HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part V - 8th... uh, 4th Overall Pick Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
BrodeursCups

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
I can see the Islanders shopping their pick to maybe bring in someone who can help immediately because they really aren't that far off from being a playoff team.
They could be in the mix next season if Montoya is the real deal and streit stays healthy...Probably won't make it, but they're only a few pieces away from the top-8.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:33 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I can see us trading with Florida if Lou has a hard on for a certain prospect and I can see Florida moving it's pick if Couturier continues to slide.
I can see this, but what are we throwing in to make it worth while for Florida? Needless to say, we're not doing this if Merrill, Josefson, or Tedenby are involved. I highly doubt our willingness to package Henrique or Urbom. What's left? We don't have a 2nd this year, and it's not very common to trade up by including future draft picks. Would 1st + Burlon suffice? I'm not sure. Just curious what you, or anyone for that matter, think would have to be added to trade up from 8th to 3rd.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
I can see the Islanders shopping their pick to maybe bring in someone who can help immediately because they really aren't that far off from being a playoff team.
I think the Islanders would be a really good trading partner for this exact reason.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
I think the Islanders would be a really good trading partner for this exact reason.
Maybe Hamilton slides on draft day, the Isles target him, and we move up for Landeskog? Not sure how it'll work.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I can see this, but what are we throwing in to make it worth while for Florida? Would 1st + Burlon suffice? I'm not sure. Just curious what you, or anyone for that matter, think would have to be added to trade up from 8th to 3rd.
I don't think we make great trading partners with the Panthers. I doubt they would risk dropping to #8 and having Hamilton (slightly redundant to Gudbranson) being the BPA.

Burlon's an okay prospect, but not somebody I would go out of my way to drop five places. Realistically, we don't have a lot of ammo to move up.

Florida could probably extract a pick from Ottawa at #5. Sens take Landeskog at #3, and the Panthers get Couturier/Huberdeau/Strome at #5 then could maybe re-package the extra pick for a former Tallon player like Cam Barker.

It'll be tough to move a few spots. Brian Burke tried like hell in 2009 to move up from #7 to get John Tavares or Brayden Schenn.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Maybe Hamilton slides on draft day, the Isles target him, and we move up for Landeskog? Not sure how it'll work.
Maybe something like our 1st + dallas' 3rd + corrente/palmieri?

Old
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Maybe something like our 1st + dallas' 3rd + corrente/palmieri?
Corrente is still a 3rd pairing guy on the Isles and I'm not even sure of that (Streit/Hamonic/MacDonald/Eaton/Jurcina/Mottau all signed for next year). Palmieri doesn't fit the profile of a proven guy that they seemed to want if they had traded their pick last year.

They have Moulson (31 goals), Grabner (34 goals), Comeau (24 goals), Parenteau (20 goals), and Okposo on the wings already. Nino Niederreiter has a good shot at sticking with the team next year as well.

If anything, I can see the Islanders asking Colorado if they have interest in trading down from #2.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Devils1029

Actually, I think our best trading partner could be Columbus at the number 6 spot. Especially if Couturier is still around. They wpould only be trading back two places and I've been reading alot where they need to add a solid stay at home d-man. We have a number of things we could offer up to move up only 2 spots. We could offer Washington's 2012 2nd rounder or a roster player such as Clarkson, Zubrus, or White or Corrente. The idea is that we are going to have to move some salary anyway so why not "sacrifice" a roster player to move up in the draft.

If we can expect that Atlanta would be looking for offense, they'd jump at Couturier if available and if Columbus wants D, then moving back two places probably still lands them their guy. With Enstrom and Buff, I doubt Atlanta would want Murphy who could be what Columbus is after anyway. If we can pull that off, then Atlanta likely takes Strome or Huberdeau. Murphy, Beaulieu, and Siemans, and possibly even Hamilton could al be around at number 8 (but my bet says he goes to the Islanders at Pick #4).

Old
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
apice3*

Ignoring lottery odds for a sec. Based on quick glance of opinions at the boards of the 7 teams ahead of us, here's my top 7 mock draft:

1. Oilers - RNH
2. Avs - Larsson (want to trade a second 1st rounder into the top 10 for a guy like Strome.)
3. Panthers - Couturier (The boards have varying opinions on Landeskog, but most are comfortable with SC)
4. Isles - Landeskog (Most confusing fans of the top 8. Torn on every player. Very, very willing to trade down. Sold on Hamilton and Strome.)
5. Sens - Huberdeau (effectively a general consensus if the previous 4 players are off the board.)
6. Thrash - Siemens (somewhat surprising, IMO. Willing to trade down.)
7. Jackets - Hamilton (board split 50-50 on Hamilton and Murphy. The more experienced posters are siding with Hamilton so I'll value their opinions more.)

That leaves us with a nice choice, IMO. Murphy or Strome. I'm fine with either. What's really shocking to me is how much the other boards are split on Landeskog. If GM's think like the fans do (hint: they don't) then Landeskog can slide further than expected (which would only be to pick 5 or 6 at worst.) Maybe he slips one pick to far and we trade up to nab him. That would be spectacular. That being said, Murphy is looking like our guy at the moment but there's plenty of fans that are on his bandwagon so I wouldn't be shocked if a team took him before our turn.

Let's win the lottery and move up to 4th. That would be something. Otherwise, we're picking either 8th or 9th. We just don't want Boston (via Toronto), Minnesota, St. Louis, or Carolina winning the lotto. That's how we would fall to 9th.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:59 PM
KohoDonuts88
#PATTY400

I think the most likely guy to slide is Couturier. He'll still go top 10, but I'll be shocked if he goes top 3, and won't be surprised if he falls out of the top 5.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
CerebralGenesis

I can see Florida grabbing Couturier

Old
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Tretyak 20

I think Corrente is our only real asset to trade up. I don't really think he'll be enough enticement to move up alot, though. More likely he'd be dealt for another late first if he's moved at all.

I really don't see us drafted higher than 8th unless we somehow win the lottery. But with one of Strome, Murphy or Hamilton likely to still be available, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I would be willing to trade our 1st + clarkson/zubrus. The only thing is if we were to do that I wouldn't want the trade to be with the Islanders. I wouldn't want either of those two playing against us 6 times a year. I think we could make a trade with most of the teams ahead of us (Avs/Panthers/Islanders/Thrashers/Blue Jackets). I excluded the Oilers/Senators because they are rebuilding and they will want the best possible prospect they can get. I don't think it would take too much to move up to Thrashers/Blue Jackets territory. If we offer a Corrente/Palmieri/Vasyunov/Burlon/Gelinas I think we could move up. I don't want to give up anything from 2012 or anyone named Tedenby/Josefson/Henrique/Merrill/Urbom/Wedgewood. I would think about trading the 2nd rd picks in 2012 if we were moving into the top 4 area.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I'm sorry but Zubrus nor Clarkson moves us up in the draft. They are not that valuable. I don't think we could get a 3rd for Zubrus if Lou tried.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
CerebralGenesis

Only thing I'd offer is dallas's pick. That could give us a few spots. That would put us back into the range before the stupid win yesterday. If couturier is there then we do it.

If lou doesn't trade up either, I'd be fine. Notice how none of the teams last year traded up as fowler fell. It usually isn't worth it unless you think that player is going to be superb.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

EDM - RNH
COL - Larsson
FLA - Couturier
NJ - Landeskog
OTT - Strome/Huberdeau
ATL - Strome/Huberdeau
CBJ - Murphy
NYI - Hamilton

8th, WSH '12 2nd & Palmieri to New York for 4th

If you want to draft Kog, you gotta slip in ahead of Ottawa, I can see them targeting him.

That's if Isles want Hamilton.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
EDM - RNH
COL - Larsson
FLA - Couturier
NJ - Landeskog
OTT - Strome/Huberdeau
ATL - Strome/Huberdeau
CBJ - Murphy
NYI - Hamilton

8th, WSH '12 2nd & Palmieri to New York for 4th

If you want to draft Kog, you gotta slip in ahead of Ottawa, I can see them targeting him.

That's if Isles want Hamilton.
I would be really happy if they pulled that off.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
trading up, its gonna happen. get on my train. the kog train.
I would love to see Landeskog here. If anybody can pull off the trades required, it's that noted wizard, Lou Lamoriello.

Quote:
Too logical, too safe. One of the 7 teams ahead of us is going to reach for something. I don't know what team or what player, but someone is going to go big or go home. I could see NYI or ATL pulling a head scratching move at the time that may or may not pay off in the future.
Snow is usually the one who pulls bizarre looking moves out of his ass. Tallon has a spotty track record too.

I agree that someone in front of us will go off the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohoDonuts88 View Post
I think the most likely guy to slide is Couturier. He'll still go top 10, but I'll be shocked if he goes top 3, and won't be surprised if he falls out of the top 5.
I don't think he'll slide out of the top 5. Almost certainly won't be available at 8. But stranger things have happened.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
CerebralGenesis

Hopefully a team reaches for Puempel or Bartschi because I don't want to ship out a 2nd next year to move up a few spots that we deserve to have anyway

Old
04-12-2011, 12:01 AM
kiwidevil

I don't see area reason to trade up unless Lou really see's someone he wants and a team is willing to deal. We are in the top 8 which means we will be getting a damn good prospect. If someone goes off the board, we will have even more choice.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would be willing to trade our 1st + clarkson/zubrus. The only thing is if we were to do that I wouldn't want the trade to be with the Islanders. I wouldn't want either of those two playing against us 6 times a year. I think we could make a trade with most of the teams ahead of us (Avs/Panthers/Islanders/Thrashers/Blue Jackets). I excluded the Oilers/Senators because they are rebuilding and they will want the best possible prospect they can get. I don't think it would take too much to move up to Thrashers/Blue Jackets territory. If we offer a Corrente/Palmieri/Vasyunov/Burlon/Gelinas I think we could move up. I don't want to give up anything from 2012 or anyone named Tedenby/Josefson/Henrique/Merrill/Urbom/Wedgewood. I would think about trading the 2nd rd picks in 2012 if we were moving into the top 4 area.
I'd trade Clarkson to the Islanders just so I can see him fall 8 times a game when no ones around him in an Islanders uniform instead of a Devils.... And I'm one of the bigger Clarkson supporters on this board.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
The final CSB rankings are awfully odd, IMO. They've got Murphy at #9, but that's among North Americans and so excludes Larsson.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68892

1. Nugent-Hopkins
2. Landeskog
3. Huberdeau
4. Hamilton
5. Beaulieu
6. Couturier
7. Baertschi
8. Strome
9. Murphy

Looks promising, anyway.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Couturier dropped to sixth? ROFL. He'll be a Devil, book it.

I was telling people, one of the buses from Quebec was a Drummondville Voltiguers bus, and it had Couturier on the side. It's a sign.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
It wouldn't cost a ton from Lou to move from 8th to 6th so we MIGHT luck out. Either one one of the guys we've been talking about will be there.

Hopefully Lou and Conte see it the same way.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
It wouldn't cost a ton from Lou to move from 8th to 6th so we MIGHT luck out. Either one one of the guys we've been talking about will be there.

Hopefully Lou and Conte see it the same way.
Murphy dropping to 9th is kind of weird. Seeing Baertschi up there is strange. I hope we get Murphy, or Couturier at this point.

Closed Thread