HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Voracek

Old
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Today's Dogpatch has a headline

Jacket's Voracek told to get in shape

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...e.html?sid=101

From the article:

Is this a public swipe at his rumored love of night life?
The funny part is that he and Commie went to the same trainer two off-seasons ago. Yet, at that time, they were oohing and ahhing about how much muscle Jake put on. Guess it wasn't all muscle?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The funny part is that he and Commie went to the same trainer two off-seasons ago. Yet, at that time, they were oohing and ahhing about how much muscle Jake put on. Guess it wasn't all muscle?
Meh, conditioning and muscle/fat don't have to be that closely related. I don't care if he's a little bit plumpy around the edges if he has no problem skating hard every game. There's too much speculation based on players' supposed sizes, methinks.

It is a good thing he's switched trainers, though, for obvious reasons.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Meh, conditioning and muscle/fat don't have to be that closely related. I don't care if he's a little bit plumpy around the edges if he has no problem skating hard every game. There's too much speculation based on players' supposed sizes, methinks.

It is a good thing he's switched trainers, though, for obvious reasons.
Given his age and his body type when he joined the team, fat would not be a good sign. See Wellwood, Kyle.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Monk

Quote:
Given his age and his body type when he joined the team, fat would not be a good sign. See Wellwood, Kyle.
Agreed, he shouldn't be fat, but I'm not going to speculate that he's fat (due to poor lifestyle choices) because he's not conditioned well. I was just pointing out that the two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
That doesn't explain why you think the Hawks would drop an offer sheet on him. That move would probably be one of their last resorts.
Would Columbus trade him to a division rival? If not, the only way Chicago could get him would be an offer sheet.

The Hawks do have a lot of young D that can't move up to Chicago due to 5 of the 6 spots are locked up.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 670
When Jake comes in out of shape in October, shame on him. But when Jake is out of shape in February & March, shame on the Blue Jackets coaching & training staffs.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Sadly, I think Rocky's trainer passed away. However, Stallone could take him over to Siberia.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
BluejacketNut

The problem with Jake is that he, much like almost all players on the CBJ, are playing in a higher position then they should be. The kid never got to properly develop and here we're talking about him being a 'top line player'. When I think of top line players, I think of Nash, Perry, Sedin, Zetterberg, Datsuk, Kane, Crosby....the list goes on, and none of them are Voracek. You need not look any further to see why we've yet again missed the playoffs. When your top line is Nash/Brassard/Voracek, its no surprise your golfing in mid April instead of playing playoff hockey.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The problem with Jake is that he, much like almost all players on the CBJ, are playing in a higher position then they should be. The kid never got to properly develop and here we're talking about him being a 'top line player'. When I think of top line players, I think of Nash, Perry, Sedin, Zetterberg, Datsuk, Kane, Crosby....the list goes on, and none of them are Voracek. You need not look any further to see why we've yet again missed the playoffs. When your top line is Nash/Brassard/Voracek, its no surprise your golfing in mid April instead of playing playoff hockey.
When the line was clicking, it was definitely a legitimate top line.

The inconsistency is the problem. Jake and Brass need to be more consistent. Hopefully Jake training and being more focused will help this happen. Another year under Brassard's belt won't hurt. Next year should be interesting for both of them.

3074326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Agreed, he shouldn't be fat, but I'm not going to speculate that he's fat (due to poor lifestyle choices) because he's not conditioned well. I was just pointing out that the two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Agree - I don't think I read any where that he was fat or lacking muscle. He may have been lacking in high intensity/short duration stamina. He may have gotten winded and fatigued too easily. He may have been muscular but lacked flexibility and speed. The article was vauge. I interpreted that he was not properly conditioned for Hockey. Spending the off-season in Montreal rather than LA should help.

Has anybody spotted him binging at Five Guys recently? I didn't think so.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
JacketsFanWest

Back when Voracek was drafted, I recall that he had one of the highest body fat percentages in the draft.

The thought process was that if he can excel as well has he did in juniors carrying a few extra pounds of fat and he hadn't started a strength & conditioning program, then what can he do once he starts? But I'm not sure that's exact true.

But also, didn't Voracek go thru the program that Commodore went to in Southern California when Commie blamed his off-season conditioning program for his ruined season?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I've never played hockey - but I do live life.

To be in peak form (which I am not) you need the following:

1. Muscles (sport dependent - anybody see that gymnast from OSU in today's paper - holy crap)
2. Not a large amount of fat (sport dependent)
3. Good nutrition (not excess beer)
4. the right amount of sleep
5. General good health (which is easier if you get #'s 3 & 4)

When we start hearing about "conditioning" I think in reality the powers-that-be lump all of the above into that. What they are telling Voracek (IMO) is "get your head out of your ass and become a professional hockey player."

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
That is exactly what I thought about when I read this morning's paper. That and his reputation for partying. When coupled with the comment that he no longer stays after practice to work on his shot, I get a picture of a demotivated Voracek.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
That is exactly what I thought about when I read this morning's paper. That and his reputation for partying. When coupled with the comment that he no longer stays after practice to work on his shot, I get a picture of a demotivated Voracek.
Much of which comes from being a kid, considering he's all of 21 years old. Rushing kids into the NHL and expecting them to act like middle aged adults (which is required to be a true professional) is a recipe for disaster. Some embrace the professional aspect quicker then others (see Crosby), some are still kids mentally, regardless if theyre making millions and playing in a professional sport.

The kids confidence is shot, not surprising considering his age. If he would have started out in the AHL, it may have changed his mentality knowing he doesnt have the pressure of an NHLer at that age and actually got to enjoy his youth. I hope we dont end up trading him for peanuts, and then he gets placed on a 3rd line somewhere and ends up being a 30 goal scorer because he's finally playing where he belongs and develops properly.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Doug19

Here's my question: Is it really conditioning holding Jake out? I mean maybe conditioning was an issue, but it sure did look like it affected Jake to much. He skated at full speed (it seemed) most of the time in his shifts. I just don't buy that conditioning is a big holding point to Jake, it's not like skated half ass in games. Conditioning might help early in the season but I think his turnovers, over stickhandling, and lack of drive to the net are what will hold him back.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Pata93

Anybody else thinks the firing of Agnew was not a good thing for Jake?

The article says he was working his shot last year with him. Now that he is gone, he lost his ''mentor''. For a 21 years old kid, who now lives far from his friends and parents, that is something to consider.

They are pros but they are humains first. Me think Jake was greatly destabilized by losing Agnew and even Noel. Mental strenght is so important in sports, see how Tiger Woods can't win anything now... I'm not saying Jake has the same kind of potential, but I think it absolutely has something to do with his less than stellar performance.

Jake perhaps needs personnal help and that's why I wanted so bad Howson to hire Boucher.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
Would Columbus trade him to a division rival? If not, the only way Chicago could get him would be an offer sheet.
Let me put it to you this way. Chicago is not going to offer sheet Jake and pay the picks.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood1 View Post
I think that Jake, Filatov will most likely be gone. I think that we could get a 2nd for jake and prob a 3rd for Filatov. Idk why I think this, I just have a feeling
Trading Jake for a 2nd would be....

I honestly can't put into words how dumb it would be.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Let me put it to you this way. Chicago is not going to offer sheet Jake and pay the picks.
What do you think Columbus is going to give him for his next contract?

Is he worth more than $3 mil a year? (2nd round pick)

Old
04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
blahblah

Quote:
What do you think Columbus is going to give him for his next contract?

Is he worth more than $3 mil a year? (2nd round pick)
Let's say Chicago bothers, they are going to offer a contract that Columbus isn't willing to match. So take true value and throw it out the window. Someone is going to overpay at that point.

Chicago isn't.

We can get more then a second round pick just trading his rights, no reason not to match a 3 million contract.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Hawkscap

What would you call fair value for him contract wise from Columbus' point of view?

Old
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
blahblah

2.75-3.25 from me personally.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
What would you call fair value for him contract wise from Columbus' point of view?
IMo, short and low contract. Similar as Price made it.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
When Jake comes in out of shape in October, shame on him. But when Jake is out of shape in February & March, shame on the Blue Jackets coaching & training staffs.
I think I have to agree with this.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

All this about Jake is frustrating seeing as we just got ol' Tubby Nasher off the Twinkies.

Jake IS the fat man!

(The fact that William Conrad also played Cannon is purely coincidental.

Or is it?)

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote