HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buying Jerseys

Old
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Buying Jerseys

Buddy of mine says he has hookups and can get jerseys for cheap. Any pointers on how to tell if jerseys are real/fake and if fake, are they worth it?

Any recommendations on what to get? It's definately gonna be a Spezza one, but should i get a ccm one? Reebok? Alternate?
I'm leaning on alternate ccm atm.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:46 PM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

Usually the easiest ways to tell are the little things: logo is slightly bigger/smaller, font is a bit off, not centered, material used... the biggest tell, I find, is that if there's a fight strap it's more than likely a fake. That's not to say it's a bad thing, I bought a Tavares fake (didn't know it at the time) and it's every bit as good as an authentic.

I'd recommend a Reebok home, but I'm partial to the red. The CCM alternate was the one with the 3D Senator and the black swoop down the middle, right?

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Buddy of mine says he has hookups and can get jerseys for cheap. Any pointers on how to tell if jerseys are real/fake and if fake, are they worth it?

Any recommendations on what to get? It's definately gonna be a Spezza one, but should i get a ccm one? Reebok? Alternate?
I'm leaning on alternate ccm atm.
They are fake. Anyone that claims that they "have hookups and can get jerseys for cheap" are, and I'd say this with 99.9999% accuracy, just selling the fake chinese knockoffs.

I've had the "privilege" (sarcasm) of dealing with RBK/CCM Canada for years now (managed a store with a RBK account), and I can tell you that NOBODY in that company has "hookups". Even the main Ontario rep doesn't get product at cost, I can't imagine how anyone else would. RBK are owned by Adidas, and they are a very cheap-ass company when it comes to their product and employee benefits.

Best way to know if they are fake is to remember that RBK does NOT put names/numbers on their pro jerseys. Ever. So if the guy is saying he has a hookup "with Rbk" and can get player jerseys, you know they're 1000% fake. 10000% fake, even.

Unless you actually believe him... in that case, I have some awesome speakers for sale. Meet me in the Bayshore Shopping Center parking lot, I'll be the guy in the white van at the back.
Bring cash.

If you have any Q's about fake/real jerseys though, let me know. I'm an expert. Even Andy Sutton thinks so.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
great1

Here is a guide,

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2412

Chances are good, if the price is too cheap then it's too good to be true.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:04 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
Here is a guide,

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2412

Chances are good, if the price is too cheap then it's too good to be true.
That's a really good site.

Lots of warning signs in the pictures provided... the "bubbly" numbers, bad patches, the colour on the face of the"blackhawk" is off, the fight strap not being reinforced... good examples.

The one thing I've noticed about almost every Sens fake out there is that they can't seem to get the right shade of red on the main jersey color. They all look way darker than they should be.

I've also seen some hilarious screw-ups. A Sens jersey with Washington Capitals-style font on the back. Wrong colors on the cresting. Literally, I've seen one where the front logo was MIRRORED (the "Senator" logo was facing left, instead of right).

Old
04-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
They are fake. Anyone that claims that they "have hookups and can get jerseys for cheap" are, and I'd say this with 99.9999% accuracy, just selling the fake chinese knockoffs.

I've had the "privilege" (sarcasm) of dealing with RBK/CCM Canada for years now (managed a store with a RBK account), and I can tell you that NOBODY in that company has "hookups". Even the main Ontario rep doesn't get product at cost, I can't imagine how anyone else would. RBK are owned by Adidas, and they are a very cheap-ass company when it comes to their product and employee benefits.

Best way to know if they are fake is to remember that RBK does NOT put names/numbers on their pro jerseys. Ever. So if the guy is saying he has a hookup "with Rbk" and can get player jerseys, you know they're 1000% fake. 10000% fake, even.

Unless you actually believe him... in that case, I have some awesome speakers for sale. Meet me in the Bayshore Shopping Center parking lot, I'll be the guy in the white van at the back.
Bring cash.

If you have any Q's about fake/real jerseys though, let me know. I'm an expert. Even Andy Sutton thinks so.
so would that mean that the name/number jerseys being sold at Sports Experts and such had the player's info stitched/ironed on at the store itself? or is the whole jersey a replica?

Keeping Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

Sports Experts does heat press with stitching around it just for the look. These are not the EDGE sweaters. Official sweaters have numbered sizing, not S, M, L etc. Also the shoulder patches are embroidered, not quill appliqué. I have several replica RBKs pro-stitched from The Clubhouse. If you're not actually playing hockey in these things then the replicas are fine, in my opinion. Wait for the Heritage black sweater though!

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Ask what size it is... because the real jerseys always say M L XL etc, while fakes often are 48, 50, 52 etc

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:12 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthensth View Post
so would that mean that the name/number jerseys being sold at Sports Experts and such had the player's info stitched/ironed on at the store itself? or is the whole jersey a replica?
As far as I know, Sports Experts doesn't sell PRO jerseys, they only sell replicas. Maybe they changed their policy as of this year, but last I checked they only had the pro-stitched replicas.

All of the actual stitched jerseys they DO carry (pro-stitched reps, the $200+ ones), they don't do the stitching on-site, they're not set up for it. They order the jerseys blank from RBK, and have them sent to a cresting house in the west end of Ottawa to have the name/numbers stitched on. All the properly-stitched jerseys are done by a 3rd party.
RBK has nothing to do with jersey stitching, and honestly couldn't care less. In fact, their careless attitude for their product is one of the main reason that there is a huge flood of fake jerseys in North America right now, they just can't be bothered to police their own trademarks/copyrights.

The $169 jerseys you find in various stores around town are the only jerseys that RBK crests themselves, which I believe someone else brought up... they're the ones that are 1-layer of twill with a fake 2nd layer of color screened on over it.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 04-09-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old
04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Ask what size it is... because the real jerseys always say M L XL etc, while fakes often are 48, 50, 52 etc
Real REPLICA jerseys say S/M/L/XL/XXL.

Pro jerseys are numbered numerically, from 46 all the way to... 64, I believe. 64 is HUUUGE. Goalie cut, basically.

Fake jerseys will almost ALWAYS pass themselves off as pros though, so they'll try to emulate the numbering system... most fakes will say 48, 52, etc. If you know your jerseys though, that's another dead giveaway for fakes: the chinese knockoffs are WAY smaller than the proper Edge jerseys. A knockoff 52 fits more like a real pro 48.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Real REPLICA jerseys say S/M/L/XL/XXL.

Pro jerseys are numbered numerically, from 46 all the way to... 64, I believe. 64 is HUUUGE. Goalie cut, basically.

Fake jerseys will almost ALWAYS pass themselves off as pros though, so they'll try to emulate the numbering system... most fakes will say 48, 52, etc. If you know your jerseys though, that's another dead giveaway for fakes: the chinese knockoffs are WAY smaller than the proper Edge jerseys. A knockoff 52 fits more like a real pro 48.
Didn't know that, never owned a pro haha. Disregard previous post, I guess.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Droc
Classless

Most of the replica jerseys from Asia are of excellent quality. Comparing my $300 CCM Alfredsson jersey to my $40 CCM Alfredsson knockoff and they are nearly identical in every way. If it wasnt for my real one having a small mustard stain, I wouldnt know the difference. The stitching, lettering, build quality, its all near perfect.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
BeerandHockey
╚(Þ_Þ)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
opposite of this. I got a pro Alfie jersey and the sizing is numbered. Everything is embroidered. The RBKs from a few years ago were a little thicker since they were that waterproof material, however a my friend at work got Condra's "Shirt of my Back" jersey and they are slightly different now in feel.

Also, most of the red fakes have the wrong "red", and the gold in the front logo has no shine.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:32 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Most of the replica jerseys from Asia are of excellent quality. Comparing my $300 CCM Alfredsson jersey to my $40 CCM Alfredsson knockoff and they are nearly identical in every way. If it wasnt for my real one having a small mustard stain, I wouldnt know the difference. The stitching, lettering, build quality, its all near perfect.
I can't disagree with this enough. The **** I've seen customers come into my old store with, asking us if we can repair/fix the jersey, is ridiculous. Think of ANYTHING that can go wrong with a jersey, and I've seen fake chinese knockoffs with that problem.

You, sir, need to get your prescription fixed.

Old
04-09-2011, 06:00 PM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

Quote:
I can't disagree with this enough. The **** I've seen customers come into my old store with, asking us if we can repair/fix the jersey, is ridiculous. Think of ANYTHING that can go wrong with a jersey, and I've seen fake chinese knockoffs with that problem.

You, sir, need to get your prescription fixed.
The 'most of them are great' may be off, but to say they're all bad is tarring them all with the same brush. I'd say the ratio of good-to-bad jerseys is probably 50-50.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise Alfie View Post
opposite of this. I got a pro Alfie jersey and the sizing is numbered. Everything is embroidered. The RBKs from a few years ago were a little thicker since they were that waterproof material, however a my friend at work got Condra's "Shirt of my Back" jersey and they are slightly different now in feel.

Also, most of the red fakes have the wrong "red", and the gold in the front logo has no shine.
The sizing is apparently different for pros and replicas, see sensjersey11's post.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:32 PM
SilverSeven

With Sens jerseys the easiest way is ALWAYS the colour. The red is just wrong. At the Habs game on Thursday I spotted a fake halfway across the arena, no kidding. Its a browner red, if that makes any sense.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:33 PM
playasRus

Thanks for everyones input
I guess it ends up depending on "how fake does it look?"

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:09 AM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
With Sens jerseys the easiest way is ALWAYS the colour. The red is just wrong. At the Habs game on Thursday I spotted a fake halfway across the arena, no kidding. Its a browner red, if that makes any sense.
So, what you're saying is................................................ .........get the black jersey instead?

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1325
Good read. I'm thinking about getting a Lee jersey and this definitely helped. Thanks again!!

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote