Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Drew Bagnall

Old
04-10-2011, 03:11 AM
ghjkfdhgfd

vCash: 500
Drew Bagnall

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing him up next season as a 7th or at least play more games, he clears the net and is a decent stay at home type. I'd rather have him up then Falk,Prosser. We need to have a Dman that punishes anyone crashing the net or causing havoc. Him and Stoner full time would help a lot. Stoner wouldn't have to worry about doing all the dirty stuff. Not to mention Bagnall is an actual fighter(so he is decent at it) but has enough skill to not play dumb. The problem is he 27(28 by next season), he is in his prime. Wasting him in the AHL for a nor season won't be worth it. Thoughts on him?

Burns,Spurgeon
Scandella,Schultz
Zanon,Stoner
Bagnall

ghjkfdhgfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Definitely feel he's more fit than Prosser up here for his physical presence and the fact that we have plenty of D that are supposed to be able to move the puck. Falk from the beginning of the season > Bagnall > Falk after the first few weeks.

Depends on which Falk shows up in camp, i guess. Bagnall has the spirit and the languishing in the minors story I like, but he could be a defensive version of Voros.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
El Nino22

Bagnall reminds of Nick Boyton, Sheldon Brookbank. A guy who can be a physical presence on your blue line, drop the gloves, but is really only effective in a limited 6/7 D type of role. I think if we already have Falk and Stoner, Bagnall becomes redundant. I definitely think he can play and would be a nice 7th D to have, but he has only had 1 game under his belt at age 27 so that is concerning.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Bagnall reminds of Nick Boyton, Sheldon Brookbank. A guy who can be a physical presence on your blue line, drop the gloves, but is really only effective in a limited 6/7 D type of role. I think if we already have Falk and Stoner, Bagnall becomes redundant. I definitely think he can play and would be a nice 7th D to have, but he has only had 1 game under his belt at age 27 so that is concerning.
I think Stoner the potential to be a #4 defensive d-man. So it might work out...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
saywut

His leadership/character are important for Houston. We have 6 d-men under contract that should be locks(Barker, Burns, Schultz, Zanon, Zidlicky, Stoner), and Spurgeon's played over 50 this year so he's got the inside track on a spot(whether you agree or not). Bagnall's good for Houston, and clearly they want him to re-sign with the organization given his call-up.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We have about a million borderline 6/7 guys. At this point we need a couple #1/2 guys.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We have about a million borderline 6/7 guys. At this point we need a couple #1/2 guys.
True, but what can we do really? The only thing we can do is draft and wait patiently

But right now, we'll have to do with what we have, which is a ton of 5/6 young d-men, some with the potential for a bit bigger things (Scandella, Stoner, Spurgeon)

Old
04-11-2011, 10:12 AM
saywut

Quote:
Which is why we should trade Burns for a forward

The fact is most of these "6/7" guys are actually not ideal "6/7"s. Guys like Falk, Prosser, they aren't ideal for #7 roles because they aren't subject to waivers, and they aren't top-6 on many teams(including ours). Look at Vancouver, they came into the season with 9 d-men on one-way contracts. We came in with 6. Injuries hit us, we turn to nobodies. Injuries hit them, they had veterans until the injuries piled up.

Barker's not even an ideal #7 because he's a top-3 pick who we gave a ton up for, he should be playing. Zanon could be, but not at that cap-hit, and Richards loves the guy.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well next year we're already committed to Burns, Schultz, Zanon, Zidlicky, and Barker for next year. That only leaves two spots, unless some guys get moved, and Stoner and Spurgeon are almost locks to make the team.

Burns started out the year a #1 all star and ended it like a crappy second pairing guy. I don't think we'd miss that performance.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Well next year we're already committed to Burns, Schultz, Zanon, Zidlicky, and Barker for next year. That only leaves two spots, unless some guys get moved, and Stoner and Spurgeon are almost locks to make the team.
Burns - Schultz
Zanon - Stoner
Zidlicky - Spurgeon
Barker - Scandella

Lets say, theoretically, Burns is traded for a yonug forward, that leaves our blueline to look something like

Zidlicky - Schultz
Zanon - Stoner
Scandella - Spurgeon
Barker

I honestly don't think it looks that bad. But it has to be a good forward, not some scrap.

EDIT: I think Burns is a great player, he is just the most moveable piece we have...

Old
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

IMO, it would look more like:

Stoner - Zanon
Zidlicky - Schultz
Scandella - Spurgeon/Barker

The top two were out best pairing when Burns went mental.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
IMO, it would look more like:

Stoner - Zanon
Zidlicky - Schultz
Scandella - Spurgeon/Barker

The top two were out best pairing when Burns went mental.
I wrote the same thing! lol

I just worked under the assumption that the top pairing and the second pairing would split time, depending on who were playing.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
saywut

That D looks alot like that Panthers' D this past year.

Zanon just became a whole lot more available with Richards being fired IMO. He's got no ties to Fletcher.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pretty sure Fletcher signed him.