HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clouston, Carvel and Lauer let go

Old
04-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
"Hire the right guy"

It isn't that ****ing easy.
Apparently not. That's why we are about to hire our 4th coach in 4 years.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:57 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
They need a coaching staff that fits the roster.

Don't draft players like Rundblad, Karlsson etc. and hire a neutral zone trap coach(Cameron).
Actually a strong transition and PMD defensive group is essential for a good counter-attacking neutral zone trap.

(See: the 1-1-3 trap Senators under Martin and continued under Murray's Cup run team)

-Not that Cameron is the right coach.-

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Especially with Bryan Murray doing the hiring.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:00 PM
paulica

~interesting developments

I kind of feel bad for Clouston because I feel like he really tried hard or as best as he could. That could just be me.

But whoever is the new coach needs to be able to take advantage of the young guys' motivation and energy.

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Actually a strong transition and PMD defensive group is essential for a good counter-attacking neutral zone trap.

(See: the 1-1-3 trap Senators under Martin and continued under Murray's Cup run team)

-Not that Cameron is the right coach.-
IMHO they should mimic the Pens and Red Wings system

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
jamz

Please don't steal Muller

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Please don't steal Muller
Muhahahaha.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Awsome. Whole new coaching staff for next year, different goalies, different players.
... and same GM.

Fiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Clouston wouldn't be able to communicate with his players because he doesn't speak Swedish.

The real reason he was let go is because he lost the game today.

The actual real reason is because he po'd Anderson by giving the final game to McElhinney

This confirms that Murray wanted Clouston out a few months ago but Melnyk held him back.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:15 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

How many of the coach contracts expire this summer? I want to say that Hartsburg, Paddock, and Clouston all expire this year, yes?

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:16 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
How many of the coach contracts expire this summer? I want to say that Hartsburg, Paddock, and Clouston all expire this year, yes?
that is just hilarious.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Complete rebuild of the bench to go with youth movement? I actually really like this. Players and coaching staff develop one system together. Solidarity.

To be honest, can't blame it all on Clouston. There was too much locker room security I think, and that meant that guys weren't as motivated to perform.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I just think its funny how we all pretend we understand how to coach an NHL team to a championship when in reality it is mindbogglingly complicated. I blame fantasy sports. Thing is in real life you are actually interacting with people. No matter how great a coach you are it isn't an exact science.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sens2k9

Quote:
Paddock should have already be done, last year i think. If not, I think he has a gig elsewhere anyways so I don't think we'd be paying him anymore anyways.

Hartsburg will be done now too (probably june 30th)

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Really guys? Kirk Mueller? Can someone explain to me how the hell any of Mueller, the KK dude in Bingo or Cameron would make sense to hire? None of them are proven, they are young coaches who start off with zero NHL experience and we're going to be the team to give that guy his trials and learning experiences while we endure more losing?

Not saying this team is going to make the playoffs next season but the goal should definitely be to contend and have a winning season, I don't see that happening if we go the Cory Clouston V 2.0 route.
I am sure Mueller will make a solid HC in the NHL one day, just don't know if that would be here.

We shouldn't just be throwing random names around, it's got to be a good fit and it's got to fall in place with the plan that Murray/Melnyk have going forward. I am convinced that the guy for the job is someone who has been around the block a few times, knows how to handle younger guys, knows how to grow a team and knows how to handle adversity in a tough market.

More people should start getting on board with Mac T or Hitchcock.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Apparently not. That's why we are about to hire our 4th coach in 4 years.
Just take a look around the league. What recently hired new coaches have done well? Hiring a coach isn't perfect science. Team that recently tired that comes mind, minny, clb, atl (ramsay has been good, but they aren't in the playoffs yet, deboer in fla has done nothing, SJ still hasn't gotten over the hump, Islanders, Cgy, Col, Edm have all been bad teams even with new coaches in the past few years.

Phx, TB, NJ, would come to mind as having hired the right people. It goes to show that it isn't easy to suceed. Ottawa has made another change in an attempt to improve the team. I would rather they keep trying new things than stick with something that isn't working.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
danishh

Head Coach:
Assistant Coach:
Assistant Coach:
Assistant Coach: Luke Richardson
Goalie Coach: Rick Wamsley
Video Coach: Tim Pattyson
Conditioning Coach: Chris Schwartz

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Wilfrid Laurier

So, last year our goaltending is decent, we make the playoffs and Clouston is a genius in his first full year. This year, our goaltending sucks, we tank and Clouston is suddenly a terrible coach.

Not at all happy with Murray scapegoating his coaches while he gets a contract extension. Who hired these guys after all?

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Head Coach:
Assistant Coach:
Assistant Coach:
Assistant Coach: Luke Richardson
Goalie Coach: Rick Wamsley
Video Coach: Tim Pattyson
Conditioning Coach: Chris Schwartz
We're keeping the conditioning coach especially for his last name. May the power of the Schwartz be with you!

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Really guys? Kirk Mueller? Can someone explain to me how the hell any of Mueller, the KK dude in Bingo or Cameron would make sense to hire? None of them are proven, they are young coaches who start off with zero NHL experience and we're going to be the team to give that guy his trials and learning experiences while we endure more losing?

Not saying this team is going to make the playoffs next season but the goal should definitely be to contend and have a winning season, I don't see that happening if we go the Cory Clouston V 2.0 route.
I am sure Mueller will make a solid HC in the NHL one day, just don't know if that would be here.

We shouldn't just be throwing random names around, it's got to be a good fit and it's got to fall in place with the plan that Murray/Melnyk have going forward. I am convinced that the guy for the job is someone who has been around the block a few times, knows how to handle younger guys, knows how to grow a team and knows how to handle adversity in a tough market.

I will personally bet anyone or here that BMurray doesn't hire Hitch. There is no chance in hell he gets the job.

Old
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Dave Cameron for ASSISTANT makes so much more sense. Let him learn the game and grow as a coach before being thrown into the fire in a pressure cooker like Ottawa. We don't need to be the Panthers under Deboer who are well coached and play hard but don't exactly win a whole lot.

If Cameron was alright with paying his dues first, which is really the way it should be than great, but Melnyk should not be handing the guy the HC job.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

We fired Jacques Martin and he made us a contender but we never sealed the deal so he got canned. How many active coach's have actually led a team to a cup? Not many, the rest are bad coaches. Sorry, "not good enough" coaches. Like Clouston.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post

Kirk Muller has paid his dues to be an NHL Head Coach...He played 19 seasons in the NHL, was a Stanley Cup Champion...Has been an assistant coach behind Guy Carbonneau, Bob Gainey and Jacques Martin...Is VERY involved behing the bench...I would rather have somebody like that over a couple coaches who are just re-treads

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfrid Laurier View Post
So, last year our goaltending is decent, we make the playoffs and Clouston is a genius in his first full year. This year, our goaltending sucks, we tank and Clouston is suddenly a terrible coach.

Not at all happy with Murray scapegoating his coaches while he gets a contract extension. Who hired these guys after all?
Scapegoating is the practice of singling out any party for unmerited negative treatment or blame

I don't think Murray is doing that at all. Singling out is the key word. He traded 5 players, and fired 3 coaches, how is that scapegoating Clouston?

Old
MatthewT

Quote:
I know Hartsburg's contract does

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote