HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs to sign Leo Komarov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
  #101
080
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
I think Komarov has a chance of playing the 3rd line winger role. We could really use a pest type player there with some scoring ability. But, it's hard to say.
Armstrong...

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
  #102
Ramon108
Registered User
 
Ramon108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Omsk, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108
Finally, he leaves the KHL and he's will cease to spoil fans nerves . His character is worse than Radulov! And as a player - he's good, good technique and a good wristshot.


Last edited by Ramon108: 04-12-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Ramon108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
  #103
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
If I'm living up to the name, why would I change it?

With the amount of times you guys have called me stupid in this thread, you seem pretty resolute in continuing to make very little sense.
C'mon now, we're just kidding.

I think in terms of production for the amount of ice time Brown sees, and due to the fact he injured his hand this season, his offensive upside is very good.

Drawing a conclusion like...just 8 points in 50 games isn't good enough, is short-sided. It doesn't take into account his ice time or game situations.

I'm not looking at just stats to see what a player brings to the ice. I'm very happy with Mike Brown's game. He has been the main catalyst on the 4th line most of the season, which is why he stays there.

He doesn't put up the numbers that you want to see on a scoring sheet, so hence you have a difficult time recognizing him. I still have some serious doubts as to which Leafs games you're watching, and I've seen Brown on numerous opportunities create scoring chances where there weren't or shouldn't have been any.

If you recall, the Leafs were pretty deep top 6 wise most of the season(although you could make an exception for Kessel's line), and he wasn't going to play ahead of Armstrong on the wing, or the 2nd line. So it was difficult for Wilson to give Brown more ice time.

With that said, Brown's a valuable player to the Leafs. I'm comfortable seeing him put on the ice, during any game situation. His performance for his salary is productive for what he does. One of the league's more under-rated role players.

But in all actuality, you have a hard time giving the guy any credit offensively, because all you can do is look at a stat sheet. Not look at ice time, or what game situations he's being put in. That's kind of a jaded, narrow and ignorant view if you ask me. I'd say you're pretty stubborn, and be so if you wish, but I disagree. I see a different game than you do, and I still have my doubts as to how much Leafs hockey you see.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
  #104
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,117
vCash: 500
I think for the amount of ice time Mikey Brown sees, his offensive output is decent.
It's not all about goals and assists. His relentless forecheck and speed around the edge make him tough to contain for opposing players.

Brown won't amaze anyone with his offensive skills, but his ability to create chances on the rush with his speed to the outside has proven pretty capable from what I've seen.

You need guys like Brown in order to be successful. They push the pace, create turnovers, and will get the puck in/out of the zone at all costs. These are qualities that lead to scoring chances. NOW, he's not exactly the most offensively gifted, but he creates chances, and every now and again, his ability to force the play and cause the opposing D to cough up will lead to him making them pay for it.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
  #105
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
C'mon now, we're just kidding.

I think in terms of production for the amount of ice time Brown sees, and due to the fact he injured his hand this season, his offensive upside is very good.

Drawing a conclusion like...just 8 points in 50 games isn't good enough, is short-sided. It doesn't take into account his ice time or game situations.

I'm not looking at just stats to see what a player brings to the ice. I'm very happy with Mike Brown's game. He has been the main catalyst on the 4th line most of the season, which is why he stays there.

He doesn't put up the numbers that you want to see on a scoring sheet, so hence you have a difficult time recognizing him. I still have some serious doubts as to which Leafs games you're watching, and I've seen Brown on numerous opportunities create scoring chances where there weren't or shouldn't have been any.

If you recall, the Leafs were pretty deep top 6 wise most of the season(although you could make an exception for Kessel's line), and he wasn't going to play ahead of Armstrong on the wing, or the 2nd line. So it was difficult for Wilson to give Brown more ice time.

With that said, Brown's a valuable player to the Leafs. I'm comfortable seeing him put on the ice, during any game situation. His performance for his salary is productive for what he does. One of the league's more under-rated role players.

But in all actuality, you have a hard time giving the guy any credit offensively, because all you can do is look at a stat sheet. Not look at ice time, or what game situations he's being put in. That's kind of a jaded, narrow and ignorant view if you ask me. I'd say you're pretty stubborn, and be so if you wish, but I disagree. I see a different game than you do, and I still have my doubts as to how much Leafs hockey you see.
Sorry to horn in on somebody else's fight but you are arguing that Brown's "offensive upside is very good" when Brown has only once, going all the way back to his days with the USNDTP, reached the 10 goal plateau. You know, after a while stats do matter. You can argue that he hasn't been put in scoring situations and that's true. But coaches in midget, the NCAA, a couple of minor league stops and different NHL clubs have all put him in the same role. Ask yourself why they did that. Have they all been wrong? Have they all been reading the stats sheets so carefully that they missed something in all those games and practices when they watched him play?

Listen, I watched most Leaf games this year and I do like Brown. I think he was a valuable addition as a bottom six winger and hope he will be around indefinitely. It is not that he won't kick in the occasional goal. Thanks to his speed, some of the goals will look pretty. But there is no reason to think he will do it very often. He is what he is and leave it at that.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78351

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
  #106
Number13
Registered User
 
Number13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
To the morons calling people morons, learn how to spell BARELY.

Also, that play has more to do with his speed and hard work than actual skill. I'm not saying he has zero skill, but compared to players whose job it is to put up points, he is no comparison. A lot, if not all of the chances that Mike Brown creates for himself are due to his skating and grit, not actual offensive skill.
Do you think guys like Getzlaf, Perry, M. Richards would have as many points without grit and speed? Technically those traits can be described as offensive skills as they lead to offensive chances. I'm definitely not comparing those players to Brown, but to say Brown has no offensive skill, when he has the ability to create offensive chances is just wrong.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  #107
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Brown is a fourth liner and his job is to provide energy, not make mistakes, fight when needed, and kill penalties on occasion. Any discussion of his offensive skills is kind of like discussing Kulemin's pugilistic abilities.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
  #108
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Sorry to horn in on somebody else's fight but you are arguing that Brown's "offensive upside is very good" when Brown has only once, going all the way back to his days with the USNDTP, reached the 10 goal plateau. You know, after a while stats do matter. You can argue that he hasn't been put in scoring situations and that's true. But coaches in midget, the NCAA, a couple of minor league stops and different NHL clubs have all put him in the same role. Ask yourself why they did that. Have they all been wrong? Have they all been reading the stats sheets so carefully that they missed something in all those games and practices when they watched him play?

Listen, I watched most Leaf games this year and I do like Brown. I think he was a valuable addition as a bottom six winger and hope he will be around indefinitely. It is not that he won't kick in the occasional goal. Thanks to his speed, some of the goals will look pretty. But there is no reason to think he will do it very often. He is what he is and leave it at that.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78351
Exactly.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:20 AM
  #109
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Do you think guys like Getzlaf, Perry, M. Richards would have as many points without grit and speed? Technically those traits can be described as offensive skills as they lead to offensive chances. I'm definitely not comparing those players to Brown, but to say Brown has no offensive skill, when he has the ability to create offensive chances is just wrong.
The term used was "offensive prowess".

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
  #110
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Comparison's to Brown are very valid. He's a speedy player, not overly large, that likes to hit.

What's missing from this conversation is that he is a center.

Brown Komarov Armstrong --> should drive opponents nuts

with Kadri Bozak and Frattin being the likely third line I suspect that's what you will see if Komarov can take the job from Boyce.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
  #111
feeel10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon108 View Post
Finally, he leaves the KHL and he's will cease to spoil fans nerves . His character is worse than Radulov! And as a player - he's good, good technique and a good wristshot.
Alex radulov doesnt have a ''bad character'' at all. I watched him play all his junior and with the preds and I've rarely seen a guy with such sportsmanship and ''gentleman'' behaviour. the thing regarding his controversy was more about a ''childish'' impulsive behaviour. I think hes the only player I've ever seen having fun with opponents and congratulate the other goalie after a big save.

feeel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
  #112
feeel10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Comparison's to Brown are very valid. He's a speedy player, not overly large, that likes to hit.

What's missing from this conversation is that he is a center.

Brown Komarov Armstrong --> should drive opponents nuts

with Kadri Bozak and Frattin being the likely third line I suspect that's what you will see if Komarov can take the job from Boyce.
he was listed as Lw on Hockeysfuture

feeel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  #113
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
So now Komarov is staying in the KHL? Thats dissappointing.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  #114
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
The term used was "offensive prowess".
Right, and what is prowess?

Prow·ess
1. Skill or expertise in an activity or field.
2. Bravery in battle

Brown certainly matches those traits.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
  #115
Ramon108
Registered User
 
Ramon108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Omsk, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeel10 View Post
Alex radulov doesnt have a ''bad character'' at all. I watched him play all his junior and with the preds and I've rarely seen a guy with such sportsmanship and ''gentleman'' behaviour. the thing regarding his controversy was more about a ''childish'' impulsive behaviour. I think hes the only player I've ever seen having fun with opponents and congratulate the other goalie after a big save.
Maybe when he played for the Predators, he was a gentleman, but now in the KHL, had a hot temper, constantly climbing where you do not need, does the dirty tricks. Especially in the playoffs. In KHL few players can give him a rebuff, unlike the NHL, where everyone can stand up for oneself.

Ramon108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
  #116
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
So now Komarov is staying in the KHL? Thats dissappointing.
Not 100% yet but it does look like he'll probably stay in the KHL.

The Leafs and Komarov's agent are talking, but it doesn't appear like it'll happen, for whatever the reason.

He probably wants assurance that he'll get NHL time but for obvious reasons, the Leafs can't offer that promise.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
  #117
walle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northpole
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
khl:
money
big role
nhl:
a dream
nhl/ahl (money)
small role

Id prefer him to give it a shot, I feel like he could make an impact and stay in the roster but KHL is not by any means a worse option for him at this point.

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
  #118
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,019
vCash: 500
he's gotta be an upgrade on Sjostrom.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
  #119
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
you guys are right. he IS a good agitator.

we don't need a zheredev.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
  #120
highoffglass
Cheers!
 
highoffglass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
I hope he makes the jump over, he could be a great bottom 6 guy.

I like the comparison to Mike Brown

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
  #121
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Right, and what is prowess?

Prow·ess
1. Skill or expertise in an activity or field.
2. Bravery in battle

Brown certainly matches those traits.
skill or expertise in offense? Mike Brown?

I know you're trying to defend your original comment, and he may have some ability to create offensive chances, but you can't honestly believe he has an expertise in it?

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
  #122
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Comparison's to Brown are very valid. He's a speedy player, not overly large, that likes to hit.

What's missing from this conversation is that he is a center.

Brown Komarov Armstrong --> should drive opponents nuts

with Kadri Bozak and Frattin being the likely third line I suspect that's what you will see if Komarov can take the job from Boyce.
If Komarov signs, our bottom 6 will likely be (to start the season):

Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Brown-Komarov-Orr

Frattin will be best served by playing with the Marlies and getting used to the pro atmosphere and grind of 80+ game schedule. Nothing wrong with that, but I think that's what will probably happen. He will probably get a few games with the Leafs next season though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
  #123
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Brown has some hidden offensive upside...

Anyone remember the move he made against Philly on the one Lupul goal?

He's pulled that a couple of times.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
  #124
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Do you think guys like Getzlaf, Perry, M. Richards would have as many points without grit and speed? Technically those traits can be described as offensive skills as they lead to offensive chances. I'm definitely not comparing those players to Brown, but to say Brown has no offensive skill, when he has the ability to create offensive chances is just wrong.
Okay...he can skate fast and has heart. It doesn't change the fact that he has hands of stone. You guys see him "creating scoring chances", but in reality he uses his speed to get by a guy then just gives the goalie an easy save 99/100. How often have we heard the complaint that this team outshot it's opponent by a large margin, but had no quality chances...that's Mike Brown.

His offensive ability (stick skills, shot, passing, awareness, etc.), when compared to other NHLers is below average, well below. I think people are blinded by bias when it comes to him, because he has a role and fills it perfectly as a 4th line grinder/PK specialist. Those minutes are there because that's where he is best utilized.

Also, just because a player pulls a nice move once in a while does NOT make him skilled, not at the NHL level anyways where you're talking about the best players in the world, they should be able to pull something out of their ***** once in a while. I mean, even I can make some really nice plays and I have no chance in hell of ever playing pro.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
  #125
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
So now Komarov is staying in the KHL? Thats dissappointing.
What makes you say that?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.