HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs should sign Wisniewski over Markov

Old
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
habdynasty

vCash: 500
Markov is great but his knee is shot, I expect him to play 20 games before the knee gives out again. Bobby orr all over again.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
I like him but he is going to command 5m next on long term deal. We have to re sign subban and price after this year and it is going to cost. Forget about dealing spacek, his contract makes him untradable. I would offer a 1 year deal to the hammer @ 3m and georges 2.5 long term.

Defense next season

markov 5.5 3 years
subban .875
hammer 3.00 1 year
georges 2.5 4yrs
spacek 3.83
yemelin 8.75 1 year
weber 1 way contract @550 K
mara 500K

this way we have money to sign decent top 6 forward
Yemelin is pretty expensive

Seriously, Markov is WAY WAY better than Wiz. As much as I like Wisniewski, he is nothing compared to Markov. I would keep both tho.

Markov Wiz
Hammer Subban
Gill Gorges
or
Markov Gorges
Hammer Wiz
Gill Subban

Last edited by Vanek20: 04-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Markov is great but his knee is shot, I expect him to play 20 games before the knee gives out again. Bobby orr all over again.
BTW - it's 2011...not 1969

P.S. - James Wiesniewski has had 3 knee injuries/operations

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
BTW - it's 2011...not 1969

P.S. - James Wiesniewski has had 3 knee injuries/operations
69 lol try 79 but whatever....

Go habs subban and price are the future !

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
What's kinda funny is Wisniewski went through 3 of the same knee surgeries as Markov is going through now. I don't think it's even a debate if there is to be a choice between Markov and Wiz. One is borderline adequate in the D zone, the other has shown he can play against top players in a shutdown role, kill penalties, etc. One is on pace to get 60 points with the Habs, the other already did in his last full season two years ago. Hell even last year Markov had 34 points in 45 games (not to mention a team high +11 despite missing half the season) which is still better production than what Wiz is showing right now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
69 lol try 79 but whatever....Go habs subban and price are the future !
By 1969 I was referring to when Orr started to have trouble with his knees...

Old
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
What do you mean suddenly? Hes been a 20 minute D-man for 3 years already, eating up a ton of PK minutes.

I think you'll just have to accept that Laraque won't be brought in to complement our 2nd pairing anytime soon.
Oh wow, did you come up with that one on your own?

You said it yourself, he eats a ton of minutes on the pk. It's not hard playing 20 min when you're 3 defensmens on each side separating 60 min of play.... Everybody bottom pairing defensmens either play on the pk or on the 2nd pp wave, nothing uncommon here. If Gorges is top 4 then our D squad needs serious help imo.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
By 1969 I was referring to when Orr started to have trouble with his knees...
1968 even.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:46 PM
bjac

Quote:
Not quite... The surgeries that Orr had on his knee actually backfired a couple years down the road. They removed the cartilage from his knee causing the problem to become worse in the long run. The bones began to "grind" together causing all sorts of problems, including intense pain (cartilage can act as a cushion between bones). That type of procedure is no longer used because it results in further degradation of the joint. The treatment that Markov has recieved is astronomically better than the treatment that Orr had. Which is a shame because we all know Orr's career was cut short.

Also, lets not give the Bruins fan base any fuel by comparing the two players... Even when comparing injuries they can (and probably will) take it out of context.

Last edited by bjac: 04-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
1968 even.
Yeah...specifically the 68-69 season.

But regardless, my point is that medicine has come a loooonnnngggg way since the days where Bobby Orr was getting his knee's butchered.

There's no reason Markov can't come back from his two knee injuries...none whatsoever if he puts in the work during his rehab

Old
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Yeah...specifically the 68-69 season.

But regardless, my point is that medicine has come a loooonnnngggg way since the days where Bobby Orr was getting his knee's butchered.

There's no reason Markov can't come back from his two knee injuries...none whatsoever if he puts in the work during his rehab
Except that he is 7 years older then Wizniewski. It sucks to say such words but Markov will slowly start to go on the decline from this moment on.Of course on talent alone Markov surpasses Wiz by a very good margain, but at 21 and 26 years old, i think that Subban-Wiz is a pretty good pair of defensmens wwith Weber to build around in the future. Perfect D squad would be...

Markov-Wiz
Ernhoff-Subban
Spacek/Gill-Gorges

Not overly big, we could put Gorges on the left side and get a big D to play with him if necessary.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:15 PM
MTL-rules

Wiz is nowhere close to Markov. I fully believe Markov will be either fully healthy and back to his usual awesome self or he'll have to call it quits.

In the first scenario, great we have two great d-men, in the second case... too bad, he retires his cap hit doesn't count and we start over... but you just never let go a player of his talent, NEVER.

As for Wiz, I think he'll cost too much for what he's really worth. I'd prefer going after a big stay-at-home defenceman that could play with Markov.

Bieksa, again, would be the perfect fit.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
Granted, but ATL was just poorly managed, just drafted Stefan over a Sedin too. CLB havent had enough top 3 picks like CHI, PIT, WSH, and EDM have had which makes a difference.

NYI will have Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, Neidereiter, 2012 pick, Hamonic, DeHann, not to mention great forward depth in Moulson, Bailey, and Comeau going forward.... watch them be a regular a regular playoff team in a few years.
Not only have they been atrocious for longer than anyone can remember, but it will takes them a few more years just to be a playoff team...

seriously, at this pace, everyone here will be dead by the time they get to the SCF...

sounds like a marvelous plan...

really...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Wiz is nowhere close to Markov. I fully believe Markov will be either fully healthy and back to his usual awesome self or he'll have to call it quits.

In the first scenario, great we have two great d-men, in the second case... too bad, he retires his cap hit doesn't count and we start over... but you just never let go a player of his talent, NEVER.

As for Wiz, I think he'll cost too much for what he's really worth. I'd prefer going after a big stay-at-home defenceman that could play with Markov.

Bieksa, again, would be the perfect fit.
What you said. There's nobody's stick I'd rather see the puck on on the entire team than Markov. Nobody. Zilch. Other than frozen in Price's glove. Markov makes us a legit transition team and gives us more and safer possession time. He also opens up our pp with his creativity. Not to mention that his defensive zone play is amongst the elite in the league.

No comparison and I really don't understand the delay in signing him. I truly believe he is gonna be a Washington Capital and that this will be a Gauthier blunder.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Markov is recovered, he's too good to released as a UFA. He would surely come back to haunt the Habs. Wisniewski has assets but by comparison with Markov he's relatively crude and much more prone to mistakes. He's 27 and unlikely to get better.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

you dont replace markov with a wisniewski.

If you need to replace markov, this move would be a downgrade, so I dont agree with the whole premise.

Just because wiz is putting up alot of points, doesnt automatically mean he's markov.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Except that he is 7 years older then Wizniewski. It sucks to say such words but Markov will slowly start to go on the decline from this moment on.Of course on talent alone Markov surpasses Wiz by a very good margain, but at 21 and 26 years old, i think that Subban-Wiz is a pretty good pair of defensmens wwith Weber to build around in the future. Perfect D squad would be...

Markov-Wiz
Ernhoff-Subban
Spacek/Gill-Gorges

Not overly big, we could put Gorges on the left side and get a big D to play with him if necessary.
It really doesn't matter if he plays on one leg and declines, one of the strongest point Markov had was his vision, this will never go away. He might have to adapt to certain things, but in no way does that mean he won't be as effective anymore.

But even if he is, he's still be better than at least half the league.

Markov needs to be re-signed no matter what.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
I like him but he is going to command 5m next on long term deal. We have to re sign subban and price after this year and it is going to cost. Forget about dealing spacek, his contract makes him untradable. I would offer a 1 year deal to the hammer @ 3m and georges 2.5 long term.

Defense next season

markov 5.5 3 years
subban .875
hammer 3.00 1 year
georges 2.5 4yrs
spacek 3.83
yemelin 8.75 1 year

weber 1 way contract @550 K
mara 500K

this way we have money to sign decent top 6 forward
Why would you waste $ 3 million on Hamrlik?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
keep Markov and Wiz and maybe gill for 1 year at price cut let hamrlik sopel mara go

Markov Subban
Gill Gorges
Spacek Wiz

or switch Gill and Wiz

thank you
Or cut Gill and bring in Carkner as Bruin repellent.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Le depisteur

Change title: Habs should sign both...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Depending on the $, why not both?
Habs can do it easily...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
KristoLeblanc*

If you don't re-sign Hamrlik with his 5.5 you are able to keep both Markov and Wis.

Markov would re-sign a similar $$ between 5 and 6 mils. Wis between 4 and 5.

Having, Markov, Wisniewski and Subban on the backhand would be neat. Its been a while since we had that much firepower on the backhand. 2006-07 with Souray 64pts, Markov 50pts and Streit 35pts was the last time. Even then, Streit wasn't a full time D.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Mats NAslund

Why not just sign both

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Markov is our only ELITE player of the team

Price and PK will become elite eventually but Markov is our only one...and you want to get rid of him???

it's like the pens getting rid of crosby cuz he's injury prone now...

n0 n0 n0

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:00 PM
FF de Mars

Markov is the best Habs player. PK will give him a run next season, but I don't see how anybody would choose Wiz over Markov. Wiz is way more inconsistent, and Markov is better at everything except slapshot, yet has a better wrist shot and is a true PP QB. The Wiz is a rich man MAB. Nothing wrong with that. I'd still want him on this team, but never at the expense of Markov.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 04-08-2011 at 11:02 PM.
FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote