HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why do we do this?

Old
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
allstar3970

vCash: 500
Why do we do this?

I'm wondering what is with the strange view of this team around here?

There's this prevailing attitude that unless you lose by one goal in a close fought matchup then the reason was a lack of effort and unpreparedness. This is what's said after pretty much every loss. I know a vast majority of us have played sports competitively and been blown out with a team trying thats hardest. I just think more often with a loss we're just outplayed which is what happens when you don't have the most talented team in the world.

Same goes for individual players. Nobody has a down year or a slump around here, it's lack of effort, not caring, no hustle or all 3. what gives us the need to add this extra narrative to every single game and moment? Mind you I admit to being guilty of all of this too.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I'm wondering what is with the strange view of this team around here?

There's this prevailing attitude that unless you lose by one goal in a close fought matchup then the reason was a lack of effort and unpreparedness. This is what's said after pretty much every loss. I know a vast majority of us have played sports competitively and been blown out with a team trying thats hardest. I just think more often with a loss we're just outplayed which is what happens when you don't have the most talented team in the world.

Same goes for individual players. Nobody has a down year or a slump around here, it's lack of effort, not caring, no hustle or all 3. what gives us the need to add this extra narrative to every single game and moment? Mind you I admit to being guilty of all of this too.
pretty much agree...we've only been blown out lke twice this year...sadly they are games that have really mattered, but it is what it is. im pretty happy with the way this season has gone, even if we miss the playoffs.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
pretty much agree...we've only been blown out lke twice this year...sadly they are games that have really mattered, but it is what it is. im pretty happy with the way this season has gone, even if we miss the playoffs.
there are so many good things. I think that's why it pisses so many people off that the same outcome may occur.

Regardless I think the team is going in the right direction

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

because every player shows flashes of brilliance where it seems like they are unstoppable and then the next game they look like doo doo butter.

Plus a player who's skating as hard as he can, hitting, blocking shots, fighting along the boards for the puck, etc is can more visibly been seen to be working hard.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
because every player shows flashes of brilliance where it seems like they are unstoppable and then the next game they look like doo doo butter.

Plus a player who's skating as hard as he can, hitting, blocking shots, fighting along the boards for the puck, etc is can more visibly been seen to be working hard.
My contention is a team getting blown out 5-0 can easily look like they're "not trying out there" but most of the time I'd doubt that's the case.

The inconstancy is the curse of being a middle of the pack team. Some days you look great, some days you look bad.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
My contention is a team getting blown out 5-0 can easily look like they're "not trying out there" but most of the time I'd doubt that's the case.

The inconstancy is the curse of being a middle of the pack team. Some days you look great, some days you look bad.
Well it's the same concept. The team shows flashes of brilliance, so when they get destroyed they look like they aren't playing up to their full potential. If they don't look like they're really battling and such, they look like they aren't trying on that night.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Sorry but I dont look at this season as a success one ****ing bit if we dont make the playoffs. Not one ****ing bit. So ****ing naive. 16 other teams can call it a success, but we can't unless we're a part of that 16.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

They have trouble with teams that are fast/quick. So much so that they get a sort of glazed look and seem to be not trying when in truth they just don't know what to do about it.

Atlanta
Islanders
Habs
devs
etc

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 04-09-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: teams
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Agree for THIS year. Next year I will likely be a bit more pissed off if this continues but I'll also have some expectation. Then again who knows how the summer goes maybe I won't have any again and allow myself to be surprised. (fooling yoursefl into believing the team sucks and watch it be average with a growing nucleus of youth leading to warranted expectation of future success the new way to enjoy the Rangers as opposed to thinking they are good now and in the future or just hating the team)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Sorry but I dont look at this season as a success one ****ing bit if we dont make the playoffs. Not one ****ing bit. So ****ing naive. 16 other teams can call it a success, but we can't unless we're a part of that 16.
Yea how is this season a success. Sather has had 11-12 years at the helm of this team and can't even put together a playoff contender. Complete and utter failure.

I'm assuming the OP is a younish, or newish, fan and hasn't had to suffer through the wrecking ball that has been Sather's tenure.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote