HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/-, Devils @ Penguins 4/05

Old
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Illinest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
The guy - Staal - has been scoring at around a point per game clip for close to 20 games. I think he has done enough "steping up".
no now he has to look pretty doing it. try to keep up.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
The guy - Staal - has been scoring at around a point per game clip for close to 20 games. I think he has done enough "steping up".
I disagree, the 3pts he got last game were hardly the result of "stepping up". Though I will admit he had a good game today, his "stepping up" needs to involve "showing up" every game consistently. Staal's problem in the role he's currently in is that we never know if he's going to have a good game or bad game...its almost a coin toss on which one it will be.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
no now he has to look pretty doing it. try to keep up.
22 points in his last 25 games including a four game pointless streak recently while playing great on the PK and more than ok defensively. Sure, he is still sloppy offensively and I'd like to see him improve his game, but people complaining about him not stepping up are just flat out wrong. I know you agree with me, but I had to say it.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:29 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
+ Watching the "Shirts Off Our Backs" presentation on the Pens website...If you can watch Geno and Sid come out without a smile on your face you need to check your pulse.
Marked out for Geno's appearance. Haven't seen that spindly ******* in forever it seems.

Cooke got a nice ovation for sure.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
22 points in 25 games while playing great on the PK and more than ok defensively. Sure, he is still sloppy offensively and I'd like to see him improve his game, but people complaining about him not stepping up are just flat out wrong. I know you agree with me, but I had to say it.
False, half of the games he's played he's been nothing short of horrendous...but everyone here defends him making excuses...then he has one or two good games and it seems that all is forgiven.

Again, I admit he was great tonight...but the Staal that needs to be here is the Staal that does what he did tonight on a regular basis. Because regardless of the apologists here, Staal, in numerous games, has been invisible. One or two games doesn't erase it.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I disagree, the 3pts he got last game were hardly the result of "stepping up". Though I will admit he had a good game today, his "stepping up" needs to involve "showing up" every game consistently. Staal's problem in the role he's currently in is that we never know if he's going to have a good game or bad game...its almost a coin toss on which one it will be.
How many 22 year old players bring it consistantly every game? Sure, Staal has experience, but he is a young guy asked to do things he has never done before and considering the circumstances, he is doing great. Sure, we would all like him to do better, but expecting him to be Sid or Geno - who inconsistent as hell himself - is ludicrous. You just can't replace those guys.

Considering he is playing against the other team's best defenders while having defensive responsabilities himself, it is fair to say that he has done a good enough job as our first line center. Could he do better? Sure! Does he deserve all the criticism he gets around here? Not at all.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
SirBrad

How about Pascal Dupuis is a more valuable plater to this team than Kovalev.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
How many 22 year old players bring it consistantly every game? Sure, Staal has experience, but he is a young guy asked to do things he has never done before and considering the circumstances, he is doing great. Sure, we would all like him to do better, but expecting him to be Sid or Geno - who inconsistent as hell himself - is ludicrous. You just can't replace those guys.

Considering he is playing against the other team's best defenders while having defensive responsabilities himself, it is fair to say that he has done a good enough job as our first line center. Could he do better? Sure! Does he deserve all the criticism he gets around here? Not at all.
Apologies = old

Regardless of age or all the other crap you guys say, he's been back for half a season...he's back. This "stepping up" needs to involve him showing up and making an impact every game. Not this 1-2 games good, 1-3,4 games nothing.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
How about Pascal Dupuis is a more valuable plater to this team than Kovalev.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Wow.. Cookie's applause rivaled Sid and Geno's

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:55 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Apologies = old

Regardless of age or all the other crap you guys say, he's been back for half a season...he's back. This "stepping up" needs to involve him showing up and making an impact every game. Not this 1-2 games good, 1-3,4 games nothing.
No training camp, 4 surgeries, a new role and 22 points in 25 games. I think we can live with the inconsistencies. Sure, we would all like him to do even more, but we have to be realistic too.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Wow.. Cookie's applause rivaled Sid and Geno's
I was pretty surprised by that.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:09 AM

+ Finally got to watch the majority of a game. I hate that I haven't been able to catch the Pens much lately.

I also expected it to be a bit more boring than it was. Thought it was a lot of fun to watch.

- Letang. Bad, bad game. Had some huge WTF passes.

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Thought Letang was worth noting again, because he was just bad.

3074326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:28 AM
ScOrpik

All Conner does is drive wide with the puck into the offensive zone and either:
a) shoot a REAL low pecentage shot, like low enough that there wont even be a rebound.
or
b) cough the puck up.

It's getting really really old

ScOrpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOrpik View Post
All Conner does is drive wide with the puck into the offensive zone and either:
a) shoot a REAL low pecentage shot, like low enough that there wont even be a rebound.
or
b) cough the puck up.

It's getting really really old
Conner-talbot-dupuis has worked so i wouldnt screw with it. Maybe throw cooke in conner's place later. We need a go to energy line to counter our loss of malkin.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

+ 2 points and both TB / PHI lose in regulation. Basically the best possible result for us tonight as far as seeding goes. I still think Philly hangs on to the division when it's all said and done, but barring an epic collapse the 4th seed is ours.

- Defensively the team was pretty terrible for a decent portion of the game, most notably in the third period.

+ Fleury played pretty excellent for most of the game. Had a few huge saves in the third to preserve a game that we probably didn't deserve to win.

- Letang and Orpik were terrible tonight. Breakdowns galore from these two.

+ Martin - Michalek pairing has been fantastic recently. I'm pretty sure I'd give these two the toughest matchups in the playoffs going forward.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Dylonus

+ Staal. Amazing game. He played against a quality defense as if it were an AHL defense. He was a true #1 center tonight. If he plays like this in the playoffs, we have a better chance than people realize.

+ MAF. Gave up two goals that could have been avoided, but he had to make 10-11 great saves first. Again, his play is showing me that I feel confident enough that good defense in front of him will mwean we make it to the ECF at the very least.

+ Dooper. Can't believe I just said that.

+ Martin. Looks like Disco Dan isn't crazy for calling him Lidstrom-like

- Other two defensive pairings. Awful. Just awful.

- Kovalev. He's the new whipping boy. He won't be back. Don't care if he played with Sid and Geno. He's done.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:30 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

How long exactly is Letestu going to be given a shot on that 1st line without producing any sort of offense whatsoever? I'd rather have Staal out there. At least when he was on that line, they were creating chances. Maybe not scoring on them or flubbing them, but at least they produced more than when Letestu has been trotted out there. I don't think Staal is what's making that line of Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy click anyway. I think it's chemistry between Kunitz and Kennedy.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Dupree13

Jordan Staal is one of the absolute last guys on this team who deserves criticism right now. Look around the league, their aren't many guys that really bring it offensively every single night. Staal is obviously not an offensive star but his line has been carrying pretty much the entire offensive load and he's been a huge part of it.

I know it's not necessarily the same people but I find it really backwards that Staal is getting heat from people while Neal continues to be largely immune from criticism.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I know it's not necessarily the same people but I find it really backwards that Staal is getting heat from people while Neal continues to be largely immune from criticism.
Neal is forced to be on a line that has zero chemistry, and Letestu has been playing pretty bad as of late as well. I wouldn't mind trying a lineup of...

Neal - Staal - Kovalev
Kunitz - Letestu - Kennedy

I'll probably get heat for saying that, but Letestu has done nothing for a long time now with the incredible opportunity he's been given. Plus I think the line of Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy is working so well right now because of how well Kunitz and Kennedy are playing together. Just to put things in perspective... Letestu has 5 points since the beginning of February.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Dupree13

It's true that Letestu has been bad but at the moment I don't see a better option. I wouldn't break up Staal's line, and if you don't think Staal has been a huge part of the success, I vehemently disagree.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
How long exactly is Letestu going to be given a shot on that 1st line without producing any sort of offense whatsoever? I'd rather have Staal out there. At least when he was on that line, they were creating chances. Maybe not scoring on them or flubbing them, but at least they produced more than when Letestu has been trotted out there. I don't think Staal is what's making that line of Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy click anyway. I think it's chemistry between Kunitz and Kennedy.
It's about time someone else has pointed this out. I've forgotten that Letestu is even playing

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
It's true that Letestu has been bad but at the moment I don't see a better option. I wouldn't break up Staal's line, and if you don't think Staal has been a huge part of the success, I vehemently disagree.
I think he's less important to that line's success than Kennedy and Kunitz are. I see shifts sometimes where he doesn't even touch the puck. It's all Kunitz and Kennedy working together. I'm not trying to say he hasn't been playing well. I just think that line works for reasons other than him being on it. You can't keep allowing Letestu to center two offensively gifted players in Neal and Kovalev and have nothing to show for it. They are completely useless for the most part in the current situation. Hell even Talbot showed more chemistry with those guys than Letestu currently is.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Dupree13

I just had a good outside the box idea. Since it's obvious that Neal-Letestu-Kovy is just not working, but the Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy is too good to break up, we should consider switching parts between the 1st and 3rd lines. Put Neal on the 3rd line so he can get back to basics playing with guys like Talbot who can actually win battles and cycle, and move up Dupuis to bring more speed to work with Letestu and Kennedy. Think about it, the 1st line could hardly be any more useless than it is now.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:00 AM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That is a good point. Orpik has been bad since coming back but that should be expected after being out a month+
I agree here. His positioning has been bad along with his strength which is winning battles. The Letang-Michalek pairing is struggling right now. Martin-Michalek has been lights out...so would you break up that pair to help the other two?

Anyone else here think that Eng has an injury, hence why we haven't seen him in so long?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote