HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games II

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
ForzaItalia

vCash: 500
Hey guys. I am FAR from a PC Gamer but I'm curious what kind of specs would a PC at the bare minimum need to run BF3 when it's released.

Thanks in advance.

Old
05-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Hey guys. I am FAR from a PC Gamer but I'm curious what kind of specs would a PC at the bare minimum need to run BF3 when it's released.

Thanks in advance.
don't think they've said anything as of yet.

Old
05-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Cush
-inator

a not so glowing preview of The Old Republic: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...blic-preview/1

wouldn't be shocked if this gets pushed back to early next year

Last edited by Cush: 05-02-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 11:33 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

AGAIN, Sony? Don't think I'm going with Sony again. Good Lord.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Cush
-inator

Mass Effect 3 delayed til 2012 (Jan March Time line)

Old
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Cush
-inator

Always a good site for PC Gamers: "Can You Run It?": http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Old
05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Cush
-inator

Witcher 2: The Living World: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...13622?type=flv

Last edited by Cush: 05-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Always a good site for PC Gamers: "Can You Run It?": http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
is that legit? seems like it has high f-your-computer-with-malware potential.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

What's the latest on Rift? Anyone still playing? Been kicking the idea around....bored...

Old
05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I quite enjoy it. There is enough innovation with character roles and souls (combinations of three sub-classes within classes) to make it stand apart together with the rifts, invasions and world events that make the world more dynamic than is the norm. Good system allows for very easy raids, without the slightest preamble or waiting, lasting short whiles. They're far preferable to getting groups for five-hour dungeon crawls.

Very nice graphics for games of this type, with excellent art direction. There is the odd quibble with linearity, but on the whole, it's very good.

This game will crash hard when people stop playing it, though. They will need to aggressively merge servers at that time. For now, it works well. The game mechanics open up a rift or tear in space time, invasions of bad guys storm through, and if left unchecked, they establish footholds to go raiding around the environments, essentially taking over unless pushed back by the community. Without a community, it's going to be annoying. With a proactive community, howver, it's a ton of fun.

Old
05-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

It's pretty entertaining. But I'm not sure it will hold my interest forever.

Old
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I firmly expect to play it a good deal right up until the twin releases of Old Republic and the LOTRO expansion. Beyond that point... probably not. Well spent $10 a month, though.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:32 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I hadn't read much on Rift as I was so WOW/AION burned out....but I finally read a review and the idea of the RIFT opening repelling invaders or whatever is coming out....it's got me interested....

Old
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

it's pretty interesting. the class roles make it pretty good. You can pretty much do whatever you want with your class.

I'll give you an example. i play a Cleric, and I've got 4 different builds I can use. I currently run a straight healing as my main build. But you can switch between that build and switch your skills/spells/talents on the fly (when you're out of combat). I've got a PVE, mainly single target heal (as I run t2 instances usually) build that I use most often. But if I'm running a 5 man group, and we have another cleric (or someone with better gear), I can either switch to my dps soul. I've got both a ranged and a melee dps version (I usually use the ranged) so I can swap in and out based on fight needs. I've also got a tank spec, that I can run if I really need to do so (though I usually forget my gear in the bank because I'm lazy and we have like 10 tanks in our guild).

I'm excited for the next patch, because they're going to add a 5th soul option (though it's going to be like 75 Plat (think 40-50 gold in pre-BC money)) so I might build a group heals build.

I mean, pretty much, the only thing you can't do, is be a warrior with a healing spec (though you do have some options to heal yourself) or a mage and tank. Everything else is pretty much possible. Though Rogues are mainly support healers in their heal option.

The flexibility makes it interesting. Saves me from having to level new characters too (though I'm working on a mage and I just started a rogue).

The main thing that I've got a problem with right now is the events have been pretty lame. They're not near the WoW scale, and they've been duds in the first attempts. I'm nervous that a lot of players are quitting as well. The population numbers are down across the board. I think many people have too short of a memory, where as in WOW, I remember the first events being AWFUL and Lag fests. A few years in, obviously, they are better. I'm not sure RIFT gets that time.

Otherwise, on a personal note, I'm a bit torn. I want to raid Greenscale/River of Souls, but I also don't know if I want to put in the serious hours. My guild's not really a hardcore raiding guild, and we've got enough guys who show up a few days a week and raid, but not enough to do the 10 man instances. Should be interesting to see what I end up doing.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You guys were right. Angry birds is addicting.

Personally I'd like to drop 3 floors of brick and stone on the creators of the app and see if they survive as comfortably as that damn target did last night!!!

Old
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Angry Birds is fun...just way too easy....same with Rio version...

Thanks for the Rift info guys.....I think I'll give it a try...

Old
05-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Cush
-inator

How's Lord Of The Rings Online?

Old
05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If you haven't picked up Witcher yet, it just went up on GOG.com, DRM-free, for $5.

LOTRO is a lot of fun. It follows many of the familiar design paths, so it can be accused of having attempted limited innovation to put out a successful Tolkien MMO. It does have an interesting achievement system, called Deeds, that directly feeds into stats bonuses and works very well. The way that it works, you are incentivized to finish off your deeds, and slot them in the ideal combinations for your character and class.

Beyond that, there is plenty of end-game content, a beefy crafting component, lots of party instances and raiding. Party systems are as laborious to set up as in most standard MMOs, and guilding up is a good idea. The first expansion (Moria) added a huge amount of content. Expectations for the next expansion in the Fall (Isengard) are pretty high, on content grounds. LOTRO is now free to play.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:42 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Angry Birds gets old, fast.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

RIFT:

What type of server are you guys playing on? PVP? PVE?

I was a PVE player in WOW, but played heavy PVP in battleground.....suggestions?

Old
05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
it's pretty interesting. the class roles make it pretty good. You can pretty much do whatever you want with your class.

I'll give you an example. i play a Cleric, and I've got 4 different builds I can use. I currently run a straight healing as my main build. But you can switch between that build and switch your skills/spells/talents on the fly (when you're out of combat). I've got a PVE, mainly single target heal (as I run t2 instances usually) build that I use most often. But if I'm running a 5 man group, and we have another cleric (or someone with better gear), I can either switch to my dps soul. I've got both a ranged and a melee dps version (I usually use the ranged) so I can swap in and out based on fight needs. I've also got a tank spec, that I can run if I really need to do so (though I usually forget my gear in the bank because I'm lazy and we have like 10 tanks in our guild).

I'm excited for the next patch, because they're going to add a 5th soul option (though it's going to be like 75 Plat (think 40-50 gold in pre-BC money)) so I might build a group heals build.

I mean, pretty much, the only thing you can't do, is be a warrior with a healing spec (though you do have some options to heal yourself) or a mage and tank. Everything else is pretty much possible. Though Rogues are mainly support healers in their heal option.

The flexibility makes it interesting. Saves me from having to level new characters too (though I'm working on a mage and I just started a rogue).

The main thing that I've got a problem with right now is the events have been pretty lame. They're not near the WoW scale, and they've been duds in the first attempts. I'm nervous that a lot of players are quitting as well. The population numbers are down across the board. I think many people have too short of a memory, where as in WOW, I remember the first events being AWFUL and Lag fests. A few years in, obviously, they are better. I'm not sure RIFT gets that time.

Otherwise, on a personal note, I'm a bit torn. I want to raid Greenscale/River of Souls, but I also don't know if I want to put in the serious hours. My guild's not really a hardcore raiding guild, and we've got enough guys who show up a few days a week and raid, but not enough to do the 10 man instances. Should be interesting to see what I end up doing.
So when I look at the classes, a Mage for example has 8 subclasses....are you saying you can swap between those subclasses when you feel like it? And that costs to create that build/subclass?

Old
05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

You choose one of four classes: Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. Your character is stuck with that class, so think about it.

There are eight or nine sub-classes for each of the four classes. These sub-classes are each called souls.

Standard enough so far. Where Rift gets innovative is that you don't choose one; instead, your character chooses three of those sub-classes. You can equally spread around your points, or load up on one or two sub-classes, and put minimal points into the other(s).

OK, all of that together is a role, composed of three souls.

Your character has a 'build' of points allocated across three souls. Yet you may have a strategy for solo'ing and a different one entirely for partying. You would like to have skills optimized for each of the two.

Your character can therefore simultaneously carry up to four distinct roles, or builds, of three souls each. One can be DPS for soloing, one can be healing for groups. You can switch between roles whenever you are out of combat.

This is a healing mage build, with choloromancer, archon and dominator souls, forming one role. Your character can have four such screens:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...esRfiqkrz.xdhu

Old
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Drake, makes sense! Sounds like Chimera speads his around to different Souls....

Do most people load up on one sub-class, or spread things around for different builds?

Old
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Did anyone pick up, or plan on picking up, Brink?

Old
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's $10 more for the Rift Collecter's addition....which includes....

Ancient Tartagon Mount: Available at level 20, this turtle mount increases player speed by 60%

Collector’s Satchel: Increases the size of your primary backpack to 24 slots

Bogling Wastrel: This unique pet sets you apart from the other Ascended

Worth it or not?

PVP or PVE server?

Closed Thread