HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

would you guys like the sens to maybe trade for joe thornton

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 09:46 PM
cage

vCash: 500
would you guys like the sens to maybe trade for joe thornton

if rumours are true and he and the bruins can't come to terms. i'de love it if he became a sen

ottawa guys i wouldn't mind giving up - redden, phillips, havlat

some sort of package involving 2 of those guys maybe?

out of the three, i like philliphs most. he steps up his game in the playoffs. i love havlat, he's really exciting to watch, and could be a 50 goal scorer someday. but thornton could solve alot of problems.

what do you guys think

Old
07-07-2004, 09:56 PM
SENSational

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-07-2004, 10:30 PM
BronxBruin

While it's highly unliklely the Bruins would trade Thornton to a division rival (if at all...Mike O'Connell denied the rumors today), the Senators definitely have the sort of players that the B's would be interested in. Their #1 target would probably be Jason Spezza. They almost acquired him from the Islanders at the draft for Jason Allison a few years ago but Milbury went with Yashin instead. Without Joe, the Bruins don't really have any centers...Nylander, Green, and Rolston are all UFA's. Bergeron could play center but was mostly a wing last year. So Spezza would be needed to eventually fill the spot left by Joe. I realize most of you would probably rather trade Havlat instead of Spezza but the B's already have a smallish, skilled winger in Samsonov who plays a similar game and their need for a #1 center with size (Spezza) would be far greater. The Sens would probably have to add another player or two of decent value. I'd personally be hoping for Volchenkov but I don't know if the Sens would be willing to part with both.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:52 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 2000
I don't want to see either Havlat or Spezza dealt. Both of these guys are going to put up better numbers than Hossa in a couple of years.

That said Joe and Marian would dominate together... but Thornton isn’t going to be traded period. If he was it surely wouldn’t be to a division rival. Anyway for the hell of it I’d offer Volchenkov, Vermette, Mirnov, a 1st and a smile at the ring tone.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:55 AM
cage

i've never really thought of trading spezza. hossa will be better than both havlat and spezza imo. i think hossa will be a top 3 player in the nhl soon, maybe even the best. he's also tough

i've never really been a redden fan though

Old
07-08-2004, 12:56 AM
Drop The Gloves

I heard that Florida is the top bidder.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres48
I heard that Florida is the top bidder.
You are correct but I wish you werent giving up Horton, Weiss, Bouwmeester, Stewart. Not what I want to do.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage
if rumours are true and he and the bruins can't come to terms. i'de love it if he became a sen

ottawa guys i wouldn't mind giving up - redden, phillips, havlat

some sort of package involving 2 of those guys maybe?

out of the three, i like philliphs most. he steps up his game in the playoffs. i love havlat, he's really exciting to watch, and could be a 50 goal scorer someday. but thornton could solve alot of problems.

what do you guys think
Trading Redden would be lunacy. I can't believe this guy doesn't get more ink.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Tuggy

If, and it's a big IF, Thornton was traded. Then I think it's a very safe bet that he would not be dealt within the Northeast division.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
For who we'd have to give up, it's not worth it.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:20 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Not to stir the pot too much, but would you guys trade Hossa for Thornton? Just curious...

Old
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
operasen

Muckler has said he will keep his Core together. Even for Thornton, its not worth destroying it. Havlat for Thornton straight up? If Havlat is given quality ice time on a tiop line he will break out. He is not a third line guy.

Thornton would be nice, but will go to a team that is willing to trade its soul or one that has not yet established a solid Core.

I'd love him here - for Smolinski, Pothier/de Vries and Eaves. I would not offer more.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:41 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
Muckler has said he will keep his Core together. Even for Thornton, its not worth destroying it. Havlat for Thornton straight up? If Havlat is given quality ice time on a tiop line he will break out. He is not a third line guy.

Thornton would be nice, but will go to a team that is willing to trade its soul or one that has not yet established a solid Core.

I'd love him here - for Smolinski, Pothier/de Vries and Eaves. I would not offer more.
Oh well, I guess we're not getting Joe Thornton.

Old
07-08-2004, 09:19 AM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
I wouldnt want joe if we had to give up those guys. Besides, hes not going anywhere in the north dvision.

Old
07-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Not to stir the pot too much, but would you guys trade Hossa for Thornton? Just curious...
Nope, I wouldn't at this point. Now, I might say I'd rather start a franchise with Hossa than Thornton, although there would at least be debate on that issue. But I wouldn't consider a Hossa for Thornton deal. It's a lateral move more than anything else, it messes with chemistry, it takes away our best player and basically replaces him with one who has yet to prove he can step it up in the playoffs and just recently demanded a trade....nope.

Old
07-08-2004, 10:09 AM
BBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen

You would think that Eaves would be interesting to the Bruins as he plays for Boston College. I don't think that they would be interesteed in Smokes though.

Would anyone do
Thornton and Boynton
for
Havlat, Redden and Eaves?

Old
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Would anyone do
Thornton and Boynton
for
No.

Havlat= 23 year old and the third best forward on our team
Redden= 25 or 26 year old (im not sure) and the second best d-man on our team
Eaves= id be ready to give him up as he wont play for us until hes 35 but still...

Thoronton= playoff choker- Jose Théodore scored more points then him
Boynton= young, but inexperienced

Last edited by SENS_FAN_09: 07-08-2004 at 10:29 AM. Reason: put 36yrs instead of 26yrs old for redden :blush:
Old
07-08-2004, 10:33 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Just my personal opinion...but I would trade any player on the Senators current roster for Joe Thornton.

I don't think the Bruins would trade Thornton for Hossa straight up but that's just my opinion.

Marian Hossa is my favorite player on the Sens and I would trade him for Thornton in a heartbeat. Big physical scoring centres like Thornton are extremely rare and I would trade anybody from our team for him.

Am I the only one?

EDIT - maybe not Chara...

Last edited by The Lehner: 07-08-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old
07-08-2004, 10:43 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Just my personal opinion...but I would trade any player on the Senators current roster for Joe Thornton.

I don't think the Bruins would trade Thornton for Hossa straight up but that's just my opinion.

Marian Hossa is my favorite player on the Sens and I would trade him for Thornton in a heartbeat. Big physical scoring centres like Thornton are extremely rare and I would trade anybody from our team for him.

Am I the only one?
I wouldn't banish Hoss to that mess in Beantown. Unless Raycroft pulls a Hasek impersonation, the Bruins will be hard pressed making the playoffs minus core players like Murray, Knuble, Rolston, and O'Donnell.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
You would think that Eaves would be interesting to the Bruins as he plays for Boston College. I don't think that they would be interesteed in Smokes though.

Would anyone do
Thornton and Boynton
for
The B's wouldn't do that. Take out Boynton and that would be a fair deal. If you want to include a Bruins prospect, go ahead...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thornton is one of the best in the game. The Sens could use a guy like him. I'd be all for Hossa for Thornton straight up. I'd rather deal Spezza or Havlat...

Old
07-08-2004, 02:18 PM
rebedom

Spezza for Thorton straight up would work for me, Thorton is probably bigger and tougher than Spezza and what this team needs more of. Of course, I would take also trade Spezza for Primeau, I see Spezza as another soft player on our roster although he is extremely talented with tremendous upside this team needs to get bigger and tougher to go further in the playoffs.

Would it be crazy to sign Dave Andrechuck UFA to be our 1st line centre and tutor to Spezza and Fisher? He is pretty good on faceoffs, gets in front of the net better than anyone and as our 1st line centre could play with Alfredson and White to protect them. Then sign Weimer as our 4th line centre adding more toughness to this team.

Old
07-08-2004, 02:24 PM
cage

only sens i would never trade are alfredsson, hossa, and chara

fisher as well i guess

Old
07-08-2004, 02:25 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
Spezza for Thorton straight up would work for me, Thorton is probably bigger and tougher than Spezza and what this team needs more of. Of course, I would take also trade Spezza for Primeau, I see Spezza as another soft player on our roster although he is extremely talented with tremendous upside this team needs to get bigger and tougher to go further in the playoffs.

Would it be crazy to sign Dave Andrechuck UFA to be our 1st line centre and tutor to Spezza and Fisher? He is pretty good on faceoffs, gets in front of the net better than anyone and as our 1st line centre could play with Alfredson and White to protect them. Then sign Weimer as our 4th line centre adding more toughness to this team.
The Sens would be laughing...and the B's Gm would be killed the minute after that deal happens. Thornton is 10 times the player Spezza will ever be. You'd have to throw in way more than that to get Thornton. Havlat/Spezza possibly? Redden/Spezza? Let's not forget Thornton is a franchise player and one of the best in the league, already.

Old
07-08-2004, 02:55 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

[QUOTE=rebedom] I would take also trade Spezza for Primeau [QUOTE]

Wow! I wouldn't do that from a Sens point of view. Although Primeau would help the Sens because of the style he plays, that's way overpaying from an Ottawa point of view IMO.

Smolinski + Hamel = Fedorov, and
Spezza = Primeau?

That must be a new math that they didn't teach at Bell High back in the day.

Old
07-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Thornton is 10 times the player Spezza will ever be.
spoken like an ignoramus who obviously has never seen Spezza play, and equally obviously a completely ridiculous statement.

Closed Thread