HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (3) Detroit Red Wings vs (6) Phoenix Coyotes - DET wins series 4-0

View Poll Results: WCQF: (3) Detroit Red Wings vs (6) Phoenix Coyotes
Red Wings in 4 32 6.34%
Red Wings in 5 114 22.57%
Red Wings in 6 165 32.67%
Red Wings in 7 60 11.88%
Coyotes in 4 6 1.19%
Coyotes in 5 2 0.40%
Coyotes in 6 58 11.49%
Coyotes in 7 68 13.47%
Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseone96 View Post
Ok but, how was he suppose to lead them? Song of inspiration? He went out there and worked his ass off every shift and tried to energize his team with hits? 5 on 5 is again a team thing. You can't blame a player when his team doesn't have that patience to wait for the puck to cross the opposing blue line...
How about playing hockey. He went way out of his way to try to hit players and wasted WAY to much energy hitting guys that would not fight back. Such as Datsyuk, Filppula, Helm and a few others. He really needed to pick his spots better.

And Yandle basically useless other than on the PP.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
HolyRollie

I was expecting to see the Coyotes win at least one game...thought they put up some good competition. Kind of bummed to see them get swept.

HolyRollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Wiseone96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mighty Quinn View Post
How about playing hockey. He went way out of his way to try to hit players and wasted WAY to much energy hitting guys that would not fight back. Such as Datsyuk, Filppula, Helm and a few others. He really needed to pick his spots better.

And Yandle basically useless other than on the PP.
I'm really failing to see the logic in this. I understand if he was taking dumb penalties but no. His hits came on the guys who were controlling the puck, and he was trying to set the tone (unfortunaly for the Coyotes, he was the only one) So, what spots should he have picked???
I agree on the Yandle part, that guy need to learn to play when his team doesn't have the puch but, he's young so...

Wiseone96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
nik jr

i was very surprised at this result. expected phoenix to play better, especially bryzgalov, and DRW to play worse.

DRW were mediocre for most of the season, especially defensively. if they continue to play well, they probably can actually suddenly play much better in playoffs. forechecking was hugely better in playoffs than in regular season. that may have been the best kronwall has played.

D and PK should still be better, though.

i hope phoenix fans can keep their team.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
I'm really failing to see the logic in this. I understand if he was taking dumb penalties but no. His hits came on the guys who were controlling the puck, and he was trying to set the tone (unfortunaly for the Coyotes, he was the only one) So, what spots should he have picked???
I agree on the Yandle part, that guy need to learn to play when his team doesn't have the puch but, he's young so...
My point is this. Play hockey first and hit second. If a hit is there take it. But he tried to search out anyone to hit. Of his 3 goals 2 came on the PP. He needed more offense 5 on 5. But with all of that said I'd take him on my team but he CAN'T be the go to guy.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Wiseone96

Quote:
My point is this. Play hockey first and hit second. If a hit is there take it. But he tried to search out anyone to hit. Of his 3 goals 2 came on the PP. He needed more offense 5 on 5. But with all of that said I'd take him on my team but he CAN'T be the go to guy.
I think you need to be in control of the puck in ordfer to be able to score 5-5 and once again, he's done his job! And yes he was very physical but, this is the first time I see someone who says it's a bad thing. When the opposing team had the puck, he was looking to hit that player. That is hockey. And he also back checked, he tried to create scoring chances, but once again when the team sits back, you're not going to get anything done by yourself. Phoenix scored 9 goals in this series and he had something to do with four of them, thats pretty much half the teams offense. Again, I don't see the logic. It's like we were watching a different game... Yes I saw one team play extremely well and the other just didn't seem to be able to keep up. Doan however was the exception...

Old
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
I think you need to be in control of the puck in ordfer to be able to score 5-5 and once again, he's done his job! And yes he was very physical but, this is the first time I see someone who says it's a bad thing. When the opposing team had the puck, he was looking to hit that player. That is hockey. And he also back checked, he tried to create scoring chances, but once again when the team sits back, you're not going to get anything done by yourself. Phoenix scored 9 goals in this series and he had something to do with four of them, thats pretty much half the teams offense. Again, I don't see the logic. It's like we were watching a different game... Yes I saw one team play extremely well and the other just didn't seem to be able to keep up. Doan however was the exception...
He had 5 points and 3 were on the PP. I can't see how you can say his tactics were effective?

Old
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Wiseone96

Quote:
He had 5 points and 3 were on the PP. I can't see how you can say his tactics were effective?

He was the only one on his team who showed up to play! In this case, you're taking the failure of the whole team and attribute it to one player. As an induvidual he was effective. Phoenix as a team was not. When you say five on five, what does that mean to you exactly???? It takes five guy on the ice to play the game. When four don't show up, see how many points any player gets...

Old
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
He was the only one on his team who showed up to play! In this case, you're taking the failure of the whole team and attribute it to one player. As an induvidual he was effective. Phoenix as a team was not. When you say five on five, what does that mean to you exactly???? It takes five guy on the ice to play the game. When four don't show up, see how many points any player gets...
Well maybe we have question his leadership abilities. He has a responsibilty to motivate his team.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:32 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Doan was mostly effective, but he was guilty of this a few times early on. He would hit a player and look for another hit when the puck was in a position for him to take. Separating Detroit from the puck in only half the battle, he ignored the puck after the hit. Although he stopped doing this pretty quick. It's not like he did that all series long.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Wiseone96

Quote:
Well maybe we have question his leadership abilities. He has a responsibilty to motivate his team.
Ok at this point we're going around in circles... Personally I would blame the coaching and management on this one. Doan was the best player on his team, I'm not sure what can be more motivating than seeing your captain playing his butt-off.

After giving up 4 goals in three straight, maybe just maybe it's time to try something new...

Old
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Wiseone96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
Doan was mostly effective, but he was guilty of this a few times early on. He would hit a player and look for another hit when the puck was in a position for him to take. Separating Detroit from the puck in only half the battle, he ignored the puck after the hit. Although he stopped doing this pretty quick. It's not like he did that all series long.

I missed the first game of this series so if thats the case, can't argue one way or the other. In the three that I saw, I can't say that his hits were always necessary for the particular play but, I can't see how anyone can fault him for trying to get something going for his team.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Ok at this point we're going around in circles... Personally I would blame the coaching and management on this one. Doan was the best player on his team, I'm not sure what can be more motivating than seeing your captain playing his butt-off.

After giving up 4 goals in three straight, maybe just maybe it's time to try something new...
Doan shouldn't have to motivate his team for the playoff series that happened. The players have to motivate themselves first; they are competing for the Stanley Cup and chasing THEIR dream. That alone should be enough and if it isn't then Dave Tippet and the other coaches are responsible for motivating. Doan tried his best... you can tell just by the way he played. But for whatever reason (I'm guessing the off ice issues) the rest of the Phoenix team didn't show up and it's on them not Doan. Before it's on Doan it's on Dave Tippet (and I don't think it was his fault at all. I think it was the threat of moving to Winnipeg being overwhelming for most of the players. Doan is the only that has experience with such a situation)

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
Doan shouldn't have to motivate his team for the playoff series that happened. The players have to motivate themselves first; they are competing for the Stanley Cup and chasing THEIR dream. That alone should be enough and if it isn't then Dave Tippet and the other coaches are responsible for motivating. Doan tried his best... you can tell just by the way he played. But for whatever reason (I'm guessing the off ice issues) the rest of the Phoenix team didn't show up and it's on them not Doan. Before it's on Doan it's on Dave Tippet (and I don't think it was his fault at all. I think it was the threat of moving to Winnipeg being overwhelming for most of the players. Doan is the only that has experience with such a situation)
Yzerman was held accountable when Detroit wasn't winning cups. When you're the captain rightly or wrongly you ARE responsible for the play of your team.

BTW aren't majoirty of the Phoenix players from Canada? How would where they play next year effect the team on the ice today? That's a weak excuse IMO.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Wiseone96

I'm with Quinn on this one. I understand that the uncertanty of their future can be distracting an all... However, at the end of the day, they still are professionals playing for the prize. Quite honestly, if I was in their place, I would want to go out on top.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Wings4Life

All I want for Christmas is to bounce the Nucks this playoffs!

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote