HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Knuble signed to one-year, $2M extension

Old
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Good signing, he's one of the best character as well as role player guys this team has ever had.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Knuble signing means that it's Arnott vs Hannan probably.

Also I think there is a problem that we need top2 defender and have some combination of rather expensive options in Schultz&Hannan&Poti while none of them is good for #2 (~9M altogether).
Disagree on both points. As I demonstrated on the last page, we can likely afford everyone if we can find a way to bury or deal Poti's salary.

I also disagree that the team is in need of a "top2" defender. I think we've got 3 of them. If we found a way to fit Hannan, which is the assumption you've made in that statement, a top-6 of 27-74, 23-52, 55-6 with 4 in reserve is absolutely ridiculous. That's 6 guys who have gotten top pairing minutes for a singificant stretch of time in the last 2 seasons. It's a perfect balance of puck-movers and stay-at-home guys.

Sure, in a perfect world, I'd love it if Ryan Suter dropped out of the sky and onto our roster. But it isn't happening. But we are FINE defensively, and that's before we even consider Orlov.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Never thought I would say this back in December, but Knuble earned this. He's been steady and productive down the stretch, and deserves one more year. Still think he slows down OV at times, but he gets it done when needed.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
This.

Personally, I take Hannan 10 times outta 10. I like Arnott, but we can again acquire another vet C at the deadline next year. Hannan has been a HUGE piece of the teams style transformation, and a vet leader. We need him to stay more than any of the unsigned parts (including Laich). Poti is not an every day D-man due to injuries. If need be, we send him to Hershey (he doesn't have an NMC, right?)

Great signing of Knuble!!!
I agree. Arnott strikes me more as an essential rental than a guy you want to resign, especially for longer than one year. Feds was great in his rental period, too, but he struggled the following season as the second line center. I'm more than willing to give MoJo a shot at the second line center gig, move Laich to 3C, and trade for a complimentary LW to alleviate the cap issue. Hannan, on the other hand, has become a big part of this team. I'd be willing to go to three years, especially with Orlov coming up.

To me, the real question is Poti. Nobody but the Caps knows how serious his injury is. Given that it's supposed to be a recurring problem that he's been dealing with his entire career, then the length of time that he's been out is a huge red flag for me. He could be done. That would explain why the Capitals were willing to take on Wideman's second year, despite a crowded blueline.

If Poti is fully healthy and ready to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Capitals shop Wideman. He's a $4 million backup plan for Green and Poti, and if both Green and an even limited Poti are available, he'll be too expensive to keep around, but he'll have trade value. Both Orlov and McNeill (who's only 24) will be available from Hershey (unlike this past year), so it's not like there's going to be a depth issue.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
EroCaps

I would trade Poti and/or Schultz for next to nothing to keep Hannan. He's been the rock and leader on defense that they've needed for years. To not keep him would be a set-back.

For those wanting to know why I'm so hard on Semin look no further than Knuble's contract.

The Caps could afford 3 gritty players for what 28 makes. If he doesn't show that he's willing to sacrifice for the greater good, play through minor injuries and teams playing non-European ugly NA hockey then I was right and they should have moved him last offseason. If he does these things I'll chow down on that crow.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
C-A-P-S

Phenomenal signing. Love the one year deal...if he continues to produce next season no reason not to reup him for another year.

As for the cap space. It give them more room to lock up the UFAs. Put me in the Hannan camp if I had to chose between Arnott and him but I think the both need to stay.

As Poti or Schultz vs Hannan, I'd send them both off if it meant losing Hannan. Definitely don't think Orlov will be in DC next season.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Disagree on both points. As I demonstrated on the last page, we can likely afford everyone if we can find a way to bury or deal Poti's salary.

I also disagree that the team is in need of a "top2" defender. I think we've got 3 of them. If we found a way to fit Hannan, which is the assumption you've made in that statement, a top-6 of 27-74, 23-52, 55-6 with 4 in reserve is absolutely ridiculous. That's 6 guys who have gotten top pairing minutes for a singificant stretch of time in the last 2 seasons. It's a perfect balance of puck-movers and stay-at-home guys.
By my estimations after signing Laich there is a space for either one of Hannan/Arnott. And that's without free cap space that McPhee would like to have again.

And I find it doubtful that we are fine with 4M player @ 3rd pair with limited minutes. There are just not enough quality minutes for 3 right handed PMD in Green, Carlson and Wideman.

All left handed guys (besides Alzner) have their deficiencies and there are 5 of them with the contracts.

Changing quantity for quality would help. That's what I thought.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:32 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Well deserved. Glad to have him another season. A solid citizen and leader.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Ramon108

Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108
I think it would be better to sign a young player (until 25 years old) for less money. Knuble's time to retire.

Ramon108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:54 AM
txpd

that capitals have no need to get younger.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Is George giving up on UFA Andrew Gordon? Stat wise he had a good year in Hershey. Certainly this signing doesnt help his cause. I kind of envisioned Gordon moving into our lineup by next fall, with Fehr bumping Knuble. So maybe its more about Fehr, or, just George recognizing a great value and doing it regardless of our org's RW depth. Chimera could be transitioning to becoming a RW.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
txpd

I think George as a greater appreciation for the roll experience plays on his hockey team.
There is no chance that Fehr could replace what Knuble brings anymore than Laich can replace what Fedorov did. Arnott can and Arnott seems to prove that the Caps needed more of that kind of experience not less.

I think its more likely that AGordon replaces Fehr than Fehr replaces Knuble. Facts are that Knuble is still a far better player than Fehr anyway.

Hendricks got the bottom six roster spot that Gordon might have hoped for this season.

Presently I see two scenarios where AGordon gets a Caps roster spot.
1. McPhee decides to move or bury King who holds down a roster spot without playing much.

2. Chimera is traded and Gordon takes that slot. Gordon would get a one year deal and a chance to hold that spot til Kuznetsov arrives. Meanwhile if he doesnt hit the spot, McPhee can cover for that with a deadline acquisition.

I

Old
04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Well deserved. Glad to have him another season. A solid citizen and leader.
This.

Now just figure out a way to keep Hannan.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:59 AM
txpd

the rangers: hard working swordsman. the caps.....

Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Hockey8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I would trade Poti and/or Schultz for next to nothing to keep Hannan. He's been the rock and leader on defense that they've needed for years. To not keep him would be a set-back.

For those wanting to know why I'm so hard on Semin look no further than Knuble's contract.

The Caps could afford 3 gritty players for what 28 makes. If he doesn't show that he's willing to sacrifice for the greater good, play through minor injuries and teams playing non-European ugly NA hockey then I was right and they should have moved him last offseason. If he does these things I'll chow down on that crow.

Great post. I totally agree.

Hockey8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Stewie G

Where do you play these magical $2M players? It is all well and good to put it in those terms, but there are only so many spots on the roster. There are enough $2M top 6/top 9 tweeners in the league. The Caps have their share of those players on the team already (Chimera/Fehr/Sturm (theoretically his price point)/Knuble/Laich (soon to be overpaid) There are only so many game changing forwards who, even after 2 unproductive postseason series, average close to a ppg in the playoffs. You can only have so many lunch pail guys on one team. If not, your squad looks like the Rangers.

I yell at the screen as much as the next Caps fan when he takes the hooking penalty you can see coming from a mile away, but I also realize there are only a handful of players in the league that have his top-end skills and can swing a game or series in his team's favor when he hits god mode. I also am continually amazed at how people know which guys are playing through minor injuries, etc. considering how tight-lipped the organization is. That silence allows people to make assumptions that fit their preconceived notions and use it to confirm their bias. Semin has actually played in all 28 playoff games the last 3 years and most people seem to agree that he was hurt on a slash at the beginning on the Pens series. Who knows what other injuries he has had.

I'm all for shipping out Schultz though. I was a big supporter of his for a while, but I'm ready to cut bait.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Where do you play these magical $2M players? It is all well and good to put it in those terms, but there are only so many spots on the roster. There are enough $2M top 6/top 9 tweeners in the league. The Caps have their share of those players on the team already (Chimera/Fehr/Sturm (theoretically his price point)/Knuble/Laich (soon to be overpaid) There are only so many game changing forwards who, even after 2 unproductive postseason series, average close to a ppg in the playoffs. You can only have so many lunch pail guys on one team. If not, your squad looks like the Rangers..
This logic will never get through to some people. Many of us have said similar things in the past. It doesn't make a dent.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post

I'm all for shipping out Schultz though. I was a big supporter of his for a while, but I'm ready to cut bait.
really there are is more than one on that list. In my never humble opinion, Schultz must show he can perform in the playoffs or he needs to shipped out. I'd add to that list if Green lays another pile of rancid sloth feces during this playoffs then his appearance on the availability list should be assured. I know he's been injured but he has yet to have a decent series and that's way too much money for a playoff no show. I'd add Poti to the list as well but mainly because of health issues. If he can't stay healthy then he needs to be dealt, waived or retired.

OT: Good signing. Knoooooooooooble has fit in very well and will continue to do the dirty work to help this team win. The discount shows he really wants to be here too.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

A random thought, why did George ink Knuble right before the playoffs start? If he thinks Knuble would bolt town if he didn't, sure, obvious tag.

Inking Poti in preseason for instance, what purpose did that serve? I guess Knuble may be more relaxed now, not having his status looming over his head. It shoots down the hungry player is a productive theory that I think exists in sports. Not necessarily with a lunch pail guy like Knuble, though.

I dunno, just spitballing ideas. Killing time. Just drop the f'in puck already.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
A random thought, why did George ink Knuble right before the playoffs start? If he thinks Knuble would bolt town if he didn't, sure, obvious tag.

I guess Knuble may be more relaxed now, not having his status looming over his head. It shoots down the hungry player is a productive theory that I think exists in sports.
I don't think the "hungry player" theory has ever been applied to the playoffs. It's about motivating someone to bring it every night during the regular season. Everyone is "hungry" in the playoffs. It's just that some people use their 'hunger' in a positive way, and some choke on their meal.

I think McPhee realizes he has a bunch of signings to make between now and July 1, and he's been talking to these players for a while, and if the right deal can be made, you make it. I think GMGM would laugh at you if you suggested a guy like Knuble would have his play impacted one way or another by the signing of a contract.

Quote:
Inking Poti in preseason for instance, what purpose did that serve?
What purpose? Not every signing has a secondary purpose. It's about locking up a guy you want to lock up when you reach an agreement on a price that you think is fair and sensible. People forget that Poti was coming off a really strong playoff performance. He was our 2nd best player in that MTL series after Ovie. He was +9 in just 6 games (missed game 7 with that freak eye injury). It sucks that he has suffered this ridiculous groin injury that won't heal. That's bad luck.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
really there are is more than one on that list. In my never humble opinion, Schultz must show he can perform in the playoffs or he needs to shipped out. I'd add to that list if Green lays another pile of rancid sloth feces during this playoffs then his appearance on the availability list should be assured. I know he's been injured but he has yet to have a decent series and that's way too much money for a playoff no show. I'd add Poti to the list as well but mainly because of health issues. If he can't stay healthy then he needs to be dealt, waived or retired.

OT: Good signing. Knoooooooooooble has fit in very well and will continue to do the dirty work to help this team win. The discount shows he really wants to be here too.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't just walk away from $5.75M.

Also, when you say waive him, do you mean send him down to Hershey? I don't know if Ted is willing to eat that much money and I don't know how it would look to others. It's not like he's stunk up the joint like Redden. To me, burying a guy because he can't stay healthy would be sending a bad signal.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

yeah Wolve you make good points, but I am a (hindsight 2020) fan of gathering as much data on your player as possible, within reason, before extending someone so far before their contract ends. With Poti, he had an eye to close out the year. Sure it healed, but this groin of his seems to be in play every year. I think he like so many here, recognizes we have a good thing going on in a well to do town, and i see him as a low flight risk.

I had forgotten how well he had done versus monty (which probably drove the deal happening when it did) and yes George cant ink everyone at the same time, but man that contract just seems to be looming as a bad signing, oddly and sadly unless he ends up on LTIR / retires with an injury settlement.

George cant know if Poti will be ready next September. That handcuffs him.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
RE: Poti's injury it seems like we aren't getting the full story yet. I mean 3+ months with a groin problem that doesn't need surgery? Considering he's been having periodic groin problems the couple of previous season doesn't bode well.

I dig the Knuble signing. Got to have some vets in the room even though the caps will still be aggressive promoting their prospects..there is a balance there that GMGM might be finding. Sometimes those vets are available in free agency and othertimes at the deadline. Even if Knuble gets pushed from the 1st line RW he's showed the ability to PK as well so a one year deal makes sense.

04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
txpd

Ive been saying that Poti is headed for LTIR next season. He is just not a subject of conversation. He has reached DJ King status.

I think this is what McPhee meant when he said he had ways of working things out when asked about keeping Hannan after getting Wideman.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
I had forgotten how well he had done versus monty (which probably drove the deal happening when it did) and yes George cant ink everyone at the same time, but man that contract just seems to be looming as a bad signing, oddly and sadly unless he ends up on LTIR / retires with an injury settlement.
Out of all the people on the boards, you were the one who I figured would best remember Poti's fantastic play last postseason. You remember Erskine playing well a couple years ago and Pothier looking decent, but can't remember Poti/Carlson being far and away the best pairing the Caps iced last spring?

I can understand the hesitation to sign him to a 2-year deal like that based on the eye injury and other lingering health concerns, but his play at the end of the year was damn impressive. It reminded me of how Steckel got his deal after his strong showing in the Pens series.