HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What are your favorite teams glaring needs?

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2004, 03:09 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
What are your favorite teams glaring needs?

Do you think your team has a hole it needs to fill? How do you think they should fill that need, UFA, trade or upcoming prospect? I'm just interested to find out what teams are lacking. The Wings need to get more grit and bigger forwards. I wouldn't be suprised if GM Ken Holland pulled the trigger on a deal to bring in a younger forward with skill. I think RW Martin Havlat in Ottawa would be a good fit. Reports indicate Holland is talking to RW Glen Murray and C Mike Ricci but those two wouldn't be on my wishlist. I would prefer RW Zigmund Palffy and C Jason Wiemer. Detroit's Defence is pretty much set with or without D Mathieu Schneider. The forward line is where I see the bigest change. Hull, Devereaux, Thomas and possibly Shanahan are all gone. Detroit will give bigger/more minutes to Draper, Datsyuk, Lang, Whitney, Zetterberg, Fischer, Dandenault and Kronwall this year as well.

Detroit's Line-up so far:
(Not to be interpreted as projected line combinations though)

Forwards
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Yzerman
Whitney-Lang-Holmstrom
Maltby-Draper-McCarty

Mowers/Williams/Hudler/Robinson all possiblefor the last three everyday spots, but I don't think Hudler or Robinson are ready yet. I don't think Holland would be satisfied with Mowers AND Williams playing everyday minutes either.

Defenceman
Lidstrom-Hatcher
Kronwall-Fischer
Dandenault-Chelios
Woolley-Rivers and possibly Bykov if he signs, which is what he is said to want.

Pretty much set on the back-end.

Goaltenders
Joseph
Legace
MacDonald

Looks good in goal too.

So what about your teams needs or wants?

Old
07-08-2004, 03:15 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Canucks' lineup right now:

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Sedin - Sedin - King
Cooke - Chubarov - Linden
Ruutu - Kesler - May
Bouck

Malik - Jovanovski
Ohlund - Sopel
Salo - Allen
Aitken

Cloutier
Auld

We need farm depth, a real 7th d-man, a 2nd line winger, and another depth forward. A less pressing need is grit on defense, possibly replacing Marek Malik.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Teemu

Total wild guess

Daze-Arnason-T Ruutu
Calder-Yakubov-Bell
Vorobiev-Brown-Barnaby
Sh Thornton-Nichol-M Keith

Vandermeer-Berard
McCarthy-Babchuk
Robidas-Kukkonen

Thibault
Leighton

I feel like I'm forgetting someone
We've been "promised" a UFA defenseman.
Yakubov's spot may be given to Viukhola is he jumps the pond
Bell and Vorobiev may be switched. That would make a nice third line.
We need patience and a new coach right now the most. Also, we need at least one assistant coach for poor coach-of-the-future Trent Yawney

Old
07-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

The Pittsburgh Penguins have no weaknesses. They are a well oiled hockey machine. (Although failing to sign Steve McKenna because he was too expensive was a huge hit).

Old
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
The Pittsburgh Penguins have no weaknesses. They are a well oiled hockey machine. (Although failing to sign Steve McKenna because he was too expensive was a huge hit).

Old
07-08-2004, 03:37 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Glaring Needs

1.New GM

That's about it for me.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Now that he's been locked up by Boston I think the Pens should look at acquiring Moran for some defensive depth.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
OMA

Here's my take on the Flames.

Oleg Saprykin - Steven Reinprecht - Jarome Iginla
Chris Simon - Matthew Lombardi - Chuck Kobasew
Ville Niemenen - Marcus Nilson - Shean Donovan
Martin Gelinas - Stephane Yelle - Chris Clark
Byron Ritchie

Jordan Leopold - Robyn Regehr
Toni Lydman - Rhett Warrener
Denis Gauthier - Andrew Ference
Mike Commodore/Steve Montador
Dion Phaneuf (?)

Miikka Kiprusoff
Roman Turek
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The worst kept secret about the Calgary Flames is the logjam at defence. If Dion Phaneuf does sign, there will be 9 servicable NHL d-men. Given the salary structure of the Flames, you'd have to think that Toni Lydman or Denis Gauthier will be moved for some help up front.

Up front, we need some help on the second line. We have a whole bunch of 3rd liners and a 1st line that should be able to produce just fine. But that second line is looking a little bit iffy right now, especially if Reinprecht's shoulder doesn't hold up.

The biggest need for this club right now is a top 6 center. Conroy's absence created a hole there IMO. Lombardi's not quite ready yet IMO. Sutter stated that he tried to get a center at the draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he grabs one more before the year starts. Don't be surprised if it's in a trade involving Gauthier or Lydman

Old
07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
The Habs will need to address certain holes, whether it be through free agency or with NHL ready prospects. Those holes all figure in the forward positions.

Richard Zednik - Saku Koivu - ?
? - Mike Ribeiro - Michael Ryder
Jan Bulis - Radek Bonk - ?
? - Steve Begin - Jason Ward

Andrei Markov - Craig Rivet
Sheldon Souray - Mike Komisarek
Francis Bouillon - Patrice Brisebois
?

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

Theres a hole on pretty much every line. Pierre Dagenais was on the team last year, but his 2nd line spot might be taken by a Hossa or a Higgins. Perezhogin's suspension will also play a role on how the line up might look as well.

Management seems ready to give the kids some spots, and those who should be ready for an NHL job include Marcel Hossa, Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec. None of those players play RW, and there are currently two holes on RW, so chances are we may see a 3rd line RW come in throug free agency. Gainey has also mentioned that if Kovalev doesnt fill the 1st line RW spot, he will find someone else (what he means exactly, is still unknown).

As for the 7th defenseman, Gainey has said one of Beauchemin or Hainsey will in the spot out of camp.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Well, our forward corps is quite deep if I say so myself, especially if we sign Brett Hull, which is a very, very strong possibility. So baring that in mind, I think we're set there...

Pierre Turgeon - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Brenden Morrow - Jason Arnott - Bill Guerin
Antti Miettinen - Niko Kapanen - Jere Lehtinen
Steve Ott - Stu Barnes - Robbie DiMaio

With a boat load of potential fill-ins;

In a top 06/09 role: Junior Lessard and Jaroslav Svoboda
In a top 09/12 role: Mattias Tjarnqvist and Aaron Downey

Then we're arrived at what used to be the Stars trade mark, Defense:

Sergei Zubov - Don Sweeney
Trevor Daley - Philippe Boucher
John Erskine - Jon Klemm

Which has some "if's" attached to it for it to still be a succesful defensive unit:

- If Sweeney can play like he did last season. He was a rock, laying it all one the line.
- If John Erskine finally emerges and proves us why he was compared with Hatcher.
- If Trevor Daley can handle the responsibility to step into the top 4, and to log huge minutes.

Then we have Dan Jancevski, a hard nosed stay at home bruiser who made the AHL AS game as a starter last season, he will likely be our #7, maybe #6 if Erskine fails yet again. That, and the Stars are supposedly wanting to sign another depth defenseman through free agency, to provide depth and a more secure feeling heading into the 2004/2005 season in case someone goes down. But, the defense can easily be improved. It's not horrible, not at all, as we can potentially have four top 4 defensemen and a decent 3rd pairing, it's just not on par to what it used to be (Zubov, Boucher, Hatcher, Matvichuk, Sydor, Ludwig, Chambers, Lukowich, Jackman).

In net we have Turco, arguably a top 10 goalie in the NHL. He proved he can handle big time duties so the fact that we'll have a rookie backup next season isn't that much of a concern, baring injuries ofcourse. But, Dan Ellis or Mike Smith should get the job more than done. I don't think we have a real weakness here at all, realising Ellis' skill and potential.

So to make a long story short, another top 4 defenseman is probably our biggest need, and even if we not sign Hull, I'd like to think our forward corps is just fine.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:51 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Isles need a winger for Yashin.Either one with really good speed or a physical winger.They also need a physical defender,capable of playing in the top 4.

They contacted Rolston's reps,but Rolston signed with Minn.
Looking at the affordable ufa d-man,I'd like to see them sign A. Lijla.He's coming off a disappointing yr in FL,made $600,000 last yr..could be worth seeing if he can rebound from last yr.

Kvasha-Yashin-Hunter/Weinhandl
Blake-Peca-Parrish
Bergenheim/Bates-Scatchard-Hunter/Weinhandl
Papineau-Mapletoft-Godard

Aucoin-Jonsson
Hamrlik-Niinimaa
Martinek-Boots
Gervais/Pettinen

DiPietro
Snow or Dubie

Old
07-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Now that he's been locked up by Boston I think the Pens should look at acquiring Moran for some defensive depth.
Depth? No way! If the Pens could pry Moran away from Boston, he'd be our #1 D-man and MVP.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I agree with how OMA sees the Calgary Flames. I think Sutter's probably looking for another centre (established or prospect) who can fill in on the top two lines. Gauthier or Lydman may be part of such a deal.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:58 PM
flerd_trandle

The Thrashers most glaring weakness was defense. The additions of Havelid and Modry will go a long way to address that. The Thrashers will by no means have a dominating defense, but this will be, by far, the best top six the franchise has ever started a season with.

Next on the list is an offensive center to fill the #2 or #1 slot. In today's Atlanta Journal Constitution, GM Don Waddell said that finding a #2 center was his next task, but added, "I can tell you it's not going to be a $4 million player." That cuts a lot of free agents out of consideration. Likely he's looking for a trade to bring that guy in, possibly someone whose value has diminshed since losing favor with his current team. Picking up Marc Savard on the cheap was huge for the Thrashers offense and hopefully there will be another of that type of player available for a relatively reasonable trading price.

The team is also short on right wings. A second-line RW, to play with the second line center acquisition and Ilya Kovalchuk, would be an ideal pick-up, but I'm not sure if that is in the plans.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Depth? No way! If the Pens could pry Moran away from Boston, he'd be our #1 D-man and MVP.
Perhaps a trade for Moran, Hal Gill, and Ted Donato, with Evgeni Malkin going the other way?

Old
07-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Ponikarovsky-Nieuwendyk-Antropov
Tucker-Stajan-Nolan
Kilger-Wilm-Domi

Leetch-McCabe
Kaberle-Klee
Berg/Pilar-Colaiacovo

Belfour
Tellqvist

-Top 4 defenceman.... or a very solid #5
-top 6 winger

Old
07-08-2004, 04:03 PM
markpatrick27

Montreal's current line-up....

Zendik / Koivu / ??????
Dagenais / Ribiero / Ryder
Bulis / Bonk / Hossa
Begin / ?????? / Ward

We also have:
Higgins, Plekanec, Kastitsyn, Perezhogin (if he can play)
1st: We need a #1 forward to play on the first line
and I think that we should go after Kovalev or Demitra.
2nd: We need some to replace Langdon. I like Travis Green
and I think he would look good with Begin & Ward.

Markov / Rivet
Souray / Komisarek
?????? / Brisebois
Hainsey
Bouillon

I like are defense, hopefully Hainsey can win that last
spot. I also think that we could use 1 more defenseman
such as Richard Matvichuk. He would privide some good
experience & leadership, & I think he could help out
Komisarek in his development.

Theodore
Huet

In goal we look good, But I think we could use some
depth for the minors.

Overall, I think we have a good team that should make
the playoffs.

Old
07-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Frolov-Conroy-Straka
Luc-Armstrong-Klatt
Cowan-Avery-?
Belanger-Pirnes-?

Extra's-Cammalleri, Barney, Brown, maybe Kanko and Flinn.

Norstrom-Dempsey
Miller-Gleason
Visnovsky-Quintal

Extra's-Corvo, Holland, Grebeshkov

Cechmanek-Garon

Weaknesses? Yeah right. . . :lol

Seriously, alot.

Old
07-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Perhaps a trade for Moran, Hal Gill, and Ted Donato, with Evgeni Malkin going the other way?
Throw in Bill Ranford and Cam Neely and The Pens would add Fleury, Whitney, and Lemieux's son Austin.

Old
07-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
Do you think your team has a hole it needs to fill? How do you think they should fill that need, UFA, trade or upcoming prospect? I'm just interested to find out what teams are lacking.
I think the CBJ could use a RW with size and skill and rid ourselves of some 3rd line talent. I would say big time C, however, I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.

As for how do we get them, I would love a trade with TB or NYI for one of their young RW (Chernykh, Polushin, Alexeev) but don't see that happening. Realistically I think we'll continue to build through the draft. Currently we might look something like...(Maybe not these lines)

Nash-Cassels-Vyborny
Zherdv-Svitov-Letowski
Sanderson-Marchant-Malhotra
Shelley-Wright-Jackman/McDonell

Spacek-Richardson(Ouch)
Klesla-Suchy
Lachance-Westcott

Denis
Irbe

Can we compete? Probably. Minor changes and I think we could be a push for the bottom playoff spot when we play in 2005

Old
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
sunb

The Canucks would want a top 6 forward + a top 4 defenseman. But if you really want to get to the bottom of this, they want a premier starting goalie too.

But that is only our "wants."

Frankly I don't care about that, I think we have everything necessary for a championship.

What we really "NEED" here is "CONSISTENCY."

Despite what people think, if the Canucks can play consistently they are as good as any team out there. If the Sedins can dominate consistently then we'll have one of the better scoring 2nd lines in the league. If Cloutier can play consistently then we'll have a solid starter. If Jovanovski can play consistently then he'll be a Norris candidate. If Sopel and Malik can play consistently then we'll have one of the best defense corps in the league. Its all about consistency. The great teams have it and can prove it in the playoffs on any given day. The Canucks lack it regardless its a regular season game or a playoff showdown. The only thing we need imo, is consistency. Nothing else.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:33 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi - All set
Sedin-Sedin-King? - Not quite
Cooke-Chubarov-Linden - All set
Ruutu-Kesler?-May? - Not quite

Malik-Jovanovski - Set
Ohlund-Sopel - Set
Allen-Salo - Set

Cloutier Auld

Generally, the Canucks need a top 6 RW with skill and size for the Sedins. Thats the only glaring need, but of course another top 4 defenceman, and an elite goalie couldn't hurt.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Smyth/Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth/Torres-York-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Isbister-Stoll-Laraque

Brewer-Smith
Staois-Bergeron
Semenov-Ulanov

Conklin
Markkanen

Somthing like that...

Anyways, Edmonton needs a #1 goalie. Neither goalies we have are proven yet, and with a strong goaltender, we can go very far.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Aerolanche

Here is the Colorado Avalanche lineup as it is for the 2004-2005 season right now:

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Konowalchuk - Sakic - Svatos
Laaksonen - Gratton - Hinote
Worrell - Hahl/Hendrickson - Laperriere

Blake - Vaananen
Liles - Foote
Skrastins - Boughner/Sauer

Aebischer
Sauve

Team Strengths: Solid Defense, Excellent First Line, Good Checkers, Goaltending
Team Weaknesses: Second line Wingers. Svatos will be good but he has yet to play a full season. At least one second line winger is needed.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
In all honesty...the Penguins need veterans.

We have two guys over the age of 30 on the roster, Mario Lemieux and Mike Eastwood.

The only other player really theatening that plateu is Lasse Pirjeta, who will only be in his 3rd season in North America.

Our oldest defenseman is Michal Rozsival for crying out loud.

When rebuilding you want a team that is mostly young...but you need leadership and you need experience to help those youngsters along...and Lemieux can't do it all by himself.

A veteran defenseman is definitely our biggest need, we only have 6 NHL defenseman as of right now, and one of them only played 1 game the entire season(and that was in the AHL)...and that also happens to be our oldest defenseman...it doesn't have to be a groundbreaking signing, even someone like Jiri Slegr would be a huge help.

And on offense...a guy like Recchi or Kovalev would not only add valuable experience and leadership, but would step in and be a consistant force for the team, something that we're lacking due to Lemieux's health(guys like Morozov and Kraft are too streaky to be counted on as the team's main offensive output).

And we also desperately need a physical force on offense...a guy like Wiemer would be a godsend. Buchberger and McKenna are gone leaving no one on the team that will drop the gloves with any regularity.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Closed Thread