HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks recall F Cody Hodgson and F Victor Oreskovich [official]

Old
04-14-2011, 03:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
When the hell did Cody learn to skate like he did yesterday? Usually, in the times I've seen him play (at the pro level), he always seemed to have the smarts and skill but never even average speed (had more to do with his acceleration than his top stride though). Needless to say, I was quite impressed in the limited minutes he played yesterday.
This was the first game Cody had legitimate linemates. Playing on the 4th line with Tanner Glass and Victor Oreskovich wasn't doing anything for him. Now that he's with Raymond and Hansen he can show off what he can do.

04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
There are players who show much better when playing with NHL calibre players. Usually this is a player with a high hockey IQ and the ability to think the game at the NHL level - something generally attributed to CH.

At the AHL level such players make a play and the AHL guys are a beat behind while at the NHL level there are players who get what the player is doing.

That seemed to be the case last night as he did not look out of place in limited minutes.

As far as Oreskovich - he already had 50 NHL games on his resume with Florida. Last night he used his speed and size on the forecheck and did not look out of place when he handled the puck. The Canucks won the physical battle last night and according to Mike Milbury actually intimidated the Hawks. Oreskovich was big part of that.
I think a perfect example of them being intimidated was after that late hit by Oreskovich on that offside. No one even got in his face.

adamzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
I think a perfect example of them being intimidated was after that late hit by Oreskovich on that offside. No one even got in his face.
If I remember correctly, similar things happened last year in Chicago., We basically outhit and outscored them out of their own barn. The next game Eager and Burish were in the lineup and guys like bolland/Versteeg/Brouwer etc grew a pair.

Who do they have that could counteract the Glass, Oreskovich and Torres threat to Hjarmlarsson and Campbell? John "skipped skating lessons" Scott?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
If I remember correctly, similar things happened last year in Chicago., We basically outhit and outscored them out of their own barn. The next game Eager and Burish were in the lineup and guys like bolland/Versteeg/Brouwer etc grew a pair.

Who do they have that could counteract the Glass, Oreskovich and Torres threat to Hjarmlarsson and Campbell? John "skipped skating lessons" Scott?
John Scott would be a great addition to the line up... for the Canucks.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:28 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
John Scott would be a great addition to the line up... for the Canucks.
I was so disappointed they didn't dress him!

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Absolutely nobody.

I guess Kopecky was sort of their 'grinder' guy down there, but looking like he's out. Bickell and Smith are both supposed to have size, but they seem to play pretty soft. Once Torres gets back in we're going to be running them all over the place.

And lol, hopefully they do play Scott...that guy's garbage.

Last edited by Bobby Lou: 04-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Victor Oreskovich is a gem. Prototypical 4th line RW.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Victor Oreskovich is a gem. Prototypical 4th line RW.
He was the guy I was most looking forward to seeing called up for an "audition"; but because of injuries and such he was the last of the handful of forwards who got a chance. I know his pre-season wasn't spectacular but I still wanted him to make the team over Desbiens.

I think it's his job lose in camp now.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
When the hell did Cody learn to skate like he did yesterday? Usually, in the times I've seen him play (at the pro level), he always seemed to have the smarts and skill but never even average speed (had more to do with his acceleration than his top stride though). Needless to say, I was quite impressed in the limited minutes he played yesterday.
I'm just guessing here but give him time, with his back injuries I'd imagine the first thing to go would be explosiveness in the legs. Top end speed should still be OK, he can ease your way up there, but working out to improve explosiveness burst of speed would be much more stressful on his back and he's probably focused more on core strength and staying healthy. I really hope he's able to work on it over the summer and get a better first step

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
keslehr*

So if Hodgson continues to impress in Game 2, who will come out for Torres? Ideally, Oreskovich should stay too... Raymond? But he's been doing well also.

Nice to have these problems though.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
So if Hodgson continues to impress in Game 2, who will come out for Torres? Ideally, Oreskovich should stay too... Raymond? But he's been doing well also.

Nice to have these problems though.
Glass, Glass, and more Glass.

Old
04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Glass, Glass, and more Glass.
Oh yeah, forgot about Glass. Yeah, Torres is definitely an upgrade on him.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about Glass. Yeah, Torres is definitely an upgrade on him.
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Sammy
Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen
Torres-Lappierre-Oreo

If Hodgson shows he can play, wow - what sick depth.

Old
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
PRNuck

I highly doubt we see Glass out of the lineup or Cody left in. Glass is one of AV's mancrushes and we all know AV hates rookies.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
DreamCatcher*

Raymond will slide to center and Torres will take his regular 3rd line spot. There is absolutely no way Hodgson stays in the line-up when he only plays 7 mins a game.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
He was the guy I was most looking forward to seeing called up for an "audition"; but because of injuries and such he was the last of the handful of forwards who got a chance. I know his pre-season wasn't spectacular but I still wanted him to make the team over Desbiens.

I think it's his job lose in camp now.
The Canucks were clear that they wanted Oreskovich included in the Ballard trade because they liked what he brought to the table and had a big upside.

However they also said that they felt he was brought up to the NHL too fast and that he needed at least half a season in the AHL. Eric Crawford talked about that plan just after the trade.
While defenceman Keith Ballard was the main player acquired by the Canucks, Oreskovich is no mere throw-in.

“With our third- and fourth-liners, we want to get bigger, stronger and fleeter of foot,” said Canucks director of pro scouting Eric Crawford, “all of which Victor brings.”

Crawford said he would have preferred to see Oreskovich get more seasoning in the AHL last season, though he understands why Florida called him up. He would still like to see Oreskovich playing 15-plus minutes a game in the minors to further his development, but Crawford said Oreskovich has already eliminated any concerns about the negative effects of missing two years.

“Anyone who can play 50 games in the NHL after taking a couple of years off — and key development years — that says something about his ability.”
http://www.insidehalton.com/communit...article/842739

Oroeskovich in an interview said he initially did not agree he needed more time in the AHL but he now thinks it was the right strategy. Gillis was clear from the get go he wanted Oreskovich and he had a plan for him which included time with the Moose to teach him the Canucks systems and culture. This article was written on April 3, 2011 by Jason Botchford:
Victor Oreskovich is a classic example (of a Gillis plan), the big forward who appeared to be a throw-in when Keith Ballard was acquired from Florida for Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner and last year's first round pick. When he said good things about Oreskovich, many felt it was just the usual classic lip service paid to a throw in and that the big guy would never be seen again. But he was a big part of the trade, a classic project which was an attempt on the part of the organization to generate what was used against them so well when Dustin Byfuglien terrorized them in the last two series with the Hawks.

In Oreskovich they saw potential to do what Byfuglien did as a forward, which was skate extremely well, get in some hits, play smart and perhaps eventually develop hands well enough to chip in some offence when his NHL confidence arrives. Gillis said privately the day of the trade they wanted him to spend half the season in the minors getting some confidence after being rushed into the NHL long before he was ready in Florida. A couple of injuries set the process back a shade, his earlier cup of coffee helped whet his appetite and here he is looking ready to help in the playoffs.

"Dave Gagner told me it was a good team and I might not make the team out of camp and if not to go down and work hard on some things," says Oreskovich. "They said I'd been rushed and I didn't agree. I thought I was ready. But it turns out they might have been right. I feel so much better up here now. I'm way more relaxed, I feel good with the puck and really confident around guys that are as good as the players on this team."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/wi...#ixzz1JXzy50n5

Old
04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
The Big Foot

^ Classic Wetcoaster copy and paste!

Joking aside, glad your guy has been playing the way he has. He's got beast potential. It's easy to play the whole "if he only had finish" game, but what we've got right now is pretty effective in his role on the fourth line. Great pickup MG.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Wetcoaster

According to Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province both are here for the duration and will not be returned to Manitoba, as the Canucks have used three of their four allowed recalls from the minors.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1JY5KPF7t

Old
04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Basso

Oreo Cookie is a classic example of learning from our mistakes last year vs Chicago. He does what Hordichuk and Rypien couldn't do on the 4th line.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Oreo Cookie is a classic example of learning from our mistakes last year vs Chicago. He does what Hordichuk and Rypien couldn't do on the 4th line.
For the most part I agree, but don't forget about this awesome goal:

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Hordi is exactly who i thought of after seeing the first stream of hits against the Hawks. Hordi would have been there 3 seconds later, likely banging the glass or getting an interference penalty. Good Riddance!

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
David71

big vic is fast on the forecheck thank god for mike gillis to want him in the deal along with ballard. hordysuck was useless

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
David71

Quote:
According to Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province both are here for the duration and will not be returned to Manitoba, as the Canucks have used three of their four allowed recalls from the minors.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1JY5KPF7t
well they can call them as many as they want as long as the moose is eliminated from the playoffs. chicago recalled like 6 players today

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:22 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Hordichuk was a disaster.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
There are players who show much better when playing with NHL calibre players. Usually this is a player with a high hockey IQ and the ability to think the game at the NHL level - something generally attributed to CH.

At the AHL level such players make a play and the AHL guys are a beat behind while at the NHL level there are players who get what the player is doing.

That seemed to be the case last night as he did not look out of place in limited minutes.

As far as Oreskovich - he already had 50 NHL games on his resume with Florida. Last night he used his speed and size on the forecheck and did not look out of place when he handled the puck. The Canucks won the physical battle last night and according to Mike Milbury actually intimidated the Hawks. Oreskovich was big part of that.
CH seems to have killer offensive instincts. Doesn't seem to "think" around the net - just does it. I don't think you can teach this.

However, I would disagree that he is fine w/o the puck and in puck battles - still seems overmatched generally (early in the game, maybe even on his 1st shift, his man just blew right by him). Which of course will improve over time. Lets keep in mind that his linemates last night were Hansen and Raymond; both were skating miles in both directions. In other words, they made up for CH's defensive deficiencies.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote