HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Simon Despres - 2010-2011 QMJHL Defenseman Of The Year

Old
04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
St. John swept their first round of the playoffs by the combined score of 26-2.

That is incredible.
And they're probably gonna do something similar to my Tigres

They have a stacked team. They were already very strong last year, this year, they are just unstoppable. It would take a miracle for someone to beat them in a seven games series.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Sideline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
good lord i hope not
I don't buy the JayBo comparison because once in a while Despres does something like this:

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Genetic

exactly what i meant.

edit: that was actually a pretty nice hit. im really excited to see him play with the pens in a few seasons.

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Yeah I agree... just saying what I heard.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
KiuasWarrior

I have yet to see him play.

But congrats, young sir!

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
JTG

If he learns how to throw his weight around effectively, that man is going to to be a missile on the ice. He's so big and so fast, the potential he has to be a completely devastating hitter is huge.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
If he learns how to throw his weight around effectively, that man is going to to be a missile on the ice. He's so big and so fast, the potential he has to be a completely devastating hitter is huge.
I don't see him as much as our resident Sea Dogs fan, but Despres strikes me as a sleeping giant kind of guy. He'll play a Paul Martin style position/skating game (obviously not at Martin's level), but occasionally someone slashes him or otherwise pisses him off. Then he turns into 6'4" 220 lbs of nasty.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I remember Despres throwing acouple nice checks in pre-season. The one almost turned into a brutal hip-check on a guy coming into the zone at the blue line, Despres just closed in on him so fast but the guy somehow dodged most of the blow. Pretty sure he gave up the puck in order to do so though.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I remember Despres throwing acouple nice checks in pre-season. The one almost turned into a brutal hip-check on a guy coming into the zone at the blue line, Despres just closed in on him so fast but the guy somehow dodged most of the blow. Pretty sure he gave up the puck in order to do so though.
I remember that one. He look like Drew Doughty closing in for it.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Didn't Letang win Q Defenseman of the Year his final season? Hopefully Despres follows Letang's development arc.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Didn't Letang win Q Defenseman of the Year his final season? Hopefully Despres follows Letang's development arc.
He did and yes, that would be spectacular.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:11 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I don't see him as much as our resident Sea Dogs fan, but Despres strikes me as a sleeping giant kind of guy. He'll play a Paul Martin style position/skating game (obviously not at Martin's level), but occasionally someone slashes him or otherwise pisses him off. Then he turns into 6'4" 220 lbs of nasty.
From what I have seen of Despres, I don't see that cerebral type of game, like Paul Martin. I think he could be a Kronwall type. Good middle pairing defenseman with the ability to throw killer hits, if he so chooses to develop that part of his game further.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I watched both guys as juniors and Desprès doesn't have the offensive game Letang had. In his final junior season, Letang was an absolute beast offensively.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
I watched both guys as juniors and Desprès doesn't have the offensive game Letang had. In his final junior season, Letang was an absolute beast offensively.
He said 'development arc,' so I don't think he was comparing the two. He just meant that hopefully, Despres is able to contribute in the NHL soon and reaches his full potential at a very young age.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
He said 'development arc,' so I don't think he was comparing the two. He just meant that hopefully, Despres is able to contribute in the NHL soon and reaches his full potential at a very young age.
Letang was not only the best defenseman in the league during his last year of juniors, he was the best player in the Q. He was also a beast during the WJC and, IMO, outshadowed both Johnsons. He was VERY dominant and Desprès isn't close to this type of domination.

If you mean that he'll quickly make an impact at the NHL level, I agree. If our defensemen wwere anything like when Letang got his 10 game tryout, Desprès would have cracked the team this year. He might next year, but we do have a lot of depth though, so he might have to spend time in the AHL. However, I think he'll be NHL ready by camp.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Letang was not only the best defenseman in the league during his last year of juniors, he was the best player in the Q. He was also a beast during the WJC and, IMO, outshadowed both Johnsons. He was VERY dominant and Desprès isn't close to this type of domination.
I know that. You're really missing the point. It was an off-hand comment that literally meant nothing in terms of player evaluation. Their upsides and roles are different, he just hopes that Despres can reach his full potential as quickly as Letang has.

Quote:
If you mean that he'll quickly make an impact at the NHL level, I agree. If our defensemen wwere anything like when Letang got his 10 game tryout, Desprès would have cracked the team this year. We do have a lot of depth though, so he might have to spend time in the AHL. However, I think he'll be NHL ready by camp.
Despres will be good enough to be a 5/6 guy, but he'll spend a year in the AHL.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Fair enough. I thought he was comparing their potential impact.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
good lord i hope not
Jbo's a good player, we should be ecstatic if our 30th overall pick turned out anything like him (even though I hope Despres is more intense than Jbo).

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
That of course will probably come with coaching and learning that he has the tools to do it. At least with him, he's actually shown this element, which is something that Whitney never did at any level as far as I understand.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Simon Despres: The Next One.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I dunno... maybe I'm overvaluing Despres but I don't know that it's so insane to say that he will (eventually) have a similar impact on the Penguins as Letang. Just in different ways. Letang and Despres are difficult to compare because, as Goldblum said... their upside and roles are a little different. Letang is and was always an obvious and dynamic talent, offensively. And he was able to quickly adapt to the defensive game in the NHL as well... and even add some nasty to his game.

Despres is massive and skates like a demon. He lacks the offensive flair that has always come naturally to Letang but I don't know that his potential ceiling in that department is really all that much lower than Letang's (actually realizing it is another story, of course). He's made a lot of strides in that area the last couple of years. He'll almost certainly never put the numbers up that Letang will... but I don't think it's crazy talk to say that he could well find himself as a top paring defensman on this team in a few years if his developmental arc is even close to as dramatic as Letang's was/is.

Despres seems like kind of a wildcard, I guess. I really believe he has all the tools to be an absolute terror of a two-way defenseman who can play on just about any team's top paring. But many of the elements to his game are still extremely raw. That's another thing I agree with Goldblum on... a year in the AHL would almost certainly be of tremendous benefit to him.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
wej20

For Despres to have close to the same impact as Letang he'd have to develop into a legit shutdown defender.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

We are the new Nashville, evidently (only with a few all-star forwards added into the mix). Go Shero, go.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
We are the new Nashville, evidently (only with a few all-star forwards added into the mix). Go Shero, go.
And with the ability to spend to the cap. Let's not forget that.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Jaded-Fan

I would love to see Despres kept in the minors for one and a half more years. He is 19 currently, players become UFA's at 27 no matter how long in the league, so to get the max number of years before UFA status, 2013 would be the ideal callup time. To boot our other top four defensemen will be closer to the end of their contracts by then. I suspect that is the Pens' plan as well.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote