HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Line-up Assassination Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
  #201
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
You've got more selling to do for most people to believe that, I think. Keats brought some good intangibles, but did he really differentiate himself from some of the other western centre's of the time well enough offensively to get counted that high?

I must have.
Yes, he did. I thought I showed that in my bio. Nobody came even close to him offensively out west, and he was the FAST for a number of years in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You know, BW, i really like your team. But overselling your guys to the point where everyone Lols or facepalms probably isn't the way to win this thing. Keats was great value where you drafted him, but he is no Bentley or Forsberg.
He's no Forsberg, sure, but why no Bentley? Bentley seems very overrated to me. Regardless, I don't think top-30 is a stretch.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
  #202
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I'd probably reserve that judgment until you look at some other 1st line RWs.
Daniel Briere is more relevant than Phil Watson at RW (especially if Watson is playing with, of all people, Duke Keats). Put him with Tom Dunderdale (or somebody like that) and I'd wouldn't have much problem with it, but not on a 1st line.

Keats -- the guy is really a first C. Not Bentley nor Forsberg, but it's not like those guys are bottom of the barrel 1st C's, either.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
  #203
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Daniel Briere is more relevant than Phil Watson at RW (especially if Watson is playing with, of all people, Duke Keats). Put him with Tom Dunderdale (or somebody like that) and I'd wouldn't have much problem with it, but not on a 1st line.
It's 40 teams.. what else do you think I could have done? Watson was the 49th RW taken, so yeah, he probably is bottom-barrel RW. I really don't understand your hate of him, to be honest. Also, Duke Keats and Cy Denneny are both very strong goal scorers.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
  #204
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I'd probably reserve that judgment until you look at some other 1st line RWs.
I'd guess Darragh is a low end RW and I think he's better than Watson, let alone my second RW in Kerr who is just there because of his fit as a winger.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
  #205
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
It's 40 teams.. what else do you think I could have done? Watson was the 49th RW taken, so yeah, he probably is bottom-barrel RW. I really don't understand your hate of him, to be honest. Also, Duke Keats and Cy Denneny are both very strong goal scorers.
I certainly don't hate Watson. I just think he should never see Top-6 minutes on RW, even if he is certainly a 2nd line center.

If anything, Watson makes more sense (to me) as a coach than as a 1st line RW. That tells you all you need to know (that I know) about Watson.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
  #206
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Yes, he did. I thought I showed that in my bio. Nobody came even close to him offensively out west, and he was the FAST for a number of years in a row.
Just glancing at his statistics, I'm not sure about it. Maybe in his own league he dominanted, but there were three quality leagues at the time of much of his dominance and there were all the PCHA guys around in addition to NHA/NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I certainly don't hate Watson. I just think he should never see Top-6 minutes on RW, even if he is certainly a 2nd line center.
I think you may be being harsh on his versatility/glue guy abilities. In a draft like this, some glue guy RWs will get put into top line roles that don't look particularly good there (My own Dave Taylor for example).

Leafs Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:27 PM
  #207
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Regarding Art Ross, is it an issue that he is on the 2nd pairing and he was voted as the "Most Selfish Player" during his career?
can you provide some source for that?

i searched in google news archive for art ross selfish and found these 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Leader: 1-18-1908
(quoting an Ottawa Free Press writer) Reports of Arthur Ross being the sensation of the year have not been exaggerated. He is another Hodd (sic) Stuart and then some. Speed, magnificent stick handling, ability to dodge everything and anybody, backed up by a fine shooting arm, places (sic) the celebrated athlete on a pinnacle few may hope ever to attain. Ross has everything. The cool head is ever prevalent. He can work by himself or with the rest of the team, has no disposition to be selfish and is gifted with a powerful physique to round off his other accomplishments.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+selfish&hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Phoenix: 1-30-1909
Far Short of Hod Stewart
Ross fills the place on the team left by the late "Hod" Stewart, but he hasn't the finish that that great player had. His play is too much on the selfish order; he wants to score, and that is where Stewart had it on him. Stewart was satisfied to carry the puck into the opposing side's territory and pass to someone else to do the shooting. Thus he not only made a name for himself but one for the man who did the scoring. As a defence player Ross is not to be criticized, but when he sallies forth to do the scoring, he makes a mistake.
only one year apart, but very different reports, even in comparison to hod stuart, and both spelled hod stuart wrong.


2nd article says russell bowie was a great stickhandler, but was not fast and many could outskate him. also says bowie may be the best player in hockey.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+selfish&hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I'd like to see some evidence of Pete Green playing something other than his defensive system. I've read that his team used a dump but not chase system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Heh, that's hilarious. "dump but not chase" is actually a fair but vague description of the Lemaire trap too.
many teams played passively like that when protecting a lead. many teams still do. icing did not exist until 1939.

but i have not read about it as a general style of play.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM
  #208
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
All the more time to find reasons to hate him

And neat findings nik jr. Seems mostly positive; I'll add them to my Ross bio (crediting you). Though Ross did play a bit selfishly, I suppose, I don't think it's to the point where he's going to cause a fuss for being on a second pairing.
My point was : what succes did Watson achieved as a RW?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
  #209
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
My point was : what succes did Watson achieved as a RW?
I was under the impression he played a pretty decent amount at RW as well. You seem strict on multi positional elgibility in that sense; as long as a guy shows that he can succeed at another forward position and excel for a reasonable length of time, I'm usually good with him being used there without penalty, even if he accomplished more of his stuff at another position.

Leafs Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:54 PM
  #210
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
My point was : what succes did Watson achieved as a RW?
I thought he played more RW than C. Everywhere I see him listed, it's RW/C.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  #211
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
MONTREAL CANADIENS



Manager: ReenMachine

Head Coach: Harry Sinden
Defense Coach: Jacque Laperrière
Captain: Wayne Gretzky
Assistant: Nicklas Lidstrom
Assistant: Lanny McDonald

ROSTER

#16 Patrik Elias - #99 Wayne Gretzky - #9 Lanny McDonald
#17 Wendel Clark - #18 Denis Savard - #19 Jean Pronovost
#2 Louis Berlinquette - #11 Steve Kasper - #17 Mike Foligno
#14 Geoff Courtnall - #15 Billy Reay - #27 Alex Kovalev
Spares: #10 Barry Pederson , #30 Chris Nilan

#5 Nicklas Lidstrom - #16 Vladimir Konstantinov
#20 Gary Suter - #20 Dallas Smith
#26 Dave Langevin - #34 Al Iafrate
Spares: #26 Mike Milbury

#1 Alec Connell
#35 Jean-Sébastien Giguère


PP1: Wayne Gretzky , Lanny McDonald , Alex Kovalev , Nicklas Lidstrom , Gary Suter

PP2: Denis Savard , Jean Pronovost , Patrick Elias , Al Iafrate , Vlad Konstantinov

PK1: Steve Kasper , Louis Berlinquette , Nicklas Lidstrom , Dallas Smith

PK2: Billy Reay , Mike Foligno , Vladimir Konstantinov , Dave Langevin

PK3: Wayne Gretzky , Patrick Elias

6 men: Gretzky , McDonald , Elias , Savard , Lidstrom , Suter
I've been grilling your moves all draft so I'll make you my first assasination:

Line 1 - Gretzky-McDonald is a great tandem. I don't like Elias as a first liner but his defensive awareness makes that line fit like a glove.

Line 2 - Denis Savard is one of the best 2nd line C's in the draft, just love his creativity as a player. Wendel Clark, however, will limit the production this line can have as Pronovost isn't good enough to make up for it.

Line 3 - Not the most familiar with these foo's, solid defensively virtually nothing offensively out of your 3rd line which is going to hurt.

Line 4 - Mixed bad. Courtnall is probably out of place as a starter, but would have been a good spare. Kovalev is more enigmatic than the Bermuda triangle.

Defence: Love your top 3, big drop off in depth though IMO. Can Lidstrom, SUter, and Konstantinov all handle 25-30 minutes a game? They would have to play that much.

..Bringing me to my next point, they would have to play that much because I don't think Connell is a very good starter in this (to be expected, where you picked him).

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:13 PM
  #212
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I thought he played more RW than C. Everywhere I see him listed, it's RW/C.
He centered Patrick, Hextall to the Stanley Cup and to a few AST berths (Watson himself got one, at C), and was used a lot at LW after the war (from what I could gather). He did play on the 2nd/3rd line at RW for Montreal during the 50 goals season. Certainly didn't play much RW with the Rangers when Dillon, Hextall and an undrafted guy who played RW/D (but much more RW than D) were with that team.

Really versatile, but I wouldn't trust him with scoringline duties on wing.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
  #213
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
He centered Patrick, Hextall to the Stanley Cup and to a few AST berths (Watson himself got one, at C), and was used a lot at LW after the war (from what I could gather). He did play on the 2nd/3rd line at RW for Montreal during the 50 goals season. Certainly didn't play much RW with the Rangers when Dillon, Hextall and an undrafted guy who played RW/D (but much more RW than D) were with that team.

Really versatile, but I wouldn't trust him with scoringline duties on wing.
Then it's a good thing that his primary duties aren't to be a scorer!

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  #214
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I've been grilling your moves all draft so I'll make you my first assasination:

Line 1 - Gretzky-McDonald is a great tandem. I don't like Elias as a first liner but his defensive awareness makes that line fit like a glove.

Defence: Love your top 3, big drop off in depth though IMO. Can Lidstrom, SUter, and Konstantinov all handle 25-30 minutes a game? They would have to play that much.

).
thx for the review !

a) I didn't checked , but I wonder where Elias would rank as far as LW , he must not be THAT low , even if he's not top 40 he must not be that far , at least I think.

b) I think you underrate my bottom 3 D , especially Dallas Smith.Looking at the bottom 3 of every team that's not really better in general.

As far as my 3rd line goes , I think it's a pretty strong defensive line , and it was my goal to make them that way.Whether or not it was a good strategy remains to be seen but I wanted it to be as good defensively as I could with the picks I had and I think I ''stole'' Kasper and Berlinquette just before they were gonna get picked.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:31 PM
  #215
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Have at it boys, it's a mess

Pat Burns

Captain: Sylvio Mantha
Alternate: Alex Delvecchio
Alternate: Nikolai Sologubov

Tikkanen-Delvecchio-Darragh
Sedin-Sedin-Kerr
Patrick-Nilsson-Hyland
Fleming-Madden-Sutter

Spares: Granato, Cloutier, Lang

The third and fourth lines are interchangeable lines who will get minutes based off of matchups. If we feel we need to shut down a good second line, we will use the 4th more often, and if we need more offense we will use the third line more. With Burns coaching, I think we know which way that will lean.

Gadsby-Mantha
Sologubov-Harmon
Regehr-Tregubov

Spare: Kubina

Plante
Turco

PP: The two forward units will get even time, Gadsby about 60-65%, and Delvecchio about 70%, with Sologubov coming on for Gadsby when he leaves.

Patrick-Nilsson-Kerr
Delvecchio-Gadsby

Sedin-Sedin-Hyland
Mantha-Sologubov

Other PP options: Darragh, Cloutier, Granato (in front of net)

PK:

Tikkanen-Madden
Gadsby-Mantha

Fleming-Delvecchio/Sutter
Regehr-Harmon

Other PK options: Darragh
Ask and you shall receive.

You have above average coaching with Pat Burns I would say. Can't ignore his track record and he was one of the great ''rally the troop'' types.

Line 1 - Hmm, bit of an unorthodox first line, but not bad. Nobody stands out as a superstar here, but no glaring weakness either. Tikannen may hurt in the way of production.

Line 2 - , what can I say I love this line. In reality Sedin-Sedin-Kerr would dominate, but I don't know how the others will view your second line. I've made the point about the Sedins since the lockout - it's a 6-year stretch where they have put up some of the best numbers in the NHL.

Line 3 - I like GM's with the cojones to go with 3 lines who can put the puck in the net at any given shift. Nilsson is extremely talented as a 3rd line C.

Line 4 - Solid grindy, checking type of a line in my view. Not much in scoring support but that doesn't matter too much anyways.

Defence: LOve the top pair, but you should look at splitting up Gadsby and Mantha when you don't have home ice advantage because I really don't know how guys like Sologubov and Tregubov would hold up against oppositions scoring stars.

Not much needs to be said about your goaltending.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
  #216
JFA87-66-99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
PITTSBURGH BANKERS
Manager: JFA87-66-99


Head Coach: Frank Boucher
Assistant Coach: Claude Ruel
Captain: Newsy Lalonde
Assistant Captains: Valeri Kharlamov, Harry Cameron

Valeri Kharlamov (A)-Newsy Lalonde (C)-Mike Gartner
Alexander Yakushev-Bill Cowley-Harry Westwick
Harry Smith-Pavel Datsyuk-Cully Wilson
Lorne Campbell-Dick Irvin-Mike Keane
Spares: Haviland Routh, Alexei Guryshev

Harry Cameron (A)-Bill Barilko
Mike Grant-Lars-Erik Sjoberg
Jack Laviolette-Andre Dupont
Spares: Jack Campbell

Rogie Vachon
Marc-Andre Fleury

PP1: Kharlamov-Cowley-Lalonde
Gartner-Cameron

PP2: Yakushev-Datsyuk-Smith
Grant-Laviolette

PK1: Datsyuk-Westwick
Barilko-Dupont

PK2: Wilson-Keane
Grant-Laviolette


Last edited by JFA87-66-99: 04-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
  #217
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Thank you to MB for kicking off an assassination.

Also, seeing as how I drafted Duane, I feel like I should point out that my Sutter is Ron.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
  #218
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I honestly think he's been overrated in the ATD for a long time, mostly because pappyline and GBC couldn't detach themselves from his nuts for whatever reason.


pappyline said he saw an old ASG clip from 1951 and Bentley's stickhandling was amazing.

GBC listens to pappy, and also Bentley is a saskatchewan boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
People make him sound like he was the stupidest of player and that without a coach to control him he would fill his pool with doughnut and swim in it.


I literally laughed out loud at work!

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  #219
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,841
vCash: 500


coaches Dr. Jan Starsi and Ivan Hlinka

Brian Propp - Cyclone Taylor - Helmuts Balderis
Tommy Smith - Igor Larionov - George Armstrong (A)
Vinny Damphousse - Red Sullivan (A) - Bengt-Åke Gustafsson
Jack Marks - Brian Skrudland - Pat Flatley

Frank Rankin, Moose Watson

Red Kelly (C) - Tom Johnson
Vladimir Lutchenko - Battleship Leduc
Fred Lake - Phil Housley

Albert Langlois

Hugh Lehman
John Vanbiesbrouck

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:02 PM
  #220
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,777
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Cleveland Barons



Head Coach: Mike Keenan
Assistant Coach:
Captain: Sprague Cleghorn
Assistant Captains: Bob Pulford, Alexander Ragulin, Barclay Plager


Vic Hadfield - Phil Esposito - Cam Neely
Luc Robitaille - Alexander Maltsev - Håkan Loob
Brenden Morrow - Bob Pulford - Bill Goldsworthy
Ryan Walter - Cully Dahlstrom - Duane Sutter

Spares: Dennis Maruk, Patrick Kane

Alexander Ragulin - Sprague Cleghorn
Barclay Plager - Barry Beck
Ian Turnbull - Barry Ashbee

Spares: Niklas Kronwall, Oleg Tverdovsky

Tiny Thompson
Pete Peeters

POWERPLAY

PP1: Alexander Maltsev - Phil Esposito - Cam Neely - Ian Turnbull - Sprague Cleghorn

PP2: Luc Robitaille - Ryan Walter - Hakan Loob - Alexander Ragulin - Barry Beck



PENALTY KILL

PK1: Bob Pulford - Hakan Loob - Barclay Plager - Barry Ashbee

PK2: Cully Dahlstrom - Brenden Morrow - Alexander Ragulin - Sprague Cleghorn

PK3: Phil Esposito - Duane Sutter - Barclay Plager - Barry Ashbee
First Line

This line will certainly not lack toughness. Neely is a premier power forward who can work the corners, and feed Espo in his office in the slot. Hadfield brings toughness to the line as well. This line will not be intimidated. The problems they may have is that they aren't the fastest group, and I don't know that Hadfield provides enough playmaking for the line to function perfectly. This line will definitely score a good bit, and will not be a liability in its own zone.

Second Line

I'm a big Maltsev fan. He can do just about anything, and is a good player for this line. Robitaille is definitely your trigger guy, Maltsev your puck control guy, and Loob provides some playmaking and scoring ability from the wing. Loob isn't ideal as being the best corner guy on a line, but he'll do. This line isn't very physical, but I still think it can work. They will probably be about average defensively.

Third Line

Morrow and Pulford are both very gritty, good forechecking two-way forwards that make 2/3 of a good 3rd line. Goldsworthy provides some two-way ability, and goal scoring ability. They will be solid in their own end, and can chip in some goals. My only concern would be the lack of playmaking in order to get the puck to Goldsworthy. Pulford will dig it out, but will they be able to get it to Goldsworthy?

Fourth Line

Walter and Sutter are both prototypical grinders. Dahlstrom in the middle brings some playmaking ability, but I don't know if Walter and Sutter are good enough to capitalize. They will be good in their own end, and will be able to forecheck well. In terms of offense, they don't bring much. Lots of intangibles though.

Offense Overall

Top 6 will be able to score goals, and bottom 6 will be very good at grinding and bringing intangibles to the table. 1st line has a bit of an issue with speed and a lack of playmaking, but they should still be effective. A good group.

1st Pairing

Your 1st pairing is probably the best part of your team. Cleghorn is a very legit #1, and alongside Ragulin they will be a bruising top pairing. Cleghorn provides offensive ability and physicality, and Ragulin is a great physical defensive defenseman. A very, very strong 1st pairing. It was a very good move for you to get rid of Sologubov in favor of Ragulin, which I believe was a huge upgrade.

2nd Pairing

Your 2nd pairing is extremely tough as well. Beck could hit very well and Plager was extremely tough. I'm not sure how well Beck fits the role of a #3, he's more of a high end #4, but I think this pairing will be okay. Beck provides some offense, but not a whole lot. EB's and your top 4 will compete for toughest top 4 in the draft.

3rd Pairing

Turnbull rushes the puck and provides offense, and Ashbee is a stay at home defender. They compliment each other well, and make for a good 3rd pairing.

Defense Overall

A strong overall group. The top pairing is very good, the 2nd pairing is decent, and the 3rd pairing is good as well.

Goaltending

Thompson is an upper middle tier starter, and Peeters is a decent backup. Nothing great, but won't lose you any games.

PP

I like the first unit. Maltsev can play any forward position, and a PP with Phil in front of the net, Neely digging out pucks, and Cleghorn on the point looks like a recipe for success. 2nd unit is not nearly as impressive. I don't buy Walter as a PP guy, and Ragulin isn't best suited for PP duty. A sub-par 2nd unit, and a strong 1st unit.

PK

Pulford is good on the PK, but what about Loob makes him worthy of 1st PK duty? I don't see anything in your bio about him that indicates he would be strong on the PK. Defense on all 3 pairings looks good. 2nd unit PK forwards look solid, Espo-Sutter is question mark for me, but for a 3rd unit, will survive.

Coaching

Keenan is a lower middle tier coach, and will get the most out of his players.

Overall

Top 6 will get you goals, and bottom 6 will provide grit and intangibles, but not too much offense. Keenan will like the grit your bottom 6 brings and the toughness in your top 4. Your 1st pairing is a great strength, and defense overall is solid.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
  #221
Velociraptor
Registered User
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
First Line

This line will certainly not lack toughness. Neely is a premier power forward who can work the corners, and feed Espo in his office in the slot. Hadfield brings toughness to the line as well. This line will not be intimidated. The problems they may have is that they aren't the fastest group, and I don't know that Hadfield provides enough playmaking for the line to function perfectly. This line will definitely score a good bit, and will not be a liability in its own zone.

Second Line

I'm a big Maltsev fan. He can do just about anything, and is a good player for this line. Robitaille is definitely your trigger guy, Maltsev your puck control guy, and Loob provides some playmaking and scoring ability from the wing. Loob isn't ideal as being the best corner guy on a line, but he'll do. This line isn't very physical, but I still think it can work. They will probably be about average defensively.

Third Line

Morrow and Pulford are both very gritty, good forechecking two-way forwards that make 2/3 of a good 3rd line. Goldsworthy provides some two-way ability, and goal scoring ability. They will be solid in their own end, and can chip in some goals. My only concern would be the lack of playmaking in order to get the puck to Goldsworthy. Pulford will dig it out, but will they be able to get it to Goldsworthy?

Fourth Line

Walter and Sutter are both prototypical grinders. Dahlstrom in the middle brings some playmaking ability, but I don't know if Walter and Sutter are good enough to capitalize. They will be good in their own end, and will be able to forecheck well. In terms of offense, they don't bring much. Lots of intangibles though.

Offense Overall

Top 6 will be able to score goals, and bottom 6 will be very good at grinding and bringing intangibles to the table. 1st line has a bit of an issue with speed and a lack of playmaking, but they should still be effective. A good group.

1st Pairing

Your 1st pairing is probably the best part of your team. Cleghorn is a very legit #1, and alongside Ragulin they will be a bruising top pairing. Cleghorn provides offensive ability and physicality, and Ragulin is a great physical defensive defenseman. A very, very strong 1st pairing. It was a very good move for you to get rid of Sologubov in favor of Ragulin, which I believe was a huge upgrade.

2nd Pairing

Your 2nd pairing is extremely tough as well. Beck could hit very well and Plager was extremely tough. I'm not sure how well Beck fits the role of a #3, he's more of a high end #4, but I think this pairing will be okay. Beck provides some offense, but not a whole lot. EB's and your top 4 will compete for toughest top 4 in the draft.

3rd Pairing

Turnbull rushes the puck and provides offense, and Ashbee is a stay at home defender. They compliment each other well, and make for a good 3rd pairing.

Defense Overall

A strong overall group. The top pairing is very good, the 2nd pairing is decent, and the 3rd pairing is good as well.

Goaltending

Thompson is an upper middle tier starter, and Peeters is a decent backup. Nothing great, but won't lose you any games.

PP

I like the first unit. Maltsev can play any forward position, and a PP with Phil in front of the net, Neely digging out pucks, and Cleghorn on the point looks like a recipe for success. 2nd unit is not nearly as impressive. I don't buy Walter as a PP guy, and Ragulin isn't best suited for PP duty. A sub-par 2nd unit, and a strong 1st unit.

PK

Pulford is good on the PK, but what about Loob makes him worthy of 1st PK duty? I don't see anything in your bio about him that indicates he would be strong on the PK. Defense on all 3 pairings looks good. 2nd unit PK forwards look solid, Espo-Sutter is question mark for me, but for a 3rd unit, will survive.

Coaching

Keenan is a lower middle tier coach, and will get the most out of his players.

Overall

Top 6 will get you goals, and bottom 6 will provide grit and intangibles, but not too much offense. Keenan will like the grit your bottom 6 brings and the toughness in your top 4. Your 1st pairing is a great strength, and defense overall is solid.
Appreciate the review Billy, very agreeable points that you made. With my third line, Pulford wasn't a huge play maker. I think with enough defensive potential on the line, the puck will be fairly easy to get out to Goldie, who is a prominent goal scorer.

Loob is merely a threat who takes advantage of tired defenseman who are likely to cough up the puck, his blazing speed will be able to create breakway chances.


Last edited by Velociraptor: 04-08-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
  #222
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,841
vCash: 500
Vancouver Velocity

head coach Hap Day
assistant coach Tom Watt

Ilya Kovalchuk - Sidney Crosby (A) - Guy Lafleur
Markus Naslund - Neil Colville - Andrei Khomutov
Steve Vickers - Mike Ridley - Trevor Linden
Slava Kozlov - Kelly Kisio - Stan Smyl
Lorne Henning

Brian Leetch (C) - Adam Foote
Karel Gut - Dmitri Yushkevich (A)
Mattias Ohlund - Marty Burke
Barney Holden, Doug Young

George Hainsworth
Roberto Luongo

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
  #223
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post


GM: Dwight
Coach: Boris Kulagin
Captain: Mario Lemieux
Alternate Captains: Boris Mikhailov, Jim Schoenfeld

Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Vsevolod Bobrov - Bernie Federko - Harry Oliver
Gilles Tremblay - Bob Bourne - Gary Dornhoefer
Bob Davidson - Ray Getliffe - Marcel Bonin
Don Grosso - Bronco Horvath

Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy
Jim Schoenfeld - Stefan Persson
Petr Svoboda - Andrei Markov
Doug Jarrett - Bruce Driver

Hap Holmes
Tomas Vokoun

PP1
Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Jan Suchy - Stefan Persson

PP2
Vsevolod Bobrov - Bernie Federko - Harry Oliver
Lionel Conacher - Andrei Markov

PK1
Bob Davidson - Bob Bourne
Lionel Conacher - Jim Schoenfeld

PK2
Gilles Tremblay - Ray Getliffe
Jan Suchy - Petr Svoboda

PK3
Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy

Hero Line
Vsevolod Bobrov - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy
Not an assassination per se...
But a few comments.

+ Any line with Tremblay and Bourne is possibly the fastest in the draft, with both guys being possibly the fastest skaters in the league (in their prime). It's a shame for Dornhoefer, who might have problems following. THe good thing is -- it's a defensive line.

+ Find a way to put Andrei Markov on the PP 1st wave, unless you want your best option on the 2nd wave, which isn't really an option.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
  #224
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
+ Find a way to put Andrei Markov on the PP 1st wave, unless you want your best option on the 2nd wave, which isn't really an option.
Did you miss the Andrei Markov discussion earlier? Not everyone is in agreement on his power play credentials.

I agree that Markov is a 1st PP unit guy at this level.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
  #225
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Did you miss the Andrei Markov discussion earlier? Not everyone is in agreement on his power play credentials.

I agree that Markov is a 1st PP unit guy at this level.
I did miss it and I wholeheartedly disagree with those people, even if I didn't even read their argument.

Markov has to be considered a better offensive player than Persson at this point. In fact, I can't even see how somebody could conclude otherwise.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.