HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Spezza be that centre?

Old
04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
First off: This notion that "If Bryan Murray wanted Kadri, he wouldn't have told Burke", is in my opinion, not true. The Leafs were 2 spots ahead of Ottawa. If Murray did want Kadri, then he did the right thing in talking to Burke. If Burke didn't say "we're taking him", I think you might have seen some dialogue regarding a trade. However, as it stands right now, all we have is Ottawa and Toronto fans bickering, saying "lulz my GM outsmarted your GM!11!". Who cares, the Leafs have Kadri, Ottawa has Cowen, and both parties seem to be pretty happy with that.

Secondly, this bashing of Spezza is HILOLARIOUS. The Leafs haven't had a centre who is comparable to Spezza since Sundin. Spezza would be far and away our best forwared, and a top producer on most teams in the league. This notion that he's a giveaway machine is just hilarious. Good players give up the puck, and it's because they're willing to try something and be creative. I'd hate to look up Kadri's giveaway stats after a season, because I think they would be horrendous.

Spezza isn't getting dealt. The Leafs have the pieces to acquire him, but wouldn't want to give them up, so he won't be coming to Toronto, even if Murray was to try to deal him (which he's not).

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
at this logic. That's like saying that Ryan Ellis, de Haan, Rundblad, and Kreider aren't as good as Tomas Vincour, Markus Kruger, and Eric Wellwood because they haven't played in the NHL yet.
Yes, Schenn a 5th pick makes the team the 1st time through and impresses, but a stud former #1 consideration can't make a Sens team even as a #7 dman. And while Kadri is playing in the NHL and Cowen nowhere to be seen, some fools are making stuff up like Murray railroaded Burke into drafting Kadri so that he could take Cowen -- brilliant!

Last edited by Superstar: 04-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Yes, Schenn a 5th pick makes the team the 1st time through and impresses, but a stud former #1 consideration can't make a Sens team even as a #7 dman. And while Kadri is playing in the NHL and Cowen nowhere to be seen, some fools are making stuff up like Murray railroaded Burke into drafting Kadri so that he could take Cowen -- brilliant!
All you have to do is watch Kadri play in junior and on the Marlies to see the part of Kadri's game that makes him into what I would call a Burke type of player. We got who we wanted in that draft.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Srsly

It's amazing how blinded both sides can be regarding the Sens and the Leafs. Saying the Sens wouldn't want Kadri is as ridiculous as saying Spezza wouldn't be a good addition to the Leafs.

The Sens need forwards pretty badly and someone who's shown the potential that Kadri has is definitely someone they'd consider. Particularly since he's shown he can perform on the wing as well as Centre position and despite signing Da Costa(nice signing btw) the Sens still seem a little weak at the moment and definitely have room to expand.

The Leafs however have Tyler Bozak playing between Phil Kessel and Jeffery Lupul and despite the emergence of Grabo as a shockingly productive centre through unexpected chemistry with Mac and Kuleman, the leafs definitely need someone to fill the void and this season has shown that Bozak just isn't quite what they're looking for(at least not yet). This isn't even touching on the fact that if Giguere isn't resigned the Leafs could use the veteran leadership as well.

That being said I can't see Kadri for Spezza being a deal that most gms wouldn't consider an insult(then again when I look at the returns for Fisher and Kovalev Murray might consider it a great deal) so the Leafs would actually have to offer even more. Prospects are amazing but they're not quite on par with proven centres as far as value goes since they're a far bigger gamble than most people seem to realize.We've been in rebuild mode so long that a lot of us have simply adapted a younger the better philosophy while ignoring any other variables.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
If you're willing to trade two 1sts and a 2nd for 5 years of Kessel at 5.5, you'd have to be a complete idiot to not want to trade Kadri for 4 years of Spezza, even at 7 million.

I'm also baffled by suggestions that Spezza isn't a good fit for a first line center here. What exactly do you want? Mike Richards? Jonathan Toews? It's not happening. If all it takes to get Spezza is Kadri going back the other way then do it and bury Komisarek in the minors if you have to.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
If you're willing to trade two 1sts and a 2nd for 5 years of Kessel at 5.5, you'd have to be a complete idiot to not want to trade Kadri for 4 years of Spezza, even at 7 million.

I'm also baffled by suggestions that Spezza isn't a good fit for a first line center here. What exactly do you want? Mike Richards? Jonathan Toews? It's not happening. If all it takes to get Spezza is Kadri going back the other way then do it and bury Komisarek in the minors if you have to.
Why are you so upset that some of us don't want Spezza? Get over it

You're talking like teams are lined up to get a chance at him. That's just not the case. He is good but I don't think he's worth 7 million like many other people in hockey.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
lol are you guys for real? Kadri for Spezza would be a steal for the Leafs, I'd take that and run ten times out of ten, and I'm a big Kadri fan. If Spezza had played with Philly or Colorado or some team not considered a 'rival' for his career to this point, you'd be all over this.

Obviously Ottawa would never do it; I'm just saying.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
Heatley has 25 goals this year...Spezza has 21 in almost 20 less games, and he also plays on the PK, and is younger.

I'd take Spezza. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.
he was asking about Michleak (sp?) not Spezza

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
They do realize that Murray would have to disclose who he's going to draft before a trade would go down. He can't make a trade on draft day and then decide to draft a different player than the one he discloses to the team he's trading with. It would be an invalid selection.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

isn't it about time this thread be closed? All i can see is utter nonsense and absolutely nothing related to the topic of the thread at all.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
isn't it about time this thread be closed? All i can see is utter nonsense and absolutely nothing related to the topic of the thread at all.
I think the thread is mostly on track. Its about Spezza and whether we should be after him or not, what he would be worth to us. Don't really care about the Ottawa perspective, it is on the Leaf board. Some people just get real excited during a discussion like somehow the sharing of ideas and different concepts is a terrible thing.

Old
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Not really interested in Spezza myself, I would rather develop our own players.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Snipeshow

Wait, you some of you wouldn't move Kadri for Spezza?

That's laughable.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote