HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very high hopes for these Islanders...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2011, 09:33 PM
  #1
Islanders4Cups
Registered User
 
Islanders4Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston, MA USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Very high hopes for these Islanders...

I just want to say that this Islander team is remarkable. They will stand out and be remembered especially if they go where I think they will be going pretty soon, like the Islanders of the mid 70's.

The Islanders played another highly motivated playoff team tonight who were trying to clinch home ice in the first round dead even. The Islanders were a bit unlucky hitting two posts and had the game tying a goal incorrectly taken away by the refs. Their defense consisted of Martinek, Wishart, Reese, Katic, OHLer Doornbosh, and Hamonic who tied the game anyway within the last minute. They just missed the winning goal by a second.

The previous game on the road (against one of the best teams in the league) they played the Bruins even with a college defenseman Capanale.

This team overcame any shortcomings these last two nights and since December by playing with grit and heart.

If this team can get healthy, with the assets they have, they will be better next season with the experience from this season alone. When adding experienced defense and an improved the power play, you have to consider them contenders.

The GM has shown he has the ability to get emerging world class players. The fans have shown they can fill the building when the there is an exciting team. All that is left is for the owner to do his job and build something that will last and stay out of hockey decisions.

This is a team on the rise and has a bright future and unlike the team across the river, has heart.

Lets Go Islanders!!!

Islanders4Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:39 PM
  #2
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups View Post
I just want to say that this Islander team is remarkable. They will stand out and be remembered especially if they go where I think they will be going pretty soon, like the Islanders of the mid 70's.

The Islanders played another highly motivated playoff team tonight who were trying to clinch home ice in the first round dead even. The Islanders were a bit unlucky hitting two posts and had the game tying a goal incorrectly taken away by the refs. Their defense consisted of Martinek, Wishart, Reese, Katic, OHLer Doornbosh, and Hamonic who tied the game anyway within the last minute. They just missed the winning goal by a second.

The previous game on the road (against one of the best teams in the league) they played the Bruins even with a college defenseman Capanale.

This team overcame any shortcomings these last two nights and since December by playing with grit and heart.

If this team can get healthy, with the assets they have, they will be better next season with the experience from this season alone. When adding experienced defense and an improved the power play, you have to consider them contenders.

The GM has shown he has the ability to get emerging world class players. The fans have shown they can fill the building when the there is an exciting team. All that is left is for the owner to do his job and build something that will last and stay out of hockey decisions.

This is a team on the rise and has a bright future and unlike the team across the river, has heart.

Lets Go Islanders!!!
Remarkable teams do it when it counts and actually make the playoffs.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
  #3
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Remarkable teams do it when it counts and actually make the playoffs.
This is true. Let's call it pre-remarkable then.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
  #4
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
This is true. Let's call it pre-remarkable then.
OK.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:50 PM
  #5
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500


High hopes, indeed. Hopes tend to be for the future.

I think we're worthy of notice and attention; are the Islanders not anything but unusual? Remarkable seems to be dead on the errr...mark. (Not all good, but definitely looking up with a distinctly different feel from much of the recent past.)

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
  #6
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Remarkable teams do it when it counts and actually make the playoffs.
To be fair they have been doing it when it counts, they just started too late!

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  #7
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
i'm optimistic as well....but I still think there's a long way to go. It's just such a huge jump from where they are to even 8th in the conference. They need Bailey to emerge, Okposo to be better and at least ONE more forward who can play (I'm hoping one of Niederreiter, Landeskog or Petrov can fill that role next year).

Plus, they need ONE more solid dman plus some HEALTH (which may be as much voodoo as it is luck or training)

I think Tavares will take another step next year. I expect KO to be much better. I think Hamonic/MacD/Streit will be fantastic and Montoya's looked really impressive this year, along with Poulin.

So there's a lot to be happy about, a lot to look forward to - for the first time in a very long time.

I haven't been this optimistic about the team since Pierre Turgeon played. And even then, I really never liked the overall roster all that much!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
  #8
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
DP is gonna be named starter, we have a coaching decision to make and we still have players we need to bing back. We can take a HUGE step forward or dance in mediocrity or misery all next year.

I'm VERY hopeful but the realist/skeptic has me worried it's the 2011 equivalent of 2001-2's changes. I am hoping Snow can MAKE US respect him this summer.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
  #9
Islanders4Cups
Registered User
 
Islanders4Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston, MA USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Remarkable teams do it when it counts and actually make the playoffs.
There were several very unremarkable Islander teams that have made the playoffs over the last few years and I would take this team over most of them. These Islanders are on a journey and have given us hope that they will reach their goals much like the teams of the 70's, as opposed to other Islander teams that were just squeaking in without any hope of getting better.

For example, who would you rather have, the first player at his 2007 level (the last time the Islanders went to the playoffs) or the current player?

Alexei Yashin or John Tavares?
Jason Blake or Michael Grabner?
Miro Satan or Matt Moulson?
Ryan Smyth or Frans Nielsen?
Mike Sillenger or Josh Bailey?
Victor Kozlov or Kyle Okposo?
Trent Hunter or Blake Comeau?
Shawn Bates or PA Parenteau?
Aaron Asham or Matt Martin?
Richard Park or Zenon Konopka?
Randy Robitaille or Jesse Joensuu?
Andy Hilbert or Michael Haley?
Chris Simon or Trevor Gillies?

In most cases I would take the 2010-11 player over the playoff team player of 2006/7 which squeaked into the playoffs and lost in 5 games to Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs.

The 2006/7 team had a better defense and this years team had injuries that decimated their chances of making a run this year.

I know it's all speculation what the Islanders will look like next season. However, my optimism was not that high after the 2007 season and another playoff disappointment with little hope that the prospects we owned then could bring better results anytime soon.

Islanders4Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
  #10
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups View Post
There were several very unremarkable Islander teams that have made the playoffs over the last few years and I would take this team over most of them. These Islanders are on a journey and have given us hope that they will reach their goals much like the teams of the 70's, as opposed to other Islander teams that were just squeaking in without any hope of getting better.

For example, who would you rather have, the first player at his 2007 level (the last time the Islanders went to the playoffs) or the current player?

Alexei Yashin or John Tavares?
Jason Blake or Michael Grabner?
Miro Satan or Matt Moulson?
Ryan Smyth or Frans Nielsen?
Mike Sillenger or Josh Bailey?
Victor Kozlov or Kyle Okposo?
Trent Hunter or Blake Comeau?
Shawn Bates or PA Parenteau?
Aaron Asham or Matt Martin?
Richard Park or Zenon Konopka?
Randy Robitaille or Jesse Joensuu?
Andy Hilbert or Michael Haley?
Chris Simon or Trevor Gillies?

In most cases I would take the 2010-11 player over the playoff team player of 2006/7 which squeaked into the playoffs and lost in 5 games to Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs.

The 2006/7 team had a better defense and this years team had injuries that decimated their chances of making a run this year.

I know it's all speculation what the Islanders will look like next season. However, my optimism was not that high after the 2007 season and another playoff disappointment with little hope that the prospects we owned then could bring better results anytime soon.
DiPietro or Montoya?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
  #11
Islanders4Cups
Registered User
 
Islanders4Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston, MA USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
DiPietro or Montoya?
Well if we go there,

it's DP (who got hurt) or DP now?
Dubie or Montoya?
Mike Dunham or Poulin?

Ted Nolan or Capo? Interesting obviously TN but I doubt TN would have had the same results without any veterans and this group of youngsters.

Garth Snow then or Garth Snow now?

Charles Wang or the silent type Charles Wang now?

Islanders4Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
  #12
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
I'm just going to say this, I am so optimistic about next season that me and a couple friends invested in seasons for next year. If that doesn't mean I believe than I don't know what does.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
  #13
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'm just going to say this, I am so optimistic about next season that me and a couple friends invested in seasons for next year. If that doesn't mean I believe than I don't know what does.



Kicking the tires, seeing what's out there in my field at the moment. Nothing in the NY area at the present, but if I were to end up back there, that's the first thing I'm doing.

Ok, maybe I'd let my parents know I was back, but definitely the second thing I would do.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:30 AM
  #14
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
I think regardless of who is added via trade/draft/UFA, we should be a better team next year given Streit returns and the natural development of our young players, which is most of our team. I would like to see Nino brought over to either play with Bailey and Comeau, or Tavares and Moulson if we can't lure in a UFA for that line.

Obviously I would love to add a veteran playmaker for the JT line, and a quality top-4 defender, but as long as we are able to add at least one solid defenseman this upcoming offseason, I think we will have a definite shot at the playoffs next season as long as the overall health of the team holds up.

Perfect world scenario:
- Vinny Prospal; UFA
- Christian Ehrhoff; UFA
- Ryan Strome; Draft

Let's get the season started.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:35 AM
  #15
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Can't be optimistic with DP hangin' around. To me, the rebuild gets held up until he either accepts a PERMANENT backup position or retires or is bought out. As long as he insists on competing for the no. 1 job, we're just treading water. This team has shown it plays VASTLY different in front of him as opposed to anyone else. My wish is he retires or gets bought out(don't care about the cap hit, that's how much I want him off this team), but I know neither one's gonna happen. The DP problem is one we're gonna have to deal with for quite some time, sadly.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
  #16
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,061
vCash: 500
It's definitely true that DiPietro is holding the franchise back. However, even when he does get injured, the 3rd string guy you're bringing up isn't your typical AHL fodder. It's actually a very good goalie prospect who has already played well in the NHL.

Hopefully this summer they sit down with him and tell him he's going to be the backup. It's the only possible way that he can stay in the lineup. It would be one thing if he was still performing great, but just couldn't stay on the ice. It's another when he is no longer a good goalie and he still can't stay healthy.

I don't understand sports owners here and I never will. Yeah you're paying him a lot of $, so you want to get the most out of an injured/disappointing player. But if they've proved that they are no longer the player they once were and you still have to pay them, doesn't it make more sense to just change their role so you limit the possible damage they'll do to the team? You have to pay him no matter what. So pay him not to be a detriment.

2021 really is the only negative thing I can say about this team.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:49 AM
  #17
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
2021 really is the only negative thing I can say about this team.
..... and wang






..... and the building situation

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:13 PM
  #18
TeamKidd
Registered User
 
TeamKidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Ok so this may be strange to say...and i know this team has played well....and by and large the FWD core is going to be the same going into next year, but the back end is going to look substantially different next year.

the two questions i have are how does the re-integration of streit, mottau and eaton affect our defense? and how does the DP/montoya duo play out? do they forcefeed DP in there? Does Montoya regress? Both questions will play a pivital role in how next year plays out.

Streit-Martinek
Hamonic-AMAC
Eaton-Mottau
Jurcina-Hillen
??

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
  #19
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's definitely true that DiPietro is holding the franchise back. However, even when he does get injured, the 3rd string guy you're bringing up isn't your typical AHL fodder. It's actually a very good goalie prospect who has already played well in the NHL.

Hopefully this summer they sit down with him and tell him he's going to be the backup. It's the only possible way that he can stay in the lineup. It would be one thing if he was still performing great, but just couldn't stay on the ice. It's another when he is no longer a good goalie and he still can't stay healthy.

I don't understand sports owners here and I never will. Yeah you're paying him a lot of $, so you want to get the most out of an injured/disappointing player. But if they've proved that they are no longer the player they once were and you still have to pay them, doesn't it make more sense to just change their role so you limit the possible damage they'll do to the team? You have to pay him no matter what. So pay him not to be a detriment.

2021 really is the only negative thing I can say about this team.
I'm no psychic, but I think it's a pretty smart bet that Poulin outplays DP in preseason.....

In years past, the Islanders have 'held his spot' both figuratively and literally, and the procession of goalies signed shows us exactly how much a new #1 is needed: they went from Dubielewicz as backup (who, if I recall, did not 'get along' with DP by some sources, but that's a whole different series of speculations - not making it up, seen it mentioned more than once), to figuring out they needed 2 goalies. They then grab Biron & MacDonald, DP tries to come back again and the season goes nowhere but the draft. They see that they need a guy who can successfully play #1 minutes and get Dwayne Roloson with DP waiting in the wings again, and since, injuries have at least shown us that the team has a chance to win more with Montoya and Poulin while Nilsson grows in Europe, hopefully to challenge stateside in 2012.

Back to point, Poulin will likely play well enough to make the argument to stick with the big club. Now the question becomes do they 'keep him in the oven' and give DP one final chance, taking the likelihood of DP's eventual failure as an opportunity to tune the pipeline up one last year before swinging for the fences, or do they give the team the chance to compete immediately?

I was a DP supporter for years, but logic tells me his chances of coming back from everything are zero.

As for the hopes for the team, for once I can say "what isn't there is on it's way or close" without feeling like I'm deluding myself. I just need to see management make a gesture that proves a greater concern with winning games and competing for the Stanley Cup than holding onto the dead hope that it will be Rick DiPietro to lead them there.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
  #20
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
the two questions i have are how does the re-integration of streit, mottau and eaton affect our defense?
Can't say for sure, but I have hopes.....

My guess is that our D going into preseason is Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald, Jurcina, Eaton, Mottau - possibly a tier 2 UFA - then you have Gervais, Reese, Hillen & Wishart - if all are qualified. I'm iffy on whether Martinek comes back.

The only ones who are 'safe' in knowing they're starting in the NHL next year are Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald (if healthy), Jurcina and Eaton. Mottau didn't really impress me enough to assume he's earned top-6 minutes, so to me, it's really between Hillen, Wishart, and whoever they wind up signing. If healthy, It'll be a huge upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
and how does the DP/montoya duo play out? do they forcefeed DP in there? Does Montoya regress?
Whether or not Montoya regresses or not, it'll likely be Montoya & Poulin as the tandem for at least part of the season, whether they try to jam DiPietro into the rotation or not. If they do sign another NHL goalie, we'll have something to cheer for, since it means Poulin isn't getting rushed and DP isn't the only insurance if Montoya regresses or gets injured.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
  #21
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User
 
OrangeZebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups View Post
For example, who would you rather have, the first player at his 2007 level (the last time the Islanders went to the playoffs) or the current player?

Alexei Yashin or John Tavares?
Jason Blake or Michael Grabner?
Miro Satan or Matt Moulson?
Ryan Smyth or Frans Nielsen ? Even
Mike Sillenger or Josh Bailey?
Victor Kozlov or Kyle Okposo?
Trent Hunter or Blake Comeau?
Shawn Bates or PA Parenteau?
Aaron Asham or Matt Martin?
Richard Park or Zenon Konopka?
Randy Robitaille or Jesse Joensuu?
Andy Hilbert or Michael Haley?
Chris Simon or Trevor Gillies? Even
The 2006-07 season would have been much better, as in the 6th or 7th seed if DiPi hadn't been injured

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
  #22
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
The 2006-07 season would have been much better, as in the 6th or 7th seed if DiPi hadn't been injured
I'd still go with today's roster (sans DP); the 2007 roster had the future working against them. With the 2011 Islanders, I feel like time's on our side.

Injuries and shoddy goaltending aside, the team's moving forward. Kidnap the Hurricane's trainers and loan DP to the KHL. Done.

(ps- unfortunately, It'll never happen.)

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:40 PM
  #23
Islanderfan72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Makes me sick to think of all the good stories this team has, grabner, moulson, tavares, okie, montoya, hamonic.................and then it all goes away when I remember dp is here for 10 more years..................

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:46 PM
  #24
Darth Bangkok
Registered User
 
Darth Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
Hope. Its all we have.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:57 PM
  #25
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Islanders will be battling for home ice advantage next season. Tavares will get 80+ points. It's exciting. The turnaround we all saw this year makes me want October to get here fast.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.