HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Krieger: Avs turning page on their golden era

Old
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
I still think we need a winger to get to the playoffs.

I see Mueller penciled in everywhere but I'd wager that he doesn't play more than 25% of next year. Take out Mueller and a random injury to another winger, and we're back where we were this year.
I have no faith that Mueller will ever do anything of note ever again in the NHL.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
I have no faith that Mueller will ever do anything of note ever again in the NHL.
Yeah I don't either. Unfortunately I think the rest of his career in general is going to be a struggle. Hopefully I am wrong, but I don't see him playing more than 20 games next year. Maybe 15.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Here's my 2011-2012 Colorado Avalanche:

Galiardi - Stastny - Jones
Olver - Duchene - Hejduk
Winnik - O'Reilly - Porter
McLeod - McClement - Yip

Stoa
Koci

Quincey (LD) - Johnson (RD)
Liles (LD) - O'Byrne (RD)
Wilson (LD) - Elliott (RD)

Holos (RD)
Barrie (RD)
Hunwick (LD)
Koci (LD)
Gaunce (LD)
Macias (RD)

Budaj
Elliott

Assumptions:

1) Hejduk comes back but Flash does not. Would love to see Flash back, but we've let Brunette walk before. The status quo for the Avs is to do nothing, and I honestly believe Flash would be resigned by now if he was staying.

2) Mueller comes back for 10-20 games and suffers another setback. I don't think this one is too unrealistic.

Training Camp Battles:

1) Stoa will fight for a roster spot most likely with Olver

2) The third line right side will be contested between Elliott, Holos and Barrie. The left side will be Wilson, Hunwick, Koci, and Gaunce. Quincey will have pressure to produce and stay in the LD rotation. If Liles is moved, things open up on the left side.

Needs:

1) A left winger would be nice.

2) A right handed defensemen will be needed if no one steps up to take the role on the 3rd pairing.

3) Veteran solid goaltender or another Anderson type (guy maybe ready to take #1 role)

Prediction:

I see this team actually worse next year if the status quo is followed and we don't acquire anyone in FA. Losing Mueller (and probably Flash in the future) has really killed this teams plans for its wingers. They've probably acquired them the correct way (proven wingers via UFA or trade rather than a first round pick) but it just hasn't worked out.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

With the cap going up yet again I don't see how the Avs meet the floor without bringing Flash back. They certainly aren't going to throw a big contract at guys like Vokoun, Bryzgalov or Ehrhoff. Even with Hejduk coming back and qualifying the RFAs the Avs aren't there.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:49 PM
NomadJackson

It's somewhat surprising to even hear a Kroenke utter a word about the Avs that's not a prepared press release. I am still skeptical but if Junior sticks to his words post new CBA and the Avs spend I'll give them some credit.

Still, the overpriced ticket prices, bad marketing and presentation, the chintzy-ness of the Altitude game coverage... even if the overall team building strategy is legit... the Kroenke's could and should be doing better.

NomadJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
shadow1

Poor Peter Mueller. 23 years old and his NHL career is finished.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Poor Peter Mueller. 23 years old and his NHL career is finished.
Please, tell me you're joking?

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadJackson View Post
It's somewhat surprising to even hear a Kroenke utter a word about the Avs that's not a prepared press release.
Maybe Krieger actually...you know...asked Josh what he thinks about the Avs insted of making assumptions like Dater or Frei or most of us here on the board tend to do.

I mean this has to be some kind of scoop on all three Avs guys that Krieger actually has Josh Kroenke quotes.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Please, tell me you're joking?
Obviously.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Obviously.
Hey, I've seen dumber comments made about Mueller's future.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:06 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 50
Quote:

Olver - Duchene - Hejduk
McLeod - McClement - Yip

Stoa
Koci

Holos (RD)
Barrie (RD)
Hunwick (LD)
Koci (LD)
Gaunce (LD)
Macias (RD)

Budaj
Elliott

Assumptions:

1) Hejduk comes back but Flash does not. Would love to see Flash back, but we've let Brunette walk before. The status quo for the Avs is to do nothing, and I honestly believe Flash would be resigned by now if he was staying.

2) Mueller comes back for 10-20 games and suffers another setback. I don't think this one is too unrealistic.

Training Camp Battles:

2) The third line right side will be contested between Elliott, Holos and Barrie. The left side will be Wilson, Hunwick, Koci, and Gaunce. Quincey will have pressure to produce and stay in the LD rotation. If Liles is moved, things open up on the left side.

Needs:

2) A right handed defensemen will be needed if no one steps up to take the role on the 3rd pairing.

3) Veteran solid goaltender or another Anderson type (guy maybe ready to take #1 role)

Prediction:

I see this team actually worse next year if the status quo is followed and we don't acquire anyone in FA. Losing Mueller (and probably Flash in the future) has really killed this teams plans for its wingers. They've probably acquired them the correct way (proven wingers via UFA or trade rather than a first round pick) but it just hasn't worked out.
I dont believe they will let Flash walk if hes able to play, because I think they would have traded our best shutdown D for a player if they didnt think he would be part of the team's future. I believe he will be signed for $2.5-3 million for 2 years

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I'm kinda thinking the Blackhawks situation might be contributing to managements philosophy.
That, and they're a little gun-shy because of the cap hell they were put in when the last CBA came in. They really want to see what's in the next CBA before laying down the big bucks.

Also, as I have mentioned in other threads, I think Josh Harding is going to be the Avs no. 1 goaltender next season. Or Giguere if he takes a massive pay cut.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:26 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
That, and they're a little gun-shy because of the cap hell they were put in when the last CBA came in. They really want to see what's in the next CBA before laying down the big bucks.

Also, as I have mentioned in other threads, I think Josh Harding is going to be the Avs no. 1 goaltender next season. Or Giguere if he takes a massive pay cut.
Indeed, something I keep saying as well.

As for our goalie next year, I can see us making Leclaire an offer. The Avs love a reclamation project! I do think that if he can stay healthy, he's definitely worth a shot.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
No it isn't. Building from within is a strong component for sure, but you still need trades and UFA's to make it work. Pittsburgh, Chicago, ect. - These teams combined all three aspects to make their championship teams.
Avs building with players in system. Check.
Avs make a trade that brings the team potential franchise defenseman. Check.
Avs sign a Number 1 goalie in UFA. Pending

Seriously, the Avs are taking the right steps. One thing is looking certain, they will not be in the situation Chicago was put in last offseason when their team was gutted because of the cap. There's a plan in place, some fans may like it, some might not... but they are sticking to their guns. I think it's important they send a message to the fans that they are committed too and determined to build a winner.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post

In a big way... I have believed that all season long too. Also like you mentioned, Chicago was in a cup or bust situation last season because of the quality of players guaranteed to leave. The Avs went through that when the cap was initially set and you can bet they are making sure that isn't happening again.

We might have to accept the fact that until a new CBA is set in stone, the Avs will be holding onto their money before spending. That doesn't mean they don't reach out for a goalie this summer, but it might mean that's we'll really see as far as big signings.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
Quote:

Olver - Duchene - Hejduk
McLeod - McClement - Yip

Stoa
Koci

Holos (RD)
Barrie (RD)
Hunwick (LD)
Koci (LD)
Gaunce (LD)
Macias (RD)

Budaj
Elliott

Assumptions:

Training Camp Battles:

Needs:

Prediction:

So according to you we are getting RNH at #2? Since Larsson and Lando would probably both start for us next year if we got either of them.

AMDZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Avs building with players in system. Check.
Avs make a trade that brings the team potential franchise defenseman. Check.
Avs sign a Number 1 goalie in UFA. Pending

There's the key right there. I would also add getting a competent coach to the list.

I'm so tired of this team not having a #1 goalie. If I see one more season of Budaj/[insert player the Avs are gambling on being a #1], my head will explode.

AvsWraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
There's the key right there. I would also add getting a competent coach to the list.

I'm so tired of this team not having a #1 goalie. If I see one more season of Budaj/[insert player the Avs are gambling on being a #1], my head will explode.
I'm with you there. Watching Andy stumble this season was a surprise to me.... I thought we had our man for a while with him. Getting a reliable No 1 is such a big priority and Elliott proved he isn't that guy, rather a Budaj v.2

Old
04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
I'm with you there. Watching Andy stumble this season was a surprise to me.... I thought we had our man for a while with him. Getting a reliable No 1 is such a big priority and Elliott proved he isn't that guy, rather a Budaj v.2
I disagree. Elliot is 2 years younger than Budaj and already has more experience. Is he in decline this year after last? Yes of course, but Budaj proved a long time ago he is nothing more than a backup. Elliot proved he can be a starter, even if it was only for a little while.

The difference is Elliot could become that guy again, if we're patient. Look at how long Tim Thomas took to come out and look at the dude now.

We keep Elliot as a backup as of now, Budaj is let go. We do need another guy but Elliot could still end up stealing the job back

AMDZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
get a freakin' full-time, quality goalie coach!!!

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Agree. We hire McLean and bothe our goalies start to suck. Coincidence....I think not.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:15 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
We need to clone Mitch Korn and get him to Denver!

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Thuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
I disagree. Elliot is 2 years younger than Budaj and already has more experience. Is he in decline this year after last? Yes of course, but Budaj proved a long time ago he is nothing more than a backup. Elliot proved he can be a starter, even if it was only for a little while.
Elliot's good year was no better than Budaj's here with the AVs when we had some semblance of a defense. Until you get a defense on this team, how can you judge a goalie here? We had our starter in Andersen, but even he couldn't survive this defense. Once he left here and went to that powerhouse in Ottawa, 11-5 and a .939 save %.

Thuro is offline   Reply With Quote