HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Organizational Ranking?

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
Rangers Organizational Ranking?

After this year's trades as well as the draft, how would you say the organizational rank has improved in terms of prospects? At the start of last season we were a dismal 29th, but after all this activity I would have to say we are around the 12-17 range.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
What does it purport to rank? Is it strength of prospects or strength of organization as a whole. If it's strength of organization as a whole, I think we're still pretty low. Look at Florida. Florida wasn't really significantly better of a team than we were last season, but they have MUCH better top end young than we have, at least right now. I'd say we're probably around #25 or so.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Fletch

I don't know, highly...

I haven't sat down and poured through all teams' prospects (as per Hockey's Future's rules) and compared them to the Rangers, but a lot of team have lost a good deal of talent and picks and/or had prospects graduate out of prospect status which could enable the Rangers to significantly jump. The ranking is based on, among other things, I believe, on depth of talent, type of talent, etc. This is of course not to be confused with young NHL talent for which the Rangers would obviously rank quite low.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:56 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
What does it purport to rank? Is it strength of prospects or strength of organization as a whole. If it's strength of organization as a whole, I think we're still pretty low. Look at Florida. Florida wasn't really significantly better of a team than we were last season, but they have MUCH better top end young than we have, at least right now. I'd say we're probably around #25 or so.
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is basically what Fletch is saying, meaning that we would be taking into consideration not the young players already in the NHL, but the quality and depth of players on the cusp/in the system who have a good chance of making it in the NHL.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I don't think our team can be ranked that much higher. Although we have more prospects now which is positive, until some of them make the NHL, we can't expect our team to be put that much higher. The Rangers are looked down upon by all the critics. It's now up to the organization and its young core of players to prove they belong.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is basically what Fletch is saying, meaning that we would be taking into consideration not the young players already in the NHL, but the quality and depth of players on the cusp/in the system who have a good chance of making it in the NHL.
Ah. If it's ranking JUST young talent, I think we're probably reasonably high on that list. We have a ton of pretty good talent in the organization. We just don't have the top end players quite yet. Hopefully that changes after this year.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Fletch

kovy...

the prospects are based on players who have not yet played in the NHL. They come off the list after a certain amount of NHL games - which could possibly be prior to them even making a splash in the NHL. Maybe it's the definition of prospect that's confusing because many in here may consider Lundmark and Blackburn prospects, but for HF's purposes, they are not.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
bigblue21

who knew the meaning of "prospect" could be so confusing?

Old
07-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Blueshirt13

Prior to being traded to us, the following players were ranked as follows in their organization:

Kondratiev - 4 TOR
Immonen - 9 TOR
Balej - 6 MTL
Helminen - 17 EDM
Liffiton - was top 10 but forget exact number COL
Giroux - 14 OTT

In MTL and OTT's recent prospect rerankings, first and second round picks appear within their top twenty and for us, Montoya, LK, and Graham I believe would make our top 20.

Having said all that and rambled on like an old man, between the 6 prospects we added that were ranked in other organizations, the 3 I mentioned from the 04 draft, as well as the development of some of our other prospects, I think we would be ranked about 12-15.

Closed Thread