HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
None of the espn "experts" are picking the rangers. No surprise there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6329493

btw, "experts" is in quotes because it is espn, not because they aren't picking the rangers.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
None of the espn "experts" are picking the rangers. No surprise there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6329493

btw, "experts" is in quotes because it is espn, not because they aren't picking the rangers.
I'm not sure I've seen anyone pick the Rangers yet.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Go back about 15+ years and it wasn't quite so cordial. Washington leaving the division has made things a lot more peaceful. I remember some rough games between the two teams back in the Patrick division days.
There was a time when it seemed we got knocked out of the playoffs every year by the Caps

Old
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not sure I've seen anyone pick the Rangers yet.
But odds are the Rangers won't win. So why would anyone pick us? This is the 1/8 matchup, not a 4/5. Caps should win as they had the better season. Certainly the possibility is that they lose, but that would be a surprise to most people.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Good. It should be a cliche by now, but we perform better as the underdogs.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Good. It should be a cliche by now, but we perform better as the underdogs.
Indeed we do

Old
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But odds are the Rangers won't win. So why would anyone pick us? This is the 1/8 matchup, not a 4/5. Caps should win as they had the better season. Certainly the possibility is that they lose, but that would be a surprise to most people.
Maybe to grow some balls, take a risk. How many people had Butler and VCU in their final four brackets?
Two of them picked the hawks, and most of them picked the sabres, so they aren't afraid to go out on a limb.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Menger theory of value indeed.

disregarding my economic nerdiness, all I can really say is that watching sports on TV is just becoming the norm for fanbases now. Going to games is becoming the arena of the wealthy, whether we like it or not.

Really the only way to fix this would be to build bigger arenas, but then, you're too far away from the action. Might as well just watch on the tube in that case.
It's too bad nobody gets the idea of "stands" in NA... You could easily squez in another 4000 people to an arena like MSG if you removed 1000 seats. Stands gives you a much better atmosphere too et c.

I don't think the difference between the SEL/Sweden and the NHL/USA is too big these days. Here in Sweden teams started to remove the stands (which were big parts of the arenas some 20 years ago, but everyone regretted it and put the stands back in.

I mean, people stand up when they go to a music concert. Why can't 15% crowd watching a hockey game stand up? And you make money on it, you easily put in 2.5 people per seat you remove, and could definitely charge mor then 50% of the price/seat. And, you get a much better atmosphere in the arena. I mean if the blueseats are loud, imagine what the stands would be in MSG. It's all win, win and win. Nobody gets it though. It's a shame.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Maybe to grow some balls, take a risk. How many people had Butler and VCU in their final four brackets?
Two of them picked the hawks, and most of them picked the sabres, so they aren't afraid to go out on a limb.
If the heartbeat of the team (Callahan) was in the lineup...or our most talented forward (Gaborik) was scoring once in a while, perhaps some of them would go out on a limb and go with us in the upset. We certainly have a shot...but if you take a step back and ask yourself objectively, if we play this series 10 times, how many of those are the Rangers winning...what would you say?

Old
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Does anyone honestly expect any analyst to pick the Rangers who barely squeaked into the playoffs on the last day and are without one of their best players? I'm optimistic, but even I'd be surprised if the Rangers win this series.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
ceej730

I go to school in Delaware so i obviously dont get MSG

Does this mean i get the Versus feed?

Old
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It's too bad nobody gets the idea of "stands" in NA... You could easily squez in another 4000 people to an arena like MSG if you removed 1000 seats. Stands gives you a much better atmosphere too et c.

I don't think the difference between the SEL/Sweden and the NHL/USA is too big these days. Here in Sweden teams started to remove the stands (which were big parts of the arenas some 20 years ago, but everyone regretted it and put the stands back in.

I mean, people stand up when they go to a music concert. Why can't 15% crowd watching a hockey game stand up? And you make money on it, you easily put in 2.5 people per seat you remove, and could definitely charge mor then 50% of the price/seat. And, you get a much better atmosphere in the arena. I mean if the blueseats are loud, imagine what the stands would be in MSG. It's all win, win and win. Nobody gets it though. It's a shame.
Personally, I would love this. However, the NHL, to my knowledge has never had this type of instance implemented. I can't see them doing it now.

It would be awesome to have something similar to baseball bleachers at hockey games though. I've sat first row, nose bleeds and bleacher seats at Yankee/Mets games and I have to say, I love being a bleacher creature the most.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

Old
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej730 View Post

Yeah 99.9% sure you get versus feed if you obviously don't have MSG as your local Ch....Unless you look for a online feed.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Getting FIOS installed in my house on Wednesday, lol. Losing HD for the playoffs. Ah well.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Getting FIOS installed in my house on Wednesday, lol. Losing HD for the playoffs. Ah well.
You couldn't wait until after the 2nd round? lol I'd love to make the switch and dump TWC. But I just can't do it without MSG HD. Sadly they know that. ********.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej730 View Post

You will, unless your TV package in DE carries Comcast Sports Net. If that's the case, then you'll be watching it on that channel.

It's just pain.
Old
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Quote:
You couldn't wait until after the 2nd round? lol I'd love to make the switch and dump TWC. But I just can't do it without MSG HD. Sadly they know that. ********.
Honestly, Fios SD is nearly as good as HD, sometimes I can't even tell the difference. Once in a while they'll **** you with a feed that sucks, but the majority of the time it's pretty damn good.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Well the story goes like this.

2 years back we switched to FIOS for a couple months. Then Cablevision comes calling saying they'll give us a lower price and pay any termination fees. So we switch back. Now two years later our two years with Cablevision are up this month and they'll be raising the cable rate to the normal rate, which is like $70 more month than what we were paying (somewhere north of $200). So now we're switching to Verizon and will be paying MUCH less.

The game is to switch every two years it seems.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Honestly, Fios SD is nearly as good as HD, sometimes I can't even tell the difference. Once in a while they'll **** you with a feed that sucks, but the majority of the time it's pretty damn good.
Nearly is relative depending on the size of your display. I don't doubt it if you are watching on a 42" or 55" screen. But at 100+" you simply need the extra lines of resolution. As soon as the courts find in favor of Verizon I'll be all over FIOS.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
trueblue35

anyone else notice this pattern since the lockout......

05-06 Rangers lost to devils. Carolina beats the devils and eventually goes to SCF

06-07 Rangers lose to Buffalo. Ottawa beats Buffalo and goes to SCF

07-08 Rangers lose to Pitt. Pitt eventually goes to SCF

08-09 Rangers lose to Washington. Pitt beats Wash to go to SCF

09-10 Rangers lose to Philly last game of season. Philly eventually goes to SCF

Old
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
lets go out and prove all the haters wrong

Old
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Well the story goes like this.

2 years back we switched to FIOS for a couple months. Then Cablevision comes calling saying they'll give us a lower price and pay any termination fees. So we switch back. Now two years later our two years with Cablevision are up this month and they'll be raising the cable rate to the normal rate, which is like $70 more month than what we were paying (somewhere north of $200). So now we're switching to Verizon and will be paying MUCH less.

The game is to switch every two years it seems.
Yeah, the only time these companies ever care about you is when you decide you've had enough. Great corporate philosophy for sure.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Nearly is relative depending on the size of your display. I don't doubt it if you are watching on a 42" or 55" screen. But at 100+" you simply need the extra lines of resolution. As soon as the courts find in favor of Verizon I'll be all over FIOS.
Yea never really thought of that, I'm just so used to people having large flat screens these days.

So if you do, then it's really not much of a difference. IMO, it's worth it to live with sd on MSG and have the extra functions and capabilities that fios offers, not to mention the significance in price differential.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Does anyone honestly expect any analyst to pick the Rangers who barely squeaked into the playoffs on the last day and are without one of their best players? I'm optimistic, but even I'd be surprised if the Rangers win this series.
It didn't stop some of the ESPN analysts from picking Chicago, who actually got on the very last day(we were second to last); or the Sabres who weren't a sure thing until about the final few days.

Not that it matters, this team adores the underdog role.

Closed Thread