HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have we missed Godard?

Old
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Chraa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
I'm talking in context of the game tonight.
Oh yeah? Looks to me like you're talking about last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
You're missing the point. His presence did nothing to stop that sideshow. If it happens again tonight (which it won't) his presence again won't stop anything from happening.

Like I said, Godards role isn't to act as a deterrent for revenge like actions. There is no deterrent when the other team has decided before hand what they are going to do.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
People seem to think that by dressing Godard and Engelland they will just man handle Islander after Islander in bloodfest 2.0.

Getting 2 points tonight seems more important than winning a fight or two.
2 points is the most important thing. But why is it an either/or? If Godard plays, it doesn't mean we have no chance of winning. lol. Is Connor that dominate of a player that he needs in the lineup at all times?

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:36 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
He's a good guy to have on your side. That being said, I don't know how he will be retained. I'm sure another HW will be brought in because that's a lot to ask of Engelland for 82 games, IMO.

It's not like Lovejoy is really needed in this game anyways. We're not playing a team where it's a must to have 3 pairings that move the puck quickly. I'd dress both Engelland and Godard.
Yeah Ive been assuming that Engelland would play rougher more physical teams and Lovejoy/Niskanen would play teams where we just want to fuel our transition game and get up in scoring chances fast. Or basically any softer team.

Dont expect that to change tonight. I would probably play Engelland against Atlanta too. They have some competent checkers and a PWF or two.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Chraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
is Godard any more of a deterrent than say Engelland or Rupp though?
More than Rupp? Yes I think so, Rupp is a fairly useless fighter.
Engelland is another question though. It's very hard to say.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Yes. He's a better fighter and nastier. But more importantly, if someone is to take a suspension, break a hand, etc, would you rather it be Godard, or a regular?
But if a guy like Avery, Ott, Kaleta, etc do something dirty then Engelland or Rupp can easily handle them and cause enough damage. If a guy like Gilles does something dirty then he's a good enough fighter than he can fight Godard and not get completely destroyed most times so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent Godard is to a guy like Gilles.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Mooslan

Dress Engelland over Niskanen tonight, don't bother with Godard. The Pens need the 2 points and it would show just how much better of a coach Bylsma is.

Mooslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Because it takes up a roster spot that could be used for an actual hockey player. I like Godard but he is not at all necessary on this team and really has done nothing of value this year (other than be a funny guy and jump off the bench in the Isles game).
If the Isles still carry Gillies, if the Flyers still carry Shelley, if the Rangers still carry Boogaard, there's no harm in keeping Godard for the league minimum.

I'm all for getting rid of the enforcer role, and I almost never want to see Godard in the line up, but sometimes his presence is preferred.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
But if a guy like Avery, Ott, Kaleta, etc do something dirty then Engelland or Rupp can easily handle them and cause enough damage. If a guy like Gilles does something dirty then he's a good enough fighter than he can fight Godard and not get completely destroyed most times so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent Godard is to a guy like Gilles.
Good point.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Yeah the "enforcer" is dieing off. They are being replace with guys like Engelland who can play a role as long as fight if needed which is the way it should be.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooslan View Post
Dress Engelland over Niskanen tonight, don't bother with Godard. The Pens need the 2 points and it would show just how much better of a coach Bylsma is.
Why would we bench Niskanen after the last couple of games for Lovejoy were horrible?

Old
04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Mooslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Why would we bench Niskanen after the last couple of games for Lovejoy were horrible?
What has Niskanen done to deserve any more ice time?

Lovejoy is producing some offense on a team that has had a difficulty scoring, pretty simple in my mind.

Mooslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooslan View Post
What has Niskanen done to deserve any more ice time?

Lovejoy is producing some offense on a team that has had a difficulty scoring, pretty simple in my mind.
The only offense he is producing is for the other team.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Lovejoy is just a poor-man's Niskanen. If you take either one out of the lineup it'd have to be Lovejoy.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
KiuasWarrior

I have nothing against Lovejoy, I just don't see him excelling in the playoffs, or playing just a sound game for that matter.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
I have nothing against Lovejoy, I just don't see him excelling in the playoffs, or playing just a sound game for that matter.
I'm with you. In a 7 game series I can get see him making one dumb mistake and costing the Pens a win. That's a pretty dumb prediction I know, but that's my gut feeling on him.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Rakunitz23

1) Godard WILL be back next year
2) All of you whining about the need for enforcers, will be the same ones saying 'thank god we have godard' after tonight's game.
3) This thread will be buried following the game, because everyone will realize how wrong they were, and how useful he is, and they'll be too embarrassed to step up and say 'whoops, i was wrong'

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:15 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Answer: No.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
1) Godard WILL be back next year
2) All of you whining about the need for enforcers, will be the same ones saying 'thank god we have godard' after tonight's game.
3) This thread will be buried following the game, because everyone will realize how wrong they were, and how useful he is, and they'll be too embarrassed to step up and say 'whoops, i was wrong'
Am I suspecting heavy sarcasm here?

Old
04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

There is absolutely zero reason for Godard to be re-signed. Zero.

He doesn't deter guys from doing anything at all. They're grown men, and they're not afraid of the consequences of taking runs at our guys. As we say in the Isles massacre, if a player has it in his head he's going to do something, there's not a damn thing anyone (enforcers, the league, refs, etc) can do to stop him. Godard just eats nearly a million dollars a season to sit on the bench and never touch the ice during the playoffs.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:22 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post

He doesn't deter guys from doing anything at all. They're grown men, and they're not afraid of the consequences of taking runs at our guys. As we say in the Isles massacre, if a player has it in his head he's going to do something, there's not a damn thing anyone (enforcers, the league, refs, etc) can do to stop him. Godard just eats nearly a million dollars a season to sit on the bench and never touch the ice during the playoffs.

This, I entirely agree with.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Chraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post

We can't know for sure until the day we don't have an enforcer, both Geno & Sid are in the lineup and the game gets scrappy.
I'd rather be safe than sorry tbh

Old
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
We can't know for sure until the day we don't have an enforcer, both Geno & Sid are in the lineup and the game gets scrappy.
I'd rather be safe than sorry tbh
So what you're saying is that players on other teams could actually be afraid of Godard and that he is the catalyst as to whether or not guys simply clothesline our stars? Does that sound like it makes sense?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Chraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
So what you're saying is that players on other teams could actually be afraid of Godard and that he is the catalyst as to whether or not guys simply clothesline our stars? Does that sound like it makes sense?
I'm saying that in a scrappy game I would MUCH rather see Godard out there with Sid / Geno than any of our other players.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Godard will maybe touch the same sheet of ice at the same time as Crosby and Malkin for a combined total of three minutes throughout the course of a season. The rest of the time when he isn't scratched or taking his handful of shifts (typically involving a pre-arranged hug-fest with the other team's knuckledragger) he's glued to the bench.

"Enforcing," evidently. With his mind powers. And a really, really, really intimidating grimace.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
KiuasWarrior

All eyes on Godard tonight.

For all this hype of him enforcing, he better pull Gilles off the bench and split him in two.