HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Tampa Bay Lightning: First Round

Old
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
TheWizardOfCros

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Anyone find out the schedule yet?
"Host Brian Duff, regular contributor Mike Johnson and special guest and Versus color analyst Billy Jaffe will begin the live playoff coverage at 10 p.m. ET with the NHL On The Fly: Playoff Match-Up Scheduling Show, during which they'll reveal the schedule and matchups for the first round of the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The show also will also be streamed live on NHL.com for U.S. audiences."

just read this on nhl.com so it looks like they will announce it sometime after 10.

TheWizardOfCros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Well they'd be tied for 3rd overall, 4th if you really must include tie breakers. With all the loser points, etc. excuse me if that's not earth shattering to me. They don't stack up to most of the teams that have a similar or better point total. You can not buy the shootout argument all you want, it's reality. They have to score more goals and score on the PP or they're going to lose. That's it.
Everyone also has to remember that not only do the Penguins have to score in the playoffs in tight/tie games, so does the other team and the fact that the pens got so many shootout wins Tells you the Pens were just as good as the losers taking away those shoot outs.

The Pens can't fall behind to far because they can't manufacture 3+ goals regularly.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

****. Not only will I not be able to go to Friday's game, I will be on the road, driving to UVA in Charlottesville, Va., from 5 to 10:30 p.m. I don't have satellite radio in my car to listen to the entire game.

I was considering renting a car for the drive to begin with, but if I can get a car with satellite radio, that'll cinch the deal. Anyone know of car rental companies that include satellite radio in most vehicles?

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Duck Paddy

Playoff Television Coverage

Does anybody know if the non nationally televised games will be shown on NHL Center Ice? I can't remember how it's worked in years past since i've moved from the Pittsburgh area and been forced into CI - pretty much every game was nationally televised (or i went to a sports bar).

I can't remember when the subscription for CI ends...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Duck Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
NastyNick

Gonna post my blow by blow prediction here.

games 1-2. Pens lose opener, but rebound to take game 2 in OT.

I predict our PK and PP will stumble out of the gate. The team's style doesn't suit it to winning single games, it is an investment in long term success. This game will play out like the recent game between the two. Pens will fall behind early, rally late, but it won't be enough.

Game 2 will be very similar, but i expect the Pens will have a better start, and get better results in the end. The series will look pretty dire at this point. Many a hfboard poster will be nearing the Fort Pitt bridge.

games 3-4. Pens will win game 3, but lose 4. Explanation below:

The Florida curse has been gone for a few years now, conveniently once Therrien and Edzo and all those other fail-coaches left the burgh. Penguin’s teams use to suck horribly on the Florida trip. Something about the swamp and the sun turned those boy’s heads into alligator dung. At least they’d be nice to look at with their winter tans. The whole florida series in 96 can be blamed on this.. and Tom Barrasso IMO. Tommy was probably knife fighting with his wife and mistress on Siesta Beach, instead of mentally preparing for the Panthers. Can’t otherwise explain how he would let in a goal from the blueline.

So far DB has found a way to put a stop to the curse, so i applaud him for that. Will the demons of the past return though? It would be wise to write off game 4 right now, but i think DB will win game 3 for us.

game 5. Sid returns to explode home crowd. Pens win.

Not much to say. The CEC's roof will be tested. The team will play like they haven't played all year, and Tampa will start to doubt themselves. Roloson will tap out and try to collect Medicare.

game 6. Tampa with back against wall wilts. Pens win.

Reminiscent of the final games against philly and washington. The Pens will dominate from bell to bell. Tampa fans will tear off their Stamkos and Lecherrypickier jerseys to reveal the black and gold. Crosby chants will rain down as he lights Mike Smith up for his third goal. Malkin will break his crutches over Downie’s head and celebrate with the team. Mike Comrie will be there.

Pens in six.
Series MVP - MAF
Series Goat - Steven Stamkos
Series Goober – Steve Downie

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Comrie

Do you guys think that Comrie will play on a consistent basis in this series? Or he will just sit?

Thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
KiuasWarrior

I just can't give my predictions until I see the lines for game 1. Either way, it's going to be a long series.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
PensFanSince1989

Pretty sure they are.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
I was considering renting a car for the drive to begin with, but if I can get a car with satellite radio, that'll cinch the deal. Anyone know of car rental companies that include satellite radio in most vehicles?
It's pretty random, in my experiences. I'd call National, Enterprise and Hertz and see what's available.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
HappyHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Everyone also has to remember that not only do the Penguins have to score in the playoffs in tight/tie games, so does the other team and the fact that the pens got so many shootout wins Tells you the Pens were just as good as the losers taking away those shoot outs.
I understand what UB is saying but I tend to agree with this more. Although they needed a shootout to finish off teams like the Flyers and Detroit I think that at the very least it showed that they can play with those teams. Plus if a shootout is replaced by continuous overtime who is to say the Penguins wouldn't be the team that scores the goal?

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Do you guys think that Comrie will play on a consistent basis in this series? Or he will just sit?

Thanks!
I don't think he plays consistently. Unless we can't score at all in the 1st 2 games (or an injury) then they may insert him for game 3 (I could be wrong though). These are the lines I expect for game 1 (no Crosby):

Neal - Letestu - Kovy
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Conner - Talbot - Dupuis
Rupp - Adams - Asham

This is the lineup I'd anticipate for the whole series if we are having success.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 04-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHuman View Post
I understand what UB is saying but I tend to agree with this more. Although they needed a shootout to finish off teams like the Flyers and Detroit I think that at the very least it showed that they can play with those teams. Plus if a shootout is replaced by continuous overtime who is to say the Penguins wouldn't be the team that scores the goal?
Because we have had trouble scoring goals over the past 40 games. But anything can happen in the playoffs. I am happy with the position we are in but no one can deny that the lack of regulation wins is quite concerning.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Exactly. What's the Penguins' record in one-goal games? Every game that goes to OT ultimately is decided by a one-goal margin (whether by OT goal or shootout) ... I suspect the Pens have one of the best records in one-goal games, so why are so many people Debbie Downers when it comes to this stat?

Is the ROW differential of the Flyers & Pens (44 to 39) a better barometer of team quality than goal differential (Pens, +39; Philly, +36)? I don't think so...

Old
04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
HappyHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Because we have had trouble scoring goals over the past 40 games. But anything can happen in the playoffs. I am happy with the position we are in but no one can deny that the lack of regulation wins is quite concerning.
That is the opposite side of things which is why I do understand what UB said. It's still a concern but not as much as some may think.

Quote:
Exactly. What's the Penguins' record in one-goal games? Every game that goes to OT ultimately is decided by a one-goal margin (whether by OT goal or shootout) ... I suspect the Pens have one of the best records in one-goal games, so why are so many people Debbie Downers when it comes to this stat?

Is the ROW differential of the Flyers & Pens (44 to 39) a better barometer of team quality than goal differential (Pens, +39; Philly, +36)? I don't think so...
Exactly plus the longer overtime goes I think that may actually favor the Penguins since they kind of already play a grind it out throw pucks at the net style to begin with.

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
This.

If he plays anywhere near Halak-like... the Pens are F'd.
If we keep chest-sniping him like we did in our last game against the bolts, then we do have reason to worry, yes.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Lionel Hutz

The 92-93 Habs won the cup with something ridiculous like 12 ot wins.

Or maybe that was 86, one or the other

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
petrskudra1

It's too bad that we don't have Cooke to negate all the garbage we are gonna see from downie this series. Dude is effective at what he does but he's a total *** clown

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Quote:
Quick question, because it's been bugging me for a few days and this is a relevant time to ask it:

Does the GF/GA stat in the standings include the phantom goals for shootout wins? As in, do the teams in a 1-1 tie each only get 1 goal in their Goals For column, or does the 2nd phantom goal for a team's shootout win also get thrown in there?

gialloneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I don't think he plays consistently. Unless we can't score at all in the 1st 2 games (or an injury) then they may insert him for game 3 (I could be wrong though). These are the lines I expect for game 1 (no Crosby):

Neal - Letestu - Kovy
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Conner - Talbot - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Asham

This is the lineup I'd anticipate for the whole series if we are having success.
Double shifting kennedy

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gialloneri View Post
Quick question, because it's been bugging me for a few days and this is a relevant time to ask it:

Does the GF/GA stat in the standings include the phantom goals for shootout wins? As in, do the teams in a 1-1 tie each only get 1 goal in their Goals For column, or does the 2nd phantom goal for a team's shootout win also get thrown in there?
very good question. I never considered the implication of the shootout on goal differential.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Cspeirs4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Double shifting kennedy
I would assume he meant dupuis on the third line not kennedy

Cspeirs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Double shifting kennedy
Yes that's how good he has been. Haha good catch. I just don't like admitting Dupuis is on this team. Insert Dupuis in third line.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
GLM

Quote:
****. Not only will I not be able to go to Friday's game, I will be on the road, driving to UVA in Charlottesville, Va., from 5 to 10:30 p.m. I don't have satellite radio in my car to listen to the entire game.

i had sirius and quit a few yrs back. i think currently if you buy sirius they give 6 months free or something similar. i think now they have ipod-esque type device too that you can moutn in your car and take out to use at work, or take to the gym.

as for rental car w/sirius availabilty, but when our car was wrecked 2 Christmas's ago, we got a dodge ram with sirius already in the car. again that was 2 yrs ago but enterprise did offer.

LETS GO PENS!!!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
GLM

Quote:
exactly! i hate the shootout dynamic. so the pens are worse off because of the NHL's dumb format? drives me insane. teams like the flyers tb and wash benefited the most out of the east. they got 11-12 for LOSING a game. pens got 8 not much difference, but take out the stupid "loser point" and only hand out 2 pts for a win, here is what the final standings would be:

1. Pens 98 pts
2. Caps 96 pts
3. Bos 92 pts
4. Phil 94 pts
5. TB 92 pts
6. Mtl 88 pts * not sure on the head to head series
7. Nyr 88 pts * not sure on the head to head series
8. Buf 86 pts

lead the east in wins, but sit 4th over all.

LETS GO PENS!!!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Like I said, you can't denegrate them for taking games to shootouts but you can't prop them up for winning them either. I didn't say they won a lot of shootouts so we're going to lose the series. Basically scoring 2 goals most of the time and a 5% PP is why the series will be close. I guess I should have been more clear that that was directed at the people who are wondering why in the world anyone would pick Tampa to beat us, not the people that think it'll be close.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote