HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

USHL PLAYOFFS - Discussion/Predictions?

Old
04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Feel free to weigh in on Fargo in that regard. I believe that it's safe to say that Jason is on as much of a learning curve from mm as some of his players. But Fargo, unlike Lincoln has a young roster. Massa will be gone. Yevenko too. Your team gets a lot of energy from those two.
Both goalies are gone probably. Gothberg is supposed to be at UND next year.

Thank GOD Yevenko will be leaving. Hopefully Herter can see Wade's talent through those massive glasses. I have no trust in Herter as a coach, he's worthless in my opinion. The roster moves he made late in the year prove that(and Garrett Allen/Ian young trade). Trying to get an entire defense full of puck moving defensemen outside of the Big Idiot is not going to win you a championship. I bet he somehow finds a way to screw up the First Round future's draft pick he got from the Troy Hesketh trade.

As I said, I'm not really a "Fargo" fan, I'm a pretty unbiased observer on the entire league.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Indiana in two games
The Ice offense will not be slowed down by the Blackhawks. Ice went 3-1-0 in four regular season games against Waterloo.

Team USA U17 in three games
I think the kids will take the Lumberjacks. Muskegon's defense is horrid. The U17's went 3-2-0 in five regular season games against Muskegon.

Sioux Falls in three games
This is going to be a great series. Sioux City went 5-2-1 in eight regular season games against the Stampede. Despite their regular season success, and their recent hot-streak, I think the Stampede win this series with the help of home ice.

I think the Fargo-Lincoln series will go three games. Fargo is the only western conference playoff team with a losing home record, but they went 3-1-0 in four home games against the Stars this season. In those four games, Fargo out-scored Lincoln 19-12. Depends on which Lincoln team shows up. They have handily beaten the best in the USHL this season, but other times struggled with last place teams like Tri-City. If the Stars can win game one, they have a good shot at winning the series. If they lose that first game, it's going to be tough to beat the Force in back to back games. Should be a very physical series. I just wish it was closer to Lincoln so I could attend a few of the games.

Last edited by Yeti: 04-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Both goalies are gone probably. Gothberg is supposed to be at UND next year.

Trying to get an entire defense full of puck moving defensemen outside of the (Yevenko) is not going to win you a championship. I bet he somehow finds a way to screw up the First Round future's draft pick he got from the Troy Hesketh trade.
Futures Draft is a joke and an embarrasment because in the end it is almost meaningless. If I had my way it would end.

That said, he coached in the MW league (now the Elite league with USA Hockey's HPC coming) where having 5 offensive players on the ice is paramount. If you look at most of the Detroit area defensemen around the USHL you'll see what I mean. When you further consider how the Elite and the USHL are totally tied at the hip you'll better understand Jason.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Indiana in two games
The Ice offense will not be slowed down by the Blackhawks. Ice went 3-1-0 in four regular season games against Waterloo.

Team USA U17 in three games
I think the kids will take the Lumberjacks. Muskegon's defense is horrid. The U17's went 3-2-0 in five regular season games against Muskegon.

Sioux Falls in three games
This is going to be a great series. Sioux City went 5-2-1 in eight regular season games against the Stampede. Despite their regular season success, and their recent hot-streak, I think the Stampede win this series with the help of home ice.

I think the Fargo-Lincoln series will go three games. Fargo is the only western conference playoff team with a losing home record, but they went 3-1-0 in four home games against the Stars this season. In those four games, Fargo out-scored Lincoln 19-12. Depends on which Lincoln team shows up. They have handily beaten the best in the USHL this season, but other times struggled with last place teams like Tri-City. If the Stars can win game one, they have a good shot at winning the series. If they lose that first game, it's going to be tough to beat the Force in back to back games. Should be a very physical series. I just wish it was closer to Lincoln so I could attend a few of the games.
Agree Indiana. I don't believe U17h has a shot nor do I care about either of those teams. Stated why I believe SC will prevail and I'm liking Lincoln but they are cursed in that building.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Futures Draft is a joke and an embarrasment because in the end it is almost meaningless. If I had my way it would end.

That said, he coached in the MW league (now the Elite league with USA Hockey's HPC coming) where having 5 offensive players on the ice is paramount. If you look at most of the Detroit area defensemen around the USHL you'll see what I mean. When you further consider how the Elite and the USHL are totally tied at the hip you'll better understand Jason.
Shrug. The Future's draft landed Cooper and Justin Wade for Fargo, cornerstones on that defense for 4-5 years between them. It's a draft that can get you a rock of a player for the length of their USHL career.

I definetly "understand" Jason. It would work well if you were playing video games or coaching high school hockey or lower level juniors. All-offensive defensemen don't work in the USHL. The Force are without a doubt the most talented team in the league(going by number of players selected to go to the World Jr As and also number of players drafted in the NHL) and they have severely underperformed. He got rid of a nasty player like Brandon Carlson to the NAHL and brought in a creampuff 15 year old in Keaton Thompson, who all signs point to, will be playing for Team USA next year. Awful. Seriously.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Shrug. The Future's draft landed Cooper and Justin Wade for Fargo, cornerstones on that defense for 4-5 years between them. It's a draft that can get you a rock of a player for the length of their USHL career.
Blind squirrel...acorn.

That said, I don't know what it was 5 years ago. I do know what it has been for the last two and coming up on three.

You have to understand the institutional mentality of the USHL...AAA/USHL/NCAA/ProHockey.

Now look at CHL mentality: AAA/Major Junior/ProHockey.

The USHL is the elite league of the US. It is dominated by 18, 19 and a limited amount of 20 year olds. If you're 19 in the Major Junior ranks you're old and they severly limit 20 year olds.

Right now there is a growing force in the outer reaches of the USHL that is trying to change the institutional thinking of the USHL to make it a pro development league. That force for change was dealt a blow a year or so ago by the inner sanctum but it's still there.

Look at this list and what is it that leaps out at you?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Old
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Blind squirrel...acorn.

That said, I don't know what it was 5 years ago. I do know what it has been for the last two and coming up on three.

You have to understand the institutional mentality of the USHL...AAA/USHL/NCAA/ProHockey.

Now look at CHL mentality: AAA/Major Junior/ProHockey.

The USHL is the elite league of the US. It is dominated by 18, 19 and a limited amount of 20 year olds. If you're 19 in the Major Junior ranks you're old and they severly limit 20 year olds.

Right now there is a growing force in the outer reaches of the USHL that is trying to change the institutional thinking of the USHL to make it a pro development league. That force for change was dealt a blow a year or so ago by the inner sanctum but it's still there.

Look at this list and what is it that leaps out at you?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm
Hey, I've been a strong supporter of any American born player who gets the chance to play in the CHL. They get the best of all worlds. Longer schedule, against better competition and a free college education(oh and they get paaaaidddddd haha). I'm honestly surprised they don't just come out and say the USHL is sponsored by the NCAA. I just think the future's draft is good for kids who are dead set on playing NCAA hockey for a USHL team.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Falls beats City 5-1 in Game 1.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Falls beats City 5-1 in Game 1.
I'm 2 for 2 this week...in being wrong.

Two games left. Maybe.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Switch goalies and a 4-3 OT loss for Falls. Sioux Falls' coach must have had a Herter moment when he tapped Juho for the start after Williams was lights out.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Switch goalies and a 4-3 OT loss for Falls. Sioux Falls' coach must have had a Herter moment when he tapped Juho for the start after Williams was lights out.
I was in transit last night and followed along on P/S for the beginning only. Seems to me that Skoff must have had some game. If P/S is correct then he stopped several flurries including OT.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I was in transit last night and followed along on P/S for the beginning only. Seems to me that Skoff must have had some game. If P/S is correct then he stopped several flurries including OT.

I don't understand the decision to go with Juho. If Williams was in, I doubt there would have even been OT.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Force up 1 game to none and I'm heading over for game 2 tonite. 15 year old Keaton Thompson in his very first fight last nite and won by decision. Didn't know the kid had it in him.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Force up 1 game to none and I'm heading over for game 2 tonite. 15 year old Keaton Thompson in his very first fight last nite and won by decision. Didn't know the kid had it in him.
Fight was pretty even. Thompson fought 16 year old Zack Aston-Reese. AR's been playing in fighting leagues for 3 years and I believe that this is was his first one. I have no idea why they fought. Do you? I thought I saw a Stars player get taken out by Thompson just before they went. Was it Aston-Reese or Shine?

Aston-Reese landed two monster rights at the beginning and fell when a third missed. Thompson then caught him with two or three good rights thereafter and then they both lost their balance. Thompson took some first shot and then came back and that was very impressive.

Aston-Reese played one shift and then came off ice at start of third. My guy there told me he was on bench with ice on hand.

The Indiana/Waterloo series ended as expected. Tarasov continues to look like a man among boys on offense but if anyone wonders why there's a buzz over this player rather than a roar...he just cannot play in his own end.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Force punch their ticket to the second round with a 4-2 win over Lincoln tonite and a 2 game sweep.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Force punch their ticket to the second round with a 4-2 win over Lincoln tonite and a 2 game sweep.
Shows the difference that the playoff experience that the Fargo team has brings. When Lincoln tied it, it was Fargo that got the boost. You could see it right off the face-off.

As for the Muskegon/Team USA series. As I pointed out here last year, half of that TUSA U17 roster wouldn't have made a USHL team. There's not much else to say.

Old
04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Rau sinks the series winning goal for Falls with Williams in net. Booooooooked.

Old
04-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Rau sinks the series winning goal for Falls with Williams in net. Booooooooked.
It was an excellent game. SF must have blocked close to 20 shots.

How Sheva makes that call on Suter though...

Old
04-18-2011, 07:56 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Who makes these schedules? Seriously?

Fargo/Dubuque... Game 1....In Dubuque Wednesday, game 2 friday...

Game 3, in Fargo, SATURDAY....Game 4, Fargo....Monday...Game 5, Dubuque, TUESDAY.

Not one set of back-to-back massive travel days in a series, but TWO. Guess they really don't want people to travel to support their team/league. Jesus Christ. For @#%^s sake, they better hope neither bus has issues as they are gonna be cutting it pretty damn close regardless.

Would have traveled to Dubuque if they scheduled the games relatively intelligently...you know...Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday...hell, Friday-Sunday. To travel 8 hours one way, for one game, only to travel 8 hours back the next day is just retarded.

Old
04-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Who makes these schedules? Seriously?
Venues assume that the season is over after the last regular season game. And while I cannot state with any certainlty that this is the issue here, I believe that if you did a little digging you would find that one, or both, of the venues have booked other events.

The "philosophy" is to keep the playoffs moving along. So, if the choice was a Tuesday or Thursday because a venue was booked on Wednesday, Tuesday will be picked.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:00 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Venues assume that the season is over after the last regular season game. And while I cannot state with any certainlty that this is the issue here, I believe that if you did a little digging you would find that one, or both, of the venues have booked other events.

The "philosophy" is to keep the playoffs moving along. So, if the choice was a Tuesday or Thursday because a venue was booked on Wednesday, Tuesday will be picked.

I can tell you from a Fargo point of view, there's no way that there is anything booked between now and...who the hell knows. It's the biggest waste of millions of dollars and space you could ever imagine. I think they had their second concert there in 3 years a couple months ago. Every 8 months or so, there is an MMA event.

Actually, between now and June 5th, there is ONE event. The ice is basically always open(because no one wants to rent ice that they don't even ready after other people use it for hours...on one of the rare occasions it WAS rented recently, they didn't even bring the Zamboni out after Des Moines had morning practice and they rented it out to an organization right after...classy). You gotta remember the Force is owned by the Arena's owner(hence why both operations are run poorly).. There's no real "negotiating" that needs to be done. The crappy scheduling is most certainly on the USHL's hands. That stuff is just stupid. Seriously.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Actually, between now and June 5th, there is ONE event.
Does that event require taking the ice down and giving 72 hour pre-access to the event?

Again, not excusing anything or anyone. You'd be surprised at some of the requirements that certain events require. The more popular the event, the more demands...

http://www.scheelsarena.com/events/d...sp?eventID=366

I would imagine that given the amount of re-configuration required for UFC, that this is why.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Does that event require taking the ice down and giving 72 hour pre-access to the event?

Again, not excusing anything or anyone. You'd be surprised at some of the requirements that certain events require. The more popular the event, the more demands...

http://www.scheelsarena.com/events/d...sp?eventID=366

I would imagine that given the amount of re-configuration required for UFC, that this is why.
Naw, they use HALF the arena for MMA events(a ring and a bunch of folding chairs...4 hours work tops). Literally. If they can't adequately changeover from ice to whatever(full arena) in 12 hours, they don't deserve to have jobs(which is what I've said about this staff since meeting them). They could have played both games that Sat/Sun, then again, with that staff that 4 hour job would probably take about 16+ hours, so I guess it makes sense that they couldn't plan it that way.

I just think it's stupid. The USHL isn't the NHL. These kids arent FLYING from point A to point B. They are bus'n it. 16 hours of travel for one weekend of games is asinine. If Dubuque doesn't take this series it will be a crying shame, Fargo's gonna have WICKED buslegs.

Last edited by IkeaMonkey*: 04-18-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Edges7

USHL Clark Cup Playoffs – Second Round

Eastern Conference

Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (#1) vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks (#5)

Game 1: Wednesday, April 20th, 7:05 PM – Muskegon @ Cedar Rapids

Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:05 PM – Muskegon @ Cedar Rapids

Game 3: Saturday, April 23rd, 7:15 PM – Cedar Rapids @ Muskegon

Game 4: Monday, April 25th, 7:15 PM – Cedar Rapids @ Muskegon**

Game 5: Wednesday, April 27th, 7:05 PM – Muskegon @ Cedar Rapids**

Green Bay Gamblers (#2) vs. Indiana Ice (#3)

Game 1: Wednesday, April 20th, 7:05 PM – Indiana @ Green Bay

Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:05 PM – Indiana @ Green Bay

Game 3: Saturday, April 23rd, 7:05 PM – Green Bay @ Indiana

Game 4: Monday, April 25th, 7:05 PM – Green Bay @ Indiana**

Game 5: Wednesday, April 27th, 7:05 PM – Indiana @ Green Bay**

Western Conference

Dubuque Fighting Saints (#1) vs. Fargo Force (#4)

Game 1: Wednesday, April 20th, 7:00 PM – Fargo @ Dubuque

Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:00 PM – Fargo @ Dubuque

Game 3: Saturday, April 23rd, 7:05 PM – Dubuque @ Fargo

Game 4: Monday, April 25th, 7:05 PM – Dubuque @ Fargo**

Game 5: Tuesday, April 26th, 7:00 PM – Fargo @ Dubuque**

Omaha Lancers (#2) vs. Sioux Falls Stampede (#3)

Game 1: Wednesday, April 20th, 7:05 PM – Sioux Falls @ Omaha

Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:05 PM – Sioux Falls @ Omaha

Game 3: Saturday, April 23rd, 7:05 PM – Omaha @ Sioux Falls

Game 4: Monday, April 25th, 7:05 PM – Omaha @ Sioux Falls**

Game 5: Wednesday, April 27th, 7:05 PM – Sioux Falls @ Omaha**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well...I was ofer the West and 2 and 0 in the East.

The only "upset" I see is Sioux Fall over Omaha. For some reason, I saw Omaha play more games this year than just about any other team and, frankly, I don't believe that they are the 2nd, or third for that matter, best team in the West. I do believe that Sioux Falls is - especially after seeing them shut down SC last night. SF sweeps.

Dubuque just wears teams down. I heard this same comment out of two coaches this year: "We thought that we were playing well against them but then I looked up at the scoreboard and I'm down 3-0." They are well coached. They run a good system. They have scorers. They have goaltending. I don't see Fargo coming out of this series. Dubuque in 4.

Indiana, on the backs of its scorers, may steal a game from Green Bay but they are not capable of winning 3 out of 5 against them. GB in 4.

Muskegon gets swept.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:05 PM Muskegon @ Cedar Rapids

Game 3: Saturday, April 23rd, 7:15 PM Cedar Rapids @ Muskegon
7 bours.

Quote:
Game 2: Friday, April 22nd, 7:05 PM Indiana @ Green Bay