HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Have we missed Godard?

Old
04-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Chraa

vCash: 500
Isn't Godards role to serve as a deterrent for anyone thinking about doing something to Crosby / Malkin? If so, how can we determine if we miss him or not with those two out of the lineup?

Last edited by Chraa: 04-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Semi-related, the goofs on 93.7 have been talking all morning about whether Godard and/or Engelland should dress tonight.

Paul Alexander went on and on about "What message are you sending the team if you dress Engelland, who has been scratched recently? You are 2 games from the playoffs, you don't need someone getting suspended or breaking a hand!"

Then about 3 minutes later "I wouldn't mind seeing Engelland out there, I don't know if Niskanen has done enough to deserve to be out there."

(Not that I don't agree with the 2nd statement)

My stance-- you dress a team that best matches up vs. your opponent. If this game were against any other team and said team dressed their goon, you dress Godard. Just because it's the Isles, shouldn't change
You're sending the message that Engelland's recent play has been better than Lovejoy's recent play, which is true. You're also sending the message that Trevor Gillies is a contemptible goon, which is true as well.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
It's nice to hear them talk about hockey (although its extremely rare), they know next to nothing about it. They consistently say completely idiotic statements that even a novice fan wouldn't say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
You're sending the message that Engelland's recent play has been better than Lovejoy's recent play, which is true. You're also sending the message that Trevor Gillies is a contemptible goon, which is true as well.
See STF's answer above. They are clueless. I expected Giannotti to be clueless, but Alexander does FSN/Root in-studio stuff. He's just as bad.

I agree at least Engelland needs to dress-- both as a deterrent and he's earned the right to be back in the lineup ahead of Lovejoy. You don't go into this game with only Rupp vs Gillies, Konopka, etc.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
JTG

He's a good guy to have on your side. That being said, I don't know how he will be retained. I'm sure another HW will be brought in because that's a lot to ask of Engelland for 82 games, IMO.

It's not like Lovejoy is really needed in this game anyways. We're not playing a team where it's a must to have 3 pairings that move the puck quickly. I'd dress both Engelland and Godard.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
KiuasWarrior

We need these two points tonight, I don't think Godard will dress...

Engelland, I can see suiting up.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:24 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
We need these two points tonight, I don't think Godard will dress...

Engelland, I can see suiting up.
Because at least Engelland can play the game of hockey and be decent at it.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
You're sending the message that Engelland's recent play has been better than Lovejoy's recent play, which is true.
How do you figure? Screw my eyes and lets say, "minutes, goals, assists and plus/minus."

Engelland is tough, has had a great season and been a huge surprise to a great many of us, but Lovejoy in the past couple of months has shown why he is a better hockey player. Not necessarily more useful every time, because Engelland's physicality is a real asset as well, but a better and more complete player just the same. To be honest I'd prefer to scratch Niskanen come playoff time, but it is a bit of a luxury problem figuring out who is our number 5/6/7.

Quote:
You're also sending the message that Trevor Gillies is a contemptible goon, which is true as well.
No complaints on that one though!

...and as regards the thread topic..... lets just say that I have missed Godard as much as I thought I would. I'd also say that the Pens have missed him about as much as I have.

...and being Devils Advocate for a second, we could have a different roster composition next season with a very different emphasis on skill/youth, and in that case perhaps Godard would be more important than he is now.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
...and being Devils Advocate for a second, we could have a different roster composition next season with a very different emphasis on skill/youth, and in that case perhaps Godard would be more important than he is now.
That's actually a decent point. A lot depends on how Shero and Bylsma want to make up the bottom 6. If they go with skill and youth:

Tangradi - Letestu - Jeffrey
Johnson - Vitale - Adams

Then it might be nice to have a 13th forward that can come in the lineup and fight (although I'd much rather have a Rupp or Asham type). But, if we retain Rupp and Asham, I don't see a point in having a fighter only type guy. Either way I prefer Godard is gone, just because I don't find a fighter only role necessary at all regardless of lineup.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
Isn't Godards role to serve as a deterrent for anyone thinking about doing something to Crosby / Malkin? If so, how can we determine if we miss him or not with those two out of the lineup?
That's a really valid point.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Jag68Sid87

As far as tonight's game goes, I'd play both Engelland and Godard. And Asham as well. Sit Conner, Comrie and one of Lovejoy or Niskanen. Lovejoy's played very well of late. Maybe reward him. Though not sure who plays the left side between Lovejoy and Engelland. Maybe against the Isles, it doesn't matter.

A message needs to be sent to the Isles tonight. Not "let's goon it up boys." Rather, "we have bigger fish to fry, starting next week." So, we don't need anything to happen tonight to change things for us next week. If they wanna start up sh%t, we need to be ready. Otherwise, we need these two points because we still wanna catch Philly.

We need the freedom to be able to do that, though.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Black Label

Godard seems like a good guy, and does his job well. That being said, we have other people that can do his job + more so he is pretty much expendable at this point.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
As far as tonight's game goes, I'd play both Engelland and Godard. And Asham as well. Sit Conner, Comrie and one of Lovejoy or Niskanen. Lovejoy's played very well of late. Maybe reward him. Though not sure who plays the left side between Lovejoy and Engelland. Maybe against the Isles, it doesn't matter.

A message needs to be sent to the Isles tonight. Not "let's goon it up boys." Rather, "we have bigger fish to fry, starting next week." So, we don't need anything to happen tonight to change things for us next week. If they wanna start up sh%t, we need to be ready. Otherwise, we need these two points because we still wanna catch Philly.

We need the freedom to be able to do that, though.
The only way something is going to happen in this game is if we initiate it. Dressing Godard only makes matters worse. If we don't dress him, then it sends the message to the Islanders that we are here to play a hockey game, and not a back street brawl. They got what they wanted in the last game. They won't start **** tonight, added onto the fact that the league is going to **** all over them if they do anything again.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
The only way something is going to happen in this game is if we initiate it. Dressing Godard only makes matters worse. If we don't dress him, then it sends the message to the Islanders that we are here to play a hockey game, and not a back street brawl. They got what they wanted in the last game. They won't start **** tonight, added onto the fact that the league is going to **** all over them if they do anything again.
I'd rather err on the side of caution. Can we honestly know what guys like Micheal Haley and Trevor Gillies are thinking?

Old
04-08-2011, 09:52 AM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
This, and I don't really think there's much else to say.

Maybe Godard will play Sunday, if 4th is a lock by then... for his final game this season.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'd rather err on the side of caution. Can we honestly know what guys like Micheal Haley and Trevor Gillies are thinking?
No but what we do know is that if they do anything stupid they will be thrown out of the game, and Godard won't be able to fight them anyway. Unless he wants to do so after the game in a dark alley. I mean Godard was in the last game as well and look what happened. He didn't act as much of a deterrent then...

Old
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Jag68Sid87

Well, to be fair to Godard, he left the bench to protect our goalie and got 10 games for it. I don't think you can ask for much more from your enforcer/policeman than that.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Chraa

Quote:
No but what we do know is that if they do anything stupid they will be thrown out of the game, and Godard won't be able to fight them anyway. Unless he wants to do so after the game in a dark alley. I mean Godard was in the last game as well and look what happened. He didn't act as much of a deterrent then...
What happened in the last game was going to happen even if we had dressed a roster of only goons. The Isles wanted "revenge" for something that happened in the Johnson vs Dipietro game. There is no deterrent for that.

However, Godard could possibly be a deterrent for someone who thinks about doing something dirty to our superstars in the heat of the moment.
Nothing too dirty has happened to Crosby/Geno so far (don't say the Steckel or Hedman hits...) with him in the roster. If that is thanks to Godard or not is hard to say.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

I haven't thought any enforcer brought much value to the rink for quite some time. I will say, however, that Godard leaping from the bench to take the 10 game suspension made me aware of his worth (however small).

The fact that he has no value on the ice was actually a good thing in that case: He protected his goaltender and the 10-game suspension did not impact the team whatsoever.

Snooki Stackhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
wej20

Quote:
What happened in the last game was going to happen even if we had dressed a roster of only goons. The Isles wanted "revenge" for something that happened in the Johnson vs Dipietro game. There is no deterrent for that.

However, Godard could possibly be a deterrent for someone who thinks about doing something dirty to our superstars in the heat of the moment.
Nothing too dirty has happened to Crosby/Geno so far (don't say the Steckel or Hedman hits...) with him in the roster. If that is thanks to Godard or not is hard to say.
is Godard any more of a deterrent than say Engelland or Rupp though?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

I'm talking in context of the game tonight.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:26 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Well, to be fair to Godard, he left the bench to protect our goalie and got 10 games for it. I don't think you can ask for much more from your enforcer/policeman than that.
You're missing the point. His presence did nothing to stop that sideshow. If it happens again tonight (which it won't) his presence again won't stop anything from happening.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Terrapin

I say we scratch Godard, Engelland, Rupp, and Asham tonight. We can dress Connor, Nick Johnson, and bring back Miro Satan. If any of their goons start anything, we'll just curl up in a ball and pray Bettman comes down from the stands to protect us. Sound good? lol.

You guys make it sound like having tough guys is a bad thing. If I recall, we were about the best team in the league till Sid and Geno went down, and we regularly dressed Asham, Godard, Eng, etc.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
You're missing the point. His presence did nothing to stop that sideshow. If it happens again tonight (which it won't) his presence again won't stop anything from happening.
His 'presence' may have prevented Johnson from getting crippled. We didn't have Asham or Cooke that game. Rupp and Engs got tossed early. That left Godard to police Gilles, Kenopka, and Haley. You saw the result. And since nobody seems to want to match their toughness again tonight, you obviously are hoping for a similar outcome.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
KiuasWarrior

People seem to think that by dressing Godard and Engelland they will just man handle Islander after Islander in bloodfest 2.0.

Getting 2 points tonight seems more important than winning a fight or two.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
is Godard any more of a deterrent than say Engelland or Rupp though?
Yes. He's a better fighter and nastier. But more importantly, if someone is to take a suspension, break a hand, etc, would you rather it be Godard, or a regular?