HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill

Old
04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Hal Gill

He's a UFA this summer. Would he be worth the 2.25m he making in Montreal?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
slapshots1515

...he's pretty much a pylon.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
DRWCountryClub

I feel like he'd come here and mail it in.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Xvash2

Enough said.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I like the guy, but I don't think he's worth that kinda money, I'd like to have him for around 1 mil as a bottom pairing guy.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:23 PM
chances14

this guy comes to mind when talking about hal gill....

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:42 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Hal Gill was hated by Wings fans for good reason.
When the playoffs come, refs loosen the standards a bit and he becomes a very big, very effective defenseman who can really do a number just about anyone.
He's was also credited for being a great leader in the Montreal clubhouse last year.
If we could afford to replace Salei and/or Ericssonwith this guy, it would be a no-brainer, assuming he hasn't lost too much.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
newfy

Huge improvement over Salei for sure.

Honestly I think a guy like this is what the wings need on the bottom pairing.

Salei is somewhat offensive minded and not really a shutdown, shot blocking type defenseman. Having guys like Kindl and Salei on the bottom pairing really hurts the team defense overall.

Having a pure defensive shutdown guy like pre injury Lilja was great for blocking shots, pk etc.

Someone like Hal Gill would be great back there, I also wouldn't mind a Rob Scuderi type. The wings defense needs to become more defensive with guys like Rafalski, Kindl and Ericcson playing consistently

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Of course he'd be better than Salei, he costs twice as much. I don't think Salei would be in Detroit if the team could have afforded another 2+ million D-man.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Of course he'd be better than Salei, he costs twice as much. I don't think Salei would be in Detroit if the team could have afforded another 2+ million D-man.
A defenseman that plays his style of game is what Detroit needs I guess. Defensive minded guys like him aren't impossible to find and would make the defense much better instead of having one of Rafalski, Ericcson, Kindl or Salei on the ice at all time

Old
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I wouldn't mind him he's certainly better than Ericsson and Salei. But not at that cap hit.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Giant pylon, no thanks.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
bullocks

Pylon who helped stiffle the Wings offense in the finals in 09'. Also, the pylon who helped shut down the Caps and Pens last year.

But yeah, wouldn't want that pylon!

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Pylon who helped stiffle the Wings offense in the finals in 09'. Also, the pylon who helped shut down the Caps and Pens last year.

But yeah, wouldn't want that pylon!
Even if you ignore that, we should get him just so that someone can show Ericsson how to actually use his size properly.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:30 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Pylon or not, he was effective for Montreal in last year's playoff. Play him on the PK and as little EV minutes as possible and he'll be really good for us.

But yeah, at that cap hit we could get someone much better than Hall Gill.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
BELLE TIRE

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Someone like Hal Gill would be great back there, I also wouldn't mind a Rob Scuderi type. The wings defense needs to become more defensive with guys like Rafalski, Kindl and Ericcson playing consistently
I was surprised to see that Hal Gill is making $2.25M, but it figures. A $750K version of him would basically be a guy with his tools but with a smaller toolbox, I guess, and wouldn't that essentially be a Lilja 2.0? These types of players would be awesome for a 5th or 6th defenseman, but not if they aren't being paid like one.

A Rob Scuderi type would also be pretty neat. Reliable defensively, tough and plays very clean (very low PIMs). All that good stuff ramps up the price, though. A guy playing like him won't make 5th or 6th dman money for too long, as was seen when Scuderi hit the UFA market.

BELLE TIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
stallion19
DRW

We've got our own Hal Gil.

One is enough. Forwards would drool if they ever saw Ericsson - Gill paired up against them.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Colt View Post
I was surprised to see that Hal Gill is making $2.25M, but it figures. A $750K version of him would basically be a guy with his tools but with a smaller toolbox, I guess, and wouldn't that essentially be a Lilja 2.0? These types of players would be awesome for a 5th or 6th defenseman, but not if they aren't being paid like one.

A Rob Scuderi type would also be pretty neat. Reliable defensively, tough and plays very clean (very low PIMs). All that good stuff ramps up the price, though. A guy playing like him won't make 5th or 6th dman money for too long, as was seen when Scuderi hit the UFA market.
Yeah a Lilja 2.0 is exactly what this team needs, he was great defensively before he got hurt. He just styaed at home, made a break out pass and blocked shots all day long.

This defense has a bunch of guys who want to rush into the offensive zone and as a result you see a lot of odd man rushes, Detroit is also the team that blocks the fewest amount of shots. A guy like that would really help this defense instead of Salei.

Really if Gill were to take a pay cut, and come play on our bottom pairing for say, 1.5 million with the cap going up and people retiring I woul make that signing. Hes a guy who steps up big time in the playoffs

Old
04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah a Lilja 2.0 is exactly what this team needs, he was great defensively before he got hurt. He just styaed at home, made a break out pass and blocked shots all day long.

This defense has a bunch of guys who want to rush into the offensive zone and as a result you see a lot of odd man rushes, Detroit is also the team that blocks the fewest amount of shots. A guy like that would really help this defense instead of Salei.

Really if Gill were to take a pay cut, and come play on our bottom pairing for say, 1.5 million with the cap going up and people retiring I woul make that signing. Hes a guy who steps up big time in the playoffs
If Lids comes back and does so at the $5.5M range, or even if he doesn't, I see it as possible.
We're going to save a little money with Modano out and Draper taking a cut if he returns. Althought, we have to give some of that right back to keep Eaves

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.250m) / Kris Draper ($0.750m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)
Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.500m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Hal Gill ($1.800m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
Paul Mara ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,512,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $887,956

Old
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
We've got our own Hal Gil.

One is enough. Forwards would drool if they ever saw Ericsson - Gill paired up against them.
Only our Hal Gill can't hit that well, underutilizes his size, isn't as good at defensive positioning, doesn't clear the net as well (something I think the wings sorely need).

And I say all this as a guy who likes Ericsson and wants nothing but for him to succeed in Detroit.

He's no Hal Gill at this point.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I like Hal Gill, and I think he could be effective here. But I don't particularly want to sign him. I think our first option should be Ericsson. I don't see how he can ask for a big raise, I figure $1.5m is the most we should offer, and he's still all of 27 yrs old. we're not going to get a guy with similar abilities at a similar age for anywhere close to that price. With our rapidly aging blueline, I'd rather roll the dice for another year on Ericsson and see if he can continue to build off the progress he's made this year. Then go out and sign a guy like Karlis Skrastins or Paul Mara to be our #7.

If Ericsson can't be re-signed, then look to Hal Gill and his ilk.

04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
stallion19
DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Only our Hal Gill can't hit that well, underutilizes his size, isn't as good at defensive positioning, doesn't clear the net as well (something I think the wings sorely need).

And I say all this as a guy who likes Ericsson and wants nothing but for him to succeed in Detroit.

He's no Hal Gill at this point.
I think there are cheaper, internal options if you're just looking for a Dman to clear the net and that has decent defensive positioning.

When Gill was closer to Ericsson's age he was just as bad,if not worse, of a player. I remember watching him as a Bruin and he was the slowest player on the ice, horrible awareness/positioning with no offensive upside (not that he has any now).

He's definitely improved his quality of play since then which is why I compared him to Ericsson. With age and experience hopefully Ericsson can become better than Gill but I would predict that his peak is similar to Gill's. Hopefully I'm wrong and Ericsson will surpass my expectations!

But I digress. Gill will be 37 by next season and I don't see much use for him on the team especially at around ~2mil. I'd prefer to give the playing time to Kindl or Smith and to begin their transition to the team. Alternatively, could sign someone for ~1 mil who would be just as effective ie: Greene, Alberts, Erskine etc and would be able to split time with Smith/Kindl or play the season if neither of those players are ready to make the jump.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post

Enough said.
----------------------->>

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
I think there are cheaper, internal options if you're just looking for a Dman to clear the net and that has decent defensive positioning.
Like?

Quote:
But I digress. Gill will be 37 by next season and I don't see much use for him on the team especially at around ~2mil. I'd prefer to give the playing time to Kindl or Smith and to begin their transition to the team. Alternatively, could sign someone for ~1 mil who would be just as effective ie: Greene, Alberts, Erskine etc and would be able to split time with Smith/Kindl or play the season if neither of those players are ready to make the jump.
This team will not use Smith and Kindl in the lineup together. I'm almost positive of that.