HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bucs, Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Hockeyfan02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Shields took the tough loss today. Sucks he had the run-scoring error, but really, 1-0 loss to CC? Can't fault him, that's for sure!

How do you guys see the Rays at the break? Better off than you thought?
I don't think they'll make the playoffs unless the Yankees struggle..possible with their older roster having some injuries and their rotation being a question mark outside of Sabathia. Odds are like 15-20% that they catch them. I don't think they'll catch Boston, Sox been red hot since they struggled out of the gate. They're better than I expected them to be. I thought the rotation would be solid and offense would struggle, but the bullpen has been the big surprise. This upcoming homestand is the season, they need a good showing if they want to stay in the hunt.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

So with progress being made on the CBA front, and a new cap floor imposed, are we going to be, like, the Florida Panthers of the NFL?

While sure, the first thing we'll likely seek to complete are deals with Joseph and Cadillac (I wouldn't rule out Ruud either) we'll still have to do something, even after signing our draft class. We only spent something like $60 million last season.

It'll be great having an interesting NFL free agency period for once.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
I think Joseph will 100% be re-signed, especially if we have to spend a ton of money which looks very likely. Ruud I'm not sure about and I'd like to explore other options, same with Caddy.

07-15-2011, 12:00 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

I agree on both players. But everyone on the Bucs seems to love Cadillac for some reason, and I get a feeling about Ruud.

I was starting to lean towards Cadillac being outright released last season, and I posted as such either in this thread or an older one. When Blount started getting the majority of the touches he got a little better, but still is pretty much done in terms of being an effective ball carrier. He's a good option as a receiver out of the backfield, but if thats all we want we could as you say, find a better option in someone like Darren Sproles who can also double as a handy speed back to compliment Blount.

Ruud is...man, I don't know. Sometimes I think he looks great, other times he looks like he's just not good at anything - clueless in coverage, slipping off tackles and getting man-handled by blockers. Last season he was mostly the latter. The Mike linebacker is a seriously important facet to our defense, and I would like to have a lot more confidence in that position that I have in Ruud.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:21 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm with you Clefty. Like Ruud but when he went to the mid it just kind of went downhill. He can't move his way through traffic to get to a ball carrier, although I think it gets amplified a bit as our line couldn't stop a ******* thing.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Josh Freeman has 3 years left on his contract, I'd rather give him an extension than overpay the Sean Bergenheim's and Tomas Kopecky's of the NFL.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Hockeyfan02

Big hit by Zobrist, was afraid they weren't going to get anything out of that.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I think the Rays would be wise to not be buyers this TDD and sell off and restock for next season (like getting rid of Upton).

With Longo's slump, it limits to what your team can do overall imo in the post season.

Any idea why you guys won't bring up Jennings? The dude has the tools to be a fine lead off hitter and a pain in the butt along base paths.

Oh and different sport, but with McCoy moving to UT, him and Bowers are going to be a terror next season for opposition QBs.

As a Saints fan, I think it'll be us and you guys competing for the NFC South title. The Falcons won't be better than 9-7.

07-16-2011, 12:46 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I'm with you Clefty. Like Ruud but when he went to the mid it just kind of went downhill. He can't move his way through traffic to get to a ball carrier, although I think it gets amplified a bit as our line couldn't stop a ******* thing.
we already have a better mike in mason foster.

i'm fine with letting ruud walk.

Old
07-16-2011, 12:47 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
So with progress being made on the CBA front, and a new cap floor imposed, are we going to be, like, the Florida Panthers of the NFL?

While sure, the first thing we'll likely seek to complete are deals with Joseph and Cadillac (I wouldn't rule out Ruud either) we'll still have to do something, even after signing our draft class. We only spent something like $60 million last season.

It'll be great having an interesting NFL free agency period for once.
Two words: Nnamdi Asomugha

Old
07-16-2011, 01:28 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Two words: Nnamdi Asomugha
He's going to have 20 different phone messages minutes into free agency. He can choose a destination at his own leisure, name his price, and they'll give it to him. Or more likely, pick a bunch of teams and play them off one another. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:14 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
He's going to have 20 different phone messages minutes into free agency. He can choose a destination at his own leisure, name his price, and they'll give it to him. Or more likely, pick a bunch of teams and play them off one another. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't think any other team has the type of cap room we will have though. We have to spend money somewhere and there isn't exactly a lot out there in terms of high priced free agents.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
TBLHoser

Staying in the football mode but slightly different direction....Here's hoping Mr. Vinik overhauls the Storm for next year. I know getting players to play for that small amount of money is difficult but apparently other teams can do it. Hope Grothe shows he can play in this league because they desperately need a QB and I'm not so sure whether this is the right guy as a head coach...

Old
07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Should have kept Tim Marcum. Should have let it blow over, nobody would care about it in a month.

Old
07-16-2011, 11:08 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textbook Thompson View Post
Should have kept Tim Marcum. Should have let it blow over, nobody would care about it in a month.
I would have to agree.....Not that I defend his actions but it probably would've blown over.

Old
07-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I don't follow the Storm much, if it all really but I thought they had a decent QB? Dietz.. Bietz or something?

Old
07-17-2011, 11:23 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
I don't follow the Storm much, if it all really but I thought they had a decent QB? Dietz.. Bietz or something?
Used to be...now it's Zbyniewski or something like that....then they replaced him with some other no name. Now they signed Matt Grothe from USF who played well last night. I'm not a big arena fan myself but keep up with the standings which we pretty much suck big time. Then you have Chris Farley at coach who I guess was a cheap replacement.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
I don't think any other team has the type of cap room we will have though. We have to spend money somewhere and there isn't exactly a lot out there in terms of high priced free agents.
That's only half the story.

If he wants to play for one city or one team over this one, that's it, they'd make room for him. And he's going to have a looooong list to choose from. We wouldn't be the only ones who need to spend to hit the floor, either.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:22 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Used to be...now it's Zbyniewski or something like that....then they replaced him with some other no name. Now they signed Matt Grothe from USF who played well last night. I'm not a big arena fan myself but keep up with the standings which we pretty much suck big time. Then you have Chris Farley at coach who I guess was a cheap replacement.
Uh, Ewart has been an assistant for a while and is far from the issue. They put together a team with the offers they had in only a few weeks and had a mass exodus of guys to the UFL recently which really killed any shot they had at the playoffs. Lot more than just "lols they bad".

Old
07-18-2011, 12:40 AM
IdealisticSniper

Anybody else watching this marathon Rays game?

Old
07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

No matter what happens the rest of the game, S-Rod needs to take Cobb out to dinner, two horrible defensive plays back to back cost Cobb a scoreless inning.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So eight games back after the loss tonight. At what point does Tampa Bay put up the white flag and sell at the trading deadline?

Old
07-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

I think the Rays will be a mix of buyers and sellers. They might trade Upton and/or prospects for major leaguers but not ones who are not under team control next year.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I also read the column on TBO today. The Trop is national attention again after incidents on ESPN in consecutive days to start this week.

Just build the new damn stadium in Tampa already and move the team there. The St. Pete mayor can get off his high horse and realize his selfishness will cost the area its baseball team, which does more damage than his city losing the team.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Foster has absolutely no incentive to help the Rays move. He's doing what he is supposed to for his city. Until anything happens, people in Tampa, Brandon, and wherever need to just stop complaining about the drive and support the team. Of course a more central stadium would be most beneficial to the team and area but until then people need to come out.

Closed Thread