HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

(1) VAN vs. (8) CHI WCQF Matchup (All series talk here)

Old
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think that a big thing being overlooked is the Canucks losing Malhotra

To me he was the big difference between this years Canucks and Last years. His lose could be devastating
I agree that this isn't being talked about enough.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Only 7? wow.

When I worked in steel formation the union gave us 20. 1 point for being late 2 points for not showing up.

Also, if you had a good attendance record for 30 days they'd knock 2 points off your record and give you a $$ attendance bonus.
There are very few strong unions left, especially around Chicago.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Hawks in six. All it takes is an early lead and Lou will crumble.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I agree that this isn't being talked about enough.
I agree as well. Losing Malhotra was devastating. Hawks have two top 5 faceoff men in the league (Johnson is 1st and Toews is close). That's going to be huge for us in this series. Most of all, it forces Kesler into more of a shutdown role which negates his offensive contributions a little.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Well, one positive about having a larger fan base on here is that when 8 of our posters get inevitably banned, we'll still have more than 5-6 people left.
Yeah to be honest I am thinking either we need Canucks fans banned from the Hawks board for the length of the series before it even starts, or I think I'll take a vacation from the boards myself to avoid having to read them, the temptation will be too great.

Canucks in 5, btw... I see none of the heart on the Hawks this year they had the previous two.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:

To me he was the big difference between this years Canucks and Last years. His lose could be devastating
It is a massively underrated loss to the Canucks. He was such a critical component of the dressing room and the team's defensive conscience. Make no mistake, his loss is huge.

I would argue that our defense (+ Hamhuis and Ballard from last year) is a marked improvement over years' past, especially if they can remain healthy. When you compare the 10/11 Canucks' D to last year's...Hamhuis/Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Edler/Salo/Ballard vs. Bieksa/Salo/Ehrhoff/Edler/O'Brien/Alberts, it will hopefully make a big difference.

The biggest factor in this series--to me, at least--is the mental component. The Canucks are deeper and stronger than last year, but the Hawks still have plenty of weapons at their disposal and, IMO, an upgrade in goal. The real question is going to be whether the Hawks can set up shop in the collective head of the Canucks and Luongo again. If they can, I see you guys taking it. If not, I think it could go our way.

Either way...best of luck to you all. Bring on Game 1!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, any idea on your starting lineup for Game 1? Working on our PGT/GDT. Thanks!

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It is a massively underrated loss to the Canucks. He was such a critical component of the dressing room and the team's defensive conscience. Make no mistake, his loss is huge.

I would argue that our defense (+ Hamhuis and Ballard from last year) is a marked improvement over years' past, especially if they can remain healthy. When you compare the 10/11 Canucks' D to last year's...Hamhuis/Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Edler/Salo/Ballard vs. Bieksa/Salo/Ehrhoff/Edler/O'Brien/Alberts, it will hopefully make a big difference.

The biggest factor in this series--to me, at least--is the mental component. The Canucks are deeper and stronger than last year, but the Hawks still have plenty of weapons at their disposal and, IMO, an upgrade in goal. The real question is going to be whether the Hawks can set up shop in the collective head of the Canucks and Luongo again. If they can, I see you guys taking it. If not, I think it could go our way.

I agree Hamhuis is an improvement but honestly never been a fan of Ballard and find him overated.

We shall see but until Luongo and the Canucks prove they can keep there heads on straight I have no doubts the Hawks will win.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
I agree Hamhuis is an improvement but honestly never been a fan of Ballard and find him overated.

We shall see but until Luongo and the Canucks prove they can keep there heads on straight I have no doubts the Hawks will win.
You may be onto something with Ballard, although I think he has quickly gone from overrated to underrated over the course of this year, which has been the worst year of his career in many respects. Offensively, it's been a write-off.

The thing about him, however, is I think his game is geared for the intensity of the playoffs. If you look closely, he has a very Chelios-esque approach to play in front of the net...namely he's going to be getting his stick into some very uncomfortable places. Is it dirty? You'd better believe it. Is it effective? That too. He's been the recipient of more cross-checks to the face/head this year than anyone else on the Canucks for this reason. But it also makes him surprisingly effective at clearing the crease.

To your second point, also true. If Luongo can't shake the Hawks out of his head, this series will be over in a hurry.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
You may be onto something with Ballard, although I think he has quickly gone from overrated to underrated over the course of this year, which has been the worst year of his career in many respects. Offensively, it's been a write-off.

The thing about him, however, is I think his game is geared for the intensity of the playoffs. If you look closely, he has a very Chelios-esque approach to play in front of the net...namely he's going to be getting his stick into some very uncomfortable places. Is it dirty? You'd better believe it. Is it effective? That too. He's been the recipient of more cross-checks to the face/head this year than anyone else on the Canucks for this reason. But it also makes him surprisingly effective at clearing the crease.

To your second point, also true. If Luongo can't shake the Hawks out of his head, this series will be over in a hurry.
Sounds like recipe for disaster for Canucks

Lets say Kopecky does his usual and stands in front of net taking big abuse from defender. Kopecky is weak on his skates so it is very noticeable when he is cross checked , etc repeatedly

Sounds like recipe for many a Hawk PP's

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Sounds like recipe for disaster for Canucks

Lets say Kopecky does his usual and stands in front of net taking big abuse from defender. Kopecky is weak on his skates so it is very noticeable when he is cross checked , etc repeatedly

Sounds like recipe for many a Hawk PP's
That's the thing; Ballard doesn't crosscheck. He doesn't do anything that necessarilly gets noticed.

Two examples. In a game against Dallas this year, Ballard skates up behind the forward standing in front of Schneider. He places his stick between the forward's(might have been Neal's?) legs and taps him gently on the cup. Neal turns around and crosschecks Ballard in the face, earning himself a penalty.

In another case(the 5-0 win against Minnesota, I think) Ballard and an opposing forward go down in a heap. Ballard "accidentally, on purpose" lands on the Minnesota forward's head. (there was a pretty good caption of it in the Province newspaper)

Those are just a couple of examples. Like I said, Chelios-esque. Small enough to avoid the notice of the officials, but big enough to be a pain in the butt. It's the part of Ballard's game that has surprised me the most since his arrival(his lack of offensive contribution to this point being the part that has disappointed me the most).

Old
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Illinihockey

I think the Hawks can play with Vancouver 5 on 5, but they can't start taking stupid penalties like they did down the stretch this year. Our PK sucks and Vancouver will light us up if we parade to the box.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
darkcaptain86

Quote:

EDIT: Forgot to ask, any idea on your starting lineup for Game 1? Working on our PGT/GDT. Thanks!
We'll know the line up when Blackhawks practice tomorrow (Off today) Q like to switch it up alot as you guys know.

I hope to god Bolland is on the fast track. And who do you guys think the Hawks will call up from Rockford?

darkcaptain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post

Canucks in 5, btw... I see none of the heart on the Hawks this year they had the previous two.
I got this from the Sharks board, mainly about record of teams in the playoff against other playoff teams:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...ff-bound-teams
Quote:
W L OTSOL PTS W%
San Jose Sharks 26 13 5 57 0.648
Chicago Blackhawks 21 14 7 49 0.583
Anaheim Ducks 23 17 3 49 0.570
Nashville Predators 21 13 6 48 0.600
Phoenix Coyotes 19 18 9 47 0.511
Los Angeles Kings 21 20 3 45 0.511
Detroit Red Wings 19 17 5 43 0.524
Vancouver Canucks 17 13 7 41 0.554
Quote:
Out of division The Canucks division record was 18-4-2. Their record against other non playoff teams was 19-2-0 (both losses to St Louis). Their easy division helped, but their utter dominance of out of division non-playoff teams was a bigger factor in this particular stat.

Mules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I got this from the Sharks board, mainly about record of teams in the playoff against other playoff teams:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...ff-bound-teams
Thank you. Definitely makes me feel a little better about our chances

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

If the Nucks play like the team they've been all year, then this series is over quick. Like 5 games....if the Hawks can dig deep and get great goaltending then I see a Game 7 OT win in the cards.

Players to watch for the Hawks outside of the core....Ben Smith for starters...I honestly think he makes a name for himself in this series..the last 2 games at least he's showed a ton of tenacity and goes hard to the net. We just gotta do exactly like we did the last two years to the Canucks. Get in Luongos' crease, badger him taunt him, everything we did before.

Smith, Brouwer and Bickell all need to be like Buff was (or attempt to).....Kopecky and Stalberg will reprise the role of Burish and Eager and Bolland needs to be Bolland. It's too bad that we don't have enough **** disturbers this year, so Q really needs to sit down the 3rd and 4th lines and show them video of the last 2 series.

The Hawks just need to go out and have fun...we've already proven we can beat these guys (twice) and have a won a Cup. So if we did lose, taking into account our season and roster I'm not gonna be surprised.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Pascha

Hawks have nothing to lose here - all the pressure is on Vancouver to come out and prove that they are a different team this year. Going to be really fun either way.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
shakes the clown

I see this series going one of two ways. I'd say there is about a 90% chance we get swept like the bums we are. Or there is about a 10% chance we really do have some sort of voodoo curse on them and we win in 6. I'm praying for the latter but the former is much more likely.

shakes the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
Agreed, but I'll find a way to downplay them if we advance against someone with a better percentage than us.

RollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Hawks have nothing to lose here - all the pressure is on Vancouver to come out and prove that they are a different team this year. Going to be really fun either way.
They have the series and the cup defense to lose.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

It's hard to disagree with this statement, Manny was huge for us. But I honestly think the greatest strength this has compared to last year is our Big 6 on defense. IF they can stay healthy we'll go very far. There seems to be sort of a chain linked effect with Luongo as well, he has such a confidence in his defense he has been playing better too.

Haha it's funny.. These 2 teams have bickered and talked about what would happen and what wouldn't happen 3 years in a row now. I'm gonna sit back and let it happen for the most part, but I do think if our defense holds up we make it through this round.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
Agreed, but I'll find a way to downplay them if we advance against someone with a better percentage than us.

If you aren't doing it then you are not a true fan

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
Well, I double-checked those stats (mindnumbingly), and it looks like he made some mistakes.

Chicago's actual record against playoff teams was 20-15-8. The author made the mistake of having a W%, when it's actually a P%.

48pts out of a possible 86 points in 43 games is a point percentage of .558. 20 wins out of 43 games is a winning percentage of .465.

Vancouver's record against playoff teams was actually 17-12-7. 41 pts out of a possible 72 pts in 36 games is a point percentage of .569. 17 wins out of 36 games is a winning percentage of .472.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
DirkGraham

This isn't a 1 vs 8 matchup in the first round, it's the Presidents Cup winners vs the defending Stanley Cup champions.

I am really looking forward to it! Look what Philly did last year after just squeeking into the playoffs on a save on Jokinen in the shootout vs. the Rangers in the last game of the season.

I read a stat somewhere (and could be quoting it wrong, please correct me if I have)that the Presidents Cup winner has only gone on to win the Stanley cup 7 times in league history. I remember our heartbreaking and tragic loss to Minnesota in 90/91.

Hopefully Vancouver keeps this stat in mind.

Hawks in 6!

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes the clown View Post
I see this series going one of two ways. I'd say there is about a 90% chance we get swept like the bums we are. Or there is about a 10% chance we really do have some sort of voodoo curse on them and we win in 6. I'm praying for the latter but the former is much more likely.
No ****ing way we are getting swept. I am so amped for game one and it's only Monday.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
Well, I double-checked those stats (mindnumbingly), and it looks like he made some mistakes.

Chicago's actual record against playoff teams was 20-15-8. The author made the mistake of having a W%, when it's actually a P%.

48pts out of a possible 86 points in 43 games is a point percentage of .558. 20 wins out of 43 games is a winning percentage of .465.

Vancouver's record against playoff teams was actually 17-12-7. 41 pts out of a possible 72 pts in 36 games is a point percentage of .569. 17 wins out of 36 games is a winning percentage of .472.
Yeah, OT losses don't help much in the playoffs.