HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Tampa Bay Lightning: First Round

Old
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
gopens66
25-66-92

vCash: 500
Also ask yourselves this: How many shootout victories did the Pens have when they completely dominated the OT, but didn't score within 5 mins?

I don't have an exact number for this, but seem to remember the Pens controlling many OT periods this season.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gialloneri View Post
Quick question, because it's been bugging me for a few days and this is a relevant time to ask it:

Does the GF/GA stat in the standings include the phantom goals for shootout wins? As in, do the teams in a 1-1 tie each only get 1 goal in their Goals For column, or does the 2nd phantom goal for a team's shootout win also get thrown in there?
I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think the SO winning goal is included in the team's total GF during the season.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrskudra1 View Post
It's too bad that we don't have Cooke to negate all the garbage we are gonna see from downie this series. Dude is effective at what he does but he's a total *** clown
I didn't get to watch the last game of the season against the Lightning all that closely but it seemed like Downie was taking countless runs at players. He almost makes Cooke look like an alter boy. But I don't think we necessarily need to have Cooke to keep him in line whenever we have Asham, Rupp, Talbot and Adams that can straighten him up.

The only thing I'll miss about Cooke not being in the lineup is Lecavalier crying like a baby everytime he gets touched by him.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Because we have had trouble scoring goals over the past 40 games. But anything can happen in the playoffs. I am happy with the position we are in but no one can deny that the lack of regulation wins is quite concerning.
Also remember the players who were out that did come back.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Dinfire

Not a good matchup for the Pens here. The way the Bolts handled them in the last regular season matchup isn't encouraging, either. I'm thinking it's going at least six or seven games, but I honestly have no idea who's going to win. Essentially it all rides on the goalies.

Did you guys see that the Lightning coach swears up and down that Crosby is playing in this series? He should really do some research before speaking.

Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Eli Cash

I was hoping for a Sabres/Pens showdown, as I am 15 minutes from the HSBC, but this one will do.

Although I don't know how I feel about it. I don't exactly care for the Lightning in any way, except as a huge fan of St. Louis (who isn't). We'll have to see how well they execute their 1-3-1, and if their power play can actually work. If our PK is better than their PP I see us taking this in 6.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
Not a good matchup for the Pens here. The way the Bolts handled them in the last regular season matchup isn't encouraging, either. I'm thinking it's going at least six or seven games, but I honestly have no idea who's going to win. Essentially it all rides on the goalies.

Did you guys see that the Lightning coach swears up and down that Crosby is playing in this series? He should really do some research before speaking.
They "handled" the Pens in a 2-1 win where we were throwing everything at the net? We made Roloson look great hitting that bolt all night.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:19 PM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish79 View Post
They "handled" the Pens in a 2-1 win where we were throwing everything at the net? We made Roloson look great hitting that bolt all night.
indeed...this is not target practice, the goal is not to hit the crest! lol!

gonna be a fun series. general rule is defense wins championships so im going to go with our defense over their offense.

LETS GO PENS!!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Penguinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

"Let's grind these *****es down"
wow, awesome pic

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Pancakes

They should be. Root sports is going to carry them all, so I assume any game that isn't picked up by Versus or NBC should be watchable on gamecenter or center ice.

According to the schedule, that's all of the games unless they are blacking out the games which are (JIP-join in progress) for Versus (games 3 and 5) which would be a really ****** thing for them to do to us.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post

How stupid would it be by him not to prepare for the worst case scenario?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
How stupid would it be by him not to prepare for the worst case scenario?
You're right. You have got to prepare for the worst, especially when it comes to the best hockey player in the world.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I'm gonna say Pens in 7. Win, win, loss, loss, win, loss, win. All games won at home.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Hope Kovy steps it up, anyone know how he looked in his last playoffs?

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
In Canada, all our games will be on CBC!

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm going to move this into the TB/Pens discussion. Keep all television, game talk, line updates there.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gialloneri View Post
Quick question, because it's been bugging me for a few days and this is a relevant time to ask it:

Does the GF/GA stat in the standings include the phantom goals for shootout wins? As in, do the teams in a 1-1 tie each only get 1 goal in their Goals For column, or does the 2nd phantom goal for a team's shootout win also get thrown in there?
Based on adding up the final scores, yes, the goal differential reported on NHL.com includes shootout goals (which is really kind of silly if you ask me). So the Pens goal differential is only +32 when shootout goals for and against are removed (238 - 10 shootout goals for / 199 - 3 shootout goals against => +32).

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

I am so sure that Crosby is going to play, because the first person that Shero and Byslma would call with the news is the coach of the Lightning.

As a serious aside to all the 'OMG, all those shootouts, we are in trouble, lordy lordy, TROUBLE!!!'

The Pens were third in the league in win/loss ration in one goal games this year, winning 60% of them:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm (drop down under goal-games)

So overtime tied does not scare me overly much, and no shootouts is meaningless.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am so sure that Crosby is going to play, because the first person that Shero and Byslma would call with the news is the coach of the Lightning.

As a serious aside to all the 'OMG, all those shootouts, we are in trouble, lordy lordy, TROUBLE!!!'

The Pens were third in the league in win/loss ration in one goal games this year, winning 60% of them:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm (drop down under goal-games)

So overtime tied does not scare me overly much, and no shootouts is meaningless.
The bolded part is your own creation, nothing more. You've been arguing against yourself almost this entire time. Pointing out all the shootout wins was a means of injecting some reality into the attitude that we have nothing to fear because we've "won" all these games. As I've told you once before but will try yet another time, it's an argument that this particular series is a lot closer than people think and that the Penguins are a good, competitive team that can hold their own against anyone. That's not the same as saying we're clearly better than a lot of these teams because we've gone on a shootout tear.

Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 04-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
Also ask yourselves this: How many shootout victories did the Pens have when they completely dominated the OT, but didn't score within 5 mins?

I don't have an exact number for this, but seem to remember the Pens controlling many OT periods this season.
Also ask yourself how many entire games the Pens have dominated and eventually won in a shootout.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
mpp9

I personally feel this team is capable of winning this series with 1-0 and 2-1 victories. I wouldnt be surprised that one of our losses is 5-1 since their PP can break through when were undisciplined. Give Z the job of shutting down vinny and let stamkos/marty try and break through orpik/letang ES. If our bottom D pairing isnt awful then this series is ours. Our bottom six will get us that second or third goal.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The bolded part is your own creation, nothing more. You've been arguing against yourself almost this entire time. Pointing out all the shootout wins was a means of injecting some reality into the attitude that we have nothing to fear because we've "won" all these games. As I've told you once before but will try yet another time, it's an argument that this particular series is a lot closer than people think and that the Penguins are a good, competitive team that can hold their own against anyone. That's not the same as saying we're clearly better than a lot of these teams because we've gone on a shootout tear.
People certainly have pointed to the shootouts when the Pens' record is mentioned, both overall and the last dozen games. My response was appropriate.

As for the Pens, I see their weakness and vulnerability somewhat differently than most here. Without Crosby I see this team a lot like the furstrating Devils teams like the one we faced last year. The way to beat those teams is to get them behind, score first. We do not have the firepower to consistently come back. I like our chances in this series as I see TB as a team that could easily be frustrated by that style of play and make mistakes. Much like we used to do against the Devils time and again. And like the Devils, if we get behind we could see it get ugly the other way a game or two.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
JimsDoors

Haven't read all the posts but I'm wondering about how Tyler Kennedy is going to approach the playoffs? He's been hearing much praise that he's never heard before (NHL level) recently. Wonder if he'll approach the Playoffs as if he needs to try to do more now that he's been the most consistent goal scorer for a while now or keep doing what he's been doing and don't try to become a superstar overnight?

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
hctopcheds11

A little off topic but I'm going to my first playoff game since 2008 (where they didn't have whiteouts for that game/round, just towels) and I figured I would be getting a white out t-shirt.

Naturally, they decide you have to pay for them this year. Apparently, they are 15 bucks but I'm putting all my money into getting to Pittsburgh (I'm coming in from Cheltenham, which is close to Philadelphia). So not sure if I'll be buying the whiteout t-shirt. And interestingly enough, my only white Pens gear I have (ALL of my gear is in black) is an untouched 2009 Official Stanley Cup Champions t-shirt. I wanted to keep it in case I ever get the chance to have players sign it. I have another one of those but its all gross/etc, plus I'm superstitious and I don't know if I want to wear past Stanley Cup Champions stuff to a current Stanley Cup playoff (Not sure where this one came from).

Any one else have a similar predicament (I'm guessing not everyone is so broke).

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
A little off topic but I'm going to my first playoff game since 2008 (where they didn't have whiteouts for that game/round, just towels) and I figured I would be getting a white out t-shirt.

Naturally, they decide you have to pay for them this year. Apparently, they are 15 bucks but I'm putting all my money into getting to Pittsburgh (I'm coming in from Cheltenham, which is close to Philadelphia). So not sure if I'll be buying the whiteout t-shirt. And interestingly enough, my only white Pens gear I have (ALL of my gear is in black) is an untouched 2009 Official Stanley Cup Champions t-shirt. I wanted to keep it in case I ever get the chance to have players sign it. I have another one of those but its all gross/etc, plus I'm superstitious and I don't know if I want to wear past Stanley Cup Champions stuff to a current Stanley Cup playoff (Not sure where this one came from).

Any one else have a similar predicament (I'm guessing not everyone is so broke).
One of two things:

1) If you have other white clothing, wear it. Under Armour, Nike, etc. Just wear as much white as you can. That way you don't need Pens gear... and can match the crowd perfectly.

2) Superstitions will come and go. This is a once in a lifetime experience. Win or lose, you are getting a chance to enjoy the city on gameday. You get to go to a game where there is a white-out. It's going to be awesome either way. Take it all in and don't let the result change how you enjoyed it. I would take the shirt and wear it everyday. Shirts and memorabilia will come and go, but the event you are going to will be remembered forever.

By the way, if they don't pass out shirts... some people will be wearing whatever they bring. I hope they pass shirts out there.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote