HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Projected Line-Up For Next Year?

Old
04-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Luceni

vCash: 500
Vanek - Richards/Koivu/Ribeiro - Pomineville
Ennis - Roy - Boyes
Hecht - Connolly - Kassian
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta
X gaustad, Ellis

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
This. 1000% this.

The kid has already won everything there is for him to win. He's shown that his game is at another level where juniors just isn't a challenge for him anymore. He just wants out, which is why he looks disinterested a lot of the time.

Put him in Portland next year and I bet you'll see a completely different player.
That is a horrible trait for a hockey player to have. If that is the case, I hope they ship his ass out. I want Gerbe type players that give 100% every time they are on the ice, regardless of the situation.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Vanek - Richards/Koivu/Ribeiro - Pomineville
Ennis - Roy - Boyes
Hecht - Connolly - Kassian
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta
X gaustad, Ellis
I can guarantee that won't happen

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Vanek - Stastny - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Boyes
Hecht - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Mancari

Butler - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Montador
Gragnani

Miller
Enroth

OT: Is Morrisons deal up after this year? For some reason I keep thinking he signed a two year deal .....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Vanek - Stastny - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Boyes
Hecht - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Mancari

Butler - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Montador
Gragnani

Miller
Enroth

OT: Is Morrisons deal up after this year? For some reason I keep thinking he signed a two year deal .....
He did.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Vanek-Richards-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Hecht-Connolly-Boyes
Gerbe-Goose-McCormick
...would be such a sick lineup.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
That is a horrible trait for a hockey player to have. If that is the case, I hope they ship his ass out. I want Gerbe type players that give 100% every time they are on the ice, regardless of the situation.
I think its a matter of him toning down his aggresive play so he won't get suspended again. Also I think its him bored. I mean 70+ points in 56? games is impressive. I also think he is trying to work on his complete game. The kid will be very good. All I can say is good luck getting the puck away from him in the offensive zone.

Vanek-Richards-Stafford
Boyes-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-???-Gerbe
Hecht-Gaustad-McCormick

Myers-#2 D-man/Butler
Sekera-Leopold
Weber-Morrisonn/Gragnani

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
boots electric

It should be taken into consideration that the salary cap is going up to 62.2 million next year. Frees up a little more space

boots electric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Agree 100% - as talented as Spezza is, his willingness to compete and lead have always been questionmarks IMO. If it comes down to paying $7M for a #1 center, I'd rather take Richards in a heartbeat. He's not only a gifted offensive player but a proven leader in the lockerroom and playoff warrior.

IMO you're setting up a false choice between Spezza at 7mil and Richards at 7mil. I can't imagine Richards signing for just 7mil per if he gets to free agency. He currently makes 7.8mil (cap hit and actually salary). With a team like the Rangers likely in on the bidding. That number is more likely than not to go up.

Spezza is a 7mil cap hit the next 4yrs(actual salary; 8mil, 8mil, 5mil and 4mil is a little less). He will make a total of 25mil over the last 4 years of his deal. I would be shocked if Richards accepted a 4yr deal totalling that little (little being relative of course ).

I also think you're being a tad harsh in your assessment of Spezza as a player. Spezza is a point per game player in the regular season AND playoffs. I don't think you put up a ppg in the playoffs (46gms 14g 32a 46pts) without a willingness to compete.

Spezza is just hitting his prime years (28 at the start of next season) like many of our top players (Roy, Vanek, Pommer). He has played his entire career on a one line offensive team. Even in their strong seasons right after the lockout that was the case. If he came here. Spezza would be on the deepest offensive team he has ever played on. He would also have another top line center (Roy) as a teammate for the first time in his career (since the captains left that holds true for Roy as well).

With a 1-2 punch in the middle of Spezza/Roy and our winger depth. We would be an offensive powerhouse.

Spezza would be in a great position to succeed if he was brought here.

I'm not saying I want Spezza over Richards or that I wouldn't want Richards. I'm saying Spezza would be a much better pick up/player than you're portraying him to be.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-11-2011 at 11:32 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
...would be such a sick lineup.
The Flyers could go to hell with their "depth" and "switch" and "clutch", that would be hands down the best forward lineup in the East.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
boots electric

I don't really get the Spezza hate. Ottawa has been a mess for years now, even when the locker room stuff wasn't being talked about by the media, and he's chomping at the bit to jump ship. Put him in a stable environment on a winning team and surround him by hockey players--he'll produce.

He's still got the fire. If he ever gets a 2nd chance on another team, he's going to be absolutely dangerous.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Husko

Does anyone else think Richards isn't worth this big payout he's going to get?

Once again, I'd rather roll Roy-Hecht-Gaustad down the middle and wait for the crop of free agent centers next year that ruin our cap situation longterm.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
Who would you trade for Spezza though?

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Players I wouldn't trade:

Roy
Myers
Miller
Vanek

Prospects:

McNabb

...and that's about it. Would I want to give up Ennis? No. Would I want to give up Gerbe? No. But they aren't untouchable

Old
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Pengo

Just my opinion:

Richards > Spezza > Stastny

Definitely in order of who I'd want the Sabres to sign/trade for, possibly in order from best to worst player.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Players I wouldn't trade:

Roy
Myers
Miller
Vanek

Prospects:

McNabb

...and that's about it. Would I want to give up Ennis? No. Would I want to give up Gerbe? No. But they aren't untouchable
Why?

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
IMO you're setting up a false choice between Spezza at 7mil and Richards at 7mil. I can't imagine Richards signing for just 7mil per if he gets to free agency. He currently makes 7.8mil (cap hit and actually salary). With a team like the Rangers likely in on the bidding. That number is more likely than not to go up.

Spezza is a 7mil cap hit the next 4yrs(actual salary; 8mil, 8mil, 5mil and 4mil is a little less). He will make a total of 25mil over the last 4 years of his deal. I would be shocked if Richards accepted a 4yr deal totalling that little (little being relative of course ).
I can't argue with any of those points. If the salary cap does indeed increase (which, early in the season, was not what most were predicting), I'm sure the law of supply and demand may allow Richards to increase his $7.8M salary since Connolly's the next best UFA center this summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Indirectly, the contract extension for Murray as their GM should bode well for any potential trade involving Spezza - not only because of the history from 2009 summer when Murray was considering dealing him but it sounded like Melynk has accepted the necessity of a rebuild and would give Murray the freedom to deal Spezza for draft picks & prospects.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
Why?
Everything I've heard/seen regarding his development thus far has been rock-solid. If the organization were able to ice a 100% home-grown top pairing at the blue line, we'd be at an enormous advantage. It's still unlikely at this point, but the organization needs to hold on to that possibility for at least another year.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Does anyone else think Richards isn't worth this big payout he's going to get?
Obviously, there will be some inflation on whatever he gets, simply because there's little competition in the UFA center market. However, there aren't that many 90-point centers who have been playoff MVPs on a championship team and are available without giving up tangible assets for. By all accounts, Richards is the complete package, not only statistically on the ice but within the locker room as an admired and vocal leader.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Here is what I expect:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Hecht-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
Kaleta-McCormick-Kassian
Mancari-Ellis

Sekera-Myers
Leopold-Morrisonn
Butler-Weber
Gragnani

Miller
Enroth

The two interesting potential moves would be moving a wing for a center and adding an NHL ready RHD (re-sign Monty, Bieksa, etc.).

How they do in the playoffs could have Regier and company in a status quo mood this off season.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Here is what I expect:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Hecht-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
Kaleta-McCormick-Kassian
Mancari-Ellis

Sekera-Myers
Leopold-Morrisonn
Butler-Weber
Gragnani

Miller
Enroth

The two interesting potential moves would be moving a wing for a center and adding an NHL ready RHD (re-sign Monty, Bieksa, etc.).

How they do in the playoffs could have Regier and company in a status quo mood this off season.
Pretty much, except Kassian will not make the team.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Obviously, there will be some inflation on whatever he gets, simply because there's little competition in the UFA center market. However, there aren't that many 90-point centers who have been playoff MVPs on a championship team and are available without giving up tangible assets for. By all accounts, Richards is the complete package, not only statistically on the ice but within the locker room as an admired and vocal leader.
You say he's a 90-point player, I say he's been under a point per game 8/11 seasons in his career.

You say he's a playoff MVP, I say he's yet to lift the team he's on now tot he next level.

I think Richards is good, don't get me wrong, but in the grand scheme of things I think he's closer to Briere good than he is to Crosby/Ovechkin good. And Briere good shouldn't get paid 8 million a year.

I'd rather invest that cap space in some good defenseman and save a chunk of it for a year from now when we're talking Myers extension and there's some #2 centers on the market. Not to mention, that's when we'll finally free up some of the big money we have invested in the wings.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Pretty much, except Kassian will not make the team.
The whole 4th line and the extra forwards outside of Kaleta could change.

But, I'm not really expecting any major moves this off season given how well the team finished.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
But I wonder what it would take? Sekera, BZK, Foligno, 1st?

Van-Spezza-Pom
Ennis-Roy-Boyes
Hecht-Goose-Gerbe

Flip Staff for something on D?
I heard this rumor as well, and the supposed price Buffalo offered was Foligno, Adam and their 1st

The deal supposedly fell through when Ottawa kept insisting Ennis be in the deal

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote