HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Devils Pre Game Talk: It All Comes Down To This

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Does anyone know if Versus or NHL Network picked this game up? I have Center Ice and live out of market, and I have to work tomorrow afternoon. Last year I got burned on a game last March when it said Center Ice would have it, but ended up being on NHL Network. As of now, it's only on MSG, but don't want to get burned again.
Interesting questions for me as well. I just moved to NC and Time Warner Cable says I CANT order NHL Centre Ice for the reg season anymore. I can ONLY order the Stanley Cup package. Such a joke. They don't want to take my money to show me ONE game?

Old
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
School

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
look im not talking about his sister, im talking about his deep hatred for the rangers. lou is another guy that even though they are out would love to be able to keep the rangers from making it. its no substitute for making the playoffs, but in this season it would be a nice little trophy for the devils to have. and while brodeur says this now, im talking about what he would be saying after a win.
listen if a team misses the playoff its no one elses fault but the team themselves. no one team knocks another team out of the playoffs in the regular season

Old
04-08-2011, 01:39 PM
chip chipperson*

word it however you want. if the devils win they can possibly knock the rangers out.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

The Devils will be fired up for this one. If our guys aren't, we're ****ing ****ed.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
A little OT, but quite honestly, if I was Sather, I would do a Gaborik for Brown trade 100x out of 100.

I admittedly yelled for him to be traded out of frustration on his "backcheck" last night.
Yeah I think we all would do that trade. At this point, I'd trade him for Petr Nedved in his prime.

Gaborik is totally useless these days.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What? Why were they so tense and nervous last night when THEY controlled their destiny?
A great mystery of the season along with how they beat the Flyers and the Bruins back to back. Even stranger was the crowd really didn't turn on the team last night - boos yes - but very short lived.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What? Why were they so tense and nervous last night when THEY controlled their destiny?
Because it was a classic letdown game after the way they won against Boston and how Callahan got hurt. That plus the fact that they SUCK against Atlanta.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

On one hand I ****ing hate this and i'm furious.

On the other hand i'm nervous as **** and really want this team to the make the playoffs.

On my tiny third hand, however, if the team comes out and plays strong this has the potential to be one of the greatest wins of post-lockout Rangers history, or one of the most heartbreaking losses. I hate the feeling that we can miss the POs but can't help but be excited.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the Rangers lose tomorrow they'll end up with the 12th pick. If they win and still miss, they could possibly end up with pick 14. Crappy.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Balej20*

It actually all comes down to Carolina.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
A great mystery of the season along with how they beat the Flyers and the Bruins back to back. Even stranger was the crowd really didn't turn on the team last night - boos yes - but very short lived.
The energy in the building, i think was one of hope. We're a bunch of jaded arseholes, but in the end, we want to see them pull it off.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
It actually all comes down to Carolina.
and buffalo. let's just worry about getting to 93 points and let the rest happen.

i think i'm going to get super drunk tonight so i can be hungover and desensitize the nervousness of tomorrow's game.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:53 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
i think this whole situation proves the nhl needs to change the points system we are 2-2 against carolina but they have the tiebreaker because they are 2-0-2 against us. they will win the head to head because they lost. this needs to change imo.
....I kinda find it funny any fan of the best shootout team in the NHL would criticize the point system or the tie breakers at all. First tie breaker is regulation wins anyway, which is how it should be. Considering your 9 shootout wins could be what gets your team into the playoffs, I think it's unreasonable to disagree with the current system.

Now forgive me for not going back and looking at your schedule, but if those losses were shootout losses or even just one of them then it is most definitely fair using logic (NHL emphasizing nonshootout wins, see: ROW).

Hope the Devils win, but wont be devestated one way or another. Want the best pick possible for the Devs, plus my old man would be furious to see the Rangers kept out on the last day again.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
HockeyBurd*

Doesn't really come down to this, does it? Seemed more like it came down to yesterday. If all goes perfectly, it'll probably come down to Carolina at Tampa... a team playing mediocre hockey with nothing to play for and every reason to make sure their guys stay healthy. As for Atlanta... while the Rangers matchup with the Thrashers isn't favorable at all, the matchup for Carolina is quite perfect. I'm sure Carolina won all or most of their games with Atlanta.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
....I kinda find it funny any fan of the best shootout team in the NHL would criticize the point system or the tie breakers at all. First tie breaker is regulation wins anyway, which is how it should be. Considering your 9 shootout wins could be what gets your team into the playoffs, I think it's unreasonable to disagree with the current system.

Now forgive me for not going back and looking at your schedule, but if those losses were shootout losses or even just one of them then it is most definitely fair using logic (NHL emphasizing nonshootout wins, see: ROW).

Hope the Devils win, but wont be devestated one way or another. Want the best pick possible for the Devs, plus my old man would be furious to see the Rangers kept out on the last day again.
im not saying i dont like the shootout. im saying i dont want loser points. big difference. as i said before a team can go 0-0-82 and still have 82 points without 1 win.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

We get points for WINNING the skills competition. Carolina has 11 points for LOSING.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
im not saying i dont like the shootout. im saying i dont want loser points. big difference. as i said before a team can go 0-0-82 and still have 82 points without 1 win.
I understand, but the problem is (imo) you cant have the difference between a win in a shootout and a loss being 2 points. That puts a huge amount of weight in the shootout, which goes against the team mentality of the game.

IF the NHL wants to get crazy and adopt something like: 3 pts for overtime/regulation win, 2 pts for shootout win, and 1 pt for loss in OT or S/O, that would be interesting. Yes, i know that will never happen.

EDIT: And dude above me, your wrong. Carolina has 5 pts for "losing" the skills competition, dont know how you did that math.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I understand, but the problem is (imo) you cant have the difference between a win in a shootout and a loss being 2 points. That puts a huge amount of weight in the shootout, which goes against the team mentality of the game.

IF the NHL wants to get crazy and adopt something like: 3 pts for overtime/regulation win, 2 pts for shootout win, and 1 pt for loss in OT or S/O, that would be interesting. Yes, i know that will never happen.
the shootout itself goes against the team mentality of the game so who cares if the point system does. i dont think a whole new system has to be adopted, just dont give out points for any sort of loss.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

If it meant getting rid of 3 point games I would more than happily go back to having tie games. No loser point in overtime, 1-1 points for a tie.

We are good at the shootout but I won't let that outweigh the travesty that is a loser point, in any regard. In what other professional sport anywhere are you awarded for a loss? Losing is something that is intended to be avoided, not rewarded.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I've always been a fan of
3 points regulation/ot win
2 points shootout win
1 point shootout loss
0 points regulation/ot loss

It'll never be adopted though.

This would be how the standings would look:
Team GP W SOW SOL L PTS Points Ahead of 9th
y - Washington 81 43 5 6 27 145 28
x - Philadelphia 80 43 3 7 27 142 25
y - Boston 80 43 2 6 29 139 22
x - Pittsburgh 80 38 9 3 30 135 18
x - Tampa Bay 80 38 6 6 30 132 15
x - Montreal 81 40 3 3 35 129 12
NY Rangers 81 34 9 3 35 123 6
Buffalo 80 36 5 1 38 119 2

Team GP W SOW SOL L PTS Points Behind of 8th
Carolina 80 34 5 5 36 117 -2
e - Toronto 81 32 5 6 38 112 -7
e - New Jersey 80 34 3 2 41 110 -9
e - Atlanta 80 29 5 7 39 104 -15
e - Ottawa 81 30 2 5 44 99 -20
e - NY Islanders 80 26 4 5 45 91 -28
e - Florida 80 25 4 7 44 90 -29

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-08-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old
04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
If it meant getting rid of 3 point games I would more than happily go back to having tie games. No loser point in overtime, 1-1 points for a tie.

We are good at the shootout but I won't let that outweigh the travesty that is a loser point, in any regard. In what other professional sport anywhere are you awarded for a loss? Losing is something that is intended to be avoided, not rewarded.
i hate the loser point, but i would much rather see a shootout decide a game than a tie.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:

I get what you guys are saying, but again a shootout being the differnce between 2 points and 0 is a bit ridiculous and puts way too much emphasis on a skills competition. If I had it my way they would either move to a 4 on 4 10 minute OT, no points for loss and 1 for tie or adopt a 3 point system (like DubiSnacks said, that's the point breakdown I meant to give).

Old
04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I've always been a fan of
3 points regulation/ot win
2 points shootout win
1 point shootout loss
0 points regulation/ot loss

It'll never be adopted though.
...with good reason. The average fan has enough difficulty understanding the standings as it is. Let's not make it MORE complicated for goodness sakes.

For some reason every other sports league is fine with a simple Wins/Losses/Pct formula, but the NHL has to make it complicated.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:23 PM
DavidL

You are a sad being that you hate another team more than for your team to win the biggest prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Nothing would give me more pleasure then to go into tomorrow knowing we can make the playoffs if we win, and then kill the Debbies something like 6-1.

But regardless of what Carolina does the next two games, you know if the Devils win - they will credit themselves for knocking the Rangers out of the playoffs if they do. Especially the fans. I expect nothing less.

Even if Carolina winds up making the playoffs i hope we kick the **** out the Devils.

Its simple, either well know if we need help from Tampa, or have already gotten it from Atlanta. The approach to this game is going to be the same. If the Rangers arent ready for this one and shock us again with a bewilderingly lame performance i think i just might flip out and cause a scene in my household. If the Devils win in any fashion and prevent the Rangers from making it later that night, i will probably stare at the wall or tv screen for about 3 hours before i instantaneously combust into flames.

I hate the Devils with such a deep, rooted passionate disdain - that if they even win a preseason game it bothers me. If they actually send us packing with the Rangers knowing they can get in if they win - i just dont know how ill be able to handle that emotionally, and maybe even physically. There is no other contest, no game or meeting, no match or scrimmage that I take more seriously then a Devils / Rangers game. Nothing comes close. MY beloved Yankees could be in game 7 of the world series, my NY Football Giants could be 4th and goal with 1 second left needing a touchdown to win the super bowl. Small potatoes for me. THATS HOW MUCH I ****ING DETEST THEM.

For the sake of HBNYC, Rangers. Please. Win.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:23 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
...with good reason. The average fan has enough difficulty understanding the standings as it is. Let's not make it MORE complicated for goodness sakes.

For some reason every other sports league is fine with a simple Wins/Losses/Pct formula, but the NHL has to make it complicated.
i was just about to say we are making this too difficult. how about 2 points for a win 0 points for a loss. simple

Closed Thread