HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kessel at centre?

Old
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
KlattNazty

vCash: 500
Kessel at centre?

It is not the ideal position for him, but what happens this summer if we cannot acquire a bonafide 1C, but a deal for a big winger is available? I would not balk at the idea of Kessel moving back to centre and having the winger takes his place. We still keep the chemistry with Lupul, and since Lupul's arrival, I think we have seen Kessel's playmaking ability a bit more evident.

I would not be shocked if this happened, and it might be a good way to motivate to work harder in his own end of the ice.

Discuss!

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

soooo

XXXX - Kessel - Lupul
Kulemin - Grabo - MacA ??

What wingers do you have in mind?

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

No, no, no, no. Hell no. Not defensibly reliable enough, too much of a one dimensional player (as far as great offense, shaky defense) The wing is the ideal place for him, and its his best fit. Bozak would be better suited playing 1st line centre of Kessel. Dead serious.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
KlattNazty

THN mentioned that Voracek may be available. He is young with upside and size. Plays 2 ways. Also from CBJ, is RJ umberger.

I havent thought alot about it, but just saying it could be possible.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
It is not the ideal position for him, but what happens this summer if we cannot acquire a bonafide 1C, but a deal for a big winger is available? I would not balk at the idea of Kessel moving back to centre and having the winger takes his place. We still keep the chemistry with Lupul, and since Lupul's arrival, I think we have seen Kessel's playmaking ability a bit more evident.

I would not be shocked if this happened, and it might be a good way to motivate to work harder in his own end of the ice.

Discuss!
No. Look at our record in the last 3 months with a real goalie.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
No. Look at our record in the last 3 months with a real goalie.
What does a goalie have to do with a no1 centre.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
No, no, no, no. Hell no. Not defensibly reliable enough, too much of a one dimensional player (as far as great offense, shaky defense) The wing is the ideal place for him, and its his best fit. Bozak would be better suited playing 1st line centre of Kessel. Dead serious.
hahahaha, I came to this thread to post "NO, NO, NO, and NO"

you beat me to it!

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Superstar

Quote:
What does a goalie have to do with a no1 centre.
Where was Kessel playing in the last 3 months with Reimer on our team, and how did we fare? Whether we get a #1 centre or not, Kessel is best on RW.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Where was Kessel playing in the last 3 months with Reimer on our team, and how did we fare? Whether we get a #1 centre or not, Kessel is best on RW.
Fair enough, but to speculate that his play and reimers play will carry the team through a year seems a bit much. Im not saying its ideal, but an upgrade is an upgrade in my opinion.

I would be more comfortable with a Lupul - Kessel - Voracek line (for example), than a Lupul - Bozak - Kessel line.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
bobbyflex

actually Kessel was tried at center for a couple of games this season. Thought he looked decent enough. I wouldn't be against it.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Fair enough, but to speculate that his play and reimers play will carry the team through a year seems a bit much. Im not saying its ideal, but an upgrade is an upgrade in my opinion.

I would be more comfortable with a Lupul - Kessel - Voracek line (for example), than a Lupul - Bozak - Kessel line.
The biggest difference to Kessel's play of late is adding Lupul -- I think Kessel is at around a PPG pace since we acquired Lupul. I doubt putting Kessel at centre will do him any good, and if not, it could be detrimental.

So you don't believe Kessel's and Reimer's stellar play could continue for a year, but putting Kessel at centre will remedy that?

Old
04-07-2011, 04:11 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
The biggest difference to Kessel's play of late is adding Lupul -- I think Kessel is at around a PPG pace since we acquired Lupul. I doubt putting Kessel at centre will do him any good, and if not, it could be detrimental.

So you don't believe Kessel's and Reimer's stellar play could continue for a year, but putting Kessel at centre will remedy that?

Not what I said. I pointed out that a line of Lupul - Kessel - Voracek, would be more productive than a Lupul - Bozak - Kessel line. Thats what my point was and still is.

Its not ideal, but an upgrade in the entire make up of that line, in my opinion, would give it a better chance of success over a longer period.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Not what I said. I pointed out that a line of Lupul - Kessel - Voracek, would be more productive than a Lupul - Bozak - Kessel line. Thats what my point was and still is.

Its not ideal, but an upgrade in the entire make up of that line, in my opinion, would give it a better chance of success over a longer period.
There's no evidence of that. And early on, Wilson did try to experiment with Kessel at centre and that didn't work out. Kessel is not a natural centreman: his style of play and his speed is suited for the wing.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I did not like seeing Kessel at center earlier in the season.

His game is much better suited to the wing, and I don't think we should try to move him to a different position just because we don't have a better option there.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
No, no, no, no. Hell no. Not defensibly reliable enough, too much of a one dimensional player (as far as great offense, shaky defense) The wing is the ideal place for him, and its his best fit. Kadri would be better suited playing 1st line centre of Kessel. Dead serious.
What he said but with more emphasis!

Willie Oree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

He has shown his playmaking ability this season but he can still be a winger and a good playmaker.

As others have said, he's too bad defensively to consider him as a center.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140

Btw, Burke said he is going for first line center in summer...can we take his word for the moment? If things don't work out, we'll return to this thread; until then, the above video.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonster View Post
soooo

XXXX - Kessel - Lupul
Kulemin - Grabo - MacA ??

What wingers do you have in mind?
I posted this a few weeks ago in a different thread perhaps Kadri on the Left side could work and slide Bozak down to center the 3rd line, maybe they could try it on Saturday.

Kadri/Kessel/Lupul
Kulemin/Grabovski/MacArthur
XXXX/Bozak/Armstrong

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

The only way I could see this working is if we get Laich to be on LW to cover his defensive inability. But why even try Kessel @ Center if we can just put Laich in between the other two.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

it would only work if kessel was actually good regarding defense and it has improved but it still isnt good or decent for the role of a center

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
niroopg*

Quote:

Discuss!

It won't happen.

I'd rather have Bozak play 1C than have Kessel play it.

Kessel has minimal defensive skills. Even if he backchecks extremely hard, he is not hard enough on his stick to get anything productive done.

Centers have to skate pretty much 200 ft every rush. Kessel isn't athletically gifted. Yes, he has speed. But he is too small, doesn't have great cardiovascular ability. The more you make him work to be defensively responsible, the less you will get out of him offensively. The more you make him skate, the less speed he will have on the offensive rush. He isn't Kulemin.

Key characteristics of a center: Defensively responsible. Strong on puck. Can maintain possession. Athletically above average.

Kessel has none of those skills. By putting him in center, you will take his energy, take his speed, run him down, take away his offensive abilities.

niroopg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:

Discuss!

Kessel at centre is fine. If a chance at a top winger such as Parise arises, you go for it and put Loops back at RW where he's naturally comfortable. We'll be able to organically produce top 2 centres over the next few years. I'd rather take the best forward available for the best price than take a lesser player to fill a temporary hole.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
niroopg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Kessel at centre is fine. If a chance at a top winger such as Parise arises, you go for it and put Loops back at RW where he's naturally comfortable. We'll be able to organically produce top 2 centres over the next few years. I'd rather take the best forward available for the best price than take a lesser player to fill a temporary hole.
No. You are going to produce 4th line centers that way. By your theory, we could put Kessel into the goal and "organically produce top" a top goalie.

niroopg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post

Organically grown artichoke centres:

http://www.1stoporganicgardening.com...own-artichoke/

Old
04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
I'd rather Kulemin slide into center, with kessel on his wing.

Put Army with Grabo

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote