HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So now that the year is over... Who was right

Old
04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
I said Pouliot will not be a top6 and Boyd will outscore him.

right and way wrong

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I predicted the Habs to finish 5th. Subban I had about right...the rest I missed on a little

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I don't remember which thread it was (there was a few of them) but I had predicted us to finish 6th and challenge for the division title if we stayed healthy. Which ultimately I think we did and had we been healthy maybe we do win the division?

I also thought Gomez was going to have a great bounce back year (obviously didn't happen) and I believe I had predicted something like 9G-39Pts for Subban so I wasn't far off with the point total.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Hank Scorpio

My prediction was that we would score less then last season and finish higher due to less goals against. I'm happy to say I was right by one goal in terms of our production. Normally, I wouldn't bring it up but the fact that it was by one goal is worth mentioning in my books.

That being said, I though our scoring would come mostly from our top six and, like many, thought that Cammalleri would pot at least forty this season. Can't get them all I guess.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I predicted I would experience unfathomable levels of hatred for Scott Gomez after he switched to Saku's number.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

I knew the habs would just barely scrape by and get in by the skin of their teeth like usual. I also knew the entire season and everything they did would completly rely on the performance of Price. No shockers this year, gomez sucked as usual and JM has zero direction. Be happy the conference was unusually weak.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I knew the habs would just barely scrape by and get in by the skin of their teeth like usual. I also knew the entire season and everything they did would completly rely on the performance of Price. No shockers this year, gomez sucked as usual and JM has zero direction. Be happy the conference was unusually weak.
You probably did not know it but we finished on 6th, 5 points ahead of the 9th place. We also clinched with 2 games left. We had our second best season in the last decade.

But hey, whatever makes you happy....

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
You probably did not know it but we finished on 6th, 5 points ahead of the 9th place. We also clinched with 2 games left. We had our second best season in the last decade.

Unstoppable juggernauts of the east! Cower in fear of the habs and their impressive 5 point lead! We would have been destroyed in the west but who cares, in the east we are gods. Every team in the east that missed had below .500 winning percentages so that must mean we were amazing right? So much competition, practically got in by default.

Oh lord the bar is so low for this franchise.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Dr_Hook

I thought Price wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of following the Halak heroic playoffs run, predicted he would quickly be mercilessly boohed by a resenting home crowd and end up crying in the dressingroom curled up in the feotal position...

Needless to say I was dead wrong on that one, and happy to have been !! (still have to prove himself in the playoffs though...)

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Unstoppable juggernauts of the east! Cower in fear of the habs and their impressive 5 point lead! We would have been destroyed in the west but who cares, in the east we are gods. Every team in the east that missed had below .500 winning percentages so that must mean we were amazing right? So much competition, practically got in by default.

Oh lord the bar is so low for this franchise.
You can say the bar is low or not, but we haven't been in the 8th position for pretty much the whole season, and until MaxPac went down, we were contending for the 3rd seed. So say whatever you want, but that's not going in the POs by the skin of their teeth.
But I'm not surprised this comes from you. You're incapable of recognizing improvement unless they are done by leaps.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I thought our team would gel a lot better this year. They weren't healthy last year and it was a new team, so I predicted they would benefit from having a year of experience together under their belt. It proved to be correct as our team looked much more structured and has had a more successful year.
I felt we'd be healthier, and we've somewhat been that, however we lost Markov and Gorges for the year. Clearly did not expect that and really thought we would crumble after it happened. Makes this year more impressive.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You can say the bar is low or not, but we haven't been in the 8th position for pretty much the whole season, and until MaxPac went down, we were contending for the 3rd seed. So say whatever you want, but that's not going in the POs by the skin of their teeth.
But I'm not surprised this comes from you. You're incapable of recognizing improvement unless they are done by leaps.
So you are saying our team depends solely on the play of a single rookie? That is almost worse to think our team collapses in on itself if we lose one player and does not bode well for our PO's.

Yes I am also amazed we have managed to stay slightly above average in the division where 7 of the 15 teams had terrible if not horrendous seasons redeemed by last minute runs. If the season was 10 games longer we would probably be clinging to 8th seed but I am sure you don't think about that because it isn't on a stat sheet somewhere. How is that not "going in on the skin of their teeth"? That is almost the definition. Most other teams elevate their play going into the playoffs but we kick back and relax and hope for the best. You know alot of winners that do that?

I will notice improvements when they occur. Until then we are the exact same middling team with the same results. Limping into the playoffs and hoping for a cinderella run.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
So you are saying our team depends solely on the play of a single rookie? That is almost worse to think our team collapses in on itself if we lose one player and does not bode well for our PO's.

Yes I am also amazed we have managed to stay slightly above average in the division where 7 of the 15 teams had terrible if not horrendous seasons redeemed by last minute runs. If the season was 10 games longer we would probably be clinging to 8th seed but I am sure you don't think about that because it isn't on a stat sheet somewhere. How is that not "going in on the skin of their teeth"? That is almost the definition. Most other teams elevate their play going into the playoffs but we kick back and relax and hope for the best. You know alot of winners that do that?

I will notice improvements when they occur
. Until then we are the exact same middling team with the same results. Limping into the playoffs and hoping for a cinderella run.
No, I don't think about that because the season is 82 games, not 92.

Improvements, no matter how little, over last season, have occurred, you fail to notice them.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, I don't think about that because the season is 82 games, not 92.

Improvements, no matter how little, over last season, have occurred, you fail to notice them.
Come on man give it up. I know I did. It's OSM after all.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
WestIslander

I predicted:

- Montreal will finish 6th to 8th in the east (right)
- Price will bounce back and be a top five goalie in the league (right)
- Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded (wrong)

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

You mean nobody predicted Markov would get injured? Or was that too obvious?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
neofury*

I predicted Subban and Price would have great years. I also predicted Gionta and Gomez would come out of their slumps and eventually be a huge part of our success, I'm still waiting to see playoff Gomez show up before I fully judge the matter, if he's a big part of our success in any series it will at least somewhat tip the scale in his favor cause I think 1 playoff game is worth 10 regular season easily. (16-28 games tops when a season is 82, plus it's that much more valuable)

I also predicted Plekanec would have an 80+ point season, in my pool I was disappointed when I had to settle for Kesler instead of Plekanec, I really thought they would have comparable seasons and that Plek would only be at worst slightly lower than Kesler....

I didn't predict Cammy to hit 40 but I'd love to see what a full season of Cammy+Plek+AK could accomplish.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
EXPOS123

I was extremely critical of this team because i thought it was poorly constructed by management. I predicted that they:

1) Would miss the playoffs
2) That the Leafs would be better than them
3) St.Louis would contend with Halak
4) That Markov would get injured
5) Spacek and Hamrlik would regress due to their age.
6) That AKOS and/or Pouliot would fail as top six fowards

Clearly, I was wrong on most points, and i am man enough to admit it.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
icerocket

Quote:

I will notice improvements when they occur. Until then we are the exact same middling team with the same results. Limping into the playoffs and hoping for a cinderella run.
"Let me use imaginary statistics to prove a point!"

Please Habs had a depleted D-corps and players who absolutely failed during the season (Gomez) yet still finished 6th.

Stop hating.

icerocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Bill McNeal

Correction: I was right in predicting that OSM would find new and imaginative ways to whine about the team.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
neofury*

The fact that your name is "OneSharpMarble" is getting funnier and funnier each time I read one of your quotes. Are you just trying to troll by saying the things you say, it's okay if you are, I'd actually find it funny, but seriously lately whenever I read a post it's one of those "OneSharpMarble" moments. Bringing up a hypothetical/impossible situation to prove a point. Well, if Thomas had to play another 40 games this year cause Rask was injured and only Racicot was available, then maybe Price would have the Vezina

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

And isn't that just a little bit sad ? (the fact our second best season in 10 years is 96 pts, 6th in the east)

I got a lot of things wrong. Predicted Subban would hit 55 pts. But to be fair, he was on a 55 pts pace in 2011.

I did not expect Price to be this consistently amazing. I thought Halak would be better for the blues.

We finished about where I thought we would. A bit higher, but that's mostly thanks to the sabres and devils not playing to the level they should have for the whole season otherwise we would have been 7th/8th again. But then again we had more injuries to key players than other teams so this balances things somewhat.

Last edited by Des Louise: 04-11-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=39

Prophet

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=42

Semi-prophet (got two on the dot)

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old