HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official development camp thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
Hw didn't receive any huge money yet !!!
Money???

I dont think that what changed Hossa at all. For him its a lack of confidence and character to some extent. He would rather dish off that puck to someone instead of trying to do it himself. If he can learn to be more independant and gain confidence, Hossa can be very goos, he has the skill. Money i dont think is a factor at all, and thats the first i have heard of that....

Old
07-09-2004, 07:01 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
How do you know he wasent working out with a trainer to add muscle?????

Theres a number of possiblities, including yours. The fact however is, we dont know which one it is.....
Whatever, he isn't "big" by NHL standards. Average maybe, but not "big". That is the post I was responding to.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Whatever, he isn't "big" by NHL standards. Average maybe, but not "big". That is the post I was responding to.
Ok fine, but he wont get pushed around and can use that weight to his advatage when cutting in on defenders. It does make a difference if you can learn to use that extra. Having is just another advantage, without it, you cant take advatage of it.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Malgré tout, le blondinet attaquant, qui fait six pieds et 208 livres, a démontré des habiletés que l'on rencontre rarement chez un jeune de 19 ans.
Woah, if indeed this is accurate and he gained close to 20lbs in one year, he sure did his homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Kostitsyn rêve de jouer en Amérique du Nord dès cette année. A Montréal, à Hamilton ou dans le junior.

«Il sait que son avenir est en Amérique, tant sur la glace qu'à l'extérieur de la patinoire», dit son conseiller Vadim Azrilyant, qui agissait également comme interprète.

«Il veut venir ici le plus rapidement possible.»
Good, this basically confirms that there's a very strong chance Kostitsyn signs with us this year, lock-out or not.

Thanks for the article Slick Nick.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:24 PM
CaptainCanada

Prospects Camp News

I was there from 2 PM until a bout a quarter to 4.... watched pretty much everything.. No scrimmage. The day was underlined by lots of skating and a good amount of shooting. You had your 2 on 1s, 2 on 2s, etc. Doug Jarvis was the man running the show this afternoon, and he did a really good job. Calm, clear and efficient, wouldnt be surprised if he were coach one day. Anyways, here is the rundown on some of the players..

Andrei Kastsitsyn - I was not very impressed with AK today... he was floating around most of the time... but at times he did show excellent speed and hands.. Good variety of shots, but seemed to shoot on the goalie too much. His shot is extremely heavy; the bad part is i know that cuz he was also missing the net a lot, causing huge noises on the boards, lol. Mind you its only the first day, but his tentativeness worries me..

Kyle Chipchura - He is litterally what the scouts make him out to be... Good hands, decent wheels, defensively aware, but not a standout (at least not today). He was probably the most talkative amongst the players along with Locke, which shows his leadership qualities. He seems to do the little things well, such as cycling and positioning. Reminds me of Rod Brind'amour.

Corey Locke - Best player on the first day. His skating is really not that bad, he has awesome hands, albeit he is on the smallish side. Always shot high on the butterfly goalies there and scored most of the time. His best asset is his on-ice vision. I think we have a Ribeiro look alike here. Showed good leadership and looked very comfortable.

Jimmy Bonneau - Somebody asked on this guy. He is... well... big. Didnt drop the gloves. Doesnt have much skill, but does check well. Was pinniing defensemen quite easily on 2 on 2s, which was funny, he was the only one doing it. Very average speed.

Cory Uruqhart - Looked very good as well. I was impressed.

Maxim Lapierre and Danny Stewart also had flashes of nice skill and showed willingness to get somewhat physical.

The only defenseman that I liked was Korpikari. Makes a good outlet pass, skates well, and is very sound one on one. O'Byrne and Archer need to improve skating.

The goalies were pretty bad. Danis is the only one that shows promise. Halak is stand up and got beat low a few times. The other goalies go down to fast into the butterfly and get beat high a lot.

The tryouts indeed looked like tryouts, nothing to be reported there. Everyone who I did not mention was unnoticeable and some were simply pylons ice.

If you have any specific questions dont be afraid to ask.

Edit: Sorry guys, didnt see the official thread. Mods, if you like, you can transfer this there if you can....

Old
07-09-2004, 07:36 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Here it's the TRADUCTION of the CYBERPRESSE I try hard to traduct it so be cool with me don't say that it's the worst traduction from french to english that I ever seen .

Andreï Kastsitsyn gave its first blows of skates in the Canadiens uniform, Friday, at the time of the first day of the camp of development of the team which is held in Pierrefonds. Blows of extremely awaited skates since Belarus not seen him since its selection (10th rank) by the Habs one with the fishing out of 2003 in Nashville. It is difficult to don't enjoy in front of a so beautiful talent. However, Kastsitsyn didn't skate for two months. Moreover, it fitted new boots. And one says nothing the time shift. Despite everything, the assailing light-haired boy, who makes six feet and 208 pounds, showed skills that we seldom meets in a 19 year old young person. In fact, it had the paces of a Marian Hossa as well by its way of skating as by its general behavior on the skating rink. "I am not satisfied. Give me still two or three days", it has says to Trevor Timmins, the personnel manager of the players, at his exit of the ice. "I am to only 35 or 40 percent of my real shape", it specified. Timmins, which claimed, was very eulogistic in the circumstances. "he is more advanced than was Alexander Perezhogin at the same age ", it commented while speaking about the second choice of the Canadiens in 2001. Kyle Chipchura, the first choice of the Habs in 2004, had the oppurtinity to face Kastsitsyn in a pre-season game at the time of a match in Minsk. "It's a whole player, has it says. I remember that he ridiculus us a couple of time. It is the best forward that I faced this year ''.

North America...

Kastsitsyn dreams to play in North America as of this year. In Montreal, in Hamilton or in the junior. "He knows that its future is in North America, so much about the ice or off the ice", known as its adviser Vadim Azrilyant, who also acted as interprets. "He wants to come here most quickly possible." It should be known that Kastsitsyn not appreciated his experience with the CSKA of Moscow, the ancient formation of the RED ARMY directed by Viktor Tikhonov. "I did not had the confidence of the coach, it explained. It's difficult to be put forward when we makes only two or three shift by period." Its chances to have a better ice time this year do not seem better because from now he will be considered as foreign player. The Russian championship don't want three foreigners per team and the trainers will want to privilege players of experience. Kastsitsyn is still related for two years to the CSKA. But according to its agent, a contract of the national League will cancel its agreement with the club of Moscow. Kastsitsyn, which defines as a team player, estimates not to have taken of risk while taking part in the camp of development of the Canadiens without holding contract. "The Canadiens has also taken a risk by selecting me with the fishing out, answers it. It's my turn now to prove my value. For me, it's does not have a risk." The decision to offer a contract to him belongs now to Bob Gainey.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 07-09-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old
07-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Andreï Kastsitsyn gave its first blows of shoes in the Canadiens uniform
:lol

Now that's funny. Better fix it TGO.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:42 PM
marvelousmotion

Hi all. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts on the development camp. I really want to go see Kastsitsyn. Unfortunetely, I don't know Pierrefond really well and don't know how to get there. Can anyone please explain me how to go to Pierrefond's arena where the development camp is being held ? Either by bus or by subway(metro). Thanks in advance.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
:lol

Now that's funny. Better fix it TGO.
sorry for the mistake ! :lol but that's funny as like you said.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 07-09-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old
07-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Money???

I dont think that what changed Hossa at all. For him its a lack of confidence and character to some extent. He would rather dish off that puck to someone instead of trying to do it himself. If he can learn to be more independant and gain confidence, Hossa can be very goos, he has the skill. Money i dont think is a factor at all, and thats the first i have heard of that....
Well, at the start of last season, I don't know if it was on CKAC or RDS, but one of the journalists said he was more concerned about his car or leather jackets than about playing hockey. That's about the same thing that was told about Chouinard. In Hainsey's case, it's different. He was always overconfident and didn't lose that caracteristic yet indeed...

Old
07-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1
Hi all. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts on the development camp. I really want to go see Kastsitsyn. Unfortunetely, I don't know Pierrefond really well and don't know how to get there. Can anyone please explain me how to go to Pierrefond's arena where the development camp is being held ? Either by bus or by subway(metro). Thanks in advance.
The best way is by train.... from 'Mont-Royal' station or 'Centrale' station (Bonaventure metro) to 'Sunnybrooke' station for instance.

If you have time, you can go till metro Côte-Vertu and then take the 64 and 68.... for more than an hour of bus.

Anyway, you should wait till september when the rookie camp will start. Kostistyn will be inked for sure, and will participate to that camp which could be either at the Martin Lapointe arena or the Brébeuf arena.

Old
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I attended the development camp from 2:00 to 3:15 today and the following is my opinion on some of the players present:

Andrei Kastsitsyn – One of the better skaters present at the camp today. He did not have break-a-way speed, but his skating was effortless. He was excellent in the puck control and passing drills, the stick work is definitely there. His release is as quick and smooth as some top NHLers, the strength and speed of his shot are there, but the aim was not there today, most shots missing the net or hitting the goaltender in the pads or chest. His frame is bigger than I had expected, hes not exceptionally tall, but hes got a wide frame and showed good balance when confronting a defenseman. Was poor on the one on one drills, playing along the perimeter most of the time. Solid in most areas, though his physical play needs some work, he showed enough skill to beat defenseman one on one, but doesn’t use his strength in those situations.

Corey Locke – A man among boys today, Locke showed why he was the top scorer in the CHL these past two seasons. His skating strides are slow (especially when accelerating), though his speed is not as bad as some have described in the past, a Ribeiro type skater. His shot was what impressed me most, a quick deceptive shot which caught the goaltenders off guard on more than one situation. He faired the best in the passing and stickhandling drills. He looks small on the rink, especially next to the likes of Archer, but his height is not that bad, his frame seems to be the problem. His moves and plays we’re well liked by the audience. He looked like a future NHLer out there, his shot, vision, playmaking and stickhandling are NHL ready, he just needs to keep working on his skating strides and his lower body strength.

Kyle Chipchura – I was disappointed with his play today to say the least. His passes were more often than not received in the skates rather than on the tape, for a supposed playmaker they looked lousy. His shot needs a lot of work, though he has said he will work on it this offseason, the strength and speed just isn’t there. His skating was good, a lot better than I had anticipated. Archer managed to contain him very effectively on one-on-one situations. His strength, physical play and defensive game were hard to judge most drills being of the skilled variety. He’s one of the youngest invitees, so this is somewhat normal.

Those were the three I concentrated on; the rest of the players will have briefer descriptions.

Cory Urquhart – Has bulked up since last summer’s prospect camp, didn’t appear to be as lanky as before. Andre Savard’s comments about his hands were just, he made some nice passes, dangles and had a pretty impressive shot. Seemed more willing to confront defenseman on one-on-one situations, something he had problems with last season. His skating got better, though it still needs a bit of work. Displayed a great attitude, during the free shots period he liked to joke around with other players.

Michael Lambert – One of the better players today, hes got a strong accurate shot and challenged defenseman on one-on-one situations. Should be interesting to see what he can do in Hamilton next season.

Jimmy Bonneau – This guy will be a fan favourite when he makes it to the NHL. His physical skills were not on display, but he has a nose for the net and a surprisingly good shot. Scored one of the nicer top corner goals today. He reminds me of Chris Simon in some ways, though will most likely never become a top 9 player. He will be a good enforcer who can score once in awhile, not one of those uni-dimensional goons we see so often.

Maxim Lapierre – Was one of the more physical players today, but the skill drills aren’t his domain. He did fairly well in all the categories, but nothing stood out. Guy sitting next to me (who’s brother supposedly plays in the Q) said hes got a good reputation in the Q however.

Jonathan Ferland – Was the leader on the ice today, most likely because of his experience. His offensive skills are not that impressive, but hes a big guy that everyone seemed to like. If he rounds out his game, he may be a good 4th line energy player who can provide some offense.

Alex Dulac – I see why McKeen’s said he was not good enough to be drafted in this years entry draft, he was the worst player on the ice, he stood out in a bad way. His skating was extremely poor, was the only one that lost his footing on more than one occasion, and constantly fanned on his passes and shots. On one-on-ones he refused to challenge the forward, something worrisome about a physical stay at home defenseman Timmin’s described him as.

Andrew Archer – Or was it Mike Komisarek? They look similar not only in style, but in physical appearance as well. They have the same sized frame and play a similar game. Komisarek is better positionally when playing defense, but Archer has a mean streak Komisarek is lacking. Archer was in Chipchura’s face all day, to the point where I actually felt sorry for Chipchura. Was one of the oldest players present, so hes further along in his development.

Greg Stewart – He looks physically imposing and has a nice slaper. Didn’t pay much attention to him, but his some of his shots were impressive.

Danny Stewart – Had a bad first impression of him at last years prospect camp, so I have never liked him. Not particularly good at anything, and has that Ribeiro smirk I hate so much.

Mark Flood – To tell you the truth, I didn’t pay much attention to him, like most defenseman.

Oskari Korpikari – The defenseman I paid most attention to because his size surprised me. I had always thought he was a small offensive minded defenseman but he seemed the total opposite today. I have never played defense so I don’t like commenting on specifics about their play, but he looked good none the less.

Christian Larivee – Showed some nice flashes, has a nice frame, but or else was pretty normal for an “overagers”.

I didn’t pay much attention to the goalies, and was on the opposite side of Danis so I don’t know how he faired. Lindberg was impressive though, he’s small but he’s one of the fastest goalies I’ve seen. His glove positioning is somewhat unorthodox, but it seems to work well for him.

I paid no attention to the try-outs, though Labelle stood out on more than one occasion. I wouldn’t mind having him signed for the AHL or ECHL.

The above is my opinion anyways, I am by no means a professional scout, just what I thought of the players present. Its hard watching 25 different players at once, so most of my comments are based on what stood out and what didn’t.

(Typed this quickly so the grammar aint perfect )
Thanx alot you win 3 bananas!

Old
db23

Thanks for your contribution. It seems to confirm most of the other impressions that have been posted. I've long felt that Corey Locke was the most likely of the players in camp to be an NHL player. Followed by Cory Urquhart and now Kyle Chipchura. In the long term there isn't much there, 90% of those players will be long gone and forgotten within 2 years.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:57 PM
germanative

How was Christian-Pierre Godin?

Old
07-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:

By the way, its Kostitsyn with an o, its been confirmed finally!

Look at the back of his jersey... There is an image in that habsworld uniform. It clearly says Kastsitsyn.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:59 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
It was an error. It was confirmed with an "0".

Old
07-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
It was an error. It was confirmed with an "0".

Ah, fair enough.

It's great to hear he looks good, though. He said he was at about 35-40% of his form. This is really promising I really hope he stays in NA next year.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:03 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
The best way is by train.... from 'Mont-Royal' station or 'Centrale' station (Bonaventure metro) to 'Sunnybrooke' station for instance.

If you have time, you can go till metro Côte-Vertu and then take the 64 and 68.... for more than an hour of bus.

Anyway, you should wait till september when the rookie camp will start. Kostistyn will be inked for sure, and will participate to that camp which could be either at the Martin Lapointe arena or the Brébeuf arena.
Thanks for the info !

Old
07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
46 is probably the ugliest number I have ever seen. I just hope Kastsitsyn will not wear it.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Higgins-Koivu-Kastitsyn
Bulis-Ribeiro-Zednik
Hossa-Bonk-Begin
Perezhogin-Plekanec-UFA

Ok, start the season
Where's our second leading scorer Michael Ryder??

Old
07-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Well, at the start of last season, I don't know if it was on CKAC or RDS, but one of the journalists said he was more concerned about his car or leather jackets than about playing hockey. That's about the same thing that was told about Chouinard. In Hainsey's case, it's different. He was always overconfident and didn't lose that caracteristic yet indeed...
I have never seen or heard of that video, but if you say you saw it then its certainly possible. However you have to remember hes young, and when your young and have money, you tend to want to spend. That doesnt mean however that hes greedy, and isnt trying because he got his big cheque. What the journalist said was probably just speculation anyways. How could he possibly figure out what Hossa value more in life???

Also look at it from his point of view. If you were Hossa, and couldnt crack the nhl, and money was your main intention, would you not play harder or work harder and try to improve?? By moving up to the nhl or reaching his full potential he could earn 3-4 times as much as he currently makes. Im sure Hossa wants to be an nhler. Its more than just money. Like i said earlier he seems to lack confidence and character. If he could ever find that extra gear and gain some confidence he would do very well.

I dont know if you remember, but do you remember when Hossa was called up earlier last season and put on the first line with Koivu and Zednik, and scored like 5 goals in 5-6 games. He was estatic on every goal he scored. Hossa has heart, and does want to play in the nhl imo, however he still lacks some other attributes it takes to get him there. Next season will be his last chance, and i truely believe he will show up and play well next season, if there is one that is.

Last summer he worked hard with his brother in the summer to bulk up and get better, and im sure he will do the same this summer. Hossa, yes im gona predict now, will have a break out season next year........(God i hope so)!!!!

Hes got the skill, hes got the size, he just need confidence imo.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Joe Malone

209 pounds and only 35-40% of his form?

Hmmm.....he must have been sitting back drinking a few beers since his Russian season ended.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Where's our second leading scorer Michael Ryder??
He told me he traded Ryder and Breezy for Pronger, true story. Ask him if you dont believe me!

He was joking around of course!

Old
07-09-2004, 08:24 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
209 pounds and only 35-40% of his form?

Hmmm.....he must have been sitting back drinking a few beers since his Russian season ended.
I don't think so, I THINK he makes somes exercises to gain weight and have more muscle because I saw him now without the habs uniform and he looked more MUSCLED !

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/r...newsItemID=3854 I know the picture is too dark to see his hands but look this picture on a software like FIREWORKS and reduce the brightness and you'll see his hands.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I don't think so, I THINK he makes somes exercises to gain weight and have more muscle because I saw him now without the habs uniform and he looked more MUSCLED !
Ya i agree, although its difficult to really tell, he looked well built, and didnt look like he was over weight. Plus.......im sure he was working out to some extent like you say.

Closed Thread