HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Grabner to get good deal

Old
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Which is where he's often played in his playing history.

Mitch
i remember him parking infront of the net on past pps

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
KO gets it in the neck because of the injury. Stats can't be used to make a case for himself, and scoring numbers since return have not been impressive.
I would think that Garth will want him under contract for 3 years but not long enough for his UFA year. That might mean a 2 year deal but KO will miss out on big bucks this time. I expect him to come in around what Comeau will get.
It wont ruin the budget structure.

If I'm KO's rep.,I'm pushing for a 1 yr deal.Not two yrs on a cheap,team friendly contract.

I'd tell the Isles that we'll get back to the bargaining table next summer.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'm still talking about keeping the salary structure in order for now which will aid in keeping it intact for the near and far future. If Bailey and KO only sign for one year, then improve, what happens next? Grabner could become a starting point for one good year. I don't want that to happen. I'm not worried about this year as much as next year. Setting Grabner at $3 million for next year just risks raising everyone else a bit more than I want at this time.
I wouldn't be too worried about it raising other people's salaries. The only guys who'll be able to point to a 30g season in the next summer or two will be Moulson who is already locked up and Tavares who will be getting paid no matter what. I honestly don't see anyone else hitting that number in the next couple seasons. And if they do, they'll probably be in a position where they're getting paid either way.

Quote:
I wouldn't cry about a $12 million/4 years contract for Grabner. But there's no way that I'm starting with that as Snow. It also goes a bit against what he's been doing of late.

The 4 deals I listed I believe are pro-Islanders, but not unreasonable. Considering that we've had reasonable contract offers of late, I don't want that to change. I want players to get paid exactly what they're supposed to get paid while they're RFAs.
Eh, I'm not really looking at the negotiations so much as the end result. Of course I'd be completely OK with the deals you mention, especially the 4 year one. I just don't know how realistic they are. Now that they are unreasonable, I just think they may be more pro-Islander than what Grabner would be willing to sign longer term for. Of course, I have zero clue what Grabner is willing to do, so who knows.

Quote:
I don't expect Grabner to be anything more than what he's been in the past but at the NHL level. I bet he'll hit 40 goals. I just don't think he'll hit much more that 25 assists. Of course, a 40-25-65 guy is worth a lot, but it still shows that Grabner more self-creates and finishes opportunities given to him more than creates for others. Which is fine, that's his game, and I like his game. (Except he DOES leave the zone early at times. Sometimes, it's really useful and pulls the D back. Other times, he gets caught away from the play if his teammates don't get the puck out.)

I agree with you about there being the risk of him blowing up and expecting more if we only sign him short-term. There's also the risk that he gets out to a slow start and has a similar year. The Islanders have some leverage and they should use it. That's all I'm saying.
I agree 100% that the Islanders have the leverage and should use it. I think the only place we really have any disagreement is in how they can best use it. My opinion, is that right now is when they'll have the most leverage they're ever going to have in contract negotiations. Like you, I think Grabner's only going to continue to prove he's the real deal, and that'll take away some of the leverage for the next negotiation. What that means to me, is that it makes sense to try to make this contract last for a longer amount of time, to maximize the value of the leveraged negotiations.

But as always Mitchy, I enjoy our debates and while I may not agree with you 100% I completely understand and respect your position on the subject

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Dan-o16

I'm with Seph. I think a lot of you are undervaluing Grabner's worth. This is not a Matt Moulson scenario where people wonder how he does it. Grabner changes the game, whether he scores 30 or not. I expect a range from 2 years 6-6.5 to 4 years 14. A 1-year deal would be a big mistake.

You cannot skimp on a player like this. Grabner is not the underdog done well. He's the high-flying talent who was left available by very odd circumstance.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:01 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

hopefully martinek, konopka and gillies do too

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I think the Isles have already set precedents with the Moulson, AMac, and Neilsen contracts. I see them offering Grabner 2 contract offers. The 1 year 'prove that you are really this good and you'll get rewarded' contract and a 4 year 'below market value, but you'll have stability for a young player' contract.

Could go either way, but I see him going the Moulson route. If he continues to play this way next year, he'll earn himself that fat 3-4 year extension. At any rate, lightning struck with his acquisition and we all couldn't be happier about that.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
mitchy22

@Seph and others: Not much more to add from my side. Looking forward to seeing Grabner signed and we'll see how Snow/Grabner's Agent handle it.

I just expect the bigger numbers to be in the shorter contract. Like a few of us have said, I think Snow is going to be throwing the same type of contracts out there that he has in the past. Like it or not, this team has a questionable bottom line. Most of Snow's moves have been prudent. I expect this contract to be more reasonable the longer it goes. I don't think my numbers were skimpy as much as NYI favorable, and in their position, they should get favorable numbers.

More than anything, I'm just glad that we have some players under our control that I'm actually looking forward to us signing and staying on with us into the future. I'd like to see a few upgrades, but I like a lot of our core and upcoming prospects.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:23 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
i remember him parking infront of the net on past pps
I could be wrong, but I was fairly sure that he played the point on the PP often (prior to being on the NYI.)

MItch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

I can easily see Snow attempting a deal that seals Grabner's RFA status when the new contract's up. Add that to his 'efficient' approach (and the way he uses bonuses to float to the cap floor), and I'm thinking no more than 2 years, no more than 2.75 per year, bonuses to kick in when/if Grabner scores 30-40 goals. The Islanders have him as an RFA at the end of the deal, Grabs get a bit of a payday up front, and bonuses in the contract add incentive for a repeat performance.

This team is going to be a pain in the Atlantic Division's *** next year.......

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:13 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Anyone know when rookie of the year is decided.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Hipster Doofus

Bonuses are not allowed under any circumstances unless its an elc or player is over 35. This isnt mlb or nfl.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote