HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin to the Islanders?

Old
04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
Malkin has a heart made of tin , like Yashin and Kvasha
How is Malkin anywhere similar to Yashin or Kvasha? Is this the Russian bias thing, where every Russian is deemed heartless?

Malkin won a Conn Smythe trophy and had one of the most dominating playoffs a player has had since Wayne and Mario when the Pens won the Cup. He showed up when it counts and was the difference in the series against Detroit when Zetterberg/Lidstrom were smothering Crosby, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're suggesting above.

Frankly, it's beyond ridiculous to suggest someone who wins a Conn Smythe trophy (you know, for showing up and being the best player in the playoffs) has no heart.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
How is Malkin anywhere similar to Yashin or Kvasha? Is this the Russian bias thing, where every Russian is deemed heartless?

Malkin won a Conn Smythe trophy and had one of the most dominating playoffs a player has had since Wayne and Mario when the Pens won the Cup. He showed up when it counts and was the difference in the series against Detroit when Zetterberg/Lidstrom were smothering Crosby, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're suggesting above.

Frankly, it's beyond ridiculous to suggest someone who wins a Conn Smythe trophy (you know, for showing up and being the best player in the playoffs) has no heart.
heart of tin is harsh, yes, but I haven't been impressed with Malkin's big-game play as much as many have. When you consider WJC, Olympics and Playoffs, IMO, Malkin only had ONE big playoff year (when he won the Conn Smythe) but even in that playoffs, it was Sid to carried the Pens through the first round and a half, almost alone.

That said, Malkin IS a world class player. He probably doesn't compete as hard every shift as Sid, or other NHL stars but I'll agree that comparisons to other Russians is a bit off-base.

Regardless. There's close to ZERO chance the Pens move Malkin, and if they do, the Islanders need not apply unless they're willing to part with probably THREE of Tavares, Hamonic, Okposo, #4 overall.

Pens can't trade Malkin because they can't get fair value back for a guy with that skillset and pedigree and age. So it's a non-starter, really.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:39 PM
HajdukSplit

the sad thing is Butch sounded serious, if he was joking it would be one thing...even Howie was going to say something but he just stopped

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
OpAck

Easy deal to piece together.

To Isles:
Malkin
Cooke
Talbot

To Pens:
Konopka
Gillies
Martin
Haley
1st rounder

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Easy deal to piece together.

To Isles:
Malkin
Cooke
Talbot

To Pens:
Konopka
Gillies
Martin
Haley
1st rounder

Pens fans would love that one.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
hgo

If the Isles can package that pick and end up with Malkin, you have to do it. I don't see how the Isles end up with Malkin without trading one (two?) of Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, or Hamonic, though. Huge cost.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Handlanger

I would do it in a heartbeat.

And even add Bailey and Joensuu as a sweetener.
You can get Malkin - you get Malkin.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Moosie

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
So Say it's the 4th, Grabner & Okposo for Malkin. Is that a deal you make? Yeah you have a kick ass 1st line, but now your 2nd line is decimated.
I'd do that deal every day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
heart of tin is harsh, yes, but I haven't been impressed with Malkin's big-game play as much as many have. When you consider WJC, Olympics and Playoffs, IMO, Malkin only had ONE big playoff year (when he won the Conn Smythe) but even in that playoffs, it was Sid to carried the Pens through the first round and a half, almost alone.
I know that I am severely butchering your quote, but ONE Conn Smythe not only beats every active player in the NHL (except for 6), it would also stand out quite much on a team where everyone else combines for 8 playoff series won.

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post

I know that I am severely butchering your quote, but ONE Conn Smythe not only beats every active player in the NHL (except for 6), it would also stand out quite much on a team where everyone else combines for 8 playoff series won.
lol does that all come from eaton, mottau, and jurcina?

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
macavoy

It would probably take Tavarres + your 1st to get Malkin.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
lol does that all come from eaton, mottau, and jurcina?
Eaton (5!), Jurcina (1), Streit (1) and Grabner (1) actually. (I could be mistaken about Mottau, but I don't think he has ever won a series?)

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post

Don't get me wrong, the Conn Smythe and, less so but still amazing, Art Ross are significant achievements not to be taken lightly, but it DOES matter than Malkin hasn't played well AT ALL in some other huge games.

It sounds like I'm comparing Malkin to Yashin but really, I was arguing AGAINST the "tin man" comment and perceived "Russian bias".

But I do question Malkin's compete level at times, to be honest. I've seen him disappear for long stretches where it doesn't look like he cares so much.

Every player has bad stretches. Even Crosby wasn't the greatest in the Olympics (for stretches) or last year's playoffs (final round against Montreal) but Malkin is one of those guys that seems to have that on-off switch and when it's OFF it's really OFF.

You cannot question his talent. Even at half-speed he's as good as anyone in hockey. Tavares can only hope to be that good one day, to win a Conn Smythe or an Art Ross. I get that. But something about a really talented player who doesn't show up every day bothers me - and yes, Russian or not, Alexei Yashin has made me REALLY gun-shy, for good reason ($4.5 M reasons just this past season, and still more to come!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
It would probably take Tavarres + your 1st to get Malkin.
So maybe Tavares, a #4 overall pick & Okposo constitutes "fair value" but frankly, those are not players I want to part with.

I believe that there's A LOT MORE than pure talent that wins championships and a team that grows together, battles together, means much more that importing a superstar.

As I stated above, I think Malkin is a tremendous hockey player who's accomplished more before the age of 24 than many superstars EVER accomplish. Stanley Cup, Art Ross, Conn Smythe - PERIOD.

But I don't want him on the Islanders, at the cost it would take. I think you'd be ripping the soul (albeit a very small one at this stage) out of the team (maybe a bit dramatic) and adding a player who's character/work ethic/compete level is questionable.

Even Pens fans would have to agree that Malkin isn't the same player who helped bring that cup to Pittsburgh. Even though his skillset is elite with the ability to take over a game at any time.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
1 Timer

So the way this all reads it would only take the 4th overall to land Parise.... Or maybe the 4th and KO/Nino. BC Malkin is a much better player than Parise.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
So the way this all reads it would only take the 4th overall to land Parise.... Or maybe the 4th and KO/Nino. BC Malkin is a much better player than Parise.
No. Parise is a RFA. Devils arent trading him. If you were to try and sign him and for some reason the Devils chose not to match, it would cost us FOUR 1st round draft picks.
You'd also incur the ire of Lou who would likely be more than happy to float big contracts at guys like Tavares and Hamonic when they're RFA's.
We had our shot at Parise. Instead Milbury chose to draft Robert Nilsson. We're never getting that one back. Let's all move on.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

1. Never happening.

2. Wouldn't happen in this universe, or any other.

3. You'd rather keep the pick? Really? Wow. This draft isn't even that good! The drafts from the past few years have had much better top end talent. Even if it was part of a package... if the Pens offer you Malkin, you take him and run away laughing. How is this even a debate? Malkin is a top 10 player in the league but you would say no on the OFF chance that the pick would somehow turn out to be as good as Malkin? The mentality of Isles fans is just... wow. No words.

4. Did I mention this is the most unlikely "trade" in the history of made up "trades"?

Last edited by Twine Seeking Missle: 04-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

maybe I was joking , maybe I was serious
now you will never know.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote