HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paddock will be assistant?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

vCash: 500
Paddock will be assistant?

http://www.canoe.com/Slam040629/nhl_ott1-sun.html

Last paragraph.

For those who don't know, John Paddock is the head coach of our farm team, the Binghampton Senators. Before the announcement of Murray, it was speculated that he could end up with the head coaching job. And Perry Pearn is gone now, Murray says he doesn't want him. Pearn will likely end up back with Martin in Florida.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
SENSational

I hope Muckler looks for more options than Paddock. But I dont know if Paddock is a good coach or not so I dont care.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
littleHossa

Paddock is a great coach, he will do well as an assistant. The part I'm worried about is why Pearn wasn't accepted by Murray, when Martin was fired, he was the only coach kept by managment, he's also great on special teams and with the young guys.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Don Draper

I am thinking the reason why Pearn was kept originally was to have some sort of familiarity for the players. I guess Murray decided later that was not needed and wanted to bring in his own staff. Paddock will be a great addition i believe, i just wonder who will be replacing him down there. Maybe Hull?

Old
06-29-2004, 02:01 PM
7bucs

Is there a link where I can read about Pearn being let go? Or is it still not official?

Old
06-29-2004, 04:22 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
Paddock is a great coach, he will do well as an assistant. The part I'm worried about is why Pearn wasn't accepted by Murray, when Martin was fired, he was the only coach kept by managment, he's also great on special teams and with the young guys.
I think Pearn was kept on until it was clear who the new coach would be. I think if we went with someone without Murray's experience, then maybe they see value in retaining Pearn - but Bryan Murray seems to be looking for a new coaching direction and will choose his own assistants.

I think you'll see Paddock brought in, and possibly see Paddock take over the coaching reigns in a couple years. He was one of the first acquisitions that Muckler made when he arrived in Ottawa (literally hand-picking him for the Binghamton job), so there's reason to think that he's in their long-term plans. My personal thoughts on Bryan Murray is that he was brought in to coach for the next couple of years and then take over for Muckler as GM. But that's just my belief... we'll see what happens.

From what I understand, expect Paul Laus and Brian Skrudland's names to be featured prominently as assistant coach candidates. You might see Rob Ray join Jody Hull as an assistant in Binghamton also.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
You might see Rob Ray join Jody Hull as an assistant in Binghamton also.
Rob Ray has already said he doesnt want to coach

Old
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
7bucs

Quote:
My personal thoughts on Bryan Murray is that he was brought in to coach for the next couple of years and then take over for Muckler as GM. But that's just my belief... we'll see what happens.
Wasn't the reason Murray left Anaheim b/c he didn't want to be a GM, he would rather coach?

Quote:
From what I understand, expect Paul Laus and Brian Skrudland's names to be featured prominently as assistant coach candidates. You might see Rob Ray join Jody Hull as an assistant in Binghamton also.
Are all those names for Binghamton, or was Laus and Skrudland for Ottawa?

I think Skrudland would be a decent coach, not sure Laus was even interested in coaching. Maybe he could teach Neil how to fight.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:58 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
Wasn't the reason Murray left Anaheim b/c he didn't want to be a GM, he would rather coach?
Yes, but Pierre Gauthier left Ottawa because he didn't want to be a GM anymore too - you really can't take too much from these statements. I'm not saying it's an immediate thing - Murray is clearly our coach - but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
Are all those names for Binghamton, or was Laus and Skrudland for Ottawa?

I think Skrudland would be a decent coach, not sure Laus was even interested in coaching. Maybe he could teach Neil how to fight.
Both are for Ottawa. Interestingly, Laus seems to be more frequently mentioned - maybe because Skrudland took the year off to be with his family more. Either would be a good addition, though - both were players who demonstrated the kind of character we're hoping to see more of from this team, and they both seem to be good "hockey people" (feel for the game, experience, etc).

As for Neil... well, if it's just not working there's always 'putting on the foil'.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
Paddock would be a good fit in Ottawa, and Hull might work out as an assistant (its a thought). Ray used to do broadcasting in Buffalo for the Sabres before Mucks convinced him to come back and as far as im concerned, he can go back there. We dont need or want him.

Also, heres a further question: who would be our goaltending coach now that theyve fired Myre?

Old
06-30-2004, 02:12 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS_FAN_09
Also, heres a further question: who would be our goaltending coach now that theyve fired Myre?
Hasek.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
The Ottawa Sun said Tugnutt is a candidate for the goaltending coach position.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the Sun also said Adam Graves has been/will be approached about an assistant job here.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:15 PM
chara

Quote:
Billy Smith and ex-Sen Ron Tugnett have been mentioned.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:17 PM
SENS_FAN_09

Sweet! Graves and Smith i would love to have.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Bileur

Smith teaching Emery to cool down... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol :lol :lol

Old
07-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Quantas

It's nice to have a character guy on staff to teach the players some of the intangibles but who's going to taking over the speciality teams (more to the point, who's qualified to do it)? Powerplay was fine (except in the playoffs) but the PK needs work.

Old
07-06-2004, 08:05 PM
ErnestoGuevara

With the Hasek signing I think we found our goalie coach for at least two years (since his deal is a multi-year) so I don't tihnk we'll Smith or Tugnutt in Ottawa.... not yet anyways.

As for Paddock more and more rumours are saying he'll be an assistant to Murray when the next season starts and that the other assistant will most likely be a recently retired player. My guess is it's Jody Hull might be a possibilty, but I think the Sens might hand him the BInghamton head coach position if they promote Paddock.

Personnaly I'd really like to see Van Allen come in as an assistant coach, sure he's not the best but he has always been a smart player, good leader and a very good teamates. I think a lot of the guys would be happy to see him back in Ottawa as a coach. The guy has done so much for this community he deserves a chance and we really don't have a spot for him on the roster so why not behind the bench.

Old
07-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Spezza

I don't want to see a recent sen do it. We need to get away from the family mentality. IMHO we need to have someone else who can come from a different angle.

Old
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
SENS_FAN_09

I would hope that we get Smith...is that likely?

Old
07-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

I had the opportunity to attend a charity event this summer that featured many hockey "old timers". At the time, Lalime was still a Sen and Hasek rumours were just starting.

I sniffed out three former goalies who are or recently were goalie coaches in the NHL and asked about the Sens goalie situation. What was interesting was that all three said exactly the same thing in three separate conversations I had with them.

1. Lalime is a good enough goalie and the Sens are nuts if they gid of him because they won't get anyone who's any better.

2. When I asked about Hasek coming in, all three said.."injury prone, big risk, and he quit on his teamates last year"

I would think this would be the same attitude of most available goalie coaches. Plus what is a goalie coach going to teach Hasek? I suspect Hasek would not take too kindly to anyone telling him what to do.

IMO Hasek will take Prusek under his wing and he will be the defacto goalie coach.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
IMO Hasek will take Prusek under his wing and he will be the defacto goalie coach.
Definitly... like I said in another thread Muckler had to get rid of Lalime because the fans were blaming him for the first round exit. So now he had Prusek as his number 1 and didn't have the choice to sign someone who can be a #1, obviously he thinks Hasek can still be a #1 but he also thinks Prusek can be a #1 in the future... and Hasek gives him a goalie for now and is the perfect teacher/goalie coach for his future goalie.

We've always said that Emery was the goalie of the future and that Prusek will be nothing more than a backup in this league but what if Muckler thinks otherwise?? You have to admit, Emery wasn't very impressive (althoug his wrist injury was probably a factor) during his time in Ottawa and Prusek has pretty impressive numbers so far in his north american career (both AHL and NHL). That's just my opinion but I really think Muckler sees alot more potential in Prusek than most fans do and that including me.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:17 AM
N Bahn Ahden

It's now official, Padock will be one of the assistants.

http://www.ottawasenators.com/news/p...004/nr0709.aro

Closed Thread