HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks Question.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Larry Brooks Question.

I don't watch many post game interviews with the players and Torts but there appears to be a lot of animosity between Torts and Larry Brooks. Also, many of you guys seem to dislike Brooks as well. Long story short, why does everyone seem to hate this guy?

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Even his tweets reek of arrogance.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Richard Brads

i personally hate him because in college i was a journalism major. i took a sports writing class and the professor was a sports writer for newsday. one of the assignments was to reach out to professional beat writers and ask them questions about sports jouralism. well guess who was the only one not to get a response from the sports writer they reached out to?

he's also a condescending jerk and his headshot in the paper doesn't do any justice to how ugly he is.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post

he's also a condescending jerk and his headshot in the paper doesn't do any justice to how ugly he is.
Condescending, that's the word I was searching for earlier.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Condescending, that's the word I was searching for earlier.
did you have to use spell check also?

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

You gotta take into account what paper he writes for; his articles are very sarcastic and try to have a very sardonic kind of humor. It's not for everyone and even he pisses me off once or twice a year but he cares about the game and fairness and improving it.

I've met the guy on many occasions, he's a really good guy once you get to know him. He's not as outgoing as a Marty Biron, more of an observer, but a good guy.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Saw him at the Fire Sather rally last year. He really does look like a little troll. As someone said, that little picture in the Post doesn't do him justice.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
OverTheCap

When he's just reporting the facts and not interjecting his opinion, he's fine. But that's a rare occasion indeed. And often times, he will convey his opinion as if it is fact, which is very misleading to readers.

He's also really reactionary and tends to have the most knee-jerk, far-fetched suggestions to what ails this team. He was super-pissed when Gilroy was sent down last year, although he was clearly not ready for prime time, and wanted veteran Rozsival to be sent down instead. That one still boggles my mind.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
the expression on Brian Leetch's face is simply priceless. LOL

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he's stolen stuff off my blog at least 3 times that I can remember. stats and observations i didn't see anyone else besides myself pick up on, next day, he incorporates it into his stuff. he's also stolen stuff right off this message board a few times too.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Can't say I think that i'd love him as a person, but occasionally he does do a good job of getting an inside scoop.

I think his intrusiveness is one of the things torts dislikes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he's stolen stuff off my blog at least 3 times that I can remember. stats and observations i didn't see anyone else besides myself pick up on, next day, he incorporates it into his stuff. he's also stolen stuff right off this message board a few times too.
that's the way journalism works now-a-days, take others peoples stuff and recycle it. You see it all over the place with political sites. Larry Brooks isn't the only one to do it, he isn't even the only writer covering the rangers to do it. Especially now with blogs, people need to get their content from somewhere. Sucks for you though, but one thing you gotta realize is that being a journalist has always been a cut throat business, even more so now that the newspaper is a dying medium.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Imagine Brooks comes across this link and registers for HFBoards just to confront this allegation? That would be an epic forum showdown.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Imagine Brooks comes across this link and registers for HFBoards just to confront this allegation? That would be an epic forum showdown.
It would be better than Ollie and the little girl pictures.

The fact he writes for The Post is the big thing here.

I do like reading him though. Especially because he at least gives his opinion, even if people hate it.

I can't stand reading the generic game recap in ever other paper.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

He's a made man among the players' agents (at least some of them).

Old
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Yeah, as much crap as he does spew in columns (and you can easily tell what axe he's trying to grind 95% of the time), at least he brings a fresh take on covering this team. He embellishes and goes overboard a little too much for me personally, but I'd rather read him than Newsday's stock AP game report stories they run.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Saw him at the Fire Sather rally last year. He really does look like a little troll. As someone said, that little picture in the Post doesn't do him justice.
It really doesn't. I like him, though. What's the point of a beat writer if he always agrees with everything the Rangers do?

04-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Classic, classic Brooksie. What an exchange and slap down by Torts.

Good God but Brooks is the ultimate troll. Even looks like the ultimate troll.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
*shrugs* it doesnt matter to me. i still read his stuff, but im a lil annoyed he took my stuff w/o giving me credit. Don't matter though, it's not like i do this for money. if i did id be PISSSSSED lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:28 AM
BwayBshirt

Most people here...myself not included...don't like the Post. That's the main reason for the Brooks' dislike.

Yet, as others have said, he's the only guy who consistently gives an opinion & isn't just doing recaps of games. For that, I respect him. Don't always agree with him, but respect him.

OTOH, I do think that Spector from the Daily News has potential to be a solid beat writer for the Rangers, but unfortunately his paper gives almost as little attention to the team/sport as the Times.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:40 AM
eco's bones

I don't like the post and some of Brooks' articles are pure speculative ********. That being said I think the war between him and Torts cooled off some this year--and I don't think it did Tortorella a lot of good last year to be staging these post game events. Some think they're entertaining but IMO they can be a distraction for the team--there are no real positives that come from it.

A less exasperated--calmer Tortorella has been able to guide his team through a lot of adversity this year. I prefer that a whole lot more to the Torts we had last year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
I don't watch many post game interviews with the players and Torts but there appears to be a lot of animosity between Torts and Larry Brooks. Also, many of you guys seem to dislike Brooks as well. Long story short, why does everyone seem to hate this guy?
He is a old-school reporter.

You do not want a reporter covering your team that's buds with the players/management. Brooks job for the post is to stir the pot somewhat, and I think we should be extremely greatful to have him covering this team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The war between Torts and Brooks is over. If you watch the press conferences,it's over. Not the old Youtube stuff. Brooks wrote a column about the shootout a few weeks ago and Torts referred to the column later that day in his post game presser. It was after the Philly shootout win. When Torts refused to answer questions after a game recently(Islanders game?),he kidded with Brooks that was one of the those moments they needed to avoid.

I like the Post. Who cares about who owns it or its politics? Who reads the front of the paper? I don't. Brooks is the top hockey writer in the area. He has most if not all of the Rangers scoops. He has been on the beat since 1996. Joel Sherman is the best baseball columnist in NY. They have the two best Sunday columns in NY.

The other Rangers beat writers will all of their access know less than the average fan.

Besides Arthur Staple(columnist),Brooks is the go to guy for Rangers info.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Definitely 100000000000% true. I check out many Rangers boards. There have been plenty of times a board was having a heated debate about trading Player X or benching Player Y or trying 3 players as a line or 2 D as a new pair, then within a week, you see Larry the Moron writing the same stuff.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote