HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offcial FC Edmonton 2011 NASL Thread

Old
04-17-2011, 08:28 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 500
I wish the games were played earlier so I could watch a couple of the streams.

on the note of the logo I like the simplicity. Not sure what you could really do with it, most soccer team logos are simple really, either a city crest or something relating to the city's history.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
I wish the games were played earlier so I could watch a couple of the streams.

on the note of the logo I like the simplicity. Not sure what you could really do with it, most soccer team logos are simple really, either a city crest or something relating to the city's history.
I like the Logo as well. Its generic but a more typical football logo. Most of the NASL teams go for a more detailed design that doesn't really work from any distance. Edmonton's is better than Toronto FC's logo that it seems to be lifted off.

I'd also mention that the road "all whites" offer up an advantage in immediately finding opponents. You can spot the "all whites" easy and it aids one touches and quickly knocking the ball around. Nothing is worse than having colors that are harder to distinguish either from perspective of player or fan.

The stream last night was very good. Much better than the first in sound and clarity. Unfortunately the match was filmed too close to field level and so an omniscient view of the pitch was missing. In terms of the game.

What a well coached side this is. One gets the impression the team play and commitment to training detail is just better than any opponents they have faced and the close in passes and textbook use of options and space means this team just controls the ball, and produces forward moves, more effectively than its opponents.

Atlanta had some clearly skilled players but one got the sense of individual vs team efforts.

Great result and start to the year.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

As a fan of Edmonton FC just have to say that the Cities dailys have taken a decidedly different take on our club.
The Edmonton Sun is putting out full columns, and recaps of the matches. Their articles indicating some knowledge of the club.
The Edmonton Journal is completely dropping the ball. No coverage, tiniest of recaps, no columnist covering the club. Terrible coverage.

This is the extent of the Journals coverage of the club this weekend.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...039/story.html

One small paragraph, I didn't even see it in the print version and had to search their database. Meanwhile the Rush get front page sports coverage consistently. Edmonton FC get stuck on a 5th page byline.

Quote:
SOCCER / Defender Alex Surprenant scored the game's only goal with a rising shot from 30 yards in the 11th minute as FC Edmonton downed the Atlanta Silverbacks in North American Soccer League action on Saturday. It was Edmonton's second win in as many games this season
I let the Journal know what I think of this.

Last edited by Replacement: 04-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
oiler-dude

For those of us unfamiliar with the leagues, how much of a difference is there from NASL to MSL? Would it be the equivalent of an AHL vs NHL game?

If I can find a buddy willing to go, I'd maybe check out the TFC match, and perhaps a couple throughout the season at Foote!

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I came to ask the same question in the post above.

I went to a few games last year and I'm not a big soccer fan at all. But all in all they were entertaining to go to and fun to watch. One night was even cold as hell and we had a good time.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
For those of us unfamiliar with the leagues, how much of a difference is there from NASL to MSL? Would it be the equivalent of an AHL vs NHL game?

If I can find a buddy willing to go, I'd maybe check out the TFC match, and perhaps a couple throughout the season at Foote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I came to ask the same question in the post above.

I went to a few games last year and I'm not a big soccer fan at all. But all in all they were entertaining to go to and fun to watch. One night was even cold as hell and we had a good time.
MLS is of course the higher ranked league now. Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps are now in that league. (Toronto has been for several seasons) Montreal Impact are in the NASL. ftr Montreal have beat Toronto FC a few times in big matches.

You'll get a chance to find out exactly where the Edmonton club stands in the Nutralite championships when Edmonton FC play Toronto FC @ Commonwealth Stadium on April 27th.

Edmonton is a very well coached squad with some talented young players and some imports. A good mix and look to be very competitive already. What you'll see is a team that puts in a lot of effort, no passengers, and that wants to win and win over fans.
A club that is organized, knock the ball around surprisingly well with deft one touches, and that can set the ball moving forward to create scoring chances which they are getting a lot of.
Theres some quality on the pitch and an enjoyable style of play.
You'll see some decent strikes and set pieces. We have a very good vet goalie in Rein Baart. Think Roloson.

Just one more word though is that Commonwealth swallows up an event like this and there probably won't be enough people out to see that one. Thus no atmosphere.

Take in a game at Foote Field (@ south Campus LRT station) for a better atmosphere and enjoyable facility.

Yes they have beer.

Last edited by Replacement: 04-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Did you mention you were watching streams of the away games?
Where are you watching them? Right off their homepage ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Did you mention you were watching streams of the away games?
Where are you watching them? Right off their homepage ?
Yes. Just go to schedule and they will have a link to the stream for the away game.

Next game on Wednesday.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/fc...-schedule-2011

If theres a stream on that one it should indicate on game day. Also the games are being telecast at Sports Central as mentioned.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:55 AM
stevieeatworld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asvLuQbbjuk

Highlights from Silverbacks game

stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Gags89

Groupon has a daily deal for 2 FC Edmonton General Admission tickets for their game against Toronto FC on April 27. Price is $35 for the pair for those interested.

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
stevieeatworld

FC Edmonton @ Carolina Railhawks!

LIVE @ http://www.ustream.tv/nasllive2

Lets make it 3 in a row before coming home next Wednesday!

stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
GatoradeG*

I went to like a game last year vs the Whitecaps and versus Colo Colo. Nice games, I like soccer so I might head to a couple this season. Fun times.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:42 PM
napaneeoilfan

I don't know beans about this level of soccer. Assuming the Premier league in Europe is the NHL level. Where does this league play at in hockey terms? Thanks

napaneeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Its waaay below the EPL, La Liga, Serie A...

Its to the MLS what the AHL is to the NHL... if that makes sense

That being said, if EFC could defend against the rush properly they would look like a very organized team for this level of footie

Old
04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Edmonton fall 2-0 and deservedly so to a very good looking Carolina club.

We had considerable trouble in this one from the start and once the club got down lost the confidence all over the pitch. More trouble noted today controlling the ball and getting much of anything creative done up front.

For the first time this year several balls served up to curious spaces. Passing was really off tonight.

Team looked a little tired. Many more mistakes tonight.

Great roadtrip though and we are now tied with Carolina for first place and coming home.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
So you want to base your entire opinion just on the logo? Alrighty there. You're not really wishing them success if that's all you're doing.
No I am basing it on every previous attempt at professional soccer that I have supported in this town only to have it blow up. Whenever I see names attached to the old tries, leagues attached to the old tries a constant lack of support and coverage the result is a foregone conclusion. No one can take it seriously. You expect the Sun or Journal to cover this when they will draw crowds of less than 2000 people (most free or discounted)? They will cover it with a full page when it blows up again as another sad chapter in Edmonton soccer.

The game versus Everton was a HUGE financial disaster. The indoor league drew flies and I doubt you will have 1000 people at any game this year without numerous freebees and a devaluing of the ticket which they are already doing with groupon.

I wish them success but I will no longer support a soccer team in Edmonton time wise or financially until I see some semblance of professionalism. Is that too much to ask before I devote my time and hard earned money? Maybe you weren't around for the Drillers, Black Gold, Brickmen, Eagles, Aviators and I probably missed one in there.

I have every right to be skeptical and yes the logo is amateurish which leads me to believe that attention to detail in their branding for starters is lacking. If you can't get that right then the rest is probably not far behind.

I hope they prove me wrong but I think the Fath's are throwing good money after bad since they lost a bundle on the game versus Everton along with Bruno Mastroprimiano with Abbey Lane Homes. Bruno was smart and got out quick. The Fath's were not so lucky. They are the suckers this time around who will lose their shirt and I doubt they last beyond this season.

The only way soccer works in this community is if Mr. Katz puts up some money to build a soccer specific stadium and gets an MLS team. I don't see that happening any time soon. At least until the hockey rink is built. Minor league sports like the Capitals, FC Edmonton and the Energy can all be grouped with AJHL hockey, the Golden Bears athletics and ACAC athletics in terms of popularity and relevance in the Edmonton marketplace. I would even say that the Capitals may have a higher stature due to their association with the Oilers.

It's nice that there are still some devoted fans as I was in the past to make this work but hap hazard attempts will only deepen the wound when it comes to soccer in Edmonton. Do it right and fans would support it otherwise it's a money pit. I feel for the Fath's because I think someone has sold them a bill of goods about the chances of a team succeeding here. Maybe it was Mel Kowalchuk, who by the way was the initial manager and mouthpiece for FC Edmonton and is already gone. I am not a fan of Mel but it speaks to the continuity of the group already. Maybe it was Joe Petrone who has been front and center with every failure in the history of Edmonton minor pro soccer. Whoever it was the Fath's will rue the day that they listened to or met that guy(s).

Maybe it was Soccer Steve? Is that you STEVIEEATWORLD?

Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Slickster

Just to speak to the popularity of soccer and the team this thread was started on April 7th and two weeks later has about 40 posts including multiple post by the same people. Including three from me who couldn't resist to stop by to get an update on the next blemish for soccer in Edmonton and the ensuing train wreck.

Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickster View Post
Just to speak to the popularity of soccer and the team this thread was started on April 7th and two weeks later has about 40 posts including multiple post by the same people. Including three from me who couldn't resist to stop by to get an update on the next blemish for soccer in Edmonton and the ensuing train wreck.
This is far more support than an Edmonton Rush thread gets here ftr. Not that they do that great either but its beyond silly to gauge support here on a hockey board, for either other sporting club.

FC Edmonton is being discussed on "Voyageurs" and afairc some other dedicated board.

The team also has a board on their website.

Carry on with your prophets of doom though. Thanks as well for indicating your intent here so the rest of us can just ignore your further sermons on the failure of this club.

Old
04-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by napaneeoilfan View Post
I don't know beans about this level of soccer. Assuming the Premier league in Europe is the NHL level. Where does this league play at in hockey terms? Thanks
If I were to just take a guess out of thin air, would comparing this league to the German DEL league be fair?

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
AlanHUK

you'd be hard pressed to compare it to anything really.

the best you could do is MLS(NHL) NASL(AHL).

comparing it to europe would be much harder.

Champions league (NHL)

EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga (AHL)

English championship, french, dutch, and other 'big' european top leagues.

MLS would probably be just below those leagues and then NASL a tier below that.

Old
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
The only way soccer works in this community is if Mr. Katz puts up some money to build a soccer specific stadium and gets an MLS team. I don't see that happening any time soon. At least until the hockey rink is built.
And why would the MLS bother handing a franchise to market that, thanks to people like you, has consistently failed to support soccer?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I fully intend to support this team at home every chance I get this summer providing my schedule allows it.
I'm also planning on getting me a scarf and maaaaybe a jersey.

Old
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Ultra Magnus

Quote:
seriously? thats your logic.. the length of a thread on soccer posted on a hockey board? bravo.

Ultra Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
you'd be hard pressed to compare it to anything really.the best you could do is MLS(NHL) NASL(AHL).

comparing it to europe would be much harder.

Champions league (NHL)

EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga (AHL)

English championship, french, dutch, and other 'big' european top leagues.

MLS would probably be just below those leagues and then NASL a tier below that.
I agree I don't think the comparisons are relevant anyway, as all of the bolded would be NHL or higher in quality, (more like NFL) Champions league would be far beyond the quality of play of Hockey played anywhere, and the WC would be hockey played amongst the best hockey playing planets in the universe

I make these odd comments to offer the basic correction that Soccer is simply played at a much higher level in many more countries by many more players. Theres just no way anybody could say the Premiership is AHL quality.

I agree the MLS is around AHL or better level quality with NASL somewhere below it.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:43 PM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres just no way anybody could say the Premiership is AHL quality.
outside of the top 6 teams there is a huge drop off in skill, then there is another big drop between the premier league and the championship.

I honestly think sooner or later the premier league will lose the top teams and a european super league will start up.

the world cup is the peak of soccer
then the champions league
then the premier league

i guess another way you could look at it is

world cup/olympics
champions league/stanley cup
premier league etc/presidents trophy

?