HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Luke Adam named Dudley Garrett winner (AHL Rookie of the year)

Old
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

vCash: 500
That's awesome. I was saying Adam would be going for the three peat last year, mostly kidding.

Lets make it a grand slam with Kassian.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
The crazy thing is that Kassian, if he plays 60+ games in Portland, probably has a better preseason likelihood of winning it than either Gerbe, Ennis or Adam did.
With Kassian and McNabb we have a great shot at a 4-peat.

Insane.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Agreed. Probably stating the obvious here, but the Sabres need to do everything in their power to keep him. He's been doing a phenomenal job as Portland's HC..
I'm wondering how they do it though, if they do want to keep him. Maybe offer him a lucrative deal as an assistant head coach and promise him the HC job once Ruff goes (kind of like we are starting to see a lot of in college football). I don't know if he would agree to it or take a sure head coaching job elsewhere. Someone did mention though in another thread that he wanted to stay in Portland. Again not sure what will happen, but the organization absolutely has to try to keep him with us.

Also congrats to Luke!

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Fan-of-#9

Very impressive for us to produce 3 straight AHL Rookies of the Year.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
AHL.com finally posted their official story

http://theahl.com/adam-makes-it-a-ha...rtland-p170561

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Adam completes the rookie of the year hat trick
Published on: 7th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
For the third straight year, a member of the Portland Pirates was named AHL’s top rookie as forward Luke Adam was awarded the Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award for the AHL’s outstanding rookie player.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
UkraineTrain

Draft 2008 is just unbelievable for you guys.
Myers is NHL ROTY, Ennis and Adam are both AHL ROTY.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
I think a ton of credit should go to Kevin Dineen, who has turned out to be an absolute gem of a developmental coach.
True but an equal, if not greater, amount of credit has to go to Regier and the scouting staff on this. Finding prospects that end up becoming stars often relies on luck but obviously, when the team's prospects win the honor three consecutive years, someone is doing their job right.

I've definitely embraced the Bucky idea of Regier being shifted to Director of Scouting and bringing someone else in as the GM. In terms of scouting potential, Regier and his staff obviously has a good eye.

What's scary is that the Pirates could actually do it again next season if Kassian or Foligno live up to their billing.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
True but an equal, if not greater, amount of credit has to go to Regier and the scouting staff on this. Finding prospects that end up becoming stars often relies on luck but obviously, when the team's prospects win the honor three consecutive years, someone is doing their job right.

I've definitely embraced the Bucky idea of Regier being shifted to Director of Scouting and bringing someone else in as the GM. In terms of scouting potential, Regier and his staff obviously has a good eye.

What's scary is that the Pirates could actually do it again next season if Kassian or Foligno live up to their billing.
With McNabb as a dark horse.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:24 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
With McNabb as a dark horse.
The last defenseman to win the award was Ron Ward in...wait for it....1969. I'd say it's more like he's hidden under the dark horse of the dark horse.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Why on Earth would Bucky want Darcy to be Director of Scouting?

Someone please provide me a link before I blow my bleeping head off.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
I'm really like the possibilities of our roster in the next few years.....adam, foligno, mc nabb, kassian.....

Combined with these guys, trades, and FA signings, this team could be good...scary good.....

Makes me think more that maybe we don't need Richards from Dallas....He is getting older....I would take him though if the price was not outrageous and the deal was not a long one

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Nice job Adam ...

can he transfer that to the NHL is the big question.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
schpaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post

Ha, i mentioned this some time back on HF that I see that as a possibility. The Buckster wouldn't be stealing an idea from some where, would he?

schpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post

The better question is why would Regier want to be pushed downwards when he could almost assuredly get a GM job somewhere else in the NHL. There is 0.0001% chance of Regier being this (or any other) team's Director of Scouting next year.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:27 AM
sabrenewf

Way to go lukey !!!!!!!! As a fellow Newfoundlander this means a lot!

sabrenewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Kruschiki

Not to take anything away from the accomplishment, but from a scouting perspective, this award isn't necessarily an indicator of guaranteed NHL talent:

http://ahlhalloffame.com/dudley-red-...-award-p139049

Definitely some solid NHLers on that list, but nothing spectacular, and certainly some misses.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Not to take anything away from the accomplishment, but from a scouting perspective, this award isn't necessarily an indicator of guaranteed NHL talent:

http://ahlhalloffame.com/dudley-red-...-award-p139049

Definitely some solid NHLers on that list, but nothing spectacular, and certainly some misses.
thanks, we covered that 30 posts ago

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:18 AM
SoFFacet

I just have a small question about all this. I don't keep close track of our prospects compared to other team's, but every time I've read an article about it in the last few years, the Sabres aren't even mentioned as having a good prospect pool. Some even say/said we have a rather poor one.

But now we have 3 consecutive AHL RotYs and a Calder trophy winner. That is sick, and its not even considering the other guys that some people are even more excited about (ex. Kassian). So, are/were those reports full of it? Or what?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I just have a small question about all this. I don't keep close track of our prospects compared to other team's, but every time I've read an article about it in the last few years, the Sabres aren't even mentioned as having a good prospect pool. Some even say/said we have a rather poor one.

But now we have 3 consecutive AHL RotYs and a Calder trophy winner. That is sick, and its not even considering the other guys that some people are even more excited about (ex. Kassian). So, are/were those reports full of it? Or what?
Consider Gerbe for a moment.

Here's a guy that never topped a prospect list, and IIRC never got higher than the bottom half of ours here at HFboards.

But there he is, winning AHL RotY, and now playing his ass off in the NHL and a major piece of this team (IMO).

Propect ratings are overrated. There are slam dunks, sure, but it's really hard to quantify guys like Gerbe.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post

Here's a guy that never topped a prospect list, and IIRC never got higher than the bottom half of ours here at HFboards.

But there he is, winning AHL RotY, and now playing his ass off in the NHL and a major piece of this team (IMO).

Propect ratings are overrated. There are slam dunks, sure, but it's really hard to quantify guys like Gerbe.
Maybe our prospect pool looks weak because we keep graduating players to the NHL? :shrug:

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
thanks, we covered that 30 posts ago
Apparently I need more time to kill.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
Maybe our prospect pool looks weak because we keep graduating players to the NHL? :shrug:
Thats part of it due to our lack of organizational depth, particularly at the AHL level.

Next season will likely change that with Foligno, Kassian and McNabb heading to Portland. Along with Adam, Brennan, Scheistal returning. There are others I'm forgetting I'm sure.

We've been trying to refill the entire organization from the NHL down since the talent drain from NHL level in the 2006 and 2007 offseasons. As well as some lean years draft wise.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post

Gerbe was tied-6th in summer 2010, 6th in mid-season 2010, 5th in summer 2009, 4th in mid-season 2009 for the user polls.. He's been in the bottom 10 in the HF Sabres Top 20 before. After that junior year he had at BC (couldn't find 2008 rankings), we were all pretty jazzed over Gerbe.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Ghills23

This is awesome. Hopefully Luke can improve his skating and be a full time NHLer soon enough. I didn't think Luke would get a shot at AHL RotY because of his call-ups earlier in the year. Dineen is doing a bang-up job. Hopefully he sticks around.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote