboard installed, 2600K Sandy Bridge in place, thin layer of Arctic Silver compound applied with a trusty plastic bag, and Zalman CPU cooler locked in place. All the easy part is left.
Mosdef the most stressfull part of PC building. Hell my first build I had a friend who was well skilled come over and do it for me /paranoid.

Drake all you need is a blog dedicated to your PC build. You will automatically be upgraded to the currently hip generation.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Hell, I had a friend once who had me walk him through the process, but when it came time to do that part, I told him in excruciating detail what he had to do, and then steadfastly refused to do it for him -- if he was going to crack his CPU, better he do so himself. I'd just give him moral support. That stuff is just dicey, and it always has been that way.

So far, no cuts. I must be slacking... of course, I have a much better case this time around. Almost takes the challenge out of it.

Takes about twice the time to do some cable management sleight of hand, but it's so worth it.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice! I only have one prediction. After this build you will join the club of lazy usiel/Marshall crew and resort to www.cyberpowerpc.com. Free drinks and easy women estranged from lame husbands upon club joining.

Arbitrary imposition of random YT links /me forever guilty.

1:46 is golden

Old
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

heh... coolermaster doesn't have as many sharp edges. I had this cheap case one time, sliced my hand up like no one's business.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

oh, and i think i might go that route for the next one. so much easier. but i'm always nervous if something's not right with it when it gets here.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Cush
-inator

highly recommend a modular power supply. I've got a 750w Silverstone

http://www.silverstonetek.com/

Old
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
highly recommend a modular power supply. I've got a 750w Silverstone

http://www.silverstonetek.com/
Modular PSUs rule them all. Why bother with anything but.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

HAHA.....told ya!

Old
04-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Modular PSUs rule them all. Why bother with anything but.
Only issue with mine is that it only came with one SATA cable. And because of the way my case is designed it was a nightmare trying to connect my two HDs and my DVD-Rom / Burner. Need to pick up a second cable.

Anyone have a Blu-Ray Drive / Burner? Been thinking of getting one, just not sure if it's worth it yet. I know the discs are still on the expensive side.

With my current system, I had someone else assemble it. I tried, but didn't get the CPU fan set right and the CPU fried (got it replaced for free)

Closed Thread