HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games II

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Cabling issues are not an... issue, unless you have a midtower. With a roomy full tower and a bottom-mounted PSU, excess cabling can just get tucked in down there, wrapped tightly with cable ties. The HafX comes with a shield cover to contain all cabling before it exits via the back side anyway, to travel up to the various cable holes.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think i'm going to break down and try to price one out for this summer. Probably will do it a bit at a time. Maybe not upgrade the video card from the start (i've got a 270gtx or whatever)

Old
04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Assembling from scratch is still a lot fun. Completed the build around 2am. Going to install software tonight. Tired as balls.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Assembling from scratch is still a lot fun. Completed the build around 2am. Going to install software tonight. Tired as balls.
Haha, always the fun part

Old
04-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Cush
-inator

Info on Mass Effect 3 is starting to come out. Game picks up where "The Arrival" ends, so you might want to get it at some point.

Some non spoiler info..though I guess the above bit is a spoiler:

Quote:
Bioware say they’ve beefed up the levelling mechanics to offer a greater choice of abilities. Skill trees will be larger, and powers can be evolved several times.

There have been some tweaks to the weapons systems, too. All characters can use any weapon, but different classes will have a limited number of weapons slots. Only the soldier class will be able to carry all of them at once. Weapon mods will let you add scopes and different barrels to your weapons, changing the look and effectiveness of each gun.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

- Enhanced RPG elements
- More freedom with character skills
- Larger skill trees
- Powers will evolve several times, not just once
Info (w/ spoilers) + scans: http://gamingeverything.com/?p=3119

Last edited by Cush: 04-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Hopefully this means they took the extra times to fix the things they took out in ME2. Nothing if not encouraging, IMO.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Integral

I'd really like to see Bioware scrap or curtail the class system in Mass Effect 3. The problem with choosing a class at the beginning of the game is that you don't necessarily know what sort of skills you like to use or what will fit your playing style. Instead, you should start off with access to a really wide set of skills but leveling up certain skills will close others off. For example, if you put a lot of points into a soldier-specific skill like assault rifles, then you lose access to some of the magic and tech skills. This also forces the player to make a lot more interesting and compelling choices rather than "should I put my points in throw or pull?"

Old
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
I'd really like to see Bioware scrap or curtail the class system in Mass Effect 3. The problem with choosing a class at the beginning of the game is that you don't necessarily know what sort of skills you like to use or what will fit your playing style. Instead, you should start off with access to a really wide set of skills but leveling up certain skills will close others off. For example, if you put a lot of points into a soldier-specific skill like assault rifles, then you lose access to some of the magic and tech skills. This also forces the player to make a lot more interesting and compelling choices rather than "should I put my points in throw or pull?"
I feel like to do that they'd have to take away from the uniqueness of the classes themselves. Playing the game as a soldier vs. as an adept is a totally different approach, worthy of a new playthrough. Too much mix and match (beyond the existing hybrid classes) would kind of muddle things, I'd think).

Old
04-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Cush
-inator

One thing I hope they do is return to individual "cool downs" Part of the fun in ME1 was lifting someone near a cliff and then throwing them. The universal cool down in ME2 was lame

Old
04-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Integral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I feel like to do that they'd have to take away from the uniqueness of the classes themselves. Playing the game as a soldier vs. as an adept is a totally different approach, worthy of a new playthrough. Too much mix and match (beyond the existing hybrid classes) would kind of muddle things, I'd think).
Not necessarily, you'd essentially be "forced" into a class no later than halfway through the game because of how the skills lock out, the difference is that you get an opportunity to figure out what class you want to play as first. Since I'm guessing most players only go through the game once, this benefits most people. I definitely see your concern though, it would be much tougher to balance than the current class-based system.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
Not necessarily, you'd essentially be "forced" into a class no later than halfway through the game because of how the skills lock out, the difference is that you get an opportunity to figure out what class you want to play as first. Since I'm guessing most players only go through the game once, this benefits most people. I definitely see your concern though, it would be much tougher to balance than the current class-based system.
It doesn't fit the character, but then that's not a reason to avoid it if it works for the gameplay. I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the trouble for the extra balancing work. There's enough reason for people to do multiple playthroughs from a story perspective that I'm guessing the developers figure they'll try several different builds on their own.

With enough time I'm sure they could successfully implement something like you're describing. They probably have bigger elements they've decided to tackle though.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Will be interested to read your impressions, performance wise, with your system using a SSD drive.
It's very fast, and these are not even the Intel 510 series drives that are still very expensive, but it's a good bit faster than anything else I've used before. I'm running the quad-core Core i7 2600K 3.4GHZ overclocked at 4.2 GHZ right now, but may experiment later with it at up to 4.8GHZ just see its limits. Also a nVidia GTX 570 video card. Intel 320 series 120GB SSD. X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion sound card and front plate.

Installed and played a bit of Crysis 2, and the CryEngine 3 is extremely pretty. Flawless performance at ultra high settings all maxed out. Some consolization of the game, unfortunately, but that's not a huge surprise. I'd like to give a heavily populated Shogun 2 Total War game a try but so far it's chewing up anything I've tried. Some Rift, some Crysis 2, some Crysis.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm replaying ME2 right now in order to have my ideal character ready for ME 3. IIRC Chakwas and Legion died in my first playthrough, and I just can't allow that to happen.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm replaying ME2 right now in order to have my ideal character ready for ME 3. IIRC Chakwas and Legion died in my first playthrough, and I just can't allow that to happen.
Legion is probably my favorite character, shame they introduced him so late in the game. When it was first announced they said that the was going to be stalking you throughout the game, but it obviously changed. You can also find clips of him from the early portions of the game (like when you go to get Garrus, etc)

"There was a hole"

Never got this easter egg to work

Old
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Cush
-inator

Here's one of the 'hidden files'

Old
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

GoG.com has gained a bunch of ATARI games.

Alone in the Dark trilogy up now, Witcher 1 coming out in late May for $5. Other weekly releases in the interim.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Portal 2 purchased and pre-loaded.

Gonna try to play through as much as possible of Portal 1 again before release, but it looks like the only real chance I'll get is Monday night. We'll see.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Cush
-inator

Rumor is Nintendo will be announcing a new console at E3. Said to be more powerful than both the 360 & PS3 (which isn't hard to imagine as they're based on 5/6 year old tech). Aside from a DS, never owned a Nintendo console. Had the Sega Master System & Genesis

Old
04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

First gaming system I had was a PC. The first non-PC gaming system I owned was an original Xbox, largely because it was a PC. I immediately soldered a mod chip in there.

Competition is certainly a good thing, though. Also expected to drop the price of the Wii to $150.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
First gaming system I had was a PC. The first non-PC gaming system I owned was an original Xbox, largely because it was a PC. I immediately soldered a mod chip in there.

Competition is certainly a good thing, though. Also expected to drop the price of the Wii to $150.
We actually had a Colecovision. First "PC" was a Tandy 1000HX

Old
04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I remember playing on one of these my Dad carted home from work. "Oooh! Amber colors!"

At some point I remember playing Oil Barons on GW Basic.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:00 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It would be nice to see Nintendo offer a system that is generation-appropriate from a technical perspective (although depending on when MS and Sony decide to offer new consoles as well, might be hard to call this a generation). Might give the 3rd party developers a reason to produce something that's actually worth anything.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

they never develop enough adult based games (games like GTA, Metal Gear, etc) for me to ever consider buying a Nintendo console.

The 360/PS3 are fine. doesn't really seem like the time to upgrade.

Old
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I remember playing on one of these my Dad carted home from work. "Oooh! Amber colors!"

At some point I remember playing Oil Barons on GW Basic.
DUDE!!!! My dad had this exact thing....I remember him bringing it home....packed like a suitcase. I can still remember the floppy drives sounding like they were grinding up the disks.....good times...

Old
04-15-2011, 02:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Good times....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVmNYcpeOo

Closed Thread