HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Blake Comeau a core player?

View Poll Results: Is Blake Comeau a core player?
Yes 36 45.00%
Never has been, never will be 16 20.00%
Potentially, but still hasn't proved it yet 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Augscura

vCash: 500
Is Blake Comeau a core player?

He had his ups and downs this year, but finished with 24 goals and 46 points. Thoughts?

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

If we ever pulled a Blackhawks he would be shipped out, ill say that. He is a great add-on.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:06 AM
luki here

comeau can make things happen. He did towards the end of the season and must have had some other strong spells to reach so many points. A strong 3rd liner and therefor part of the core.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:16 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

I say yes. Homegrown and a 20 goal scorer, makes things happen that some players on the team don't.

That being said, if he were traded I wouldn't be upset because he has value.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
KyleBailey12

I say yes, but he has to show a little more consistency. Comeau is a huge mystery because when he is playing well, he's playing well. On the other hand, when he's on a skid, it's completely terrible to watch.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Mikkel

You see guys like Lupul and Versteeg moved around a lot - they clearly have value to teams, yet at the same time appear expendable (at least compared to other pieces).

I think Comeau is in that class too.

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Macch

I'm going to say no. Comeau is proving he is a very nice complimentary player but moveable for the right price. How many core players can a bottom 5 team have? IMHO the core right now is...

Tavares
Grabner
Nielsen
Streit
Hamonic
AMac

Huge fan of KO but he needs to show me he can take his offensive game to the next level.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Sideshow Bob

Macch is spot-on.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I'm going to say no. Comeau is proving he is a very nice complimentary player but moveable for the right price. How many core players can a bottom 5 team have? IMHO the core right now is...

Tavares
Grabner
Nielsen
Streit
Hamonic
AMac

Huge fan of KO but he needs to show me he can take his offensive game to the next level.
moulson gets ignored? or are there any other reasons not to want a 2 year 30 goal scorer/sniper in the 1st line?

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
kasper11

No. When I think of "Core Player" I think of the guys that you build your team around. That isn't Comeau.

Comeau is a solid player, and I have no desire to move him, BUT...I wouldn't hesitate to do so either.

The Core Players are Tavares, Nielsen, Streit, Hamonic, AMac and potentially Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, Niederetter, De Haan. I look at it this way...If all goes right, Tavares, Bailey and Nielsen are the top-3 centers. Okposo, Grabner and Niederetter are 3 of the top-6 wingers. Our top-4 is Striet-Hamonic-AMac-De Haan. These spots are theirs for the taking.

For Comeau, he fits in where there is room. If we need a second line wing, he goes there. If we need a third line wing, he goes there. If other prospects step up, other players are brought in, Comeau becomes trade bait.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:44 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
So far, Comeau has proven to be more of a core player than KO.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Hipster Doofus

Comeau is fine for his role and has potential to improve. Not a core player, but not expendable either. Someone who would require a top four d-man coming our way for me to consider moving.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Hm...core player....I'd say ONLY Tavares.

Depending on what you mean by "CORE" but there are really important players on this team that I wouldn't trade, period. Of course, the SALARY/CAP HIT means a lot more to what's "CORE" in today's world - just ask the Hawks (losing Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, and others- that although they weren't CORE, still played HUGE roles in a championship) .
They also managed to keep B. Campbell who's hardly "core player"

But as beach put it, Comeau's shown more than Okposo in a lot of ways. Yet, I'd consider Okposo more core than Comeau, oddly. But Comeau's 24 goals is more than TWICE Okposo's pace this year.

The Isles finished with 73 points. That's worse than last year. So to a large extent, those 5 20 goal scorers matter very little. Someone has to score, even on a bad team.

Are these players GOOD enough to bring this team a playoff series win? Who on this team would you go to war with?

While Tavares is the one guy who's got elite POTENTIAL, I'd consider a group of players as keepers to win a playoff series, guys I wouldn't move:

Tavares, Nielsen, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic (no goalie)

Much to prove, replaceable: Comeau, Bailey, Parenteau, Hunter, Konopka, Martin, Eaton, Martinek, Mottau, and the rest. (from this group I remain optimistic and would keep Comeau, Bailey, Hunter, Martinek, Martin and Konopka)

Possibly future core-types: Niederreiter, deHaan, #4 overall this year and maybe the odd surprise like Petrov, Kabanov, Lee, Gregoire, Donovan, Cizikas, Nelson.

Last edited by redbull: 04-11-2011 at 12:08 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I don't understand all the flack Okposo is getting lately. After coming back from major shoulders surgery this year was a total wash for him. It took him a while to find his timing again and once he did, even though he didn't put up lots of points, he played very well. People forget what he did in his first two seasons and seem to only look at the numbers he put up in a wasted season. It's going to be funny next year when Okposo bounces back and puts up the numbers we've been expecting and shuts up everyone doubting him.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
I don't understand all the flack Okposo is getting lately. After coming back from major shoulders surgery this year was a total wash for him. It took him a while to find his timing again and once he did, even though he didn't put up lots of points, he played very well. People forget what he did in his first two seasons and seem to only look at the numbers he put up in a wasted season. It's going to be funny next year when Okposo bounces back and puts up the numbers we've been expecting and shuts up everyone doubting him.
We all hope that happens but he's never had 20 goals in a season. He'll be 23 years old next year and needs to step up soon.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
In his rookie year, he put up 39 points in 65 games, equivalent to 49 points in a full season.
In his second year, he put up 52 points in 80 games.

Okposo has yet to put up top-6 numbers. Now entering his 4th season and aged 23, he needs to show that he is more than a great 3rd line forward. I like Okposo, I think he can be more, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
We all hope that happens but he's never had 20 goals in a season. He'll be 23 years old next year and needs to step up soon.
^ Fully agreed. (I'll come back around to Okposo in a second.)

As for Comeau....I'll agree, he's in a similar class as guys like Lupul & Versteeg. At the same time, I don't think he's yet worth giving up on, considering that he may still peak, and when he peaks, so does his value, in the event that better options start threatening to crack the pipeline and displace Comeau's place on the team.

Considering the FAIL-streak, 46 points isn't bad at all......Grabner had 52, Okie had 52 once. I don't really see how Comeau factors into the core less, other than that he seems to score in bunches, while playing literally half-baked the rest of the time. The observation that Comeau is a complimentary player with a couple more tools than a guy like Parenteau is still spot-on (or close to it), but consider what a complimentary player putting up nearly 50 points on a last place team can do moving forward, IF the team secures a better veteran/leadership presence and he continues to put his game together with an improved pair of linemates.

Consider this: the difference between Comeau and 30-30-60 is only 6 goals and 8 assists
, part of which would likely be there if it weren't for the team sucking for 20 games.....likely his -17 would be a bit closer to even, as well.

As for Okposo, I'd value him 3 hairs higher than Comeau, who is barely a hair above or below Bailey depending on which way Bailey goes from here; beginning of 2011 season or most of his game after. These 3 players are all varying levels of both valuable and expendable, depending on what is offered. Since they're kind of the floor and ceiling of about the same level of development, it's unlikely they get traded together, but all could arguably be dangled with or without other players to bring back a better package.

Would I trade any of them? No. They all have too much upside, and right now Comeau's coming closer to being a 60 pt. power forward than Okposo is, and he's only 25. Comeau still has a ways to go to before he reaches his ceiling, and a lot of time on his hands to get there. In two seasons, with the team around him set to improve as it is, that point total could leap up a bit. Plus, he's doing it from primarily the 3rd line. I don't think I can think of another young top-9 with as much tangibly-increasing upside as this one, other than maybe LA. I like the direction of development with Niederreiter, Comeau & Okposo on one wing and Moulson, Grabner & Martin on the other. If all goes as it's looking to go, I doubt 29 other fanbases will.

He, like Bailey & Okposo, are worthy of another season (or two) to keep rounding their games out. All three have tremendous upside and a long way to go before we can give up on them, as I'd rather not see Comeau become another Bertuzzi and Bailey another Connolly.

Comeau's in the core until he isn't.....either he gets whipped on the depth chart (unlikely for 3 seasons) or someone offers something good enough to offset losing a relatively young, likely 50pt.+ 3rd line power forward.....which is a little more unlikely.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 04-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.
CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

It's very hard for me to word my feelings on this subject.

No, he isn't a core player. not in the sense that he's like John Tavares or Andy Macdonald. If there's a trade out there that makes the Isles better & it involves Comeau, then you don't think twice about it.

However, with the emergence of a true 2nd line, Blake will finally be able to slot into the 3rd line role he's best suited for. So I wouldn't exactly be in any hurry to make a move there either.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Augscura

Some great points in here, redbull and Landmine Springs in particular, can we all agree that a 30 goals and 60 point season is a realistic expectation of Comeau next season? Hopefull with more consistency.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
LAIslanderFan

I don't want to jinx Grabner, but I'm not ready to consider him a core player.
Here are my concerns:
- Why did Vancouver and Florida give up on him?
- Why was his training camp in Florida disappointing (by Grabners own admittance)? Some eastern european players have a tendency to get complacent. Look at Gaborak this year. A player with great speed and skills and the Rangers have benched him on more then one occasion. That's why I'm wondering what happened in training camp in Florida for Grabs.
- Sophmore jinx?
- Teams are now aware of him. He'll probably get paired up with tougher defenders next year. Might not be a bad idea to put Martin with Franz and Grabs to make sure there's not liberties taken by opponants.
- How sturdy is he? He's not a big guy. One hard check in the boards could change everything, especially the way the Islanders have a tendency to get injured. I find myself cringing when I see him behind the net with the puck. He looks so skinny compared to the other players on the ice.

I don't want to tear the guy down, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much after one season. A great season at that.

I know I'm going to hear it, but these are thoughts that have crossed my mind watching him play this year.

Last edited by LAIslanderFan: 04-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Comeau is fine for his role and has potential to improve. Not a core player, but not expendable either. Someone who would require a top four d-man coming our way for me to consider moving.
bingo. he isnt a core player but few are, comeau is a terrific third liner. 20 goals, 40 points and 100 hits? ill take it. the problem is his consistency but few third liners are.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Comeau is a third line forward. That's his ceiling, too. Go around the league. How many of those guys are considered indispensable?

And he's allergic to backchecking.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Some great points in here, redbull and Landmine Springs in particular, can we all agree that a 30 goals and 60 point season is a realistic expectation of Comeau next season? Hopefull with more consistency.
While it remains to be seen, I think it's possible for 4 reasons:

One, he's young enough for a few more years before peaking.
Two, the forwards around him are even younger, with even more upside/time before peaking...and we can really see it.
Three, with the improved defense and goaltending on its way, the forwards will have increased attack time.

Those are the likely ones......the fourth reason is actually the position held by Josh Bailey.

As it's been hashed out repeatedly throughout the season, Comeau often plays better with a centerman who can 'think' for him. Currently the chemistry/consistency of the 2nd line of Grabner/Nielsen/Okposo is strong enough to warrant keeping Bailey as the pivot on line 3. If Bailey can 'up his game' to where it was this previous October, Comeau will benefit from Bailey's game not unlike Parenteau benefits form Tavares, although not as much as a passenger, and at least a little closer to contributor.

I say the position held by Bailey because as some have hinted at, if Couturier becomes Islander property at the draft, he has a chance to displace Bailey back to wing, or make him expendable if they finally decide that Martin's potential is greater than 4th line grinder. Bailey's game could degenerate and another player could be promoted/brought in to be the playmaker for the 3rd line. A billion things could happen between here and camp. It's possible that Comeau's hockey sense improves and he delivers more quality play on his own. Regardless, as the team takes another step forward, he's at the prime age to step with it.

As he was compared to Lupul previously, every trade Lupul's been in was with a D-man and a pick. Until there's a little more valuable parity on the roster, most possible trades are lateral motion, since we currently need some NHL-level help at every position. (differences being when the Islanders are trading for D-men, specifically Wisniewski & Wishart.)

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
In his rookie year, he put up 39 points in 65 games, equivalent to 49 points in a full season.
In his second year, he put up 52 points in 80 games.

Okposo has yet to put up top-6 numbers. Now entering his 4th season and aged 23, he needs to show that he is more than a great 3rd line forward. I like Okposo, I think he can be more, but he hasn't proven anything yet.
I like how being in the top 90 of league scoring makes you a 3rd liner.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Hm...core player....I'd say ONLY Tavares.

Depending on what you mean by "CORE" but there are really important players on this team that I wouldn't trade, period. Of course, the SALARY/CAP HIT means a lot more to what's "CORE" in today's world - just ask the Hawks (losing Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, and others- that although they weren't CORE, still played HUGE roles in a championship) .
They also managed to keep B. Campbell who's hardly "core player"

But as beach put it, Comeau's shown more than Okposo in a lot of ways. Yet, I'd consider Okposo more core than Comeau, oddly. But Comeau's 24 goals is more than TWICE Okposo's pace this year.

The Isles finished with 73 points. That's worse than last year. So to a large extent, those 5 20 goal scorers matter very little. Someone has to score, even on a bad team.

Are these players GOOD enough to bring this team a playoff series win? Who on this team would you go to war with?

While Tavares is the one guy who's got elite POTENTIAL, I'd consider a group of players as keepers to win a playoff series, guys I wouldn't move:

Tavares, Nielsen, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic (no goalie)

Much to prove, replaceable: Comeau, Bailey, Parenteau, Hunter, Konopka, Martin, Eaton, Martinek, Mottau, and the rest. (from this group I remain optimistic and would keep Comeau, Bailey, Hunter, Martinek, Martin and Konopka)

Possibly future core-types: Niederreiter, deHaan, #4 overall this year and maybe the odd surprise like Petrov, Kabanov, Lee, Gregoire, Donovan, Cizikas, Nelson.
You're right about Okposo being core. But he is JUST inside the cut line for core, based his all around play. His 58 points in 2009/10 and the skillset he has to be a 25 goal scorer keep him core for one more year.
Comeau could be considered just outside the core cut line, but he made a damn good case for himself. The league is not loaded with third line 24 goal scorers that can line up in each forward position and can be moved up and down the lines as needed, and used on both special teams as well. That and the secondary scoring he provides that give us 3 lines that can convert with 2 30 goal guys on the 1st, a 30 goal guy on the 2nd , and Comeau and his 24 on the 3rd.
What is strannge is that the numbers don't tell the story. Last year we finished with 79 points and scored 214 goals. This year we finished with 73 points and had 225 goals. In both seasons we gave up 258. The case that with all of the 30 and 20 goal scorers we had this year compared to last did not improve the team standing is a statistical anomaly. If we had Streit the scoring would have been much higher as he is good for 15 himself, and his puck moving and shooting to the net area would have improved the results of the forwards even more, leading to a better finishing position. Goals do count, but in the goofy NHL with loser points, we may have done a bit better last year in picking up those points to get to 79.
Regardless, for now, Comeau is near core and Okposo is just core in my opinion. Build up around them and hope they continue to develop and produce more than they have been. If they can be replaced with a better option, well that is teh way to always go, but that will not be easy to do as it will likely have to come from within.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote