HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter DeBoer fired

Old
04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
I have no clue who I want to be our coach next year.

if Lemaire is announcing tonight, I think he wont return. He would have to contemplate next season and that can't be done during tonight's game. Well if he's pushing for pick 6 then it could.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

And I guess a functional keyboard is the only thing required to post.

I don`t even know why people bother to comment on Muttley`s ****.

You want to know what happened to Haviland? Seriously? I mean, seriously? After watching Mac? I thought you were just a troll, not an...

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

no, what the hell is going on? Lemaire better come back, Kovalchuk feels more comfortable with him behind the bench and he's done so much this year, he needs to return and finish what he started.

We should be focused on winning NOW, who knows how long the adjustment period will be with DeBoer behind the bench? I don't want another MacLean situation, KEEP LEMAIRE!!

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:12 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
no, what the hell is going on? Lemaire better come back, Kovalchuk feels more comfortable with him behind the bench and he's done so much this year, he needs to return and finish what he started.

We should be focused on winning NOW, who knows how long the adjustment period will be with DeBoer behind the bench? I don't want another MacLean situation, KEEP LEMAIRE!!
I would love for Lemaire to stay but he is not going to stay for more than one year we need that stable coach that we though we had with Sutter.

EliasR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

so experiment with a new coach after Brodeur retires, I want one last shot at the cup next year dammit, and regardless of what you people say I do believe this team is close to achieving that (one PMD away, perhaps).

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
DeBoer has the right coaching philosophy for this team's personnel going forward. It makes more sense to have him than JL. Lemaire is leaving after next year regardless. Why just have one coach knowing he's done after the year when you could FINALLY have some stability. If Lou calls Brent Sutter to find out about DeBoer, he'll get a ringing endorsement. Clarkson will give one too.

This is a guy who coached the likes of Mike Richards in juniors and made a player out of him. He's really good with youngsters and plays an uptempo style with an emphasis on forechecking. He's exactly like Brent Sutter.
That's fine and all, but here's the real question: Can he coach Kovalchuk? We need a coach that will force Kovy to play defense and buy into a Devils style of hockey. Don't get me wrong, Kovy has to do Kovy and be that selfish goal scorer when the time is right. However, over the course of a whole season, he needs to play Devils hockey for the team to succeed.

If DeBoer can do that, then get him. If not, find someone else.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Can he coach Kovalchuk? Can he coach Kovalchuk? Since when we are New Jersey Kovalchuk? (well regardless the usual game outcome this season )

Old
04-10-2011, 01:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Can he coach Kovalchuk? Can he coach Kovalchuk? Since when we are New Jersey Kovalchuk? (well regardless the usual game outcome this season )
It's a team game, sure, but you can't disagree that he's one of the 3 most important players on the team. You can make a case that he IS the most important player on the team. That being said, if Kovy is buying into the team, we're Cup caliber. If he's not, we're mediocre. It's that simple. I don't want a coach that will allow Kovy to isolate himself from the team and sink us into mediocrity. I want a coach who can tap his potential and send this team to greatness.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
It's a team game, sure, but you can't disagree that he's one of the 3 most important players on the team. You can make a case that he IS the most important player on the team. That being said, if Kovy is buying into the team, we're Cup caliber. If he's not, we're mediocre. It's that simple. I don't want a coach that will allow Kovy to isolate himself from the team and sink us into mediocrity. I want a coach who can tap his potential and send this team to greatness.
I`m not saying - bring someone who hate Kovalchuk and vice versa. It`s just the dumbest thing to bring in a coach because of any player.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

He's going to Ottawa unless Lou can work his magic.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
If its not Lemaire next year. I want Deboer.

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:51 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
They'll turn on DeBoer as fast as they did on Julien, Sutter, Lemaire several times etc.

And then they'll deny that they even wanted/supported DeBoer from the start.
"They", eh? Oh, I wonder how it is to be such a genius as your highness self...

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
BeastoftheEast85

I would Lemaire, he has been unbelievable this season and commands a lot of respect.

Deboer is just older than Marty and Rolston, and like MacLean may not be able to take charge of the team. I also think their will always be a guy deserving an opportunity for head coach, so it isn't like if we don't hire Deboer, there won't be any quality coaches available in the future.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
They'll turn on DeBoer as fast as they did on Julien, Sutter, Lemaire several times etc.

And then they'll deny that they even wanted/supported DeBoer from the start.
Why does every fan base have one guy who belittles everything?

Old
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I`m not saying - bring someone who hate Kovalchuk and vice versa. It`s just the dumbest thing to bring in a coach because of any player.
I'm not saying bring in a coach just because of one player. I'm saying that whatever coach we hire better be able to handle Kovy. Otherwise, that coach won't be successful.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastoftheEast85 View Post
so it isn't like if we don't hire Deboer, there won't be any quality coaches available in the future.
Yep. Most likely. There really seems to be no one out there that stands out or that can't wait.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Come on up Pete.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Mgd31

This is like a Scott Gordon situation. Team quit on him.

Now look at the Isles

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Why does every fan base have one guy who belittles everything?
It's just Muttley he's such a character lol.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Dan-O wants Pete too.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
tailfins

I think DeBoer is interesting. I think Mike Eaves is interesting - though it might not be possible to pull him out of Wisconsin. Overall, though - as others have said - it's gotta be someone who can command Kovalchuk's respect.

The great thing about Lemaire was that he could say he centered Shutt and and Guy LaFleur. While Kovy's no doubt great, it's hard to argue with someone when they say "here's how we did it and we were one of the greatest lines in hockey and one of the greatest teams in hockey."

Other than Bowman, I don't know who else could demand that kind of respect. Maybe Messier? (obviously not coach material yet - and ex-Oilers haven't been particularly great coaches)? Trottier? (though, wow - what a failure with the Rags)

tailfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:02 PM
DownFromNJ

I think there are four criteria we should consider when looking at candidates for our coaching gig.

1) Is that coach in danger of losing the locker room? Langs is gone, and the team is much younger, but the Devils have been real coach killers for some time now. I don't think we can blame it entirely on Langs. Sutter wanted out, Julien got fired for losing the locker room, Robinson quit on the job, and of course MacLean happened. Lemaire even lost the locker room at one point. Its not just about coaching Kovalchuk.

2) Can the coach teach a young team how to play a high-quality, gritty, Devils game of hockey. There's a ton of new guys to mentor coming up. The new coach will probably play a big role in the development of Tedenby, Josefson, Merrill, Urbom, Henrique, Fayne, Taormina, and others in the very short term. That's our future right there, and the team needs it.

3) Can the coach create a winning system out of the parts available to him? This team isn't going to be especially gritty, nor is it going to rely on mobile, offensive-oriented defensemen to carry it any time soon. I don't care about the mix of offense and defense in the coach's intended system, just that he has a plan to take advantage of our great defensive blueliners and strong set of scorers on the wings. Kovalchuk is important to this, but so are guys like Rolston, Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson, and the young guys. The Devils have the talent to score goals, they just need to find some way to consistently do it.

DownFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:25 PM
NJD1982

After this season I kinda want a more seasoned coach. I don't wanna experiment with another young mostly inexperienced coach...

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
dream catcher

I'm more interested in Bob Boughner the assistant coach of Columbus, he was the coach for the Windsor Spitfires during their 2 year run of dominance.

He is a tough guy, but also calm behind the bench and seems to know what he is doing. Also played in the NHL for awhile as an enforcer which helps his reputation in the locker room.

dream catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Trying to figure out what sounds best from Kevin Clark

" And the Devils are coached by Peter Deboer "

" And the Devils are coached by Kirk Muller "

" And the Devils are coached by Mike Haviland "

" And the Devils are coached by Ken Hitchcock "