HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we ever do anything but stand still and pass the puck on the PP?

Old
04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Will we ever do anything but stand still and pass the puck on the PP?

I love our team, but man it's frustrating...

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Nitrous Mafia

At the end of that 5 on 3 I counted 8 passes before the turnover.

It's mind boggling sometimes.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
wadesworld

Amazingly enough, the cycle can work with 5-on-4 just as well as it does with 5-on-5. Not sure what makes moving the feet so unattractive.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Firestorm

We probably score more PP goals off the rush than anything else.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:52 PM
cleangene

I really now believe that the next PRED to score a PPG will be, PEKKA RINNE.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

guess i missed mike fisher potting one tonight

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:32 AM
WestEndPred

I would like to see us get more shots on goal as well. Sometimes we are just too patient.

Last edited by WestEndPred: 04-06-2011 at 08:52 PM.
WestEndPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:51 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Just need to tell them to shoot when they get a good shot and not wait for a great shot because sometimes the great shot never comes and you have a guy that should be open to get in position for a rebound.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
guess i missed mike fisher potting one tonight
This post deserves a Yes we scored a power play goal... but more often than not our power play is about as useful as **** on a bull.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:07 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
This post deserves a Yes we scored a power play goal... but more often than not our power play is about as useful as **** on a bull.
the PP has been where we all would like for it to be in that 17-19 percent zone since the allstar break. It is common round these parts to sensationalize shortcomings of the team and players. Right now the PP is still the whipping boy with klein, franson, and legwand. Case in point, fisher struggled when he was hurt. was consdered a mistake even. Got a little healthy, developed a little chemistry with two guys who speaks limited english and boom. has a little success and people stop it. By HF standards, we should probably start trashing Lindback since he only has one win in the last month. No logic or though behind it, but is true.

Old
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
jlsg

1st PP happens with the score already 4-0. I can just about guantee that the message to the boys was take it if it presents itself, but don't force anything. Things have to be taken in context, close game would have brought out a different strategy. I seem to remember 2 PP goals Sat.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
roseyc

With any power play when a team does score they try to do the same thing again again again. But see the other team know this as well. So you have vary off what you just did. Because in sports you constantly have to adjust. Pete refers to the Rob Ramage play of shooting the puck off the boards behind the net instead of of the goalie which he used to do. I think Weber should try more of this because for every goal he scores off the pp he misses the net more times than hits the goalie. Bringing the puck into the zone always has been a problem with us.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

we do try different things. last night alone we worked a cycle, worked the cross crease pass (which worked), worked the strong and weak side point shots. I thought we moved the puck around ok last night, and many times the shots just weren't there.

are you (and as in you, anyone can take credit for it) the fans who yell shoot no matter what, and when we do and it goes right into some shin pads are then complaining about the breakaway?

Old
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
wadesworld

My message may have been a little overly dramatic, but it's hard to believe that the coaches could have been happy with a 4-3, followed by a 5-3, followed by a 5-4 that I think netted one SOG.

We did score on a PP and it was a PP where people were moving with the puck. In the aforementioned example, we largely stood still and passed the puck back and forth, waiting for someone to make a mistake.

I'm all for finding good chances, but too often our patience leads to nothing more than a turnover. You can't get a rebound if you don't shoot. (And yes, if you take a poor shot it can lead to a turnover or a clear so I agree, you have to look for at least a decent shot first)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our guys and love our coaching staff. The job we do with FAR less than the big market teams is incredible. I also understand that not every PP is going to result in a goal.

However, can anyone really defend our historical PP success rate? That doesn't mean our coaches are incompetent, but it does make for good discussion on how they could improve things.

Last edited by wadesworld: 04-06-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's kind of funny now that I've been roaming around the whole of HF rather than just this board and the NHL forum occasionally. During the Boston game I was posting in their GDT. They are the EXACT same way about their PP. They literally said they wish they could decline a penalty like in the NFL. Sound familiar?

In the main forum there was a thread started about how awful the Pittsburgh PP is (at the time they were 2 for 50) and fans from all over the league came out of the woodwork to tell everyone how their team actually had the worst PP in the league.

And then there was the recent "Dumb things you've overheard in the stands" thread where it seemed like every other post was another fan of another team talking about people who yell "Shoot!" on the PP without regard to shooting lanes being clogged or the position of the puck carrier's teammates. That sparked a fun little exchange about how crappy their respective teams' powerplays are INCLUDING a couple of Red Wings fans who talked about how Detroit's powerplay spends too much time passing the puck around looking for the perfect play.

Strange huh? It isn't the end of the world. I promise. We're all just being normal hockey fans

btw token is right. Our PP has been pretty average since the ASB. An average PP in Nashville is like an NHL record setting PP in Vancouver

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
jlsg

Quote:
we do try different things. last night alone we worked a cycle, worked the cross crease pass (which worked), worked the strong and weak side point shots. I thought we moved the puck around ok last night, and many times the shots just weren't there.

are you (and as in you, anyone can take credit for it) the fans who yell shoot no matter what, and when we do and it goes right into some shin pads are then complaining about the breakaway?
I tried explaining that to the whiner that sits next to me last night. I think I was able to finally point out that each PP line does something different. I think he may have finally believed me when I started to tell him where players were going to go. Also tried to explain the man-zone defense to him, don't think that stuck. He kept complaining about someone not going after the puck. I kept telling him he can't leave his man, who covers his guy etc.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's kind of funny now that I've been roaming around the whole of HF rather than just this board and the NHL forum occasionally. During the Boston game I was posting in their GDT. They are the EXACT same way about their PP. They literally said they wish they could decline a penalty like in the NFL. Sound familiar?

In the main forum there was a thread started about how awful the Pittsburgh PP is (at the time they were 2 for 50) and fans from all over the league came out of the woodwork to tell everyone how their team actually had the worst PP in the league.

And then there was the recent "Dumb things you've overheard in the stands" thread where it seemed like every other post was another fan of another team talking about people who yell "Shoot!" on the PP without regard to shooting lanes being clogged or the position of the puck carrier's teammates. That sparked a fun little exchange about how crappy their respective teams' powerplays are INCLUDING a couple of Red Wings fans who talked about how Detroit's powerplay spends too much time passing the puck around looking for the perfect play.

Strange huh? It isn't the end of the world. I promise. We're all just being normal hockey fans

btw token is right. Our PP has been pretty average since the ASB. An average PP in Nashville is like an NHL record setting PP in Vancouver
I also enjoy the "Refs/media hate our team!" remarks in other forums. I thought we were special.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
I also enjoy the "Refs/media hate our team!" remarks in other forums. I thought we were special.
if you watch the hossa goal and review. refs hate stl.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Legionnaire11

If Belak and Grimson can complain about the powerplay during the broadcast, then fans are surely allowed to complain about it on message boards

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If Belak and Grimson can complain about the powerplay during the broadcast, then fans are surely allowed to complain about it on message boards
from an nhl level, i don't think two guys who only played the pp in garbage time should complain about the powerplay.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
roseyc

Quote:
from an nhl level, i don't think two guys who only played the pp in garbage time should complain about the powerplay.
So only Gretzky has the right to tell us how bad our pp is?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
So only Gretzky has the right to tell us how bad our pp is?
Just because token doesn't care about the opinion of two former enforcers doesn't mean it has to be the other extreme (Gretzky) to count Can we please stop being sarcastic and snide just because people don't agree with our opinions?

No one is saying that fans can't complain about the PP. All I've personally tried to say is that all fans complain about their PP unless their team is consistently in the top five or so in the league. Every other team will go through long periods of PP scoring droughts.

Token was saying that bringing in two guys who couldn't score on an empty net because 1) they had no offensive skill whatsoever, and 2) they wouldn't even be good enough to be out there in that situation is irrelevant. They aren't offensive dynamos. They have between the the same offensive creativity as Smithson, so I'm not exactly quick to seek their opinion of the PP. Especially when the PP in question has been solid for over a month.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but we have to look at context here.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Quote:
OK, gotta object to this line of reasoning just a bit.

Goons or not they are still professional hockey players and understand the professional game on a level that even the most hockey savvy among us cant come close to matching.

It is like in my profession, a family doctor cant do the surgery I do but they still are much more qualified to discuss my field by a long shot than any layman even if they are a boy scout, a retired army medic, have watched the Learning Channel and seen every episode of House and ER

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

All you need to know, Nashville's power play is ranked 26th. That sucks. If you don't think our PP needs an overhaul you need glasses or contacts.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I used to think "I don't understand why Nashville can't score on the powerplay", so I've been watching the pp to see how the other teams play us.

Here's what I see. We score off one of two plays. We either score from the blueline shot (it goes clean or a winger bangs in the rebound), or that backdoor pass. That's it. We don't have a sniper that can camp high slot and bury a decent scoring chance. So pk units have an easy time keeping our pp on the outside, we have no one that they have to respect in the high slot area. That's where not having a true goal scorer kills us.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote