HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bucs, Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
  #501
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Its St. Pete stopping things.
So it's basically a "If we can't have them, no one can" thing? That's pretty ridiculous and selfish.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
  #502
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
So it's basically a "If we can't have them, no one can" thing? That's pretty ridiculous and selfish.
Pretty much..... At least the St. Pete City Council wanted to discuss it but Foster killed it. Best comment I've heard about Foster's "secret plan" was "I wonder if it's the same plan the mayor of Montreal had?"

I'm personally not a big baseball fan anymore since the strike and now with Bud "the slug" Selig and Hank Steinbrenner, it makes it even worse. I understand what Foster's responsibility is to the taxpayers, but sometimes you have to look at what benefits the whole area and demographics show it won't work in downtown St. Pete. Losing the team is a black mark on the area and still results in an empty Trop. Maybe they should've listened when they were told NOT to build it in the first place.

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
  #503
snowden
Man is matter
 
snowden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
What is the incentive for St Pete to allow them to move elsewhere? I know it's selfish on their part but the team staying (even for only a couple more years if they relocate or contract) means money for the city and local businesses. Besides just being nice and taking one for the area, I don't really see any reason they would.

snowden is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
  #504
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
What is the incentive for St Pete to allow them to move elsewhere? I know it's selfish on their part but the team staying (even for only a couple more years if they relocate or contract) means money for the city and local businesses. Besides just being nice and taking one for the area, I don't really see any reason they would.
The stadium, between part and full timers, can employ up to 2000 people, depressing the economy more by allowing the team to just leave the state rather than move across the bridge hurts. It brings travel revenue to the state, not just to the city. A new stadium could also mean the trop being removed and that land along with the road heading east to the water would allow them to develop that more into the baywalk plans, rather than the situation now.

Last part is, *****ing about attendance aside, we have a great owner and even better front office. Do we really want to see them bail and have us slide back into mediocrity?

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
  #505
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,682
vCash: 286
I'd love to go back to pre 1998 and have a single A team with an owner no one has ever heard of because he doesn't whine to the Times.

Please move the Rays and let the free entertainment dollars go to an ownership that deserves them in Vinik.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
  #506
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
I'd love to go back to pre 1998 and have a single A team with an owner no one has ever heard of because he doesn't whine to the Times.

Please move the Rays and let the free entertainment dollars go to an ownership that deserves them in Vinik.
Don't worry, the Rays don't have to move for that to happen. We're pushing 11.5k STH's and will be looking at a LOT of sellouts this year. People are excited about this team again.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
  #507
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,807
vCash: 500
Vinik really hasn't done much different than Sternberg. Both brought in very good GMs, very good coaches, and spent money to try to improve the arenas. The difference is Vinik has the location and a nicer arena. Sternberg has a dump in the middle of nowhere.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
  #508
snowden
Man is matter
 
snowden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
The stadium, between part and full timers, can employ up to 2000 people, depressing the economy more by allowing the team to just leave the state rather than move across the bridge hurts. It brings travel revenue to the state, not just to the city. A new stadium could also mean the trop being removed and that land along with the road heading east to the water would allow them to develop that more into the baywalk plans, rather than the situation now.

Last part is, *****ing about attendance aside, we have a great owner and even better front office. Do we really want to see them bail and have us slide back into mediocrity?
So basically they have no incentive to help the team move. I'm pretty sure St Pete cares about St Pete first and not the broader impact on the Tampa Bay area or Florida, selfish as that may be. I'm all for a stadium somewhere in/near Tampa but I don't see Foster and St Pete really helping to get things done. Even demolishing the Trop and redeveloping that area won't be as lucrative. Baywalk didn't work for a reason so I can't see that as a potential selling point.

Anyway, from what I've been hearing/reading, contraction is not an option and moving the team out of state is not a reality in the foreseeable future. So we'll be hearing about this way too much for the next few years.

snowden is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
  #509
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Sadly, like all politicians (especially nationally), the City of St. Pete just doesn't get it and never will. Their prime objective has always been to try to revitalize downtown and they keep throwing money at what's turning out to be major busts. First it was a stadium without a team, then Baywalk, and now they're going to blow millions on a pier that's mostly vacant. The place is a cemetery on weekends other than a small stretch of shops and artsy restaurants because of the museum. You'd think that with all the bayfront condos down there, it would be busy, but they're all retirees or the wealthy that are usually from out of state and could care less about the Rays. Can't really say though that Tampa is not without it's faults with Channelside and even Ybor going south, but it's at least more centrally located and has more potential.

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
  #510
AllAbout813
Registered User
 
AllAbout813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Hearing about the Rays stadium woes is getting as tired as hearing about college realignment.
Ouoted for the truth.

AllAbout813 is offline  
Old
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
  #511
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Vinik really hasn't done much different than Sternberg. Both brought in very good GMs, very good coaches, and spent money to try to improve the arenas. The difference is Vinik has the location and a nicer arena. Sternberg has a dump in the middle of nowhere.
Agree with this.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
  #512
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Contact with players during lockout cost the Bucs $250,000.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...ct-source-says

Moo is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 01:09 PM
  #513
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
and yet Sean Payton can play football on the beach with Tony Romo just fine.

Unreal.

CommunistDayKare is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
  #514
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Bucs prediction...6-10 if we're lucky....

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
  #515
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
This was a giveaway game.

Short week on the west coast after MNF?

No way we'd win this.

CommunistDayKare is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
  #516
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
This was a giveaway game.

Short week on the west coast after MNF?

No way we'd win this.
Your defense was non-existent. Gore had tons of running room on virtually every touch and the WRs seemed to have the inside step on most passes. Mistakes on offense happen, but when you had no D to make up for it, that was a recipe for disaster.

Saints are in town next week, though, so a win there heals all of today's wounds. Gotta think NFC South.

Moo is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 06:13 PM
  #517
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Your defense was non-existent. Gore had tons of running room on virtually every touch and the WRs seemed to have the inside step on most passes. Mistakes on offense happen, but when you had no D to make up for it, that was a recipe for disaster.

Saints are in town next week, though, so a win there heals all of today's wounds. Gotta think NFC South.
Our defense has been nonexistent all year. I keep hearing people talk about how we're "so loaded with great young talent!" yet everyone has run or thrown all over us (Curtis ****ing Painter? Seriously?) so this is more of a "oh hey reality, didn't see you there" moment.

We were fairly lucky to pull off ten wins last year and we'll be very, very lucky if we can do it this year, too.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
  #518
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Our defense has been nonexistent all year. I keep hearing people talk about how we're "so loaded with great young talent!" yet everyone has run or thrown all over us (Curtis ****ing Painter? Seriously?) so this is more of a "oh hey reality, didn't see you there" moment.

We were fairly lucky to pull off ten wins last year and we'll be very, very lucky if we can do it this year, too.
Lots of season left though. Gotta be positive. I appreciate the fact you are realistic and not just blindly looking at the 10 wins from a year ago, but you also gotta keep the faith. You never know what can happen once you do what it takes to get into the playoffs...

Moo is offline  
Old
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  #519
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Luckily it seems like this division is gonna be weaker, and closer even. There won't be a wild card from the south.

CommunistDayKare is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 04:36 AM
  #520
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,153
vCash: 500
Not that it excuses the incredibly limp-wristed performance, but playing on the Monday and then a west coast road game five days later is ******** scheduling. A loss was extremely likely, but I still hoped for something a little less, you know, vomit inducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Our defense has been nonexistent all year. I keep hearing people talk about how we're "so loaded with great young talent!" yet everyone has run or thrown all over us (Curtis ****ing Painter? Seriously?) so this is more of a "oh hey reality, didn't see you there" moment.

We were fairly lucky to pull off ten wins last year and we'll be very, very lucky if we can do it this year, too.
Surely we have the worst set of linebackers and safeties in the league.

clefty is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
  #521
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Can someone get some weed and lay a trap so we can find Tanard?

CommunistDayKare is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
  #522
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Luckily it seems like this division is gonna be weaker, and closer even. There won't be a wild card from the south.
Don't be so sure. We can bank on one from the North with both GB and Detroit off to great starts (the statistics favor both making it) and we can pretty much rule out the West because I don't see anyone else besides San Francisco going to the playoffs.

That leaves two divisions, and I'm not all that sold on the NFC East. The East and South will be fighting big time for that second WC spot. Lots of time left, but don't rule anything out.

Moo is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
  #523
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Not that it excuses the incredibly limp-wristed performance, but playing on the Monday and then a west coast road game five days later is ******** scheduling. A loss was extremely likely, but I still hoped for something a little less, you know, vomit inducing.


Surely we have the worst set of linebackers and safeties in the league.
Very true, but still. This looked like a team that was completely ill prepared.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
  #524
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Looks more like the coaching staff prepares a basic offense and defense package for the first half, then waits to see what the other team does and then adjusts at halftime. They didn't look like they had prepared at all.

Don't get why Tanard hasn't applied for reinstatement unless he had some setback between the summer and the opener....that's disappointing....

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
  #525
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
As much as I hate basketball, I just want to thank the billionaires and the millionaires for being greedy ******** and putting hard working people of each team that rely on the season for money, out of work.

And yes I thought the same about the NHL lockout.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.