HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bucs, Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Its St. Pete stopping things.
So it's basically a "If we can't have them, no one can" thing? That's pretty ridiculous and selfish.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
So it's basically a "If we can't have them, no one can" thing? That's pretty ridiculous and selfish.
Pretty much..... At least the St. Pete City Council wanted to discuss it but Foster killed it. Best comment I've heard about Foster's "secret plan" was "I wonder if it's the same plan the mayor of Montreal had?"

I'm personally not a big baseball fan anymore since the strike and now with Bud "the slug" Selig and Hank Steinbrenner, it makes it even worse. I understand what Foster's responsibility is to the taxpayers, but sometimes you have to look at what benefits the whole area and demographics show it won't work in downtown St. Pete. Losing the team is a black mark on the area and still results in an empty Trop. Maybe they should've listened when they were told NOT to build it in the first place.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
snowden
Man is matter

What is the incentive for St Pete to allow them to move elsewhere? I know it's selfish on their part but the team staying (even for only a couple more years if they relocate or contract) means money for the city and local businesses. Besides just being nice and taking one for the area, I don't really see any reason they would.

Old
10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
What is the incentive for St Pete to allow them to move elsewhere? I know it's selfish on their part but the team staying (even for only a couple more years if they relocate or contract) means money for the city and local businesses. Besides just being nice and taking one for the area, I don't really see any reason they would.
The stadium, between part and full timers, can employ up to 2000 people, depressing the economy more by allowing the team to just leave the state rather than move across the bridge hurts. It brings travel revenue to the state, not just to the city. A new stadium could also mean the trop being removed and that land along with the road heading east to the water would allow them to develop that more into the baywalk plans, rather than the situation now.

Last part is, *****ing about attendance aside, we have a great owner and even better front office. Do we really want to see them bail and have us slide back into mediocrity?

Old
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
I'd love to go back to pre 1998 and have a single A team with an owner no one has ever heard of because he doesn't whine to the Times.

Please move the Rays and let the free entertainment dollars go to an ownership that deserves them in Vinik.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
I'd love to go back to pre 1998 and have a single A team with an owner no one has ever heard of because he doesn't whine to the Times.

Please move the Rays and let the free entertainment dollars go to an ownership that deserves them in Vinik.
Don't worry, the Rays don't have to move for that to happen. We're pushing 11.5k STH's and will be looking at a LOT of sellouts this year. People are excited about this team again.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Hockeyfan02

Vinik really hasn't done much different than Sternberg. Both brought in very good GMs, very good coaches, and spent money to try to improve the arenas. The difference is Vinik has the location and a nicer arena. Sternberg has a dump in the middle of nowhere.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
The stadium, between part and full timers, can employ up to 2000 people, depressing the economy more by allowing the team to just leave the state rather than move across the bridge hurts. It brings travel revenue to the state, not just to the city. A new stadium could also mean the trop being removed and that land along with the road heading east to the water would allow them to develop that more into the baywalk plans, rather than the situation now.

Last part is, *****ing about attendance aside, we have a great owner and even better front office. Do we really want to see them bail and have us slide back into mediocrity?
So basically they have no incentive to help the team move. I'm pretty sure St Pete cares about St Pete first and not the broader impact on the Tampa Bay area or Florida, selfish as that may be. I'm all for a stadium somewhere in/near Tampa but I don't see Foster and St Pete really helping to get things done. Even demolishing the Trop and redeveloping that area won't be as lucrative. Baywalk didn't work for a reason so I can't see that as a potential selling point.

Anyway, from what I've been hearing/reading, contraction is not an option and moving the team out of state is not a reality in the foreseeable future. So we'll be hearing about this way too much for the next few years.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
TBLHoser

Sadly, like all politicians (especially nationally), the City of St. Pete just doesn't get it and never will. Their prime objective has always been to try to revitalize downtown and they keep throwing money at what's turning out to be major busts. First it was a stadium without a team, then Baywalk, and now they're going to blow millions on a pier that's mostly vacant. The place is a cemetery on weekends other than a small stretch of shops and artsy restaurants because of the museum. You'd think that with all the bayfront condos down there, it would be busy, but they're all retirees or the wealthy that are usually from out of state and could care less about the Rays. Can't really say though that Tampa is not without it's faults with Channelside and even Ybor going south, but it's at least more centrally located and has more potential.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Hearing about the Rays stadium woes is getting as tired as hearing about college realignment.
Ouoted for the truth.

Old
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Vinik really hasn't done much different than Sternberg. Both brought in very good GMs, very good coaches, and spent money to try to improve the arenas. The difference is Vinik has the location and a nicer arena. Sternberg has a dump in the middle of nowhere.
Agree with this.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Contact with players during lockout cost the Bucs $250,000.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...ct-source-says

Old
10-09-2011, 01:09 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

and yet Sean Payton can play football on the beach with Tony Romo just fine.

Unreal.

Old
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
TBLHoser

Bucs prediction...6-10 if we're lucky....

Old
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

This was a giveaway game.

Short week on the west coast after MNF?

No way we'd win this.

Old
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
This was a giveaway game.

Short week on the west coast after MNF?

No way we'd win this.
Your defense was non-existent. Gore had tons of running room on virtually every touch and the WRs seemed to have the inside step on most passes. Mistakes on offense happen, but when you had no D to make up for it, that was a recipe for disaster.

Saints are in town next week, though, so a win there heals all of today's wounds. Gotta think NFC South.

Old
10-09-2011, 06:13 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Your defense was non-existent. Gore had tons of running room on virtually every touch and the WRs seemed to have the inside step on most passes. Mistakes on offense happen, but when you had no D to make up for it, that was a recipe for disaster.

Saints are in town next week, though, so a win there heals all of today's wounds. Gotta think NFC South.
Our defense has been nonexistent all year. I keep hearing people talk about how we're "so loaded with great young talent!" yet everyone has run or thrown all over us (Curtis ****ing Painter? Seriously?) so this is more of a "oh hey reality, didn't see you there" moment.

We were fairly lucky to pull off ten wins last year and we'll be very, very lucky if we can do it this year, too.

Old
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Our defense has been nonexistent all year. I keep hearing people talk about how we're "so loaded with great young talent!" yet everyone has run or thrown all over us (Curtis ****ing Painter? Seriously?) so this is more of a "oh hey reality, didn't see you there" moment.

We were fairly lucky to pull off ten wins last year and we'll be very, very lucky if we can do it this year, too.
Lots of season left though. Gotta be positive. I appreciate the fact you are realistic and not just blindly looking at the 10 wins from a year ago, but you also gotta keep the faith. You never know what can happen once you do what it takes to get into the playoffs...

Old
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Luckily it seems like this division is gonna be weaker, and closer even. There won't be a wild card from the south.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:36 AM
clefty
What?

Not that it excuses the incredibly limp-wristed performance, but playing on the Monday and then a west coast road game five days later is ******** scheduling. A loss was extremely likely, but I still hoped for something a little less, you know, vomit inducing.

Quote:

Surely we have the worst set of linebackers and safeties in the league.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Can someone get some weed and lay a trap so we can find Tanard?

Old
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Luckily it seems like this division is gonna be weaker, and closer even. There won't be a wild card from the south.
Don't be so sure. We can bank on one from the North with both GB and Detroit off to great starts (the statistics favor both making it) and we can pretty much rule out the West because I don't see anyone else besides San Francisco going to the playoffs.

That leaves two divisions, and I'm not all that sold on the NFC East. The East and South will be fighting big time for that second WC spot. Lots of time left, but don't rule anything out.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Not that it excuses the incredibly limp-wristed performance, but playing on the Monday and then a west coast road game five days later is ******** scheduling. A loss was extremely likely, but I still hoped for something a little less, you know, vomit inducing.

Surely we have the worst set of linebackers and safeties in the league.
Very true, but still. This looked like a team that was completely ill prepared.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
TBLHoser

Looks more like the coaching staff prepares a basic offense and defense package for the first half, then waits to see what the other team does and then adjusts at halftime. They didn't look like they had prepared at all.

Don't get why Tanard hasn't applied for reinstatement unless he had some setback between the summer and the opener....that's disappointing....

Old
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
IdealisticSniper

As much as I hate basketball, I just want to thank the billionaires and the millionaires for being greedy ******** and putting hard working people of each team that rely on the season for money, out of work.

And yes I thought the same about the NHL lockout.

Closed Thread